Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride Parade

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I was on O'Connell Street today to watch the parade. Just as it was getting near, some oul lad came over to the woman standing next to me to give her a leaflet and tell her she should turn to God soon or she'd be going to hell when she died. He said *some* people are already going to hell for the way they are living their lives.
    That was just one small incident. To claim that all gay people are treated equally and with respect is absolute rubbish. You may treat everyone equally, your friends and family might too but don't for a second think that there aren't a shower of assholes in every town in this country who'd gladly kick the **** out of someone because of their sexuality or anything else that might make them stand out as different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was always pretty apathetic towards gay pride (and the need for a gay pride). Not due to any kind of homophobic stance but I suppose I it had/has little relevance to my life. Let them do their thing I'll do mine, kinda thing.

But today I was in town as I had to get my phone fixed. I dropped it in and had an hour or two to pass, so I went to O Connell street basically for a nosey.

It was great. It was a joy to see so many people with mile wide grins all having a ball. All very decadent, colorful and flamboyant. Yet still quite understated, the whole event shining with an overall undercurrent of love and good vides.

Of course you get a handful of leather clad types grinding up on each other which might not impress many (the people who generally believe this to be pride). But parade really highlights that this is the exception and the people involved are just normal people. They are our brothers and our sisters. They are the girls we went to school. They are the guys that we work with.

These people who really haven't the chance day to day to fully fit in due to their sexually and the hangups others have about it. OK we could argue that they are far from being repressed. I saw a lot of people who I imagine were very "proud" and felt totally included. The pride festival I think could be viewed as a pat on the back from the city of Dublin/people of Ireland saying you're OK with us.

With all the crap and negativity doing the rounds anything positive should be welcomed in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Henlars67 wrote: »
    What's the point?

I don't understand it at all.

Nobody cares if you're gay/straight/bi or anything else.

Why feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.

As far as I'm concerned gay people are no different to me except for their sexual preference.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against marriage inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

I'm sure it's a good day out and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, but it's just nonsense.

I suppose they still have to march as long as there are people like you minding what they do? Why do you care that they march?

Do you really think that nobody minds if you are gay/straight/bi?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

ShagNastii wrote: »
    The pride festival I think could be viewed as a pat on the back from the city of Dublin/people of Ireland saying you're OK with are us.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Jericho. wrote: »
    They still don't have equal rights in terms of not being able to get married and stuff. Of course they should be out marching. Fair play to them.

But this isn't a protest march against marriage inequality, it's a march which just says "We're gay"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Norwestener banned.

Just...
    Jesus. Pick a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Norwestener banned.

Just...
    Jesus. Pick a reason.

his Nordie accent? It's the one I'd use.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

But this isn't a protest march against marriage inequality, it's a march which just says "We're gay"

Marriage equality is just issue, there are many more. Pride is more than just the parade, its a whole series of events. The parade is the focal point and I suppose a bit of fun, a chance for everyone involved to celebrate the event as a whole.

Besides what is the harm? Its not hurting anyone.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Marriage equality is just issue, there are many more. Pride is more than just the parade, its a whole series of events. The parade is the focal point and I suppose a bit of fun, a chance for everyone involved to celebrate the event as a whole.

Besides what is the harm? Its not hurting anyone.
    It hurt my eyes!! Too.......many ...... colours

:P

I suppose they still have to march as long as there are people like you minding what they do? Why do you care that they march?

Do you really think that nobody minds if you are gay/straight/bi?

I believe in equality, and a group of people who aren't treated as equal holding a parade which says "we're different" does bother me.

• Advertisement

I believe in equality, and a group of people who aren't treated as equal holding a parade which says "we're different" does bother me.

What if they're holding it to say 'we're nearly equal'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

You can be different and equal, we don't all have to be the same or try to act like we are. Men and women should have the same rights, doesn't mean they are the same. If they were all treated the same as heterosexual people then there would be no need for a parade. The point is that you should not have to feel shame for who you are, hence pride march.

The group most discriminated aainst today is heterosexual, middle aged, divorced fathers.
    Gays and lesbians are put up on pedal stools and wrapped in cotton wool by the State, media and society in comparison.

The whole thing is a bit of a damp squid anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

ahh a few gays prancing around is sound. it's a distraction from all the depressing ****e going on in this joke of a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Sacramento wrote: »
    The whole thing is a bit of a damp squid anyway.

Loving it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

As previous posters have pointed out homosexuality has only been legal in Ireland for two decades and many LGBT people still regularly expereience stigma and discrimination.

