Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel on the east coast (Mega mackerel merge!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rochemedia

Right well I was spearfishing yesterday evening down all around the beach next to rosslare harbour and st. helens and there was nothing in the water. Seen some seals out about 150ft. they seemed to be doing some active hunting but only came in close to shore to see what I was up to.
    See one or two small boats out about 200ft also.
    My brother tried up and down a few different spots on Kilmore beach yesterday evening/last night and got nothing but weed.

Going to try Slade or Rossdunestown tonight. Probably will go with slade for the deeper water and less chance of weed due to the southerly winds.
    Will post up any results here tmr.

Just back from Slade. Lots of people fishing. Nothing caught until around 8:15. Then the Mac were biting for around 15 mins max. I could see around 20 rods from where I was standing and there couldn't have been more than 3 dozen macs caught. Nothing else caught except a large squid strangely enough. A calamari I think.
    Too many idiot holiday makers out on dangerous rocks, nearly getting washed away while trying to drink cans and fish at the same time.
    Along with that we had a group of gum suckers next to us who decided that their advanced age entitled them to cast all over us. I came very close to pushing them in!
    Better luck next time I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Any amount of mackerel at Clogherhead every day for the past 2 weeks. A couple of hours before high tide and you can get as many as you wish. Seals can be a problem as they are taking about a third of all catches.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Any amount of mackerel at Clogherhead every day for the past 2 weeks. A couple of hours before high tide and you can get as many as you wish. Seals can be a problem as they are taking about a third of all catches.

Good to hear, been away from home (Clogherhead:)) for 3 years now and its great to hear when the mackerel are in.

Makes me think of good times fishing with my mates around the head and down the pier!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EamonnX1

Mackyboy1 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I see a thread on mackerel fishing on the west coast.
    So this one is for the east coast.
    Anybody heard of any mackerel being caught on the east coast yet.
    Maybe it's a bit early in the year

MB

Mod: Several threads from east coast merged. Happy Mackerel bashing!

There were mackerel off east Cork but they were tiny - the ones too small for the Islandic and Faroe Islands nets. There is a real crisis in the mackerel stocks. I believe a number of international meetings are scheduled to discuss this and introduce quotas. The heating up of waters near Island and Faroese had led to greatly increased stocks in these areas. These are being harvested unscrupulously leading to the present crisis.

• Advertisement

This is the merged EAST coast mackerel thread. ;)

Most of the mackerel we're getting are a very decent size. While they were late (and most of nature was running 4 or 5 weeks late this year) the catches are better than the last 2 years. There was some panic about stocks until they arrived but all seems quite good now.

Plenty more at Clogherhead and It's environs again today.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Not long back from Clogherhead and we got a few. We were out at the back of the head on our kayaks and while fish were caught, they weren't there in great numbers. We mostly caught one at a time from the bottom.

At one point I had a fish on and decided to leave him swim around for a bit to see if he would attract others. After about 20 seconds - BANG! Line was stripped from the reel at a rate of knots and I was being towed behind it! Big bloody seal took my fish and swam for shore towing me behind him. He pulled me along for a good half minute before my line broke presumably leaving him decorated with my feathers. After that I didn't wait around when I hooked a fish.....

I was on the pier at Clogherhead at 10 yesterday morning and we were hauling mackerel in with every cast. Seals were taking a lot and stripping some amount of line in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

EamonnX1 wrote: »
    There were mackerel off east Cork but they were tiny - the ones too small for the Islandic and Faroe Islands nets. There is a real crisis in the mackerel stocks. I believe a number of international meetings are scheduled to discuss this and introduce quotas. The heating up of waters near Island and Faroese had led to greatly increased stocks in these areas. These are being harvested unscrupulously leading to the present crisis.

mackerel have one of the most strictly monitered quotas in europe. the problem is as you say in icelandic waters. iceland controls its own fishing rights and due to a change in migratory patterns the stock is moving further north at times and spending more time in their waters . at some stage recently scottish processors had stopped buying off icelandic boats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Be careful out there

Fisherman reported fallen from Balscadden rocks. ICG and RNLI searched for 2 hours until light faded. Unfortunately looks like RIP.

Watch your safety out there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

The anglers body was found and recovered from the sea this morning at around 11am.

RIP.....thoughts and prayers with all involved.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/body-found-in-search-for-angler-29560973.html

People are taking some very serious risks out at Balscaddan Bay to fish.....some of them are trying to climb down near vertical rock faces and are also not wearing the correct gear either.

You can see how high up the anglers are fishing above the water.

Please everyone be safe.

Wear the correct gear and tell someone where you are going,and what time you will be back at.

Stay Safe.

Nothing at Greenore today. Then again, what would you expect in this weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

paddy147 wrote: »
    The anglers body was found and recovered from the sea this morning at around 11am.

RIP.....thoughts and prayers with all involved.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/body-found-in-search-for-angler-29560973.html

People are taking some very serious risks out at Balscaddan Bay to fish.....some of them are trying to climb down near vertical rock faces and are also not wearing the correct gear either.

You can see how high up the anglers are fishing above the water.

Please everyone be safe.

Wear the correct gear and tell someone where you are going,and what time you will be back at.

Stay Safe.

You don't know if he took "serious risks" so stop speculating and the cliffs you took a picture of are NOT vertical!

Whats the "correct gear" then.....harness, 50m of rope, nuts?

As you have told a number of people here "stick to reports"!!!

You don't know if he took "serious risks" so stop speculating and the cliffs you took a picture of are NOT vertical!

Whats the "correct gear" then.....harness, 50m of rope, nuts?

As you have told a number of people here "stick to reports"!!!

If you bothered your backside to read,you would see that I posted after the moderator himself brought this tragic matter to everyones attention here on this thread.
    Why dont you have a go at the moderators post aswell then???......oh wait,you wont.

This is a very serious and tragic matter...and all I was/am doing is warning/advizing people who are planning a visit to Balscaddan Bay for some Mackerel fishing.

I NEVER said "he" took serious risks......re read what I posted.

You clearly have not been there,as 30 yards past those photos,is a barbed wire fence,a tall piece of land/cliff face and fishing ledges below it.

The cliff face is vertical in places along there,and to get down to fish,you have to climb down around 15-20 feet of vertical cliff face/rock to get to some of the fishing ledges.

Climbing down sheer rock faces in loose sandles/flipflops to me is not the correct gear......(which is what I have witnessed there on a regular basis at Balscaddan Bay).....and is not what I would call having the correct gear on,for the rough terrain....especially when its wet and slippy in places.

Now why dont you stop trying to create/make issues out of my post just to suit yourself.

Go and re-read what was posted.

Regards.

PS--You not going to say or post RIP as a mark of respect??

Ha! I'm going to bite my lip on this but flip flops......jesus you have some eye sight to be able to spot that the guys are wearing flip flops from Howth village.

I grew up around that area and fished it until 3-4 years ago.......so yeah I know it.....In fact I'm pretty sure I know it better than you. I know it from the cliffs and the from the water.

Paddy get off your high horse and keep your "recommendations" to yourself, your not the police/coastguard or by the sounds of it an expert?

No I wont correct the Mod as I'm not a back seat mod like you tend to be......btw I was being sarcastic in my comment but clearly I touched a nerve and you didn't pick up on it....but don't worry we all make mistakes.

Stick to the facts!!

PS--You not going to say or post RIP as a mark of respect??

Are you for real?!?!?! I don't need to type RIP on a forum to show my respect......I actually go do something about it like donate,fundraise and volunteer for the RNLI.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

What's going on?
    Guy just told people to be careful after a tragedy in the same spot
    What's all the handbags for??
    Back to mackerel please....

Are you for real?!?!?! I don't need to type RIP on a forum to show my respect......I actually go do something about it like donate,fundraise and volunteer for the RNLI.

Maybe we should stick to actual catch reports and specific locations then.

As in,if you go fishing and catch some mackerel then you post it here.

A confirmed catch and specific location and day/time perhaps.

Simples.

Can we stick to this please?

The Mod who changed the subject was not the Angling Mod by the way!

Can we stick to this please?

The Mod who changed the subject was not the Angling Mod by the way!

Catch report from my previous post.

Mackerel caught from around 9am-9:30am while fishing from large main ledge that is directly below the carpark .

Oh and for the record.....7 mackerel between the 3 of us this morning in around the 2 hours.The mackerel have tailed off there in the last few days.

