Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Does the golf have remote central locking? A bit pointless otherwise. My Passat (98) had a laser cut (like the top one in your pic) factory flip key...and a second key for the passenger door...and a third for the boot. Should have just did a Mr bean on it with a deadbolt and padlock :P

Stupid Passat

It's pretty clear by the picture that it doesn't. It's central, but not remote. I could get one of those aftermarket ones though like I have in the Bora. Maybe I shouldn't bother with the flip key until I get that sorted.

Wow, 3 keys? Interesting. My Golf is also 98 and 1 key does the job for all 5 doors on it. :)

GvidoR wrote: »
    It's pretty clear by the picture that it doesn't. It's central, but not remote. I could get one of those aftermarket ones though like I have in the Bora. Maybe I shouldn't bother with the flip key until I get that sorted.

Wow, 3 keys? Interesting. My Golf is also 98 and 1 key does the job for all 5 doors on it. :)

I thought you might have had a separate fob or something. I mashed a fob and key together for the Volvo to make a flip key.

My Passat was bought for feck all and for one purpose. To get me from Limerick to Meath on a Monday morning and from Meath to Limerick on a Friday afternoon every week for 6 months on as little fuel and as fast as possible. It did just that and fell apart in the process. Probably had been broken into more times than you've had hot dinners. Poor multiple keyed bastard :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Got some more bits in the post today.

Got 3 colour coded, sapphire black pearl, parking sensors from a breakers in Germany. Guaranteed as working. Need one for the rear and one of my fronts is intermittent depending on the weather. Got a spare obviously.

Also got my 10W LED angel eyes from benzinfabrik. I've used this crowd before. They build great led lights.

20150312_135954_zps96ga9ryn.jpg

Also got a cheapo HUD from eBay. It's a Chinese made brand called ifound h101 HUD. Reviews are 50/50 on good v crap. We'll see.
    20150311_145034_zpsbnpjzxnl_edit_1426170045996_zpsqkknc8go.jpg20150311_145108_zpshbhqyvma.jpg

Will post up when I get them done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Why buy angel eyes? You can make your own!

Well literally a 5 min job to replace.

20150312_152947_zpsx2diuzbd.jpg

20150312_153544_zpsfrbsesjw.jpg

20150312_154710_zpsxoeosgkn_edit_1426176089860_zpsfjwsqlhh.jpg

Replacing the parking sensor is going to be a pox. I can get my hand in under the bumper beside the exhaust and just get my fingers on it. I'll give it a proper shot over the weekend.

• Advertisement

And finally until the interior LEDs arrive, I sorted out the faulty rear PDC sensor.

Rear drivers side middle sensor
    20150313_140644_zpsxvko4niz.jpg

It was a lot easier once I was lying down doing it. Took about 2 minutes to replace. Helps to know the clips location from checking tis beforehand.

Old one:
    20150313_142157_zpsjgdjsfky.jpg

New one (breakers one):
    20150313_142225_zpsde9ooohl.jpg

And fixed: :D
    20150313_141908_zpstc5fov01.jpg

I washed the Golf for the first time today. Not too shabby for a 17 year old car. I also cleaned up the tow hook area, looks a bit better now. Still don't know if I should take it off or keep it.

16804020571_1ee410947a_c.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to take off these screws when I get the new plates.

16182788034_9059f88443_c.jpg

I got the audio equipment almost ready to go in the car as well. :)

16616497888_7e61b0518e_c.jpg

You didn't wash it for 17 years?

You didn't wash it for 17 years?

It'd be weird if I washed it before I bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

How much did it cost you Gvidor, if you don't mind sharing(I know a question only a policeman would ask)? It looks very clean.

nd wrote: »
    How much did it cost you Gvidor, if you don't mind sharing? It looks very clean.

It was a bargain. €390 with 3 full months tax (worth €108) and a small bit of NCT too.

Not if you truly cared about it!;)
    I have my eye on a Yeti, gonna pop round there later and give it a good wash and polish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Keep the tow bar. Great yoke for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Better and cheaper than parking sensors. Not so great for parallel parking though..... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

They are handy alright. Although flat hatchback and estate are not too bad to park at all it's the saloons that I find are harder to park. In saying all that I found the parking sensors handy on the octavia when I was driving that but can't say I miss them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Wish i had front and rear tow bars for the celica. It's the first car that i've had no real grasp of the dimensions of for some reason. I try to gauge reverse parking by how close the spoiler looks to stuff and i'm always a good meter too far away from the petrol pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

What the craic with all the de-wipering of your cars Gvidor?

166man wrote: »

I don't think Id be able to survive without a rear wiper on mine specially in bad weather trying to reverse or whatever with a dirty window wouldn't be great.

166man wrote: »

What do you mean? I've never done it before. The Punto I had was already de-wipered, I replaced the wiper arm on the Colt and the rest of the cars either did or didn't have it.

The main reason I took it off the Golf was because the wiper was rusty and the rubber was falling off, much like the ones on the front. I will either get the cap and de-wiper it properly or just get a nice new wiper. Time will tell.
    Bpmull wrote: »
    I don't think Id be able to survive without a rear wiper on mine specially in bad weather trying to reverse or whatever with a dirty window wouldn't be great.

A few of my cars, like the Bora for example didn't have a wiper on the back and I never found that to be a problem. The Bora could have snow or something stacked up on the boot, but with a car like this, that's not possible so it seems even more pointless, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Estates need a wiper because of the angle of the glass. Dirt builds up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Estates need a wiper because of the angle of the glass. Dirt builds up more.

Never had this problem on the Almera, never understood what people meant by it.
    Lovely Dublin roads probably help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Hatch's are so bad for firing up spray on the back. Focus in particular, on a wet day, back window would be covered in spray in 5 minutes. Quick flick of the wiper and all is good again.

NCT passed for another year. Now certified until May 2016 (93 Corolla). Have become so used to failing on something small, so I was surprised to be told it passed first time around!

The air filter looked pretty horrible, and the airbox was pretty bad as well. Took me a while to clean that.

16810683131_57a78f4446_c.jpg

So here's a temp cone filter job. :P

16604500027_cb83719fef_c.jpg

The engine must have been fairly smothered trying to get air in through that. You will probably notice a bit of a difference when it's replaced. Nothing like fresh filters and good oil to keep an engine happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'd be putting a subaru bonnet scoop on that next, as that filter will be sucking in mostly warm air.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'd be putting a subaru bonnet scoop on that next, as that filter will be sucking in mostly warm air.

It'll do as a temporary

@GvidoR something I always wondered is with the mk3 golf the 3 square lights under the main lights on each side what do they actually do ? Obviously the outer does indicator but is the other ones fog lights or are they for anything at all.

• Advertisement

Yup, fog lights and indicators. The bulbs must be out though because I tried turning them on they didn't work.

I've always liked the USA / Canada style light setup with the indicators constantly on. I'd like to have mine like that too.

kJqME.jpg

Advertisement