Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel on the east coast (Mega mackerel merge!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Il be calling it quits with the mackerel. Had plans to do more fishing for them but the weather is way too rough and its not worth the risk.

Firstly, I quit Mackerel fishing a couple of weeks ago because I had enough in the freezer for winter bait.

Secondly, it's only a couple of days wind - hardly the artic winter set in ;) And it's set to improve.

Thirdly, do you not shore fish for anything but Mackerel?

Finally, remember what Paddy said
    Maybe we should stick to actual catch reports and specific locations then.

As in,if you go fishing and catch some mackerel then you post it here.

A confirmed catch and specific location and day/time perhaps.

Simples.

We could be in trouble now, and it's all your fault. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Il be calling it quits with the mackerel. Had plans to do more fishing for them but the weather is way too rough and its not worth the risk.

Leave the kayak at home for the time being.

Go shore angling and spend some time on the East Coast beaches or on the piers/rocks....but again,be carefull out there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I don't fish with a kayak paddy.
    It's too rough to be fishing off te rocks. Ya said it yourself with people fallin in and never seen again.
    Not worth it for a few mackerel

I don't fish with a kayak paddy.
    It's too rough to be fishing off te rocks. Ya said it yourself with people fallin in and never seen again.
    Not worth it for a few mackerel

Sorry,Im mixing you up with someone else from this thread then....

Appoligies so..:pac::o:D

Go beach or pier fishing then.......lots of good places to go fishing and catch various species during the daytime or even the night time.:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sorry,Im mixing you up with someone else from this thread then....

That'd be me ;)

• Advertisement

That'd be me ;)

This isnt you then,is it??:eek::D

This isnt you then,is it??

Nah, this'd be me...trying for a few macks off Skerries a few weeks back. Drew a blank.......

758585D2557249278F1C041304A6AA37-0000337267-0003317910-00800L-57C35BD8D14341BEB20D84C0418A44FE.jpg

Nah, this'd be me...trying for a few macks off Skerries a few weeks back. Drew a blank.......

758585D2557249278F1C041304A6AA37-0000337267-0003317910-00800L-57C35BD8D14341BEB20D84C0418A44FE.jpg

I like that pic.....its a very picturesque looking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Hi, I am moving back to the dundalk area and am keen
    I get back sea fishing. Any ideas about spots or clubs in the dundalk area I could join? Thanks

I like that pic.....its a very picturesque looking.:)

Have to thank the missus for that - she took it.

• Advertisement

Have to thank the missus for that - she took it.

Very nice pic all the ssme.

Its the oppopsite here....Im allways taking pics of my missus.:pac:......................

.......when shes out working in the garden or out fishing with me.:)

Just back in from Clogherhead and there are still loads of macks being caught by the guys on the pier, the rocks and the boats.

Bloody seals had me pestered all day.......
    5571C66CD7B64C55AFE75C0DF5A927AE-0000320339-0003375116-00800L-47176294E81648B78BF1AEE051FCE1B6.jpg

Still a god few mackerel being caught this afternoon in Balscaddan bay.

A young lad slipped off the rocks down at the edge of the water and went for an unexpected quick dip.

Got back out safely but a tad shaken up by it.A broken tip ring on the rod was his only loss......thankfully nothing worse.

Seal out there having a field day chasing the mackerel in to the shoreline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Leave the kayak at home for the time being.

Go shore angling and spend some time on the East Coast beaches or on the piers/rocks....but again,be carefull out there.:)

Love that first pic paddy....
    where was that taken?
    just started sea fishing (as a kid i just fished rivers) and am looking for good spots around dublin, fishing from the shore....
    love the idea of fishing at the bottom and sitting waiting patiently for the bites to start!!
    any tips?

zak.

ps: second pic looks great too...i know nothing about night fishing either!!

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Love that first pic paddy....
    where was that taken?

You could be a while waiting fro a reply from Paddy - he's been banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

Paddy - he's been banned!