2 seals swimming up and down close to the shoreline waiting for us to give them a mackerel breakfast or 2.

Come off it Paddy! We all know what you are like - never wrong and an expert on everything.

You threw the catch report in as a couple of lines after another epistle off topic, even though you had chastised someone else for not sticking to topic. We here, contrary to what you think, are no fools.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread until it's back on track again.

• Advertisement

Come off it Paddy! We all know what you are like - never wrong and an expert on everything.

You threw the catch report in as a couple of lines after another epistle off topic, even though you had chastised someone else for not sticking to topic. We here, contrary to what you think, are no fools.

Anyway, I'm out of this thread until it's back on track again.

Maybe you should go and fish Balscaddan Bay then yourself.

I replied to your post.

My catch report was posted in reply to your post and now you "suddenly" have a problem with it.:rolleyes:

Have a nice day now.

Jaysus, can you all lay off hand bags and tit for tat and get back on topic.
    Nothing being caught down at slade or hook head so far today. Thinking about heading to either Rossdunestown or Kilmore this evening.
    Anyone have any updates from around Wexford? It seems like they are being hit in large numbers in one spot but if you go there the following day you wont catch diddly. Problem with Rosdunestown and Kilmore is that if you aren't catching Mac you aren't likely to catch anything else either.
    Anyone catching anything down around Waterford or Tramore. Have heard good reports from tramore but haven't actually fished there myself yet.

rochemedia wrote: »
    Anyone catching anything down around Waterford or Tramore. Have heard good reports from tramore but haven't actually fished there myself yet.

A mate says Ballinacourty Pier was fishing steady all last week with good sized macks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

fisherking wrote: »
    What's going on?
    Guy just told people to be careful after a tragedy in the same spot
    What's all the handbags for??
    Back to mackerel please....

Speaking of mackerel I'm just about to get some from the freezer to have tomoro :)

2nd fishing trip and mackerel catch report from myself today.........

After fishing for 2 hours in Balscaddan with my friend earlier this morning,myself and my missus took our daughter up to Duffys Toyshop in Dunleer this afternoon.So I threw the rod and gear into the back of the misuses car.

We stopped by Clogherhead at around 5pm on the way back,and I went mackerel bashing for around 30-40 minutes.

A few other anglers fishing on the outside of the pier/breakwater.

Caught 13 mackerel in around half an hour...threw 3 back as they were far too small to keep.

The seal also stripped 4 off my jig and made absolute sh!t of it aswell.
    So 10 keepers......some for our tea and 5 for the freezer and some winter bait for shore angling.

All in all,it was a nice way to spend the afternoon.:)

Some good fishing yesterday evening off of Carnesore beach next to the wind towers.
    Started fishing at around 7 with a few macs being caught here and there. They seemed to be coming in close to shore in small waves. Some big seals in the water having a feast for themselves. About a mile up the beach there were huge flocks of gulls and gannets in the sky so I presume there was a large shoal of sand eels in the area.
    As soon as dusk hit the mackerel were literally jumping out of the waves! As soon as the feathers hit the water they were hooked on. I was using a 3 hook hawkeye rig and that was working really well. My brother who was with me was using a rather expensive 6 hook setup with rubber sand eels, reflective disc's and luminous beads. He couldn't catch a cold on this rig and had to resort to a €2.50 pack of coloured feathers. With this he was pulling in 6 Macs at a time.
    Ended up with 30 Macs after throwing most of the small ones back. I was disappointed tho. I had wanted to bait up some fresh mackerel and try for some bass in the area but this wasn't possible with so many seals around.
    Later I heard that bass were being murdered a few mile down the beach at Carne beach. I guess that's this evenings fishing planned! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Some serious macks in Clogherhead tonight. They were everywhere - the pier, the rocks and out on our kayaks we couldn't keep them off the lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Hi
    have the big schools of mackerel gone for the year now - i have the feeling that due to the good weather the season finished earlier this year than normal

Fe1exams wrote: »
    Hi
    have the big schools of mackerel gone for the year now - i have the feeling that due to the good weather the season finished earlier this year than normal

Read the reports above your post!

Lashings of mackerel about and there will be until at least the end of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Il be calling it quits with the mackerel. Had plans to do more fishing for them but the weather is way too rough and its not worth the risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement