Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride Parade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

eviltwin wrote: »
    Because that difference is a huge part of their identity

Yes but I don't have a march to celebrate the fact that i'm straight or different to them.
    Nothing wrong with the march by the way as I enjoy festivity but does it not do the opposite to what they want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Yes but I don't have a march to celebrate the fact that i'm straight or different to them.
    Nothing wrong with the march by the way as I enjoy festivity but does it not do the opposite to what they want?

Yeah that's the bit that confuses me :we want to be treated the same as everybody else, but we're gonna go out of our way to make sure people know we're different? :confused:

As far as I'm concerned they can have all the parades they want (provided it's kept reasonably family friendly, after all it's during the day in a public place) and it sure seems a lot happier and friendlier than other.....gatherings.

Just don't quite see how you're going to get equal treatment by reminding people that not only you are different, you take pride in being different.

To me it's like feminists insisting they want to be equal to men, yet they want a hand lifting heavy stuff :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jeemojney

Pardon the pun but gays want it both ways, to play the downtrodden discriminated against members of society and then they want to prance around the streets of Dublin proclaiming they're gay and proud. What next, the redheads parade, the left-handers parade, as me dear ould mother'd say 'they're just looking for notice'

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I've been abused in nights out when people hear my Nordie accent.
    Meeting arseholes is not a reason for a focus group.
    Get over it, sister.

That's a very weak argument.
    Are you talking about verbal or physical abuse for starters? Has it ever been the case that you have tried to disguise your accent or not speak at all for fear of abuse?

Also, the parade is not a focus group, there are many groups represented in the parade

Are you saying they shouldn't have the right to form these groups because you perceive that there is no longer any discrimination across what is already an extremely diverse LGBT community?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Never knew it was on today. I understand why having it back in the 90s and early 00s but it this day and age it seems a bit outdated.

• Advertisement

correct wexie

jeemojney wrote: »
    Pardon the pun but gays want it both ways, to play the downtrodden discriminated against members of society and then they want to prance around the streets of Dublin proclaiming they're gay and proud. What next, the redheads parade, the left-handers parade, as me dear ould mother'd say 'they're just looking for notice'

Ginger pride - http://www.redheadconvention.com/

Were you at the parade today? where were the downtrodden players ? I must have missed that float

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

We're all different, its just that most of us aren't actively discriminated because of those differences. There are countless things people identify with and celebrate - a sports team, a particular band, a nationality etc. The rest of us are able to celebrate that and no one bats an eye lid but for some reason Pride - one day in the year - creates debate? I don't get it.

Laneyh wrote: »
    Ginger pride - http://www.redheadconvention.com/

Were you at the parade today? where were the downtrodden players ? I must have missed that float

read the earlier posts in this thread alone, no I wasn't at the parade, I'm a proud heterosexual, that redhead convention is a bit of fun and to raise money for cancer society, they don't prance their way up O'Connell Street once a year

But why highlight the difference if you want to be treated as equal?

To celebrate that we can be different but equal
    Different shouldn't mean inferior
    Black/ white, gay/ straight, male/female, able bodied / disabled, fat/thin, bald / hairy, popcorn lover/ tayto lover :) - we should have equal rights

Being equal does not mean that we all have to be the same but we should all be treated the same or at least considered the same in the eyes of the law

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Straight people generally aren't subject to discrimination for being straight. Pride festivals embraces the fact that they everyone is different and shouldn't have to hide this as previous generations had.

There's also a sense of solidarity to the event. You've got 'kill the gay acts' in Uganda and Russia have some odd religious fear of 'gay propaganda' whatever that is and have enshrined that into law, resulting in this.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/dozens-arrested-at-russia-gay-pride-29382969.html

While gay people(LGBT Community in general) are treated more equally than they would have been treated twenty years ago. There's still much work to be done, both here and in countries where their human rights are entirely violated. Even the attitudes expressed by some here is indicative of how intolerant some can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Ironic to see the pride people siding with those who are perpetuating the greatest inequality in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

wexie wrote: »
    Yeah that's the bit that confuses me :we want to be treated the same as everybody else, but we're gonna go out of our way to make sure people know we're different? :confused:

As far as I'm concerned they can have all the parades they want (provided it's kept reasonably family friendly, after all it's during the day in a public place) and it sure seems a lot happier and friendlier than other.....gatherings.

Just don't quite see how you're going to get equal treatment by reminding people that not only you are different, you take pride in being different.

To me it's like feminists insisting they want to be equal to men, yet they want a hand lifting heavy stuff :confused:

Well maybe you shouldn't treat people as less equal because they are different? There is a difference between being different and equal rights.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Yes, because gay people are not second class citizens at all and there is never discrimination against gay people in 2013. And even if that was the case, how is it wanting it both ways? You can be discriminated against but still be proud of who you are. That's exactly what the parade is about. People like you saying ignorant things like this ("just looking for notice", of course, not like there are equal rights being looked for at all) are the entire reason it has to happen. :confused::confused::confused:

I'm assuming you'd also wonder why there's no straight pride parade. I don't mean to be rude, but educate yourself on the topic and make an informed statement or don't go around such offensive things. If you never had to do anything to earn your rights, you can't downplay others' efforts to win theirs.

eviltwin wrote: »
    We're all different, its just that most of us aren't actively discriminated because of those differences. There are countless things people identify with and celebrate - a sports team, a particular band, a nationality etc. The rest of us are able to celebrate that and no one bats an eye lid but for some reason Pride - one day in the year - creates debate? I don't get it.

