Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Hal1 wrote: »
    Oh look at me with my nice warm garage to work in :p. Tis the only way sure to get anything done at teh moment.

Handy all right. It's my mates house up the road. Tis dry but not really that warm this time of year!
    So last night I was in a hurry driving to Limerick and ended up stuck behind a gritting lorry. Today I cleaned the lights, took the wiper blades off to give them a scrub with a sponge and then stuck them back on and cleaned the lights.

You sure you cleaned the lights ;) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Passed the nct. The tester was kind enough to put the engine management light on during the test. Good thing my mechanic is across the road from the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Gave a quick wash :)

yCJxxyv.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

About time I got around to putting on these badges. €25 for the two. The best and cheapest I could find on ebay. Reapplying the old focus one wasn't going to work, so I got a new self adhesive one.

2wpo7ee.png

op7q4h.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Love the bags of fertilizer graphics you had on the back :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Self-dimming mirror upgrade.

Not plug-and-play - I'd say quite a big amount of work to have it done properly (and well-looking). ;)

E46 mirror bought off ebay (10 sterling + ParcelMotel fee).

Additional feature is blinking LED inside thing called Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer's nose (a.k.a. clown's nose), see picture:

331079.jpg

Mirror's bracket, taken from a toyota mirror:

331080.jpg

Some work done upon it:

331081.jpg

Assembled and painted:

331082.jpg

To be continued - 5 attachments per post limit. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Looks like flicking the switch on the original mirror is a much easier task :p

Unregistered Users

A bit of wiring required - +12V (ignition) and +12V (reverse) will be taken from here:

331083.jpg

And +3V for blinking LED (through additional resistor) from here:

331085.jpg

Wired up:

331086.jpg

And fitted. View from the inside:

331087.jpg

And from the outside:

331088.jpg

The mirror is slightly wider than the one given by toyota, so additional work upon sunvisors must be done. That's job for tomorrow.

331089.jpg

Unregistered Users

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Looks like flicking the switch on the original mirror is a much easier task :p
    Human's lazyness (laziness?) is the main thing that makes technical progress. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

joujoujou wrote: »
    Human's lazyness (laziness?) is the main thing that makes technical progress. :D

I always thought they were a useless feature having never had one on a car I couldn't really see the point. But now since I have one they are class :) you can look away into the mirror even with a cars headlight reflecting in it and never get blinded / dazzled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Bpmull wrote: »
    I always thought they were a useless feature having never had one on a car I couldn't really see the point. But now since I have one they are class :) you can look away into the mirror even with a cars headlight reflecting in it and never get blinded / dazzled.

They are decent in fairness. Drove my mams megane to cork a month or so ago and it found it great on a long motorway trip in a slight fog :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

..Done the same with a Lexus LS400 autodim in the MR2 - well worth the effort :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

So I never thought this morning that this would be going on but the behind the scenes overboost fault finally called time at midday today. I got one of these...

attachment.php?attachmentid=318259&stc=1&d=1256354124

My heart sank..

We stripped the top back, injectors out etc all the way back to the cams, as annoyingly the airbox cover lies over the turbo hiding it from view, but the airbox housing is part of the rocker cover so all must be removed!!!

331135.jpg

So once that was done we were left with the turbo staring at us, we undone bracket onto the side of the block and removed the feed and return oil lines from the block and we took her out. We found Silvestre minding the turbo with a fly swatter :D

331136.jpg

331137.jpg

331138.jpg

Once it was out we took off the oil lines ready for it to be refurbed over the coming days.

331139.jpg

A few other points noted along the way were..

- A build up of gloopy oil deposits in places so we will flush it to ready it for the new turbo.
    - Flexi on the exhaust is totally shot so that is being replaced while it's easily accessed.

That's it, one serious day I knew was coming but thought I would have got a little more notice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

Not something I did, instead some scumbag ripped both side skirts of my GTI tonight while I was in work, you just can't have anything nice:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Killinator wrote:
    Not something I did, instead some scumbag ripped both side skirts of my GTI tonight while I was in work, you just can't have anything nice

Retard probably thought they'd fit his mk4 gt tdi lawd, with the coo and lowered to the balls..... that's really annoying! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Nice work Yb! Your turbo was still much easier accessed than either of the ones on mine!

Nice work Yb! Your turbo was still much easier accessed than either of the ones on mine!

Thanks man :)
    I really can't take all the credit!
    I can only imagine yours being more technical and tight fitting!
    We'll see how it goes back together, anyone can take stuff apart :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 866 ✭✭✭renofan

Killinator wrote: »
    Not something I did, instead some scumbag ripped both side skirts of my GTI tonight while I was in work, you just can't have anything nice:(

That has to be sickening to come out to see. My Uncle came out of a hotel in Sligo one time to find someone had taken the front fogs and associated wiring off his e39 5 series.

YbFocus wrote: »
    I can only imagine yours being more technical and tight fitting!

Here's a side view of mine:

feb17bmw_4.jpg

It would be very easy to work on with the engine fully removed but when it's in place...not so much!

Here's a side view of mine:

feb17bmw_4.jpg

It would be very easy to work on with the engine fully removed but when it's in place...not so much!

Mother of God, even with the dial being such a big block there was oceans of room, thank god for the m5 :)

We're blanking the egr and cleaning the inlet manifold because they are a bit caked.
    We'll flush the engine too which is a sickening waste of oil :( twice :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Do you have an m car aswell ybfocus?
    Those arent the stock e60 diesel dials anyway

Is it not just a pic off the net to show the symbol he has on his dash?

Is it not just a pic off the net to show the symbol he has on his dash?

Yep correct, it was just some image i ripped.
    Although I have an msport steering wheel so technically it's a full msport :D
    I'll put that in the ad when i sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

renofan wrote: »
    That has to be sickening to come out to see. My Uncle came out of a hotel in Sligo one time to find someone had taken the front fogs and associated wiring off his e39 5 series.

It was one of those moment where you just want to stand there and shout out expletives as loudly as humanly possible!

Unregistered Users

Stage 2: sunvisors modified.

Sunvisor's hinge can be easily pulled off.

Before modification:

331198.jpg

Needle file involved...

And result:

331199.jpg

Comparison - sunvisor before and after:

331200.jpg331201.jpg

Finally fitted. Not much clearance alright, but definately enough.

331202.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do the clips still work?

Unregistered Users

Of course they do. :)

Spent a few hours last night between undoing sensors and gaskets and washing the inlet manifold out.
    The stuff coming out was black and really set in it so i left it to marinate in petrol for 24hrs :)

That is all!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Gunk degreaser is great stuff but stinks real bad.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Bought 2nd hand alloys (set of 4) with 3 almost new winter tyres. Went back home and bought 2 new winters straight away. As well as spigot rings. Pics tomorrow (maybe).

Advertisement