Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Hal1 wrote: »
    Just don't yellow the fogs, tis all I have to say on the matter :).

Ah he's not a total idiot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

What am I driving? A felted up Passat? :pac:

Wouldn't dream yellowing the fogs, they'll be going white LED.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Picked up new 5W LED Marker's for my Angel Eyes

Ignore the grill, they're just stickers that I'm just testing to see if I like it or not :p

Were they a particular LED?
    My son is looking for a set for the E60

He also replaced the kidney grills with black ones and those three stripes;
    YbFocus wrote: »
    You may upgrade the fogs to led now to suit!

Fog are fogs.
    Not blinders :pac:
    Ah he's not a total idiot :)

Would be by putting LED's in the fogs
    What am I driving? A felted up Passat? :pac:

Wouldn't dream yellowing the fogs, they'll be going white LED.

Don't Yellow them
    Put yellow bulbs in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭keano25

Fitted Bosch wipers to the F10, €25 from Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

vectra wrote: »
    Don't Yellow them
    Put yellow bulbs in them.

Wouldn.t be a fan of the lamp full of pish look either!

• Advertisement

Interslice wrote: »
    Wouldn.t be a fan of the lamp full of pish look either!

Doesn't look like that at all :p

He also replaced the kidney grills with black ones and those three stripes

You just get W5w led's.
    Widely available and are a direct replacement.
    Would be by putting LED's in the fogs

Why? They are ok in the parkers and not in the fogs?
    What's the reasoning?

You just get W5w led's.
    Widely available and are a direct replacement.

Cool
    Thought they may be some sort of canbus errors .
    Why? They are ok in the parkers and not in the fogs?
    What's the reasoning?

Simple answer is I wouldn't drive in the fog with just my parks on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Ordered a front lip for the touring and waiting until after I tax the b**ch at the end of the month to throw on the concaves (spare money I hope) I have been looking up rear roof spoiler for it and defuser 2015 going to be an expensive year

Cool
    Thought they may be some sort of canbus errors .

Simple answer is I wouldn't drive in the fog with just my parks on.

No you can get error free ones no problem, had them in the e60 for over a year with no trouble :)

Ha ha ha I don't mean use w5w's in the fog, I had HB4 LED fogs also.
    They are a great upgrade!

sku_138814_2.jpg

• Advertisement

No you can get error free ones no problem, had them in the e60 for over a year with no trouble :)

Ha ha ha I don't mean use w5w's in the fog, I had HB4 LED fogs also.
    They are a great upgrade!

sku_138814_2.jpg

I understand what you meant.
    I meant I would use my fogs in the fog.

LED = BRIGHT light = Disaster in the fog.

Yellow bulb in fog is the way to go.

I understand what you meant.
    I meant I would use my fogs in the fog.

LED = BRIGHT light = Disaster in the fog.

Yellow bulb in fog is the way to go.

Aha I get you, although if they are focused properly to the ground you won't have trouble with light spread blinding you.
    I never did and I'm one of them (pricks :)) who has them on 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Don't put LED's in fogs. There's nothing cheapens a car like chinese blue tinted drls, which is all the fogs wil be if you fight leds to them.

Nightbreaker might still be a little too yellow. If so maybe some branded bulb with a slight blue tint that shines cool white,not gammy blue.

Edit,LED's bright? Maybe,but not the fleabay special h3 hb4 "upgrades". There isn't one shenzen multi smd yoke could beat the output of a boggo h3. Not one that would fit in a headlight anyway.

IMHO, as always.

Don't put LED's in fogs. There's nothing cheapens a car like chinese blue tinted drls, which is all the fogs wil be if you fight leds to them.

Nightbreaker might still be a little too yellow. If so maybe some branded bulb with a slight blue tint that shines cool white,not gammy blue.

IMHO, as always.

You can get decent 4k colour types SC, them chinese copies always blow in a week anyway!

You can get decent 4k colour types SC, them chinese copies always blow in a week anyway!

Well my take on it is this.
    You've seen the led replacements for 60w household bulbs? And the heatsink needed even on ones made by the very best companies with the most efficient drivers and LED's ?

What thermodynamics cheats do you think the boys in shenzen are privy to that they can replace a 55w bulb without any of that!

Measure any shenzen pos for power input. Complete fairy stories in the descriptions. I'm pretty sure the claimed light output is fiction too.

Some of the only decent w5w led lights are made osram and probably Philips. They are proper current driven leds, rather than a resistor from 12v to the led.

Well my take on it is this.
    You've seen the led replacements for 60w household bulbs? And the heatsink needed even on ones made by the very best companies with the most efficient drivers and LED's ?

