Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Holy crap the last hour of rain has been insane. Some major flooding on the back roads here in Carlow. No convection thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As heavy a shower as I have seen in Ireland lasting 10 mins just passing thru Dublin 15, flash flooding certain I would say. No idea if there was thunder, the rain was making too much noise

Trust me there has been a lot heavier elsewhere over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

It might be just the way it looked on radar but it looked like one shower approached the D15 area from the northwest whilst another developed around the Red Cow area and moved in a northeast direction. On radar, it looks like they actually "collided" and merged right over the Blanchardstown/East Lucan/Leixlip area.
    if this did happen, i wouldn't be surprised if there reports of funnels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

highdef wrote: »
    It might be just the way it looked on radar but it looked like one shower approached the D15 area from the northwest whilst another developed around the Red Cow area and moved in a northeast direction. On radar, it looks like they actually "collided" and merged right over the Blanchardstown/East Lucan/Leixlip area.
    if this did happen, i wouldn't be surprised if there reports of funnels

Tornadoes form at the jet stream, which is hundreds of kilometers away from us at the moment, thankfully.

Tornadoes form at the jet stream, which is hundreds of kilometers away from us at the moment, thankfully.

Sorry but that is simply not correct. You should try a bit of googling to obtain the correct information. Incidentally, can you point me to your source that informed you that tornadoes form at the jet stream?

• Advertisement

Here: https://www.uwec.edu/jolhm/EH/Barnier/tornado.htm
    The last factor needed to produce the tornado is the jet stream to be moving at least 150 mph. This sheering action of the three air masses colliding forms the tornado in the part of the storm known as the mesocyclone. If, in this area of the tornado, the wind that is rising up in the mesocyclone starts to change direction the chances of a tornado forming are very likely since this is the main force which causes the spinning action of the tornado. This directional change in wind is known as the vertical wind sheer. The more developed and faster these winds rotate the more compact they become. As they become very compact they will spin faster and faster like a figure skater, who holds her arms close to her body to increase her rotation speed. Most tornadoes spin counterclockwise in the northern hemisphere and clockwise in the southern hemisphere, although they can also reverse these by spinning anticyclonically. Because of this tendency to spin in different directions and relatively small size of a tornado most believe that the coriolos affect has very little to do with the directional spin of a tornado. Although these super cell storms with or without producing tornados are extremely destructive they are the least common of all of the storms.

OK, fair enough, you were misinformed. That particular source did misinform you

This article says the jet stream is responsible for some of the most violent storms and tornadoes:

http://www.tornadochaser.net/jet.html

Can violent tornadoes form away from the jet stream then?

This article says the jet stream is responsible for some of the most violent storms and tornadoes:

We get small tornados... no one ever said a violent tornado.

A tornado would not affect the jet stream. Whilst it is true that the jet stream can be partly responsible for tornado formation, it is not necessary for their development.

I shot the following video on a calm evening a couple of years ago. Whilst still very weak, it was officially recorded as a tornado -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Chance of some thundery showers tomorrow, northeast most at risk.

IZ31uCI.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"However, showers over the midlands and north-Leinster will become widespread today and many will turn heavy this afternoon. A few thunderstorms are likely later as well. " Met É going for some action later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Larbre34 wrote: »
    As heavy a shower as I have seen in Ireland lasting 10 mins just passing thru Dublin 15, flash flooding certain I would say. No idea if there was thunder, the rain was making too much noise

It was pretty miserable around D15 yesterday, raining pretty much all day. During that shower you mention our local park got flooded, there's an all weather pitch in it that never holds water, the kids were looking at it trying to figure out if they should go for a swim or go home. I spotted my neighbours garden was flooded so went out to check mine out, our French drain was overwhelmed and the water started to over flow as it was completely backed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Nasty looking shower getting into South Dublin at the moment.

edit : I'm obviously talking about weather here, not local elections. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Can see that heavy shower on the radar, must be just north of here , just a few spots of rain in the breeze, not even enough to wet the ground. Impressive CB cells visible to the north.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Spoke too soon, belting it down now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Enough for a few thunderstorms to kick off later, but probably nothing too severe today.

TQY9NZy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Yellow warning from met.ie
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Thunderstorm Warning for Munster, Leinster, Connacht, Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan

Some thunderstorms are expected this afternoon and early evening. These will give some downpours in places at times and may lead to local spot flooding.
    Issued:
    Monday 26 May 2014 12:00
    Valid:
    Monday 26 May 2014 12:00 to Monday 26 May 2014 20:00

There's been a few sparks up in the northwest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Fairly intense thunderstorm up here at the minute, I have a go pro type camera set at my door recording it all, although my DSLR is in the boot of my car which my missus took to work with her today :(

• Advertisement

Phone pic of the storm cloud, also is that a funnel forming / trying to form to the left of the hill top :eek:

10262073_10203434146830155_3365641697170631798_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Fairly intense thunderstorm up here at the minute, I have a go pro type camera set at my door recording it all, although my DSLR is in the boot of my car which my missus took to work with her today :(

Wheres here?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

Intense rainfall south of Tullow Carlow , few claps of thunder too

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Wheres here?

Sorry my location used to be there, Newtowncunningham in Donegal. Where I am is looking right up lough Swilly NE direction right at the thunderstorm, unfortunately its happening mostly behind the rain now so cannot see. Its still fairly intense with claps of thunder every few minutes, getting louder too.

308525.jpg

vickers209 wrote: »
    Yellow warning from met.ie

So that means there's gonna be thunder in dublin and nowhere else ;)

Video wrote: »
    So that means there's gonna be thunder in dublin and nowhere else ;)

Except for the fact that there has been a fairly intense storm up here in Donegal / Derry for the past 2 odd hours! :pac:

Except for the fact that there has been a fairly intense storm up here in Donegal / Derry for the past 2 odd hours! :pac:

Yes but you fail to see my sarcasm... if dublin was unaffected and the storms were all over the country except around met eireann headquarters , no warnings would be issued. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Phone pic of the storm cloud, also is that a funnel forming / trying to form to the left of the hill top :eek:

Nice shot but looks more like scud , from that view anyways .

Alot pulse storms today , no organization... so might just do a timelapse and leave it at that . Not a day for photogenic storms with the extra moisture and cloud about .

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Nice shot but looks more like scud , from that view anyways .

Alot pulse storms today , no organization... so might just do a timelapse and leave it at that . Not a day for photogenic storms with the extra moisture and cloud about .

The storm up here has just kicked off big time a bit far away from me but I can still see faint flashes and hear massive rumbles! Seems fairly organised to me, going on since around noon now!

308536.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Yup ... but no shear to keep it going for long . That is right over Tyler Collins .... Lets hope he caught something nice!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement