Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

That was the most spectacular storm I have seen in Galway, lasted at least an hour and half, still raining, the lightning was forking in all directions have not seen bright orange lightning since a holiday in Spain, the thunder was deafening and the rain was causing flooding on the roads. seems to be over for the time being but can still hear distant rumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Skys goin dark over castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Savage thunderstorm just south west of castlebar!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some nice rumbles indeed, felt it coming all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

I've been on a training course in Tullamore (communicating with and influencing your colleagues-tres dull) but was worth it for the weather on the drive home around 4.30. Fork Lightening, thunder and some of the heaviest rain I've ever driven in - then an hour later back in Dublin, sun splitting the sky.

Oh well back to normality.

Sorry no pics was driving

• Advertisement

Xenji look back towards Westport. Look how black it is now

Camera phone does not do this justice but rotation just north of castlebar. Amazing to watch how vicious the small cloud rotates and becomes a big one

Crazy rain and hail in Castlebar, been many a year since I have seen a shower than heavy here.

Xenji look back towards Westport. Look how black it is now

Yeah it was very dark, does not seem like it is over yet, still hearing faint rumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cant believe all that action JUST missed us . some cool photos from galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nice catch by this guy of Lightning at Salthill today

http://youtu.be/c30jsjnacxo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Met E reporting a violent shower in cork.
    CORK AIRPORT SW 04 VIOLENT SHOWER 10 93 0.2 1005

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Just had a massive forklighting and thunder here beside knock airport,just had another 1

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Hal1 wrote: »
    Met E reporting a violent shower in cork.

Violent shower and only 0.2 mm ? lol

this made my internet today... id hate to think what cork consider bad weather

2cz23bm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Video wrote: »
    Violent shower and only 0.2 mm ? lol

this made my internet today... id hate to think what cork consider bad weather

Too true, whilst this type of weather can be extremely confined, I can see the airport, and no such shower occurred.

I posted earlier that we were having gentle rain. A complete non event in Cork, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fecking low pressure wandering about like a drunk in a carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Zzippy wrote: »
    Lightning 8km to the south of Galway City. Sky gone very dark... would say north Clare/Burren is getting a nice hit and seems to be heading this way...

Yes it began today as a little blue dot to the east of Clare. It developed very quickly and was accompanied by Lightning, thunder and very heavy rain. It started to thunder and clouds grew from about 11am. I was in Lisdoonvarna about 1 pm and it was pretty bad there. However further north it was pretty horredous and non stop all afternoon. Ballyvaughan was cut off and many roads were flooded. Further back the coast a number of properties have been flooded at Fanore and as far as I know emergency workers are still there. The thunder was almost continuous and went on for hours with numerous strikes. I know that we always talk about the weather as it is a good conversational topic but today people were genuinely surprised and taken aback. The rain was relentless and again was extremely heavy all afternoon hence the current problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Pffft total non event in cork today. Was expecting torrential downpours, got normal showers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Im totally sickened, I spent the past 2 days in Salthill/Galway, was a fantastic day there today when I got the train back to Dublin at 3pm, warm, 20C and sunny. I missed out on that storm by a few hours!

Gonzo wrote: »
    Im totally sickened, I spent the past 2 days in Salthill/Galway, was a fantastic day there today when I got the train back to Dublin at 3pm, warm, 20C and sunny. I missed out on that storm by a few hours!

this might make you feel better...

http://www.joe.ie/pic-of-the-day/the-lightning-in-galway-this-afternoon-was-pretty-spectacular/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Not a great vid, each strike causes the camera to do a little refocus, every 5 secs or so at one point.
    307890.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

check out this video from the 19th... you can skip to about 3:40 and keep an eye on that tree ....close call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAzJf3TYbU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭billie1b

Video wrote: »
    check out this video from the 19th... you can skip to about 3:40 and keep an eye on that tree ....close call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nAzJf3TYbU#t=241

Nature is fabulous

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

So is video editing (first three minutes -- why?) -- but yeah, the strike was impressive, I notice that was Monday rather than Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

At last some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Thought I heard thunder earlier down here in youghal

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Couple of strikes and some intense hail/rain in the last 15 minutes in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭traecy1

So is video editing (first three minutes -- why?) -- but yeah, the strike was impressive, I notice that was Monday rather than Tuesday.

Looks like somewhere in the UK. It was quite severe in places there on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Rumble of thunder over Athboy co meath

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement