Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

So is video editing (first three minutes -- why?) -- but yeah, the strike was impressive, I notice that was Monday rather than Tuesday.
    Try and edit lightening videos and cut out all the boring bits to the digital cutting floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Frequent thunder. No flashes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Nice little squall line feature developing on the radar coming down through Laois Offaly region...Keep coming this way please:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes, taking it's time though. It seemed to come to life over Kildare/Wicklow and is moving westwards very slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Low, distant rumbles roughly to the north of Portlaoise for the last 20 minutes or so. Just started lashing it down here now too with some hail mixed in with the rain.

*edit* Just had a much louder clap there now. Getting closer, think I might need to disconnect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Few rumbles here outside Kilkenny, just before the heaviest rain we have had in a few months! It seems to just get heavier and heavier!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭coffee to go

Epic hail here on north side of Portlaoise.

edit - Big bang of thunder too, with a minor electricity flicker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks to be a few cells going up along that squall line or just in front of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Looks like heavy rain is moving into the Dublin metropolitan area. You getting that weatehrcheck? I wonder if this will become electric as it moves southwest???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lots of rumbles all around me now. Electricity flickering off and on.

• Advertisement

North Kilkenny watch out.

BAW297 flying over a very active cell to my south west.

Can see a massive cell shooting up, probably around Casement or a bit closer to Dublin. That is to my SSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Not a drop all day in Bray. (I did have a lie in till noon granted :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

after getting very dark here in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Have posted an updated severe thunderstorm alert for regions around Lough Derg, cells approaching from NNE around Ballinasloe to Portumna. Parts of east Clare, east Limerick, west Tipp and north Cork may also be at risk, torrential downpours, 1 cm hail possible, funnel clouds have been photographed earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Extremely menacing looking cloud moving in from north east . Could be a direct hit 😳
    East Galway 36k from Galway city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

Have posted an updated severe thunderstorm alert for regions around Lough Derg, cells approaching from NNE around Ballinasloe to Portumna. Parts of east Clare, east Limerick, west Tipp and north Cork may also be at risk, torrential downpours, 1 cm hail possible, funnel clouds have been photographed earlier.

We've just had almost exactly what you described in Ballinasloe, MT (excuse familiarity, we haven't been introduced but I'm familiar with your work :)). Huge dark clouds blew up at about 6.20pm or so, then at about half an hour later, we had a couple of rumbles of thunder, a quick flash of lightning and an almighty hail shower-small hailstones at first, then bigger ones about 1cm in diameter. Crazy-assed lightning, swiftly followed by deafening thunder, heavy rain hopping off the ground, followed by more lightning. I'm pretty sure the last flash hit something a few fields away, as the noise was explosive. Brilliant!!! Only complaint was that it didn't last very long. No funnel clouds though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There was absolutely no mention one way or other of thunder on the RTE tv weather bulletins that I saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There's a good ole storm over Denmark at the moment. I can find a live webcam though, only the 60 second stills. We haven't had a good night storm in fookin years.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Hal1 wrote: »
    There's a good ole storm over Denmark at the moment. I can find a live webcam though, only the 60 second stills. We haven't had a good night storm in fookin years.:(

In december there was an incredible storm one night... most probably slept through it though :D

http://www.met.ie/images/lightning/sferic_20131221.gif

It might be just anaprop but it looks like a small but intense cell has popped up around the Dunboyne area, heading in a SSW direction towards Maynooth.

There appears to be a line of north - south orientated showers developing a little way in from the east coast. Convergence???

Looking at some east coast PWSs, it looks like some sea breezes have kicked off with winds between north and northwest a little way inland. I'd say the same is occurring in Co Down where sparks have begun along with very heavy showers.
    In the short term, I would expect some lightning or at least torrential showers in a north - south line between around Navan to around Naas and a little bit to the east and west of that line.

Strike just picked up NE of Kilcock/NW of Maynooth

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

highdef wrote: »
    There appears to be a line of north - south orientated showers developing a little way in from the east coast. Convergence???

Seems to be an element of convergence alright. Those showers not really moving. Some places could get very wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Just noticed that on radar and popped in to see was anyone discussing it. As DOCARCH says, some torrential downpours going to hit some areas through the afternoon. A slow moving line that looks like it won't break up until well into evening.

I'm between Kilcock and Enfield and can see the solid canvass of black just to my east, creeping so slowly this way. Was going to go for a jog but I think I will stay put. I reckon it's gonna get very wet soon and I don't think it's going to be a short shower either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yep.

QgAk6W7.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just had a few loud cracks of thunder, sky very dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

As heavy a shower as I have seen in Ireland lasting 10 mins just passing thru Dublin 15, flash flooding certain I would say. No idea if there was thunder, the rain was making too much noise

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement