Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride Parade

Options
  • 29-06-2013 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

What's the point?

I don't understand it at all.

Nobody cares if you're gay/straight/bi or anything else.

Why feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.

As far as I'm concerned gay people are no different to me except for their sexual preference.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against marriage inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

I'm sure it's a good day out and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, but it's just nonsense.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭cuana

I don't care either but ehhhhh its there choice

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Henlars67 wrote: »
    What's the point?

As far as I'm concerned gay people are no different to me except for their sexual preference.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against marriage inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

I'm sure it's a good day out and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, but it's just nonsense.

A lot of people do

By that logic, the St. Patricks Day parade is completely defunct too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Candie wrote: »
    By that logic, the St. Patricks Day parade is completely defunct too.

Yeah, nobody cares if your Irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

In 1992, it was criminal to be gay in this country (and still is around the world) - I guess it's to celebrate how things have changed since, thanks to gay people fighting and struggling to be treated decently.

It's really annoying when people who aren't gay and don't get this, tell gay people they're being ridiculous. Shut up - you don't have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The function of the paddy s day parade is to give you a head start in the pub, while all the saps are out watching it

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

Had a point maybe in the 70's when they were vilified and abused.
    Don't get it at all today.
    They're the most cosseted demographic in Europe (apart from maybe the jewish community), with E.U funding and offices for any hair-brained whacky agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

They have us over a barrel,

with no lube.

In 1992, it was criminal to be gay in this country (and still is around the world) - I guess it's to celebrate how things have changed since, thanks to gay people fighting and struggling to be treated decently.

It's really annoying when people who aren't gay and don't get this, tell gay people they're being ridiculous. Shut up - you don't have a clue.
    It wasn't criminal to be gay in 1992.
    The act of sodomy was criminalized (though trying finding a case where this law was actually enforced.)

They're the most cosseted demographic in Europe (apart from maybe the jewish community), with E.U funding and offices for any hair-brained whacky agenda.

And so it starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I know plenty of gay people who have gotten abuse on nights out, for no reason other than someone twigged they were gay, so you're talking out of your hole.

krudler wrote: »
    I know plenty of gay people who have gotten abuse on nights out, for no reason other than someone twigged they were gay, so you're talking out of your hole.
    I've been abused in nights out when people hear my Nordie accent.
    Meeting arseholes is not a reason for a focus group.
    Get over it, sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Get over it, sister.

From what I hear you guys has parades and marches all the time. lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Get over it, sister.
    I've got the ride on nights out when people heard my Nordie accent. It's not the same thing.

You don't have to look far in threads here to see homophobic undertones. It's still a big problem.

I've got the ride on nights out when people heard my Nordie accent. It's not the same thing.

You don't have to look far in threads here to see homophobic undertones. It's still a big problem.
    Yes, it's worked both "pro and cons" at times.
    Same as being gay I suppose.
    Do you think wearing a pink-leotard and categorizing yourself into a sexual bracket with inclusive parades etc helps combat homophobia?

Most gays I know just get on with their lives as normal people in their day to day mundane world.
    Like the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

If that was directed at me, then I'm no homophobe.

I don't believe gay people to be any different from me, apart from their sexual preference.

Therefore I don't see why they should hold a parade, which screams 'We are different'.

Also, 'homophobic' is one of the most ridiculous words in the English language.
    Theses so called 'homophobic' people are bigots. It isn't an irrational fear they have.

If it was then they could do something to overcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Homophobia happens, gay-bashing happens, marriage inequality happens, hence, Gay Pride happens.

Be glad that you treat all people equally, but don't be so ignorant to the fact that others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

If that was directed at me, then I'm no homophobe.

I don't believe gay people to be any different from me, apart from their sexual preference.

Therefore I don't see why they should hold a parade, which screams 'We are different'.

Theses so called 'homophobic' people are bigots. It isn't an irrational fear they have.

If it was then they could do something to overcome it.
    I wasn't directed the comment at you, sorry if you thought that.

Why shouldn't there be a parade though? Every single one of us is different, what's wrong with that, as long as we are treated equally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

couldnt care less if someone is gay tbh, but having parades dancing around in underwear on a high street in broad daylight isnt gonna get ya respected by anyone.. i mean come on.. would ya wear your underwear to do your shoppin?

i know not all gay people dress that way on parade but type gay pride parade inta google and see what images ya get,hardly screams respect us to me..

ya dont see straight folk advertising there sexuality by having parades in their underwear .. be proud yes,but have a bit of common sense too.

The group most discriminated aainst today is heterosexual, middle aged, divorced fathers.
    Gays and lesbians are put up on pedal stools and wrapped in cotton wool by the State, media and society in comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Gays and lesbians are put up on pedal stools and wrapped in cotton wool by the State, media and society in comparison.

Pedal stools. Brilliant! :D

There are (usually fundamental Christian and other religious groups) people who truly believe that allowing gay marriage will bring about the downfall of society.

The vast majority of rational people would consider that to be an almost laughably irrational fear. Almost, if it were at all amusing.

Candie wrote: »
    There are (usually fundamental Christian and other religious groups) people who truly believe that allowing gay marriage will bring about the downfall of society.

The vast majority of rational people would consider that to be an almost laughably irrational fear. Almost, if it were at all amusing.
    I've no problem with gay "marriage" in a Town Hall, but some activists want the State to force religious bodies to marry gays in Churches, Mosques and Synagogues.
    This is totally unacceptable and gross intrusion by the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I've no problem with gay "marriage" in a Town Hall, but some activists want the State to force religious bodies to marry gays in Churches, Mosques and Synagogues.

Out of interest, why did you put marriage in quote marks?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I know a kid who got seven shades beat out of him when he came out. The ones who attacked him were his former friends and he was attacked for no other reason than he was gay.

I wish I could say this happened somewhere else or in another age before we became enlightened but it was only 10 months ago in a dublin suburb.

For kids like him, and the many more who hide their true sexuality out of fear of a similar attack or out of fear of being disowned Pride is vital.

LizT wrote: »
    Out of interest, why did you put marriage in quote marks?

To inadvertently red flag his agenda? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The group most discriminated aainst today is heterosexual, middle aged, divorced fathers.
    Agenda? Would you like salt and vinegar with that enormous shoulder chip?

'I feel I've been treated inequitably. So everybody else can just go fcuk off with their celebrations'?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

What's the point?

They still don't have equal rights in terms of not being able to get married and stuff. Of course they should be out marching. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭endacl

some activists want the State to force religious bodies to marry gays in Churches, Mosques and Synagogues.
    Bollocks. Find one example.

Google is thataway >>>>>>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Do you fall into this group yourself by any chance?

No one is stopping them getting together, forming a group and organising a protest/parade if they want it. If they can't be bothered then that is there look out.

Advertisement