Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride Parade

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 sygnalport

I never understood why they have to dress up as freaks at these parades. Surely some of the gay community are embarrassed about it. It's hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Galways Gay Pride gave me a great line to tell foreigners when I was showing them around the town. This is the Spanish Arch, this is where Spanish Merchant ships came in hundreds of years ago and that wall is where I saw some young lad giving another lad a handjob in broad daylight during Gay Pride.

I use to be in the camp of people who thought it was over the top and counter productive. Now, I don't care. I don't think it's about Pride any more, it's more like a second day of Halloween. I just keep away from it. Can't get offended by lewd public acts if I'm not around to see them. And that's not a slight against gay people, I hated being around the town during RAG week too. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I believe in equality, and a group of people who aren't treated as equal holding a parade which says "we're different" does bother me.

They're saying we're proud of who we are not we're different
    Sure we're all different

Being different shouldn't be at odds with being equal

Maybe we should have a diversity day with another parade, then we can all take part in the fun and not get annoyed at being left out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭TheFOB

ehmjay wrote: »
    It's not nonsense.

There will never be a time where the expected "norm" for any person is for them to be anything other than straight. Gay people will always be a minority. Self acceptance and coming out can be two of the most difficult and scary phases in life. Whatever about how liberal or conservative a society is or will be there will always be a minority of people going through these phases.

A parade is fun but a gay pride parade also demonstrates a bit of hope and shows a bit of community to those who haven't accepted themselves fully or aren't out yet.

As for the paraders in underwear, the leprechaun outfit didn't look as good on them.

IDK gay pride always seems fun (I've only ever caught the aftermath of the event). I think gays will be accepted as "normal" from now on, just like left handed people. 10% of people are left handed, 5% of people are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,034 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Are there still people being beaten up for being gay?
    Haven't heard or read of incidents like that in many years and I live in a big town.

Yes

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2013/04/11/be-careful-out-there/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

The group most discriminated aainst today is heterosexual, middle aged, divorced fathers.
    :D

Yes, that's the "most discriminated against" group today.

The Alf Garnett-esque parodies who are actually sentient human beings on this website are hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

:D

Yes, that's the "most discriminated against" group today.

The Alf Garnett-esque parodies who are actually sentient human beings on this website are hilarious!

S'Ok. He's gone now. Self fulfilling prophesy or wha'?!?

He's had the bejaysus discriminated out of him for ages now on this thread! One reaps what one sows, I suppose...
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

I dont know what the OP's point is. Is he against parades for gays or just parades in general? If its the former, well then clearly he has an issue with people who are gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

sygnalport wrote: »
    I never understood why they have to dress up as freaks at these parades. Surely some of the gay community are embarrassed about it. It's hideous.

Yep, as a straight man I feel both excluded and horrified by this
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/carnival-atmosphere-at-annual-gay-pride-parade-29383288.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭emo72

We should get the gay pride crowd to organize our bank protest. Massive turn out then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

sygnalport wrote: »
    The truth is (and this will sting) homosexuality has not been really accepted at all. It has been on a purely superficial level, but in the hearts of people: no. That won't happen for a long time yet. Gays themselves have said this, polls have shown they don't at all feel comfortable expressing their affection for each other, because they - know - people haven't really accepted it. It's not anywhere. I have yet to see holding hands, kissing, or anything in public (apart from when they feel safe in their 'pride' parades).

My point is, you cannot just change the heart overnight, it's in our genes to deeply resent any behavior that does not encourage life to flourish. Including this one. Mental illness being another. These stigmas will never truly go, it's an impossibility.

I think therefore, the only reason why people want to appear 'open minded' about this, is because it simply makes life easier.

Recently I've started to notice a few lesbians holding hands when out walking. I've never seen their male counterparts do this though.

Recently I've started to notice a few lesbians holding hands when out walking. I've never seen their male counterparts do this though.

Male lesbians are fairly thin on the ground all right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

Ironically before I "came out" I would have no problem walking arm in arm with another woman, it's a regular girly thing. Since I've come out though I just don't do it. (for a few reasons, mostly because I don't want for female friends to take it me the wrong way) How did you know the girls were lesbians though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

pharmaton wrote: »
    Ironically before I "came out" I would have no problem walking arm in arm with another woman, it's a regular girly thing. Since I've come out though I just don't do it. (for a few reasons, mostly because I don't want for female friends to take it me the wrong way) How did you know the girls were lesbians though?

Yeah, I know what you mean with the girly thing point. I don't know for certain that they were and it was only 2/3 times. I suppose I've seen girls hold hands in the way you refer to and these times it seemed more relationship like. In one of the instances one of the girls looked very stereotypically lesbian. So to answer your question I'm not absolutely certain they were lesbian, I'm just presuming as many others might.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

endacl wrote: »
    Male lesbians are fairly thin on the ground all right!

excuse me, i'm a male lesbian, i <3 women :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Had a point maybe in the 70's when they were vilified and abused.
    Don't get it at all today.
    They're the most cosseted demographic in Europe (apart from maybe the jewish community), with E.U funding and offices for any hair-brained whacky agenda.
    It wasn't criminal to be gay in 1992.
    The act of sodomy was criminalized (though trying finding a case where this law was actually enforced.)
    I've been abused in nights out when people hear my Nordie accent.
    Meeting arseholes is not a reason for a focus group.
    Get over it, sister.
    Yes, it's worked both "pro and cons" at times.
    Same as being gay I suppose.
    Do you think wearing a pink-leotard and categorizing yourself into a sexual bracket with inclusive parades etc helps combat homophobia?

