Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

I never really noticed where they were so got the bushings on monday to do yesterday. When I saw where they were I was like WTF! Look in the Haynes manual which said the subframe had to be dropped etc. Looked it up on Google and saw a few fellas say they had done it without dropping the frame.

So I got a 13 mm socket and my ratchet and I'd about 3 or 4 inches of room to manoeuvre it. I'd easily say 70% of the two hours was opening/closing the bolts! My poor wrist is in bits today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I tried it with a 2ft breaker bar and 13mm deep socket, thinking I could access it from the top through the engine bay but not a chance would it move. The thing about the sub frame is a set of alignment pins need to be used so it aligns back correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Cleaned the underside of the bonnet. More work to do in around the engine bay.

16668106378_7f7c1a6d10_c.jpg

Also it turns out that Noccy Mondy was right, there are no front fog lights... just plastic covers.

16854654351_4eafdd4fe7_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

I cleaned the underside of my bonnet too!!! Didn't take any pictures though but I want the NCT man to be impressed :):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

GvidoR wrote: »
    Cleaned the underside of the bonnet. More work to do in around the engine bay.

Also it turns out that Noccy Mondy was right, there are no front fog lights... just plastic covers.

Underneath the bonnet looks super clean now :) you could probably pick up a proper set of foglights for it probably would be a huge job to fit them specially if the switch it already which I think you said before it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ordered a tow hook clip and fitted car mats. Should be collecting a wing liner later, only noticed one was missing. Want it for peace of mind and especially with the NCT on Tuesday you never know what it will fail on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Eventually got around to doing this mod. Makes the world of difference to the look of the whole centre console. Radio doesn't do anything extraordinary, has DAB, which is of no use around here really, but it does have a 6cd changer (don't really use cd's though). Bluetooth still works, as does aux, and voice control, so I'm happy. Main reason for getting it, was because it looked good!

Fitting the radio was the awkward bit, the whole centre console trim needs to come apart!

First off, just pull out the gear gaiter and surround.

25g4hu1.png

Secondly, pull up all the trim around the cupholders, just clips off

7300i8.png

2s0obra.png

Next these little triangles come off, one in each corner, torx 20 screws come off, along with 2 more around the ash tray.

28cil4z.png

2we9l78.png

Centre facia is now loose, 3 connections need to be pulled off to free it up, although I didn't disconnect the climate control plugs, didn't want to go messing with too much.

v7xzc6.png

2ltg0fp.png

zn6ux.png

4 more torx screws around the radio screw off, out comes the radio, plug out all the cables in one go, along with the antenna, and house the new one in. Pop the code in and tune everything back in. Screw it in, back on with the facia and all the other trim and bobs your Uncle.

2rpzh8p.png

A before and after.

3521a91.png

73mnvb.png

Placed an order at Micks Garage.

Air filter
    Oil filter
    4L motor oil
    Distributor cap
    Full set of ignition leads
    Full set of spark plugs

€64.91

Not bad, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Don't speak too soon. MicksGarage aren't as reliable as they'd want you to think.

You might get:

Full set of air filters
    1 litre motor oil
    4 sets of plugs
    Full set of VW distributor caps
    1 ignition lead

GvidoR wrote: »
    Placed an order at Micks Garage.

Air filter
    Oil filter
    4L motor oil
    Distributor cap
    Full set of ignition leads
    Full set of spark plugs

€64.91

Not bad, right?

Not bad at all.

My spark plugs alone cost about €75 :(

• Advertisement

Jesus, I hope not. I've ordered stuff from them twice, haven't had an issue. However, I never got a bag of sweets with my order though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

I got €5 off because I signed up for their newsletter.

They're Beru Z2 spark plugs and Castrol GTX 10w40 oil.

img.php?art=1117131&w=228&h=228&nr=1&format=.jpg

Don't speak too soon. MicksGarage aren't as reliable as they'd want you to think.