Really, for why? :$

gumbo1 wrote: »
    Really, for why? :$

This is not the place to discuss it but you can have a look at the relevant thread in the prison forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

At least we wont have to look at that bloody picture of his with the conger in the water anymore! :)

On topic: Friend had some reasonable amount of macks out of malahide last few days between portmarnock and Lambay. He says they seem to be thinning out a little but are still there.

Mackerel are thinning out around Clogherhead but those being caught are big blighters. There has been exceptional feeding for them this year and it shows. We should be getting them for another week or so and then back to the real fishing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Christ. 2 of us fished in Dun Laoghaire today from 1 til around 6. Both of us very inexperienced sea fishermen. We pulled in 130 mackerel. Crazy! Others were catching plenty also. No shortage of them there. Using feathers.
    I must admit, I think I'd get bored of it after a while!!!
    Hope to try other types of sea fishing from the shore. Catch different types of fish. Any good Dublin spots for fishing the bottom using worms or mackerel strips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Guest0000

tin79 wrote: »
    At least we wont have to look at that bloody picture of his with the conger in the water anymore! :)

Or a string of mackerel, being held hostage with today's tabloid held next to them, just to prove they are from this world.....yepee

Any East Coast Mackerel to report on?

Plenty at Greenore today. I didn't bother myself, as the freezer is full of bait now.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Lads,
    I went to Killiney Beach in the bad weather yesterday to fish for 'regular' fish and nearly got my head blown off by the wind!! I decided to make a hasty retreat to Coliemore Harbour where salvation was sought from the cruel conditions and Lady Luck rewarded my cowardly retreat :).
    About 5pm the sea erupted with shoals of Mackerel coming in to feed on sprats, fat seals were bobbing their heads up and down in excitement!
    I lost a truck load of tackle (more of a Coarse Fisherman myself) and even ended up using 2-3 Mepps spinners (on the one line mind) and Swimfeeders for weights when I lost my last set of feathers!
    Caught a nice few Macks for the Father in Law and threw back a good few as they were too small to keep. Any bigger ones being caught around the East coast, as my mate fishes near Drogheda and he thought that the ones being caught there were pretty small too versus other years?? :confused:

smashiner wrote: »
    . Any bigger ones being caught around the East coast, as my mate fishes near Drogheda and he thought that the ones being caught there were pretty small too versus other years?? :confused:
    I have found quite the opposite. Any caught between Clogherhead and Greenore in the last 3 weeks have been very big. Certainly bigger than recent years.

I have found quite the opposite. Any caught between Clogherhead and Greenore in the last 3 weeks have been very big. Certainly bigger than recent years.

I'd be the opposite again. The last two sessions at Clogherhead produced only small to medium fish for me. My last outing especially yielded a ratio of about 4 - 1. For every 5 fish I caught I threw four back as they were too small.

Hoping to get out again this weekend so if you see a little orange kayak bobbing around, give me a wave. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I found the same thing last week in Kerry. Got half a dozen off the rocks in about an hour. Very small. Maybe its just the time of year, getting late in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi Lads,
    Yep, i remember fishing on the mouth of the River Boyne (Mornington / Bettystown a few years ago) near the small lighthouse on the rocks and we were catching pretty big Mackerel at that time.

It was a bit dodgy as the tide came in and nearly swept one of my mates (who couldn't swim :eek:) away to sea, so mind yourselves if fishing there, great spot but travel light and always have one eye on the tide!!

Maybe just might be a 'Shoal' thing where the smaller ones stick together, good crack fishing for them all them same when other fishing is slow.......like the warm sunny days we just had....they will be missed :rolleyes:

Fished from 9.30am until around 3.30pm today and only managed a handful of macks. Plenty of baitfish still around though and chap that was with me got about a dozen medium size macks. Didn't notice anyone on the pier or rocks catching any but then I wasn't paying them too much attention.

Seems the season may have come to an end.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,857 ✭✭✭enricoh

got a hape of them yestrday on the boyne mouth, 5 n 6 at a time stuff, bit smaller as others already said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

Going out Sat on a boat from Malahide any mackerel still around

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement