Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Just wish they made a version with an intermittent rear. Thats even more annoying where its going constantly with only a little road spray being sucked up onto the glass, or its off. No in-between. Its like the nervous drivers who have wipers on full speed when its barely misting. No blummin sense to it. :rolleyes:

So its actually been on since Wednesday, but I'm only getting round to posting it up now. Its stupidly loud, so much so that I've had to give in and re-fit the bung to quieten it down a bit. :o Sounded epic on full chat, but just too boomy when trundling along at 100km/h. :( The fact that its a Wagon probably isn't helping things as there's no isolation in the boot like there would be in a saloon so I may have to look into some sound-deadening for the boot.

Downloaded a sound-meter app just to satisfy my curiosity, and while its not going to be particularly accurate using the phone mic, I got the following readings -

84db for cold idle
    80db warm idle
    70db warm idle + bung

334502.jpg

334501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

OSI wrote: »
    Replaced the rear brake pads on the GTI yesterday. Pagids off, Mintex on. Didn't like the feel of the Pagids at all, heard good stuff about the Mintex so hopefully they'll fare better.

While replacing them I came across a typical German marque problem. An over-engineered solution to a non-problem, under-engineered to save costs. Brake fluid reservoir has a float sensor to detect fluid level integrated into the cap. A cap that takes roughly the same pressure to release, as it does to snap off the connection for the sensor:

3908191903.jpg

Cue hyperbolic "You're gonna f*****g DIE!" style message on the dash.

Ordered a replacement cap/sensor ensemble, and used a bit of Irish engineering to silence the alarm in the mean time:

760436526.jpg

Noticed while changing the pads that the discs are getting a bit thin, so will order those and get them done before the pads are too bed in and I have to replace the lot again.
    Also want to do a brake fluid change again, the Pagid Super Blue get's filthy and spongy far too quickly. Won't bother with it again on a road car.

Being honest I think mintex are only slightly better than budget brands.

On a different note.

Took out the non squeaky progressive brembos and put back in the far better aggressive brembos. Hopefully the colder weather and I'm not driving around with both Windows open it won't be as noticeable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Top Dog wrote: »
    So its actually been on since Wednesday, but I'm only getting round to posting it up now. Its stupidly loud, so much so that I've had to give in and re-fit the bung to quieten it down a bit. :o Sounded epic on full chat, but just too boomy when trundling along at 100km/h. :( The fact that its a Wagon probably isn't helping things as there's no isolation in the boot like there would be in a saloon so I may have to look into some sound-deadening for the boot.

Downloaded a sound-meter app just to satisfy my curiosity, and while its not going to be particularly accurate using the phone mic, I got the following readings -

84db for cold idle
    80db warm idle
    70db warm idle + bung
    Will the bumper not melt/deform with the exhaust hitting of it like that?

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Being honest I think mintex are only slightly better than budget brands.

On a different note.

Took out the non squeaky progressive brembos and put back in the far better aggressive brembos. Hopefully the colder weather and I'm not driving around with both Windows open it won't be as noticeable

Never had any problems with mintex pads.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Will the bumper not melt/deform with the exhaust hitting of it like that?
    Honestly - it might alright.

There's a mount missing which would move it down fractionally if I can source one. Whether or not it'll be too late by then is anyones guess. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Never had any problems with mintex pads.

I haven't had problems but for a few Euro more you can have ebc and few Euro more than that you'll get brembo.

Like if std are 40 ebc are probably 45 and brembo 50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Small thing - glove box had been rattling a bit on the catch. Had some leftover Sugru from another job so I moulded it over the existing rubber stops and left the glove box open for the sugru to cure. Travelled 200 km in kerry without noticing any rattles from it. Result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Small thing - glove box had been rattling a bit on the catch. Had some leftover Sugru from another job so I moulded it over the existing rubber stops and left the glove box open for the sugru to cure. Travelled 200 km in kerry without noticing any rattles from it. Result.
    No greater feat than solving a rattle that's only present once driving, usually at motorway speeds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

advertsfox wrote: »
    No greater feat than solving a rattle that's only present once driving, usually at motorway speeds :)
    I said kerry ;)! No motorway test yet haha.
    The only rattle left now is my cheapo polarised driving glasses for those low winter sun + wet road days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Took advantage of the sunshine to do a swaparoo on the altenator and power steering belts. They had been squeeking a long while and really started slipping now in the wet weather. Intermittent power steering is a bit dodgy. Changing the altenator belt hopefully cured the air bag light that is on half the time too. Thought it was a loose connection :confused:. Time will tell.

2dhi6fb.jpg

Cracked, stretched, worn and chunks missing :cool:. I thought the new belts were the wrong ones when I got them. Brought them back to the motor factor and all :o. Teeth had just worn off the old ones. I hadn't seen a 'toothed' drive belt on a v-shaped pulley before.
    2d9o2mx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

had an a small bit of time between 3.30 and when it got dark around 5, so wasted no time in firing the new back box on and doing a quick oil and filter change!

the car has gone from extra loud to extra quiet :) excuse my superb photography skills.

new box.
    20150116_160057.jpg

new bolts too!
    20150116_160322.jpg

rather dirty under there.
    20150116_163024.jpg

bought this mobil oil in halfords last summer on offer.
    20150116_164043.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

10W40? :eek:

Why oh why? crying.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

joujoujou wrote: »

Why oh why? crying.gif

as i said in another thread, i think this is my 6th vvti and i've always ran mine on 5w30 fully synthetic.