You might get:

Full set of air filters
    1 litre motor oil
    4 sets of plugs
    Full set of VW distributor caps
    1 ignition lead

I've never really had an issue with mick except the time my delivery was delayed by a few days. Rang them and it turned out my 5L of 5W30 burst in the post mans van :o Poor post man.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I orderd front and rear Mintex discs from them. I received front Mintex discs in a Mintext box, each disc coated with anti-corrosion fluid and wrapped individually in plastic and generic rear discs which had to coating and no covering in a normal cardboard box. One of the rears had a chunk taken out of the edge.

I sent them back after much debate about 2 weeks before Christmas. Only got my refund late last month after ringing them 4 times about it.

I orderd front and rear Mintex discs from them. I received front Mintex discs in a Mintext box, each disc coated with anti-corrosion fluid and wrapped individually in plastic and generic rear discs which had to coating and no covering in a normal cardboard box. One of the rears had a chunk taken out of the edge.

I sent them back after much debate about 2 weeks before Christmas. Only got my refund late last month after ringing them 4 times about it.

Bad buzz. I thought their customer service was ok, well the one time I had to use it. Forgot to say that they gave me 10% off my next purchase after my order destroyed a post mans van and probably the post of many many people :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I can't say I can fault MG, only on one or two occasions were parts were delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I've placed 4 orders with them without issues.
    One order included a feeler gauge and they were out of stock of it and they rang me to say was it ok to send the rest of the order right away and they'd send the feeler gauge the following week when they had them back in stock. Which they did.

So I've a crack in my rear light. Reading up most rear lights are made from acrylic, and methylene chloride solvent is used to bond acrylic. Anyone know where I can get it in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Replaced the front passenger brake disc and pads.

Had intended doing the drivers side too but got defeated by the 2 screws that hold the disc on so tomorrow I'm gonna have to go at it with a drill and easy-outs. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Top Dog wrote: »
    Replaced the front passenger brake disc and pads.

Had intended doing the drivers side too but got defeated by the 2 screws that hold the disc on so tomorrow I'm gonna have to go at it with a drill and easy-outs. :rolleyes:

Rounded/snapped heads? Please get that job finished. I'm one to do everything in pairs and will let certain things slide for a day or two if the job goes against me except brakes.

nd wrote: »
    I've placed 4 orders with them without issues.
    One order included a feeler gauge and they were out of stock of it and they rang me to say was it ok to send the rest of the order right away and they'd send the feeler gauge the following week when they had them back in stock. Which they did.

So I've a crack in my rear light. Reading up most rear lights are made from acrylic, and methylene chloride solvent is used to bond acrylic. Anyone know where I can get it in Ireland?

What ya driving again dude?

Rounded/snapped heads? Please get that job finished. I'm one to do everything in pairs and will let certain things slide for a day or two if the job goes against me except brakes.
    Rounded unfortunately (and now butchered).

Rest assured the car won't be leaving the driveway till the job is completed though. Besides also liking to do things in pairs, I'd guess that it'd fail its NCT on Wednesday with brake imbalance if I left it as it is.

Top Dog wrote: »
    Rounded unfortunately (and now butchered).

Rest assured the car won't be leaving the driveway till the job is completed though. Besides also liking to do things in pairs, I'd guess that it'd fail its NCT on Wednesday with brake imbalance if I left it as it is.

Is it worth/possible taking a blow torch to it? Did that on a stubborn sump nut recently and worked a treat. I've never used easy outs but heard mixed results

What ya driving again dude?

a 02 corolla hatchback.

Is it worth/possible taking a blow torch to it? Did that on a stubborn sump nut recently and worked a treat. I've never used easy outs but heard mixed results
    Don't have a blow-torch so no way to try it.

I've used the easy outs before. The name is a complete con - there's nothing easy about them. But the few times I've needed to use them they've eventually worked when combined with much swearing and hammering.

Were they screws or nuts? if screws impacts drivers are not expensive and work great.

Screws. I thought impact drivers were only really useful for stuck nuts?

• Advertisement

yeah I think they are actually ideal for your job

this is the type of thing I mean

2011-07-19_205403_impactdriver.jpg

Advertisement