Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

We have been planning to have a BBQ tmrw for the last few weeks as we are moving house Friday. Somehow I don't think that will be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

heading to youghal tomorrow, hoping there's gonna be a few thunderstorms. it would be sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭pad199207

Strikes from cell over Nenagh

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Spark now around the Arklow area (or just offshore).
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

borrowed from 3fm isle of man,s page
    10390478_10152210117044285_7267827349811987635_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

borrowed from 3fm isle of man,s page...

Nora! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

The latest report from Dublin Airport says that Cumulonimbus clouds have been observed which ain't a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

Just saw this great live lightning website. you can enable audio so that there is a click every time a strike occurs......lots of clicks at the moment!!! A good few other very good features too:

http://www.lightningmaps.org/realtime?lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There appears to be another train of storms approaching the isle of wight. Maybe round 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Could hear thunder a while ago near shannon airport , cell is moving on now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Another MCS heading north out of france , the jammy bastids !
    http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

A great real time lightning feed , only a few seconds delay .

Iancar29 wrote: »

A great real time lightning feed , only a few seconds delay .

will that not decay now without the sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Iancar29 wrote: »

That clump heading out from the north of Spain could have our name on it and might develop?

Very heavy rain here in North Tipp over the last hour. Had a flash of lightning and rumble of thunder circa 19.10.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Video wrote: »
    will that not decay now without the sun?

Not really no as the warm temps and dew points around the channel are good enough to keep it going , and usually , once an MCS forms , it sustains itself for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A status Yellow Rainfall warning for tomorrow,Tuesday,from Met Eireann

Rainfall Warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal
    Heavy thundery downpours are likely tomorrow leading to local spot flooding.
    Very intense rainfall possible over short periods of time.
    Totals of 25 to 40 mm possibly in places.
    Valid:
    Tuesday 20 May 2014 09:00 to Tuesday 20 May 2014 21:00

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yellow Rainfall warning for tomorrow,Tuesday,from Met Eireann

Heavy thundery downpours are likely tomorrow leading to local spot flooding.
    Valid:
    Tuesday 20 May 2014 09:00 to Tuesday 20 May 2014 21:00
    bear grylls will be delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Possible that the remnants of the MCS will survive to produce at least some thunderstorm activity around 0600h to 0800h in south Leinster and Dublin. Will keep an eye on this overnight as for me it is late afternoon, and update around 0300h with an alert if required at that time. The heavy rainfall situation is already covered in our boards forecast although I was going to wait for the morning to issue an alert as it probably won't become too intense until mid-day and afternoon in the west.

Possible that the remnants of the MCS will survive to produce at least some thunderstorm activity around 0600h to 0800h in south Leinster and Dublin. Will keep an eye on this overnight as for me it is late afternoon, and update around 0300h with an alert if required at that time. The heavy rainfall situation is already covered in our boards forecast although I was going to wait for the morning to issue an alert as it probably won't become too intense until mid-day and afternoon in the west.

Its afternoon for you? are you not in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭billie1b

Driving to Enniskillen tomorrow moring at 7am, leaving again to come back to Dublin at 1pm, will I need a boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Video wrote: »
    Its afternoon for you? are you not in ireland?

mt lives in vancouver

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gonzo wrote: »
    the huge train of thunderstorms over Wales and the Irish Sea is the perfect dividing line between the UK Heatwave and the cold atlantic muck over Ireland, eastern Northern Ireland coastal locations should be on the fringe edge of much excitement through the night.

My comment just reminded me that this dividing line of fun was further west and much enhanced back in 1985 when we in eastern Ireland had a night to remember with an almost constant 24 hour thunderstorm! these things are very rare indeed. I was only 12 back then and we all moved to sleep in the Garage as we were afraid of our large BBC aerial being stuck my lightning and crashing through the roof, luckily that didn't happen, but instead we had hailstones are size of small oranges. wish I was older back then and not scared sh!tless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yesterday looked impressive on radar though the storms were quite fast moving and spread over a wide area so on reality most people probably only experienced half an hour of moderate thunder and lightning, certainly not something I'd turn down but probably not as dramatic as the radar suggested.

A couple of years ago there was a major outbreak in England producing something like 65000 strikes, that's what a proper plume can produce! Yesterday was only around 3000-4000 I think so nothing remotely close to what the 1985 storms would have been like

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Short range model has heavy showers breaking out in the southeast around noon, spreading west as the afternoon goes on with some very heavy stuff in Munster.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

looking at what that HI Res forecast for this morning in the east wouldn't fill one with confidence for later predictions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

looking at what that HI Res forecast for this morning in the east wouldn't fill one with confidence for later predictions!
    Yeah. I might even get the grass cut. South west looks good for all the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    My comment just reminded me that this dividing line of fun was further west and much enhanced back in 1985 when we in eastern Ireland had a night to remember with an almost constant 24 hour thunderstorm!!

Yeah i was 8 at the time, i remember it was very hot and sunny during the day so we hit the beach, when we got there we couldnt see anything due to fog, it was crazy, so we left and before we got home the thunder had started, it was terrific, myself and the auld boy spent most of the night standing at the back door watching it all happen, it really was a great night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Good sunshine here at the moment... 16.3c with dewpoints a slutry 14.1c. Perfect fuel for the fire later!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A status yellow rain warning remains, although radio 1 news keeps referring to it as a red warning.....
    Heavy thundery downpours are likely today leading to local spot flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭lolie

Nice little cell just popped up on the radar over Clare , few sparks from it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

lolie wrote: »
    Nice little cell just popped up on the radar over Clare , few sparks from it already.

T21q4br.jpg

Yep. Cells just off the coast from Pembroke heading northwest too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement