Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SteamGifts Boards.ie private group (Discussion Only)

Options
  • 02-07-2013 2:14am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Digy123 wrote: »
    Hi,He is my friend. I told him about Boards and this thread. He is a genuine player. He has come from Reddit

Can people stop inviting all their friends who have never heard of boards nor have accounts on boards, to join this group?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Hi,He is my friend. I told him about Boards and this thread. He is a genuine player. He has come from Reddit

and?.... so anyone from reddit should be allowed to join the group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Digy123

Digitalism wrote: »
    Can people stop inviting all their friends who have never heard of boards nor have accounts on boards, to join this group?

I'm sorry,But he has donated games on Reddit before and his intentions are good. In fact he has donated more to the community than myself (I intend to donate very soon)
    If we stop people joining,then where is the fun of the giveaways? Is the idea of this group not to create a community for the users of Boards.ie?
    My friend has the same right to be here as anyone else,give him time. We where all "First time posters" at one stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Digitalism

I'm sorry,But he has donated games on Reddit before and his intentions are good. In fact he has donated more to the community than myself (I intend to donate very soon)
    If we stop people joining,then where is the fun of the giveaways? Is the idea of this group not to create a community for the users of Boards.ie?
    My friend has the same right to be here as anyone else,give him time. We where all "First time posters" at one stage.

Thats all well in good, but obviously we're not going to let random people who have just joined boards 5 minutes ago, to join the group. That would lead to it becoming flooded with people taking but not giving, and then the group becoming one of those ones where people eventually stop donating to. Surely you can see the logic in it?

Its best if he would be active on his boards account for the next few months, then to ask again to join.

Digitalism wrote: »
    Thats all well in good, but obviously we're not going to let random people who have just joined boards 5 minutes ago, to join the group. That would lead to it becoming flooded with people taking but not giving, and then the group becoming one of those ones where people eventually stop donating to. Surely you can see the logic in it?

Its best if he would be active on his boards account for the next few months, then to ask again to join.

I understand what you are saying and I fully agree. He's happy to wait a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Scottius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

Scottius wrote: »
    Dude why are you adding giveaways when your not part of the group??
    Honestly I have a ton of mates that I'm sure would love to take part in a group that gives away free games but thats all they would want to do on boards, I could also vouch for all of them being fairly sound cool people too but the reason this group was set up in the first place was for regular boards users (particularly people from the gaming bargain thread) to give away games to other users who contributed to the boards community! Just adding people because there your friend or because there on reddit is a joke imo.

I get what you're saying, but i'll be fairly active on boards. Check back in a month or two and add me to the group maybe. I won't be removing the giveaway, it's already up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

If you're genuinely active and take part on boards.ie, there'll be no problem at all in adding you further down the line. :)

Can you all calm down please? I'm sure he posted it to prove that he was willing to give to the community and not just take from it. He is giving away a game,you have a chance of winning that game if you are interested. He intends to use this site for other uses (Mainly the PC threads)

Also i would just like to add that the point I made earlier about Reddit was not to do with anything. He is new to the PC building scene so i told him Boards has a great community.
    Steamgifts came up in a chat and so i mentioned this group. Can we all do the chap a favor and leave him be until he has enough posts that the mod see's sufficient as to allow him to join the group.
    He said he wont post here until he reaches a decent number of posts.
    Hey I'm not annoyed with the dude I'm annoyed with the person that suggested to him that he join the group knowing damn well that he doesn't meet the criteria!

Hey I'm not annoyed with the dude I'm annoyed with the person that suggested to him that he join the group knowing damn well that he doesn't meet the criteria!

So you are annoyed with me then,Right well I honestly can't be arsed having an argument over the internet about "Criteria". I'm not taking this any further because nobody want's to see this stuff flooding a popular thread. Goodbye.

• Advertisement

So you are annoyed with me then,Right well I honestly can't be arsed having an argument over the internet about "Criteria". I'm not taking this any further because nobody want's to see this stuff flooding a popular thread. Goodbye.
    I'm not trying to argue over "criteria" im arguing over the fact that you completely ignored the "rules" just so your friend could join this "popular thread" do you not think if everyone decided to do this it would render said "popular thread" completely pointless?

I'm not trying to argue over "criteria" im arguing over the fact that you completely ignored the "rules" just so your friend could join this "popular thread" do you not think if everyone decided to do this it would render said "popular thread" completely pointless?

Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone object to a new rule that asking someone that doesn't qualify for the group to join gets you a ban from the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

GarIT wrote: »
    Anyone object to a new rule that asking someone that doesn't qualify for the group to join gets you a ban from the group?

Yes. That's ridiculously harsh and silly.

Jernal wrote: »
    Yes. That's ridiculously harsh and silly.

Fair enough, everyone knows the rules though, it's not like they wouldn't know it was coming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,070 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you're genuinely active and take part on boards.ie, there'll be no problem at all in adding you further down the line. :)

And I shall once he meets the criteria.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,070 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I object. That would only block people from ever joining the group and stop them contributing to both the group, and boards.ie in general.

Spear wrote: »
    I object. That would only block people from ever joining the group and stop them contributing to both the group, and boards.ie in general.

Scrap that idea so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I cannot believe I missed this. Kudos on a quality giveaway.

Don't worry, I have a few ****ty games to give away as well :)

Anyone need a copy of Half-Life 2? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

yep i dont have hl2 yet and would like the chance :)

• Advertisement

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/zRvWO/dear-esther
    Gonna post this again since it only has one entry, yes I know i'm not in the group yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Dear Esther is probably one of the most posted games to be given away, nearly everyone has it by now so that's probably why there's so few entries.

Ah alright, well it's there for anyone that doesn't have it yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

It would make more sense to ban someone who isnt contributing and hasnt after a set amount of time has passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Axwell wrote: »
    It would make more sense to ban someone who isnt contributing and hasnt after a set amount of time has passed.
    easiest thing to do is set competetions to contributor only at .01 , that way if some one isn't contributing at all,then they can't enter.Would also encourage people to contribute at some stage or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

That's a good idea, basically if you've not actively given something away within a (reasonable) time period, you'll forego any prize wins at the discretion of the person running the giveaway.

I think everyone should be free to chose their own T&Cs for giveaways - but they should make it very clear in the description box of the giveaway page. One example might be:

"Will request new winner if selected winner has not contributed to the group by way of a giveaway in the last 6 weeks. Only open to those with a $20+ contribution rating. If you have won one of my previous 3 giveaways, a new winner will be requested in the interest of fairness"

Or something like that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Well its not that hard to keep track of whos contributing in the thread and update the first post or something accordingly. After a period of time if people havent contributed at all they just get removed from the group, no real need for all the other stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Well its not that hard to keep track of whos contributing in the thread and update the first post or something accordingly. After a period of time if people havent contributed at all they just get removed from the group, no real need for all the other stuff.

The easiest thing to do is to get everyone to set higher contribution limits for giveaways, as that weeds out any people who refuse to give back. removing people is a bit of a hassle, and also, people can set their profile to private, and still enter competitions as long as they dont sync their account, for like 2 weeks I think.

I had a quick look at the last couple of popular giveaways with no contribution limit, and I only noticed one person who entered both, that has not given away a single thing on the steam gifts website, let alone to the group. And crazily this person has won 20+ giveaways with most coming from this group! :eek:

I also had a quick look, and the user has only just posted once in games section of boards but has nearly 10k posts on their account and never even posted in this thread asking to be invited into the group... so how did they get invited?...

Just seems a bit odd thats all :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

COYVB wrote: »
    That's a good idea, basically if you've not actively given something away within a (reasonable) time period, you'll forego any prize wins at the discretion of the person running the giveaway.

I think everyone should be free to chose their own T&Cs for giveaways - but they should make it very clear in the description box of the giveaway page. One example might be:

"Will request new winner if selected winner has not contributed to the group by way of a giveaway in the last 6 weeks. Only open to those with a $20+ contribution rating. If you have won one of my previous 3 giveaways, a new winner will be requested in the interest of fairness"

Or something like that

I don't think you are allowed make rules like that on there? They will refuse to reroll for a new winner I think? Which I think is the whole point of the contribution ability on the site.

It's not hard imo, if you don't want somebody that is not contributing to get your game you set a limit on it, the facility is already there if people want to use it, that's why it is there :confused:

it wold be also more reasonable to look into after the steam summer sale. Loads of people said they want to but steam summer sale etc
    There are also people who enter the mandatory contribution comps that have given away nothing to the group, should they be kicked too etc.

I think it's just simpler to set the amount on your game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I'd say contribution comps are the way forward, perfectly fair if you ask me.

Advertisement