Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SteamGifts Boards.ie private group (Discussion Only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Let people give their keys away however they want.

What next? Contributor Only Giveaways that require $20/50/100 of contribution. The only thing that does is exclude people who are eligible and closes the giveaway off to the elite few.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

The fairest way is to use this calculation :
    [(Games\GamesPostCount/TtlPostcount )*100] / [UserNetContribution / PrizeGameWorth] 
    where 
    UserNetContribution=UserGrossContribution-(UserBundleContribution+UserRegiftContribution)

And if the result is less than 1 then the person is not allowed to enter the giveaway.
    This is simple, fair, and transparent and not at all weighted to make sure I can enter future give-aways.

Edit : Someone's going to actually try this calculation out, aren't they... I'm getting that Oppenheimer feeling...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think there is any point in kicking people for not contributing. Contributor limits should sort that. You also have to think of other people's circumstances if I'm correct a friends little brother is somewhere here and he is only 14-15, it would be unfair to kick someone like that from the free giveaways. Everyone is free to put limits on if they do or dont want to, some people prefer to set no limits and if they dont want to set a limit that is ok so everyone they want should be able to enter. On circumstances again there's a lot of people short on money at the moment and you would have thought those are the type of people this is for. I've only ever bought 1 game for myself, everything else has been presents from family, I was even going to contribute when the bioshock deal was on amazon, but I only had a laser card at the time. I can't afford to be buying games to give away, I could only give away games if they were in a bundle, and when you only have less than 30 games bought over 3 years its unusual to have something to give away.

Banjo wrote: »
    The fairest way is to use this calculation :
    [(Games\GamesPostCount/TtlPostcount )*100] / [UserNetContribution / PrizeGameWorth] 
    where 
    UserNetContribution=UserGrossContribution-(UserBundleContribution+UserRegiftContribution)

And if the result is less than 1 then the person is not allowed to enter the giveaway.
    This is simple, fair, and transparent and not at all weighted to make sure I can enter future give-aways.

Edit : Someone's going to actually try this calculation out, aren't they... I'm getting that Oppenheimer feeling...

It's against the rules of steamgifts to put any conditions on a giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

GarIT wrote: »
    It's against the rules of steamgifts to put any conditions on a giveaway.

Banjo wasn't being serious. It doesn't even make mathematical sense.

I think that everyone who hasn't been contributing in the last thirty days should not only be removed, but get a permanent site-ban from boards. They should be reported to Valve as a scammer for good measure as well. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Why do we have to put rules on anything.
    Let each person decide themselves how they want to do the give away.
    If I want a 1 hour give away with a contributor only of €1000, then that is my prerogative. Similarly if I want a 2 day give away with a $10 contributor only (which is my normal choice) then that is up to me.
    If the group starts putting too many rules in place, people will stop contributing. I know I will.

As for people winning loads, so what? The whole point of using SG is so we don't have the hassle of deciding who gets a key (first to reply or a draw or whatever). We can't decide to pick a method that is fairer, and then complain because that fairness has given us a result that some people aren't happy with

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This is all very reminiscent of the death throws of the freebies thread. There's no need to over complicate things, let people decide how they want to give their own games away.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,070 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mickeroo wrote: »
    This is all very reminiscent of the death throws of the freebies thread. There's no need to over complicate things, let people decide how they want to give their own games away.

Definitely.

The point of the group is to see that spare/unwanted games go to your fellow boardsies, not to forcibly extract games from others or make them jump through hoops. The assmption or requirement that people have spares games/cash to contribute isn't a valid one in a country still in technical recession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Spear wrote: »
    The assmption or requirement that people have spares games/cash to contribute isn't a valid one in a country still in technical recession.

Oh come on, it costs about a quid to pick up a bundle with 5-6 games

COYVB wrote: »

Well there's also the consideration that not everyone has access to methods to pay for a game. Now, I know it's a bit easier now with Visa Debits and O2 and 3V cards... I don't know if there's age restrictions on these... but it doesn't mean that everyone has the means to pay.

Personally I'd rather that people who entered the giveaways played the games that they got - and wouldn't enter one unless they thought they'd play it. However, there's no way to really go about this apart from the person entering it themselves having a bit of cop on.

If you don't want non-contributors entering, just set a limit. It's a fair system. If you have a serious problem with any individual, I'm sure it can be sorted with the mods and a PM. I don't think scammers can get away to easily - doesn't steamgifts check to see that you've activated the gift on the account? I think the only thing to be watchful for here is to make sure that anyone doesn't have two accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

So we should buy games just to give away?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Regarding rules or whatever. I don't even like the Contributer limit. I've received stuff from Boardsies in the past who I'm fairly certain haven't yet been able to contribute a game yet. No way, I'm excluding those folks from a draw.
    Secondly, the limit is a pile of sh1te. It doesn't distinguish between contributions made in group and contributions made outside of it. Thirdly, if I bought a game for €10 but it's steam value is €20 then SGs assumes I contributed €20 in gifts. Think about that for a second if one person contributes a recent AAA title valued at €50 and another person contributes shovel ware bought in a bundle for €2 but each item valued at €10 SG says they contributed the same amount.
    I also think it's somewhat unfair expecting everyone to contribute. My budget is set specifically for bargain hunting bundles games. I don't buy games on release. Not everyone's gaming model is set like so. So it's probably far easier for me to contribute than someone who recently bought The Last of Us.

Can we maybe split the discussion on this to a separate thread, and just leave the give aways in this thread

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

So we should buy games just to give away?

Well I did. My own personal opinion of course but I had even presumed that I needed to give a game away before I could enter to win others.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Here we go again...

Didn't we go through all of this a couple of months ago on the freebies thread, which led to this group being set up. My simple opinion is why the feck are some people trying to dictate to other people how and who they should freely give their own personal property to.

This is ridiculously, amazingly, stupidly simple!
    You have a game to give away.
    It is your decision to use the Steamgifts site.
    It is your decision to limit the giveaway to the BoardsSG group.
    It is your decision whether or not to impose a contributor limit on the giveaway.
    It is your decision what length of time to set on the giveaway.

A few of the folks here that started the thread and the group are doing a grand job keeping an eye on who to let in and who to nicely tell to try again later.
    Anything else is whining fukwittery. If you don't like the way it's working then please... kindly... with respect... stop cluttering the thread with moaning and find another way to give away your games that better matches your requirements.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

James74 wrote: »
    Here we go again...

Well said.

Dacelonid's suggestion to keep this thread 'clean' is one that a mod could help us with ?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Discuss away, guys. No giveaways in this thread, please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,070 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If it's so low a barrier, it's essentially meaningless, and only prompts people to flood the group with offers for the same few cheap games.

Spear wrote: »
    If it's so low a barrier, it's essentially meaningless, and only prompts people to flood the group with offers for the same few cheap games.

And we will also get into a cycle of, well $10 isn't enough, lets set the limit to $20 and then $30 and finally $30.01 where people will have had to have bought a game or acquired a game somehow outside a bundle to get over the $30 limit.

I don't see a problem with letting everyone decide themselves what restrictions to put on a giveaway.
    For me it will nearly always be 2 days + $10 contributor because "I think" that is fair. Other people have different ideas about whats fair, and here's the kicker, "I don't mind that someone else has a different idea of what is fair"

If you don't think that a giveaway is fair, instead of bitching about it, don't enter it (but we know you will even if you disagree with the fairness of it), or create a giveaway that you think is fair

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think Dacelonid sums it up perfectly. Let people run their giveaways however they want - I actually find it very presumptious to think that someone else would tell me how I should give away a game I bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

If you meet the qualifications and are allowed to be added to the group, then that should be the end of it as far as restrictions go.

It's your stuff to give away so you should be allowed set whatever timeframe or contribution requirement you want, if you want. You're meeting SteamGifts requirements as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The only restrictions the thread should have are the restrictions on joining.

A certain amount of posts to show you are actually a member of the community etc.

In my opinion the only thing that should be up for discussion here is agreeing on entry requirements for the thread/group.

This study seems odd well timed and appropriate:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/07/why-good-deeds-dont-go-unpunished/

While the discussion about bundles is relevant and important. I do think it must be pointed out that Valve bundles tend to be the exception to the rule. If you already own Half-Life 2 and get Half Life Complete Pack then you'll also be given an extra copy of HL2 to gift to a friend. Valve are nice like that.

This is the case for purchases anyway, so I assume it applies to SGs giveaways too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Oh i guess thats why steamgifts warn people about entering gifts for bundles that they already have a few of the games in. As if you win, you essentially get the games you dont have, and then extra copies to gift trade for whatever also. So its a double win! :P

Oh i guess thats why steamgifts warn people about entering gifts for bundles that they already have a few of the games in. As if you win, you essentially get the games you dont have, and then extra copies to gift trade for whatever also. So its a double win! :P

Only applies to Valve published stuff afaik. Other Publishers e.g EA, Activision don't agree on giving the extra copies.

They're not nice enough!
    It only applies to certain games in the Valve bundles.
    How do I receive extra copies to share with friends?
    Extra copies will only be issued as a special promotion in the following specific cases:
    • Users who own "Left 4 Dead" and then go on to purchase "Left 4 Dead + Left 4 Dead 2 Bundle" will receive an extra copy of "Left 4 Dead"
    • Users who own “Half-Life 2” and go on to purchase “The Orange Box” or the "Valve Complete Pack" will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2”.
    • Users who own “Half-Life 2: Episode One” and then go on to purchase the "Half-Life 2: Episode Pack”, “Valve Complete Pack” or “The Orange Box” will receive an extra copy of “Half-Life 2: Episode One”.
    • Users who own "Dawn of War II"and then go on to purchase "Dawn of War II Gold Edition" will receive an extra copy of "Dawn of War II"
    • Users who purchase the available four packs for specific Steam titles will receive three extra copies of that title to gift to friends.
    • Extra copies may apply as a part of some limited time promotions. In that case, information on what will be included with your purchase will be listed on the storefront's transaction page.

These special promotions will allow you to send a gift pass for your extra copy to a friend who does not already own the game.

These promotion do not apply to any games other than those specifically listed.

Limitations

“Half-Life 2” and “Half-Life 2: Episode One” are only eligible to receive extra copies once.

For example, if you own “Half-Life 2” and/or ”Half-Life 2: Episode One” and receive extra copies for your purchase of “The Orange Box”, you will not receive additional extra copies if you then go on to purchase the “Valve Complete Pack”.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

If you own most of the games in the Valve complete pack, you won't get additional copies for the bulk of games!

Monotype wrote: »
    They're not nice enough!
    It only applies to certain games in the Valve bundles.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4502-TPJL-2656

If you own most of the games in the Valve complete pack, you won't get additional copies for the bulk of games!

Curses you! I was just about to post that and correct myself. :p

I do think that it's a little unfair for some of them such as buying a L4D pack will get you a spare L4D1 if you already have L4D1.
    But buying the pack when you already have L4D2, will not give you an extra copy of L4D2.

I quite like the way gog.com do it. If there's a bundle on, say the standard discount might be 50% off on all the games individually, but there might be an 80% discount for the bundle. However, if you own any of the games in there already, you'll still get 80% off all the games you don't have if you buy them together.

• Advertisement

Anyone know if there is something up with the group? It keeps telling me I'm not a member and I can't enter anything but I have been for ages.

Advertisement