What thermodynamics cheats do you think the boys in shenzen are privy to that they can replace a 55w bulb without any of that!

Measure any shenzen pos for power input. Complete fairy stories in the descriptions. I'm pretty sure the claimed light output is fiction too.

I'll reverse away from you now :)
    The dreaded "Thermodynamics" has been used, you'll give me nightmares tonight :)

Point taken though, I never thought about testing the bulb, although the lumen output was good!

I'll reverse away from you now :)
    The dreaded "Thermodynamics" has been used, you'll give me nightmares tonight :)

Point taken though, I never thought about testing the bulb, although the lumen output was good!
    I had good led lights for cycling. Still wouldn't match a halogen 55w headlight bulb and definitely not without heatsink etc.

Damn right.. "In this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics " haha.

I had good led lights for cycling. Still wouldn't match a halogen 55w headlight bulb and definitely not without heatsink etc.

Damn right.. "In this forum we obey the laws of thermodynamics " haha.

If you're looking for a good light, I have an Ultrafire XML-T6.
    It's about 2k Lumens and is definitely on par.

Its an amazing light for a single huge led....

If you're looking for a good light, I have an Ultrafire XML-T6.
    It's about 2k Lumens and is definitely on par.

Its an amazing light for a single huge led....

There are good led lights with the right drivers. 50 odd smds driven off resistors aren't gonna cut it as a 55w halogen replacement though!

There are good led lights with the right drivers. 50 odd smds driven off resistors aren't gonna cut it as a 55w halogen replacement though!

Right you know more electronics than I do, I have no head for them :)

All I know is the XML-T6 is a single led?
    Crazy light, on full zoom you get vision for about 300m!
    On no zoom you get vision for 50m, but across a sweep of 120 degrees or so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

I got mine on Sidabra24 which is a BMW oriented parts site. They're a Chinese make but they don't throw any errors, are good in the day and look great at night with no "bleed" whatsoever. €30 for the two as well including shipping so isn't too bad.

http://sidabra24.com/angel-eyes/bmw-led-markers/5-series/e39/251/bmw-e39-01-03-e60/e61-02-07-e63/e64-02-06-e87-03-07-5w-led-markers-white

Those are the ones I got and they fit the E60 too, i think 5W are definitely the ones to go for, the rest bleed too much I think.

With regards LED fogs, I was looking at Cree lights as they get good reviews, the thing about them in the E39 as they are aimed well at the ground so don't really project a beam like the fogs that you might see on an older Micra.

Very happy with these LED's so far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Changed the fuel filter on my dads laguna.

m9nn9d.jpg

Read the full story here!

Giving a hand with the front wheel bearing on another laguna we broke a 1/2 inch teng ratchet. Mad looking to see that sort of steel break like that.

2nb6mwg.jpg

Is that the 1200f? Lovely ratchet, covered by lifetime guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'd never use ratchet to loose any "serious" nut/bolt. Breakers bar first, then ratchet. :)

joujoujou wrote: »
    I'd never use ratchet to loose any "serious" nut/bolt. Breakers bar first, then ratchet. :)

While I'd agree. The ratchet above is a serious yolk! Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

Yesterday I changed the oil and filter on the Punto. This si the muck that came out of it :eek::eek::eek:

FF664D232B544E5BB17EF06E810F80DA-0000363222-0003719107-00800L-16A1EED19CFD4A1281E359B565FDD371.jpg

Really really black, like what you would expect out of a diesel. That's from all the deposits in the engine from the years of neglect it got before we bought the car. Eventually after regular changes it should become nice and clean again :)

Then Today I serviced the CLK. Every time I do anything on that car at all it's so easy and pleasant to work on. They really designed the car with servicing it in mind. It helps as well that the car had a full history when we got it and was well looked after. The oil that came out of it was a rich dark brown :) An awful lot nicer than the muck that came out of the Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Pretty car parts, mmmm.

p1_zps0e6b7153.jpg~original

p2_zps245e95ce.jpg~original

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Yesterday I changed the oil and filter on the Punto. This si the muck that came out of it :eek::eek::eek:

FF664D232B544E5BB17EF06E810F80DA-0000363222-0003719107-00800L-16A1EED19CFD4A1281E359B565FDD371.jpg

Think I have the same make oil pan as you!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Today I changed the plugs and air filter in the Glanza. Info on the correct plug gap is hard to find on the net but I've them set to 0.8 mm and the car feels ok. The old ones that came out were set to 1.1 mm, so now I'm confused. Plug gapping is such a tedious business!

Also attempted to change the oil. I can't get access to the filter! Anyone have any ideas on this? The screw on band that works for most cars won't fit.

IMG_4825_zpsibtyyx6r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Rubber glove.

Advertisement