I'm afraid I still don't understand it.
    There are no parades for people who have long hair, no hair, prominent teeth etc etc.
    The football teams only parade when they have won a cup or something. Bands play to entertain people and usually get paid. Nationalities ? Maybe the St Patrick's parade but that is for all Irish people to celebrate out National Day.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Straight people generally aren't subject to discrimination for being straight. Pride festivals embraces the fact that they everyone is different and shouldn't have to hide this as previous generations had.

There's also a sense of solidarity to the event. You've got 'kill the gay acts' in Uganda and Russia have some odd religious fear of 'gay propaganda' whatever that is and have enshrined that into law, resulting in this.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/dozens-arrested-at-russia-gay-pride-29382969.html

While gay people(LGBT Community in general) are treated more equally than they would have been treated twenty years ago. There's still much work to be done, both here and in countries where their human rights are entirely violated. Even the attitudes expressed by some here is indicative of how intolerant some can be.

I am not intolerant at all. I just don't get the point of it. AND I agree that everyone is equal and should be treated as such.

There are no parades for people who have long hair, no hair, prominent teeth etc etc.
    The football teams only parade when they have won a cup or something. Bands play to entertain people and usually get paid. Nationalities ? Maybe the St Patrick's parade but that is for all Irish people to celebrate out National Day.

Are you actually serious? There are no parades for people who have long hair, no hair, prominent teeth etc etc.And you don't see why there would be any for gays.

Gay Pride parades aren't about fighting for whatever rights they feel aren't being afforded to them, it's about prancing about telling the world that you're gay and proud

also don't make assumptions about me or attempt to put words in my mouth, maybe you're the one lacking the education here

read the earlier posts in this thread alone, no I wasn't at the parade, I'm a proud heterosexual, that redhead convention is a bit of fun and to raise money for cancer society, they don't prance their way up O'Connell Street once a year

I have read all of the earlier posts on this thread - very few of the posts are from members of the LGBT community at all. I certainly don't see any that are hand-wringing and bemoaning their plight.

The Pride Parade is a bit of fun to raise awareness of issues faced by the LGBT community. It raises money for related charities

Of course a couple of floats are sponsored by gay bars so there is a commercial element to it but so what? Labour have the LGBT bus trying to secure a few votes but a lot of community groups and youth services are also represented there.

Be honest it's the 'prancing' that bothers you

Are you actually serious? There are no parades for people who have long hair, no hair, prominent teeth etc etc.And you don't see why there would be any for gays.

I asked the question - If you want to be treated as equal then why highlight the very thing that makes you different? I don't see any difference in any of us so why should you?

• Advertisement

I asked the question - If you want to be treated as equal then why highlight the very thing that makes you different? I don't see any difference in any of us so why should you?

Well I have already answered that twice.

I have read all of the earlier posts on this thread - very few of the posts are from members of the LGBT community at all. I certainly don't see any that are hand-wringing and bemoaning their plight.

The Pride Parade is a bit of fun to raise awareness of issues faced by the LGBT community. It raises money for related charities

Of course a couple of floats are sponsored by gay bars so there is a commercial element to it but so what? Labour have the LGBT bus trying to secure a few votes but a lot of community groups and youth services are also represented there.

At last a post that answers my questions. Fundraising.
    Thanks.

I'm not bothered or affected by it at all, I wasn't in town today, I'm giving my opinion on it is all, and my opinion hasn't changed in the last half an hour. The LBGT community ? deary me

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or what
    Having long hair or prominent teeth are physical characteristics both of which can be changed if you so wish.
    It is in no way on a par to sexual orientation , gender or race for example

Your level of reasoning is like someone failing to understand the damage of racial slurs because they were called freckle face in school

At last a post that answers my questions. Fundraising.
    Thanks.

Fundraising, visibility, tourism and hold the front page.. fun

I'm not bothered or affected by it at all, I wasn't in town today, I'm giving my opinion on it is all, and my opinion hasn't changed in the last half an hour. The LBGT community ? deary me

Deary you?

I'm not sure if you're being deliberately obtuse or what
    Having long hair or prominent teeth are physical characteristics both of which can be changed if you so wish.
    It is in no way on a par to sexual orientation , gender or race for example

Your level of reasoning is like someone failing to understand the damage of racial slurs because they were called freckle face in school

Not at all. I asked the question because I see the parade as seemingly highlighting difference rather than celebrating equality.
    Why do people attack posters for asking a simple question?

Deary you?
    deary me

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Well that's the thing. People with long or no hair or whatever aren't told they can't marry because of it, nor are they beaten up for having crooked teeth. That's the difference, plain and simple. It's nice that you don't see any difference (I don't mean that in a condescending "thats nice :)" way, I mean I think it's the way to be), but unfortunately not everyone is like that.
    Gay Pride parades aren't about fighting for whatever rights they feel aren't being afforded to them, it's about prancing about telling the world that you're gay and proud

also don't make assumptions about me or attempt to put words in my mouth, maybe you're the one lacking the education here
    And what's your problem with people being gay and proud? My assumption was made on the basis that, if you do, in fact, think like that, maybe you would reevaluate the way you think. Nice attempt at a sly dig, but you have no basis to assume I lack any education, so you've just done exactly what you told me not to do. It's also irrelevant, because you're the one making these ignorant statements about gay people, not me. I wasn't telling you to educate yourself to be rude, but if you're going around thinking gay people aren't discriminated against you really do need to educate yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Norwestener banned.

Just...
    Jesus. Pick a reason.
    ...pedal stools...

Advertisement