Most gays I know just get on with their lives as normal people in their day to day mundane world.
    Like the rest of us.
    The group most discriminated aainst today is heterosexual, middle aged, divorced fathers.
    Gays and lesbians are put up on pedal stools and wrapped in cotton wool by the State, media and society in comparison.
    I've no problem with gay "marriage" in a Town Hall, but some activists want the State to force religious bodies to marry gays in Churches, Mosques and Synagogues.
    This is totally unacceptable and gross intrusion by the State.
    Norwestener banned.

Just...
    Jesus. Pick a reason

And your reason for banning people who don't break the charter whatsoever is?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Pedal stools.

Trolling shyte? I know you probably agree with his drivel but don't take the ban too personally.
    And before you say "Weh weh trolling is not someone disagreeing with you" - of course it isn't. It's people being inflammatory and provocative and saying ludicrous, unsubstantiated sh1t which they know will rile. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you want to discuss moderation do so via a PM to the mod. Querying moderation on thread is against the charter.

Fair warning.

krudler wrote: »
    Pedal stools.

Homophonophobe.

• Advertisement

Trolling shyte? I know you probably agree with his drivel but don't take the ban too personally.
    And before you say "Weh weh trolling is not someone disagreeing with you" - of course it isn't. It's people being inflammatory and provocative and saying ludicrous, unsubstantiated sh1t which they know will rile. :)

Hardly trolling for having an opinion that greatly differs from yours.

As for being "inflammatory and provocative" that's self-serving nonsense.

The guy wasn't rude or abusive, he just holds a position on the matter.

And by the way some of his "ludicrous" statements included correcting your "expertise" on the Legislature of the country. And he was right there too.

jeemojney wrote: »
    Gay Pride parades aren't about fighting for whatever rights they feel aren't being afforded to them, it's about prancing about telling the world that you're gay and proud

also don't make assumptions about me or attempt to put words in my mouth, maybe you're the one lacking the education here

So you are not gay,lesbian,bi or transgender and you didn't attend the parade but you know exactly what it's about ...interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Had a point maybe in the 70's when they were vilified and abused.
    Don't get it at all today.
    They're the most cosseted demographic in Europe (apart from maybe the jewish community), with E.U funding and offices for any hair-brained whacky agenda.
    You think gay people aren't vilified and abused today? Nice wee utopia you're living in.

Hardly trolling for having an opinion that greatly differs from yours.
    :pac:
    Even though I pre-empted you saying that, you still said it. You guys are so easy to predict! :D

I know trolling isn't a significant difference of opinion - most of the time when that claim is made by someone being accused of trolling, or by one of their supporters, it's a strawman. Having a difference of opinion is not an issue, it's how it's expressed.
    As for being "inflammatory and provocative" that's self-serving nonsense.
    But in this case: true. The thing about gay people being the most cosseted in Europe (apart from maybe the Jews... good indication there of the kind of person we're dealing with), comparing grief about an accent to a homophobic attack, their notion of who the "most discriminated against group" today is... Yes of course, that's not being out to provoke.

Why does it upset you so much that other groups want an end to the prejudice they experience? Do you feel left out? :(

I'm a white, heterosexual, middle-class woman living in western Europe - therefore I don't tell people from minorities when they should and shouldn't feel prejudiced against. It's quite easy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    You think gay people aren't vilified and abused today? Nice wee utopia you're living in.

What about other groups? I remember two Americans getting beat to sh1t in Castlebar when I lived there because of their accents.

What about people with Ginger hair?

How about Nigerians and Travellers?

How about short people, fat people, religious people?

There's closed minded people about all kinds of groups of people, not just gay people. It doesn't mean it's right but it's not a cross that they carry alone.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What about other groups? I remember two Americans getting beat to sh1t in Castlebar when I lived there because of their accents.

What about people with Ginger hair?

How about Nigerians and Travellers?

How about short people, fat people, religious people?

There's closed minded people about all kinds of groups of people, not just gay people. It doesn't mean it's right but it's not a cross that they carry alone.
    Did... they say those other groups don't experience abuse...? :confused:

Henlars67 wrote: »
    What's the point?

I don't understand it at all.

Nobody cares if you're gay/straight/bi or anything else.

Why feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.

As far as I'm concerned gay people are no different to me except for their sexual preference.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against marriage inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

I'm sure it's a good day out and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, but it's just nonsense.
    Why do you need to understand it ? And why does it have to be nonsense just because you don't understand it?

It adds a bit of colour to Dublin for a couple of hours, it boosts the retail and hospitality industries and it helps members of the LGBT community. I don see much of a downside to it so why care?

Even though I pre-empted you saying that, you still said it. You guys are so easy to predict! :D

I know trolling isn't a significant difference of opinion - most of the time when that claim is made by someone being accused of trolling, or by one of their supporters, it's a strawman. Having a difference of opinion is not an issue, it's how it's expressed.

But in this case: true. The thing about gay people being the most cosseted in Europe (apart from maybe the Jews... good indication there of the kind of person we're dealing with), comparing grief about an accent to a homophobic attack, their notion of who the "most discriminated against group" today is... Yes of course, that's not being out to provoke.

Why does it upset you so much that other groups want an end to the prejudice they experience? Do you feel left out? :(

interesting you choose to generalise like that because i argue he has a right to hold an opinion that's contrary to yours. "you guys...." meaning what?

I'm a white, heterosexual, middle-class woman living in western Europe - therefore I don't tell people from minorities when they should and shouldn't feel prejudiced against. It's quite easy. :)

So you are arguing verbal or physical abuse over an accent is not a fair comparison to verbal and physical abuse over ones sexuality?

Persecution is persecution, full stop. Whether it's for being fat, gay, tiny , black or your accent. It's not right to single out being gay as worse than any other reason narrow minded thugs will persecute people for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Did... they say those other groups don't experience abuse...? :confused:

we need a whataboutery pride parade

Advertisement