Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Put 2 indicator bulbs in mine...never even realised my car had indicators:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

...never even realised my car had indicators:P
    Nor do most drivers nowadays :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You mean the "park anywhere" lights? They're great! Some idiots only use 1 side of them when they're still moving!!! Clowns :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Dad?? .................. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Id say waist of money ..... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Finally got my Reversing camera back in operation since I replaced my RNS 510. VCDS from china did the trick :)

Now to reset my service light :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

advertsfox wrote: »
    Your pics always make me want a BMW :rolleyes: :)

Sorry about that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

advertsfox wrote: »
    Picking up one of these lads for the car, don't use my CD player regardless and all the main buttons still accessible (as well as steering wheel). Might get a small tablet too.

61mb8GxKYXL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mountek-Smartphones-Tablets-Dashboard-Functions/dp/B00HMDYH2U/
    This arrived today and man it's unbelievably convenient - doddle to fit, doesn't get in the way of the gearstick and only really hides unused radio buttons. Can't take a picture of my phone in it because my phone is my camera :P Will take one later with the missus phone. I highly recommend this (the magnet sticker just goes on the inside of my phone case). I also learned from the guide linked below that I can remove the main holder to fit anywhere on my dashboard with a crevice - noice!

http://www.quietpc.com/instructions/mountek/nGrooveSnap_UserGuide.pdf

UPDATE: Took a snap of where I've decided to mount it, fits in snugly and looks the business when the phones in place. Best purchase in a while.

2ZJevTI.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Serious gummi pfleging done today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

So blew a bulb last night. Changed it. Then realised that I changes the wrong side of the cars bulb. Changed the other one then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Serious gummi pfleging done today.

Do you find it works. My doors are back squeaking after about 2 weeks

bazery wrote: »
    Do you find it works. My doors are back squeaking after about 2 weeks

Never had a squeak, just preempting any spells of freezing weather after Christmas. Probably no bad idea with frameless doors to keep them treated anyway.
    I've never had a squeak due to door seals,.are you sure it's not hinges or check straps giving you noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Never had a squeak, just preempting any spells of freezing weather after Christmas. Probably no bad idea with frameless doors to keep them treated anyway.
    I've never had a squeak due to door seals,.are you sure it's not hinges or check straps giving you noise.
    Definitely rubber on metal. Its goes for about 2 weeks and gradually comes back over time. Think I need a better product

NBT iDrive retrofit from 2014 F series into BMW E70 X5
    What a nice system.

1.JPG

Fitting the F series screen into the E70 dash frame.

2.JPG
    3.JPG

What on earth is that thing in the middle of the dash?
    Oh yeah the original boring radio from factory, no Bluetooth, no navigation.

4.JPG
    5.JPG
    6.JPG

Old radio out

7.JPG
    8.JPG

The new system is alive!

9.JPG
    10.JPG

Local music dabatase stored on the hard drive contains million of albums pictures so you always know visually what is playing

11.JPG
    12.JPG

3D navigation maps

13.JPG
    14.JPG

Bluetooth module built-in ready for handsfree and music streaming from the phone.

15.JPG

Update on this today

Microphone for handsfree wired and installed.
    NBT radio coded to fit E70 options and disable features that do not exist on E series
    USB port retrofitted and tested fine for music (MP3, FLAC, etcc) and video playing (AVI etc)

Should be done tomorrow, rear camera to connect and put everything back together.

16.JPG
    17.JPG
    18.JPG
    19.JPG
    20.JPG
    21.JPG
    22.JPG
    23.JPG
    24.JPG
    25.JPG
    26.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

WP_20141227_003.jpg

Final pictures of the E70 NBT iDrive retrofit

Microphone installed

23.JPG
    24.JPG

And the camera etc

27.JPG
    28.JPG
    29.JPG

31.JPG
    32.JPG

35.JPG
    36.JPG
    39.JPG

40.JPG
    41.JPG
    45.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Collected a couple of items from the UPS depot in Little Island.

This is one of them ...

333106.jpg

3" turbo-back, 4.5" tailpipe and de-cat up-pipe :cool:

Should sound a little better when fitted :D

Not looking forward to applying the heat-wrap though :o

Top Dog wrote: »
    Collected a couple of items from the UPS depot in Little Island.

This is one of them ...

333106.jpg

3" turbo-back, 4.5" tailpipe and de-cat up-pipe :cool:

Should sound a little better when fitted :D

Not looking forward to applying the heat-wrap though :o

Looks like some serious stuff,,what car is it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

davycc wrote: »
    Looks like some serious stuff,,what car is it for?
    Impreza Wagon. Standard STI exhaust thats currently fitted is just too quiet (though will be kept for NCT appointments) ;)

• Advertisement

Sorry forgot to add the story for the photo this is my new 2.5 inch rs-r concept magic de cat and rear box, not one single muffler it's superbike loud at wot :-) , kept the stock back box and cat for nct time in the summer ;-)
    WP_20141227_003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Right lads here we go :)

As many may know I got an engine for christmas from a ridiculously good friend with a weird sense for presents! The engine had a small knock from the bottom end but could be driven if you really wanted.

I brought it back near home to my mechanic friend with the idea of unloading it and getting to it whenever, but we just kind of opened a few bits and before we knew what was what we found that the head was indeed perfect ...

333122.jpg

We spun her over then and worked underneath and we found the shells had been spun on cylinder two and also in the static points either side of this :rolleyes: (I'll get a decent pic of the damage up close but one even has a tiny bit of the corner missing!)

Here's a pic where the crank was just after coming out

333124.jpg

And all disassembled and laid out, I'm just a bit terrified :)

333125.jpg

Bearing (:cool: :pac:) in mind, that I only got back at 20:15 I find it laughable to be home and washed and ready for work tomorrow! We had all opened and sussed by 23:30.

Onward and upward!

Edit: Just to add, the machine work for the future is to spin the crank etc to polish them, then oversize bearings to suit. New rings to make sure the compression is there (pointless not to when we are at this stage) and also just a quick honing on the cylinders even though they are perfect!
    Add to that a chain and she'll be singing later on this year hopefully!

YbFocus wrote: »

Edit: Just to add, the machine work for the future is to spin the crank etc to polish them, then oversize bearings to suit. New rings to make sure the compression is there (pointless not to when we are at this stage) and also just a quick honing on the cylinders even though they are perfect!
    Add to that a chain and she'll be singing later on this year hopefully!

As in...Wednesday? :P

As in I hope to have a track car running this engine before the year is out :o
    Lots to do and very little time to do it during the week now that I'll be back in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Sorry forgot to add the story for the photo this is my new 2.5 inch rs-r concept magic de cat and rear box, not one single muffler it's superbike loud at wot :-) , kept the stock back box and cat for nct time in the summer ;-)

I was never sure, 3SGE or 3SGTE?

CianRyan wrote: »
    I was never sure, 3SGE or 3SGTE?

3sge it's an original Irish car from new badged as gti-16 :-)

Ha ha ha i was so tired last night i only realised what you were getting at now :)

Next year god Damn ye all :D

3sge it's an original Irish car from new badged as gti-16 :-)

Rare enough sight on the roads now, great that there are people keeping these out of scrapyards/sheds.

Rare enough sight on the roads now, great that there are people keeping these out of scrapyards/sheds.

Thanks I got very lucky with her,original cosmos blue (purple) with a giant envelope full of expensive Toyota main dealer invoices,and every nct cert and matching report from new. Super rare revision 5 too:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I changed both drive belts on the Glanza today. The power steering belt was OK but the alternator belt was chewed out. Half of its width was gone! It's a simple enough job but can be awkward as there isn't much access to get at those bolts.

IMG_4143_zps1f3960bd.jpg

Advertisement