Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

You can get an impact driver that takes normal philips heads just like a normal drill and then the usual impact driver my dad has one of each and they are good even with screws.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Cheers lads - will keep that in mind as Plan B :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

My CMax would shake my fillings loose whenever I braked. Decided it was brakes and discs time.
    Fortunately they're relatively easy on that car, wheel off, caliper off, the metal bracket for the caliper and off they come. Well off one came, the driver's side needed a bit of persuasion from my plastic mallet. Now it stops without me being bounced around.

342759.jpg
    Shiny new discs!

342761.jpg
    Grotty, old, warped disc.

342760.jpg
    Drumroll

342762.jpg
    Now stops as well as it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭cletus

Baling twine, almost as useful as duct tape :D

cletus wrote: »
    Baling twine, almost as useful as duct tape :D

All you need is baling twine, wd40, vice grips and duck tape.
    Part of my sub tray is held on with it :-)
    As we say in Clare "if it moves bate it till it doesn't and if it doesn't, bate it till it does"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

All you need is baling twine, wd40, vice grips and duck tape.

This is cars we're talking about dr.f yeah? :)

nd wrote: »
    a 02 corolla hatchback.

I had one of them! Well, 2001. Would you not be better off just replacing it with a new part from a breakers?

YbFocus wrote: »
    This is cars we're talking about dr.f yeah? :)

Add chloroform to that list...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Add chloroform to that list...

Does that smell like chloroform to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Amateurs.. where's the cable ties & disposable gloves?

• Advertisement

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Amateurs.. where's the cable ties & disposable gloves?

Plus pickax, shovel and quick-lime. This list is getting worrying.
    Friends help you move. Real friends help you move bodies.

Universal joint had a little play on the front prop so:

Out with the lump hammer & a socket to bash in the caps:

IMG_5284.jpg

This was one that had rollers still in place, two others had dust where the rollers used be.

Once these were off I used the wire brush and some emery to clean the holes out.

IMG_5285.jpg

Then on to the bench vise to squeeze in the caps onto the new joint:

IMG_5286.jpg
    IMG_5287.jpg

Have no pics of squeezing them in (it was very late last night and I was pissed off :pac: )

The process for putting in the new one is to place the joint in the centre of the yoke, place caps (use a dab of grease in each cap to stop the little rollers falling over) in each side of the yoke and use pressure (vise or hydraulic press, or if you like to live on the wild side - a hammer) to slowly push them in nice and straight.

Once the caps are in too far for the vise to push them in without squashing the prop, place a socket between the cap and vise to allow further movement and push in until the groove for the circlip is cleared, then repeat on all 4 sides and put in the circlips.

Then put in the grease nipple and put a small shot of grease in.

Then replace the prop. :)

Also removed my phone kit, radio, cleaned all the glass & gave a quick run around with super resin polish:

IMG_5288.jpg

Now that looks like a sturdy, old warhorse! Must be nice on the road.

Now that looks like a sturdy, old warhorse! Must be nice on the road.

Sturdy and old - yes.
    Nice on the road - Most roads, but not motorways :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Built for off the road and pulling but a great work horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

New wheel for the E30... more wood to follow ;)

20150323_195440.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Much better than a sparco :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

more wood to follow ;)

I'd say Cartman has wood after seeing that :D

Sturdy and old - yes.
    Nice on the road - Most roads, but not motorways :pac:

Getting sea-sick? :)

Getting sea-sick? :)

Sea-sick, deaf & covered in a thick layer of soot. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I love the combination of cultures. :D

Got the drivers side brakes renewed - yay! Combination of drill, easy-out, screw-driver & hammer did the trick.

But of course nothing is ever simple really. The pistons were so far extended that when they were pushed back into their proper position it filled the brake reservoir. I forgot to check so I now have a nice orange engine check light to try clear. B'ah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

It never rains but it pours eh?

It never rains but it pours eh?
    You said it. And of course, now that I actually need it I can't find my Bluetooth ELM connector thingie. :rolleyes:

Tried about 8 programs on the old cable I have but to no avail so now I've disconnected the battery and will leave it sit for the night. Syringe is ready to remove some brake fluid in the morning, then reconnect battery & cross fingers.

Light comes on again - it'll be off to the garage (undoing all the savings from fitting the brakes myself) :pac:

Sea-sick, deaf & covered in a thick layer of soot. :pac:

I think I seriously like that Jeep! :D That's proper manly motoring.

Top Dog wrote: »
    You said it. And of course, now that I actually need it I can't find my Bluetooth ELM connector thingie. :rolleyes:

Tried about 8 programs on the old cable I have but to no avail so now I've disconnected the battery and will leave it sit for the night. Syringe is ready to remove some brake fluid in the morning, then reconnect battery & cross fingers.

Light comes on again - it'll be off to the garage (undoing all the savings from fitting the brakes myself) :pac:

Syringe it out and see. As for going to the garage, surely you know a guy who knows a guy who has diagnostic equipment?
    Considering what the garage will charge you, you could buy a fault code reader on ebay for the same money, now is the time to buy one.
    Also look up how to clear fault codes, maybe it is possible manually? On her MX5 I just need to disconnect the battery and press the brake for 30 seconds.
    You will have to deal with engine fault codes sooner or later, so no fear and just jump in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Finally finished cleaning up the engine bay this weekend and installed the new induction to replace that old/broken flexi pipe...I pained the engine covers as well but there off in the picture as I was still working, have't cleaned up the chrome yet back is broken from it lol...

343005.jpg

343006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Seen the progess of the engine bay on an other thread.. Looks brilliant..

Syringe it out and see. As for going to the garage, surely you know a guy who knows a guy who has diagnostic equipment?
    Considering what the garage will charge you, you could buy a fault code reader on ebay for the same money, now is the time to buy one.
    Also look up how to clear fault codes, maybe it is possible manually? On her MX5 I just need to disconnect the battery and press the brake for 30 seconds.
    Disconnected battery and syringe lead to no difference.

If I had time on my hands I'd order another connector, but have NCT tomorrow so don't have the luxury of waiting for something to be shipped. Hence having to bite the bullet and go to the mechanic. From what I've read the faults (even when fixed in many cases) need a diagnostic to clear them. :(

Ah well - tomorrow should be ... interesting anyway. :D

• Advertisement

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Finally finished cleaning up the engine bay this weekend and installed the new induction to replace that old/broken flexi pipe...I pained the engine covers as well but there off in the picture as I was still working, have't cleaned up the chrome yet back is broken from it lol...

Did that hurt much? :P:D:cool:

Advertisement