Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SteamGifts Boards.ie private group (Discussion Only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Star Lord wrote: »
    It's giving away the games to members of the gaming community that we have here on Boards
    And the key went to a boards member albeit the system glitched and the user already had the game activated. What they do after that situation isn't, or at least wasn't, written down or made a rule anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

And the key went to a boards member albeit the system glitched and the user already had the game activated. What they do after that situation isn't, or at least wasn't, written down or made a rule anywhere.

Do you not find it obvious that you are in the wrong. When everyone else seems to have a problem with what you did and you are nah lads I'm grand with it

It's obvious that everyone doesn't like it now since we've had a few pages saying that. Before that, no, it wasn't obvious written as a rule or explained anywhere how to handle this situation or else face blacklisting and what I don't appreciate is being called devious or intentionally malicious or even 'against the spirit' of gifting for what I consider a very normal action to take (trying to gift the key without 'winning' any steamgift points no less). The key wasn't redeemed and I said reroll the damn thing in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

... what I don't appreciate is being called devious...

That's twice you've said I called you devious, when I didn't say anything of the sort. I didn't even imply it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I have a very casual approach to game gifting
    what I don't appreciate is being called devious or intentionally malicious or even 'against the spirit' of gifting.

-$928.57

Yup

Disclaimer: My ratio isn't perfect either. 2:1 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Korvanica wrote: »
    -$928.57

Yup

This is the exact problem with being able to look up what some people have given away or not.
    I always thought the idea behind this group was to give games away to active boards.ie members. We'd be far better off making sure the group has active members rather than getting caught up on who gave away what.

If you are worried that the game might go to someone you don't want it to go to, put the level up.

RobertNinja has clearly said that he didn't think what he did was a problem. He knows it is now and I doubt he'll do it again.
    Hell, the amount of shit he has gotten over this, it wouldn't surprise me if you'd put him off entering any more giveaways. Or worse, driven him away from the "community" altogether. It's certainly putting me off.
    Great spirit...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Christ the last few pages of this have been very cringe and going around in circles. Some people are taking this group far too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Maybe people need to play a few games to de-stress themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

d31b0y wrote: »
    RobertNinja has clearly said that he didn't think what he did was a problem. He knows it is now and I doubt he'll do it again.
    Hell, the amount of shit he has gotten over this, it wouldn't surprise me if you'd put him off entering any more giveaways. Or worse, driven him away from the "community" altogether. It's certainly putting me off.
    Great spirit...

Actually he's done the opposite and created a give away.

Remouad wrote: »
    Actually he's done the opposite and created a give away.

Actually that was meant to be my signoff giveaway. I was thinking of adding more, then deleting my boards.ie account once the winners all confirmed the gifts. I was going to mention it but thought that would seem like too much drama which we've had enough of so far. Just the fact that that you think it's good strategy to try and scare others into into gifting more is reason enough for me to step out. Whatever spirit of gifting is going on here isn't jiving with me and I think it's obvious it is in fact a popularity system of some sort or at least shaming those who take more than they receive is acceptable.
    Korvanica wrote: »
    -$928.57

Yup

For the sake of future users there should probably rules listed that there's a share ratio quota and if they don't meet it they'll be shamed on the forums and potentially blacklisted by other users.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Right, i'm going to stop this here. From now on, in case anyone isn't aware, if you win a key that you already have, request a re-roll.

If people agree, I'll stick some basic rules in the first post of the main thread.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kiith wrote: »
    Right, i'm going to stop this here. From now on, in case anyone isn't aware, if you win a key that you already have, request a re-roll.

If people agree, I'll stick some basic rules in the first post of the main thread.

I believe that's one of the rules of steamgifts anyway. Or at least, you have to activate any wins on the account which you have signed into steamgifts with which is practically the same thing.

you have to activate any wins on the account which you have signed into steamgifts with which is practically the same thing.

This is correct. And is what happened.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

One of the last gift links I sent didn't work and claimed to already be redeemed. I've asked HB about it and they say my account was compromised and they've reset keys. They've been pretty vague, and used stock answers, so I don't know if they've reset more than the one in question. If anyone finds a key wrongly revoked/link broken, tell me as soon as possible. I'm attempting to get more hard info from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Were you using 2FA (Authy/Google Authenticator etc) Spear?

If you were then all good. (but would make it harder for HB to say your account was comprimised)

If anyone is reading this then they should set up it on HB (and other sites)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No, no 2FA in my case. The password wasn't reset or altered. One way this could have happened is that password I had used on other compromised sites was ran against HB. But HB are maddeningly vague and slow in their answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Guys quite a few games to give away myself how do I join the group is there requirements at all?

Guys quite a few games to give away myself how do I join the group is there requirements at all?

Requirements are in the first post, so just post your Steam ID so I can add you.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭seany212121

Spear wrote: »
    Requirements are in the first post, so just post your Steam ID so I can add you.

Dont see any requirements in the fitst post but sure fire away my steam id is seany212121
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/ijioj/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Dont see any requirements in the fitst post but sure fire away my steam id is seany212121

It's actually the first post in this thread, which is where the actual giveaways are listed.

Welcome to the group.

• Advertisement

Sorry, wrong thread.

But Steam now requires users to add someone as a friend before they can be invited, so I've sent the friend invite.

Spear wrote: »
    Sorry, wrong thread.

But Steam now requires users to add someone as a friend before they can be invited, so I've sent the friend invite.

And group invite now sent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

http://steamcommunity.com/id/glic83 could I get an add please.
    I've 2 games I got in a humble bundle that I won't use
    Telltale Texas Hold'em & Poker Night at the Inventory rather give to someone on here that might use it.

glic83 wrote: »
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/glic83 could I get an add please.
    I've 2 games I got in a humble bundle that I won't use
    Telltale Texas Hold'em & Poker Night at the Inventory rather give to someone on here that might use it.

Friend invite sent, as it's a requirement from Valve for group invites.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

papu wrote: »
    signature.png

Can someone explain the appeal of this game (and the other simulator games too)?

I know they're popular. This one is the top tier in the humble bundle and even Angela Merkel seemed to get a kick out of farm simulator at gamescom.

I just don't understand why.

Can someone explain the appeal of this game (and the other simulator games too)?

I know they're popular. This one is the top tier in the humble bundle and even Angela Merkel seemed to get a kick out of farm simulator at gamescom.

I don't play those games myself. I have Euro Truck simulator but never played it.

My hunch, is that they are relaxing type of games (polar opposite of dark Souls 3 which i'm playing at the minute :D). Just cruise around in your truck with music on. No real stress involved, just drive or harvest your crops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

It's just that people are different from other people.

Name a bunch of your favourite games, and I'm sure plenty of people could boggle at how you find any enjoyment in some of them.

I entered American Truck Simulator.

I notice that it is open to a few groups. Maybe papu made a mistake when creating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I entered - played a lot of euro truck over a few months at one stage. It was a great form of escapism, come home, **** day at work, hit the road!
    I don't know what it is about it, while it needs a certain level of concentration, it has to be sustained for a good while on long deliveries, unlike most games where there is intense concentration required for only a few minutes at a time. I found it very relaxing and used to sleep great after it! As opposed to some games where I would nearly be narky after dying at the same spot, AGAIN!
    If I don't win this, it will still prompt me to crank up euro truck again, I think there is a promods update since I last played, with more routes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 SnowBlack

can I join the group? steam is http:// steamcommunity. com/id/snow_black (remove spaces because i can't post links yet)

Advertisement