this car had owned by its previous owner for 8 years and they had been servicing it with 10w40, so i thought it would be a bit late in the cars life to change the habit. that and i was quite curious as to see how it performed on it compared to 5w30.

the oil i've just taken out was "MPM" 10w40 semi (Top Parts own brand i think) and after 5000 miles it was chocolate brown but i hadn't had to top it up once in that 5k miles which is very good imo for a vvti with just under 155k miles on it.

the engine is as quiet as a mouse. the biggest sound to be heard in the engine is the aux belt.

we'l see how it goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Oil drinking problem in 4ZZ, 3ZZ and 1ZZ has been fixed in mid 2002 IIRC, so no surprise your's not thirsty. ;)

joujoujou wrote: »

Why oh why? crying.gif
    It's will do the job fine. No need for the dramatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

So as i put in the picture thread, today i done a sump drop on a soon to be boardsies car (not telling who)

10884922_851366644907064_1429003600_n.jpg?oh=2dd3d18f487a7adb9104f61ed169aed6&oe=54BC313E&__gda__=1421599918_0a38a3c8bdc00cfccb36a15b6ed8ec9c

Having done this before i thought, how hard can it be? Well!

The sump nut was that badly rounded it took an hour alone to get off, the exhaust nuts were rounded too, so another 2 hours for them, the easiest part was getting the sump nuts off!

Then I went about prying the sump out, but to no joy, so I disconnected the engine and jacked it up, about 6 inches, still no joy, so I asked for help, and was told, "drop the subframe 6 inches and you'l be grand!" so i done that, still nothing, so it ended up me and another guy disconnecting the gearbox and moving the whole subframe to the right, and out fell the sump at last, looks like it was done before but no harm knowing it now :)

30hu1ko.jpg

Not bad looking at all! And the strainer isn't blocked!

5mfomc.jpg

Not looking forward to putting all this back together to be entirely honest, but it was a learning experience taking it apart none the less!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

So as i put in the picture thread, today i done a sump drop on a soon to be boardsies car (not telling who)

10884922_851366644907064_1429003600_n.jpg?oh=2dd3d18f487a7adb9104f61ed169aed6&oe=54BC313E&__gda__=1421599918_0a38a3c8bdc00cfccb36a15b6ed8ec9c

Having done this before i thought, how hard can it be? Well!

The sump nut was that badly rounded it took an hour alone to get off, the exhaust nuts were rounded too, so another 2 hours for them, the easiest part was getting the sump nuts off!

Then I went about prying the sump out, but to no joy, so I disconnected the engine and jacked it up, about 6 inches, still no joy, so I asked for help, and was told, "drop the subframe 6 inches and you'l be grand!" so i done that, still nothing, so it ended up me and another guy disconnecting the gearbox and moving the whole subframe to the right, and out fell the sump at last, looks like it was done before but no harm knowing it now :)

Not looking forward to putting all this back together to be entirely honest, but it was a learning experience taking it apart none the less!

How is the clutch, if the gearbox is off?

How is the clutch, if the gearbox is off?

Oh no the gearbox isn't off it's only disconnected from the lower mounts, so its hanging on by the top mount and you can move it around, the clutch is as solid as a rock though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Gavman84

So today I finally got around to remapping the St! Took me a good while as was getting an error that it couldn't save the stock map q panic! But it just wouldn't load the tune tried this and that suggested by Dreamscience.
    In the end I went to get battery checked as suggested and all fine it seems. I then said I try it again just after a drive and low and behold it worked! Performance plus installed now makes a nice difference delighted with it! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Mid winter car maintainance is done. There was a bit of a drone from the back of the mothers car the last few weeks. The rear bearing on the passenger side was gone. The bearing comes pre-pressed inside the rear discs so both sides had to be done. 65 euro each for the two units but the discs needed done anyway sp not too bad. Just had 4 hankooks fitted on it yesterday. Some difference from the 1.5mm matadors on it. Like a new car now.

33ng9a9.jpg

2m4qb5w.jpg
    32zhyz9.jpg

Interslice wrote: »
    Mid winter car maintainance is done. There was a bit of a drone from the back of the mothers car the last few weeks. The rear bearing on the passenger side was gone. The bearing comes pre-pressed inside the rear discs so both sides had to be done. 65 euro each for the two units but the discs needed done anyway sp not too bad. Just had 4 hankooks fitted on it yesterday. Some difference from the 1.5mm matadors on it. Like a new car now.

What type of car? Just curious as I never had a car with that set up for rear wheel bearings.

What type of car? Just curious as I never had a car with that set up for rear wheel bearings.

Looks like a megane II.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Probably the easiest rear wheel bearing to change. But the stresses it would be under being part of the braking system, would reduce the lifespan of the bearing I would think.

Looks like a megane II.

Wow you know your cars if you can tell just by looking at them pictures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Interslice did mention his father had a megane before

I've seen a few of these before is all :)

Just to carry on from yesterday, today i got to cleaning the sump out, not too shabby for half an hour!
    That's all the sludge that was in it, and even at that a good bit of it was just gasket sealer, so tomorrow I'll finish it and that'l be ready to go on monday :)

x1g5cy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Using paraffin to clean it up like mr focus and myself the last time? :D

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    Using paraffin to clean it up like mr focus and myself the last time? :D

Ohhh yes! :D Everything smells like the 90's now :P

Advertisement