Anothet reason for having Gay pride is to show solidarity with LGBT people in other parts of the world (including some EU member states) where the situation is a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

• Registered Users Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I genuinely think most people dont care about gays and lesbians etc. Any attacks and discrimination mostly comes from ignorance or a deep seated fear of gays. But care? When I define care I mean you think about somebodys sexuality, how wrong it is etc, how can I harm that person, why would they do that etc, care refers to actually thinking about it for longer than 30 seconds. In the daily lives of people (work, relationship, car trouble, holiday etc) we are all in base survival mode and are really a selfish race with very little room for the activities or sexualities of others, we are too busy living our own lives.

So how many people here actually CARE about the sexuality of others?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against marriage inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous fabulous!.

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The group most discriminated aainst today is heterosexual, middle aged, divorced fathers.
    Gays and lesbians are put up on pedal stools and wrapped in cotton wool by the State, media and society in comparison.

Do they change their lubrication whilst they are up there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Is it a week late this year? Usually happened on my birthday when I was in college a few years back and always meant I had loads of parties to go to. Ahh good times....

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Bloody good parade, that was. Forgot it was on, took the kids into town and ran into the parade, then later we were in Stephen's Green and it was packed with folk relaxing in their rainbow finery chatting and enjoying the afternoon sun.

The kids, being kids, didn't blink when I explained what it was all about, so maybe their first memories of the glorious variety of human sexual identities will be bright colours and happy people in the sun, rather than puzzling over why some little schoolyard shyt is calling them a puff or a f@ggot, as mine was. If you want a reason for this kind of event, there's mine.

Made me momentarily proud to be part of a society where you can celebrate an aspect of your identity, and everyone is politely getting along chatting and dancing and having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I think it's great. Aside for all the colour and festivities there are very important messages behind it:
    • It's ok to be LGBTQ
    • It's ok to be LGBTQ and be open in public about the fact if you so wish
    • That LGBTQ people are not alone (particularly important for young people who may feel that they can't come out to their peers and families and may feel they have no one to relate to, at least they can see there is a whole community in Ireland with various sexualities and gender identities who are proud of who they are)
    • It's ok to be be proud of who you are
    There are still a lot of challenges facing LGBTQ people in Ireland today and the festival is chance for people to highlight these while having fun as well.

It also gives the opportunity for non-LGBTQ people to show their solidarity with the LQBTQ community in the fight for equal rights for everyone in our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

What's the point?

I don't understand it at all.

Nobody cares if you're gay/straight/bi or anything else.

Why feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.

As far as I'm concerned gay people are no different to me except for their sexual preference.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against marriage inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

I'm sure it's a good day out and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, but it's just nonsense.

Great that you don't care but a lot of people do, it is primarily a party but a lot of different interest groups march in the parade too
    Is it not a good thing that these groups have a platform to advertise their services? Particularly community and youth groups?

There have been complaints from some LGBT groups that it has gotten too commercial either way I don't see any harm in one day a year

A lot of people probably don't care that we're Irish either but nobody complains about the St Patrick's Day parade

Laneyh wrote: »
    Great that you don't care but a lot of people do, it is primarily a party but a lot of different interest groups march in the parade too
    Is it not a good thing that these groups have a platform to advertise their services? Particularly community and youth groups?

There have been complaints from some LGBT groups that it has gotten too commercial either way I don't see any harm in one day a year

A lot of people probably don't care that we're Irish either but nobody complains about the St Patrick's Day parade

Saint Patrick founded the catholic church in Ireland and we all know how that turned out.

I don't particularly like the way that we celebrate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

barone wrote: »
    couldnt care less if someone is gay tbh, but having parades dancing around in underwear on a high street in broad daylight isnt gonna get ya respected by anyone.. i mean come on.. would ya wear your underwear to do your shoppin?

i know not all gay people dress that way on parade but type gay pride parade inta google and see what images ya get,hardly screams respect us to me..

ya dont see straight folk advertising there sexuality by having parades in their underwear .. be proud yes,but have a bit of common sense too.
    Take note, Irish models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Had a point maybe in the 70's when they were vilified and abused.
    Don't get it at all today.
    They're the most cosseted demographic in Europe (apart from maybe the jewish community), with E.U funding and offices for any hair-brained whacky agenda.

Gays and Jews eh? You're a regular bag of hugs, so ye are.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

• Registered Users Posts: 51,655 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I wasn't directed the comment at you, sorry if you thought that.

Why shouldn't there be a parade though? Every single one of us is different, what's wrong with that, as long as we are treated equally?

But why highlight the difference if you want to be treated as equal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

But why highlight the difference if you want to be treated as equal?

Because that difference is a huge part of their identity

Advertisement