Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know its a cliche but I need to bulk up quick

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

Pace2008 wrote: »
    You don't need to understand the sciencey bits to see that what you're posting does not apply to this thread or what Will's saying.

The poster in question is a 200lb+ rugby prop forward. The key elements in the studies you've posted that show they do not apply to the topic at hand (you may not have access to the full text of the first one):
    I noticed that as well :)

Thanks for backing me up...I was busy in another thread pointing out erroneous information...the result...boards loses yet another poster who we won't see again :(

*Just needed to correct that...we will see them again...just with a different account name is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

The OP want to put on 10-12 KG of muscle in a short period of time without getting fat, My point (and the point of the research to my understanding) is that he simply cannot. The best he can hope for should genetics, training (past and present) and luck all perfectly come together is .5 LB (got it right that time, will ;-)) a week, at best.

Re-read the first post no where does he mention muscle, He says bulk everytime. Bulk =/= muscle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

Re-read the first post no where does he mention muscle, He says bulk everytime. Bulk =/= muscle

read almost every other post where he says he does not want to put on fat.

fat also =/= muscle.

I admit I assumed a little here but through a process of elimination when he said he wanted bulk and not fat I immediately thought muscle not bone, fluid or height.

Forgive my crazyness, I assumed he wanted extra kg's in muscle and not extra inches in height.

At OP, if you want to put on extra inches to gain weight then you're probably looking at around 10lbs per Inch. Unfortunately it's very hard to add extra height through exercise alone, you're gonna have to eat loads and think tall.

source:
    I would be in KFC double fisting family buckets.

Haha Cheers for the advice mate, especially about the KFC buckets, I do want to bulk up quick, but really do not want to put on a gut, if you know what I am saying, I'm a bit worried about that tbh with you.
    Yeah I know its catch 22, I do want and need to bulk up but I really dont want to put on a gut,
    It just seems like you would put on alot of unwanted fat that way because that food is so high in fat and thats not what i want
    Yeah I understand that mate, but theres more of a possibility of it ending up there if I'm eating food like that which is high in Saturated fat
    good man, any help on how i can bulk up not how i can get fat cheers
    I am mate tbh with you, I'm a bit worried about getting a massive belly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

eat a whole chicken or 2 a day (take the skin off at least one of them) and you would get a fair wack of protein

You know what they say, a chicken a day keeps the doctor away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Supermacs 10 oz burger, take one a day after dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 slimjimabs1887

Is it weight you wanna out on or muscle
    Sorry if its been asked before but I went from a 2nd centre to a flanker after months of eating plenty of protein and cutting out carbs and only training twice a week and gym twice also.
    Went from 82 kg to 96 kg now and still doing the same routine and its worked for me.

I want to put on muscle but understand that I'm not going to put on 10 kilos of muscle in a Month I'm not an idiot, how long did it take you to put on that weight Mate?, and did ur bmi go up much

same goes to you will, genius.

and the research I have says that this is even on the high side, but I didnt want to deflate the OP before he even starts or he stands no chance.
    But he is in a bracket which should be able to make up muscle mass easier than most so there is always hope.

Cheers Mate tbh honest with I do feel a bit deflated, cheers for ur advice though Mate, I was only looking for a bit of helpful pointers, so according to others at best naturally I can only put on 0.5 pnds of muscle a week, so what others are saying I'm a dreamer for thinkn otherwise

xgtdec wrote: »
    So....is the OP bulking up..or not?

Trying to pal
    ;-)

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Cheers Mate tbh honest with I do feel a bit deflated, cheers for ur advice though Mate, I was only looking for a bit of helpful pointers, so according to others at best naturally I can only put on 0.5 pnds of muscle a week, so what others are saying I'm a dreamer for thinkn otherwise

0.5 lb per week is even rediculously high thats 25lb of lean mass in a year? Not going to happen . A bulk to acquire any noticeable gain in lean mass would take around 6months imo . Its blood sweat and years or steroids.

At this stage having been training for something over 90% of my life. I normally just go on feel but with an upper lower split, ie one day focus on upper body one focus on lower body. On the days with over two sessions the extra sessions were generally olympic lifting with a team or f*cking round with the guys I worked with.

Here's an example of an Upper body session

Session 1

A1: Push press 6-15 sets of 3 20x0

A2: BW chins one set between each set of push press 4010

B1: Reverse grip bench 6-15 sets of 3 3010

B2: Hammer strength seat row, focus on the squeeze, sets of 6-8 2122

Here's lower body session

A1: leg press 5x20 3010

A2: Back extension 5 x12-15 @ bw 4010

B1: Bulgarian split squat 4 x8-10 32x0

B2: seated calf raise 4x15-20 2212

What percentage of your one rep max were u lifting in this work out Mate?

• Advertisement

No need to be deflated at all. You sound like you have 1. a goal and 2. an opportunity...you should be worrying less and training more and enjoying every minute of it.

With regard the muscle gain...don't worry about it...it's not irrelevant...but it isn't far off.

There's been some good advice in this thread...along with the rubbish.

Personally what I would do is as follows.

Pick a weight training plan that you enjoy...at this stage it is a pretty short term plan being only for a few weeks. The differences in performance and results between the very best mass gaining plan and the worst mass gaining plan even under laboratory or research conditions over such a short period would be too small to measure so the key factor as far as any plan will be that you enjoy it and that you throw yourself into it...that is going to have a much greater effect on the plan than plan itself.

Next I would make sure that my baseline diet was equal portions protein, veg/salad and carbs. So that might be an omelette with some baby spinach and cheese for breakfast with a bowl of porridge for breakfast. Grilled chicken breasts, salad and brown rice for lunch and steak, veg and potato for dinner. That's just as an example to give you an idea.

I'd have some food before training and after training...so that might be a protein shake before and after or it might be a banana and a yogurt before and a shake after or a banana and a yogurt before and a chicken fillet roll after. The main point being that you want to make sure you are continually in an anabolic state and that your body is fully fuelled and that you're ensuring that you are in a calorie surplus daily.

I would also personally take some creatine monohydrate....a teaspoon (5grams) a day with my breakfast...the creatine will improve your training performance and assist you in getting a little more work done and it will aid your recovery between sessions...these factors add up day by day and will help you reach your goal sooner.

I'd make sure that you are getting to bed early and getting as much sleep as your body needs....this has a much bigger impact on your results and performance than I think the majority of people understand.

I'd make sure that you were drinking plenty of water....most of the athletes that I've worked with were almost always dehydrated whenever we measured hydration levels. If your pee isn't clear...you are probably dehydrated.

That is what I'd do in your situation.

With regard the discussion of how much 'muscle' you'll put on...as I was trying to point out your gain in muscle mass as a fully developed adult with even a rudimentary history of weight training is going to be minimal....creating actual muscle tissue is a slow and laborious process that you really need concentrated and concerted effort to achieve when you are talking about 'kilograms' of it. Putting on weight or bulking up on the other hand is different....a small amount of the weight will be 'muscle' the rest of the weight is going to be water and glycogen...that's not a bad thing...it's a good thing. That water and glycogen along with the muscle mass is what enables performance...it is what provides power and strength along with the neural adaptations that come from training.

So don't worry about the details....eat well, train hard and consistently and make sure you are recovering properly. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

dor843088 wrote: »
    0.5 lb per week is even rediculously high thats 25lb of lean mass in a year? Not going to happen . A bulk to acquire any noticeable gain in lean mass would take around 6months imo . Its blood sweat and years or steroids.

Just to clarify its steroids + blood sweat and years also.

Show me anyone who took steroids without applying themselves interms of training, diet and education and have a far above average physique then you are staring at one of the very few genetic elite who missed an incredible opportunity.

john_cappa wrote: »
    Just to clarify its steroids + blood sweat and years also.

Show me anyone who took steroids without applying themselves interms of training, diet and education and have a far above average physique then you are staring at one of the very few genetic elite who missed an incredible opportunity.

Years or steroids thats what I meant .

Years or steroids thats what I meant .

Well that's not what I mean if you read my post.

If you take AAS then you need to put the years and blood sweat and tears also.

Well that's not what I mean if you read my post.

If you take AAS then you need to put the years and blood sweat and tears also.

Im not talkin about your average curl monkey poppin a few dbol . If someone cant get a great physique after 1 year using anabolics then they clearly have no idea what they are doing .

Im not talkin about your average curl monkey poppin a few dbol . If someone cant get a great physique after 1 year using anabolics then they clearly have no idea what they are doing .

Well I suppose it depends on their starting point and the definition of what a "great" physique is. You can only lay down and keep a certain amount of lean tissue in a year regardless of usage though.

Well I suppose it depends on their starting point and the definition of what a "great" physique is. You can only lay down and keep a certain amount of lean tissue in a year regardless of usage though.

Check out bostin lloyds 1 year steroid transformation on youtube the dude is only 20years old and went from an average chubby gym rat to having a physique of cartoon proportions and in under a year. Its eye opening to say the least .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I NO ONE and I repeat that for emphasis NO ONE that is a fully developed adult with more than even 6 months of the most basic and rudimentary weight training history is putting on, adding, creating or in any way forming 1lb or 0.5kg or 1/36th of a pood of lean muscle mass per week or anything even close to that.
    Is there a time-based element to rapid muscle gain in novice trainees?

You hear people talking about making the most of their newbie gains. but I was kinda under the impression that said gains were a result of being able to train at high frequency and relatively high intensity. Once a certain stage is reached the frequency has to be lowered as the weight being moved necessitates a longer period of rest to allow for adequate recovery.

Is this incorrect, correct, or is it a little from column A, a little from column B?

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Is there a time-based element to rapid muscle gain in novice trainees?
    Yes. It is called diminishing returns.
    You hear people talking about making the most of their newbie gains.
    You shouldn't be eavesdropping...it's rude.
    but I was kinda under the impression that said gains were a result of being able to train at high frequency and relatively high intensity. Once a certain stage is reached the frequency has to be lowered as the weight being moved necessitates a longer period of rest to allow for adequate recovery.
    No, it's more about diminishing returns...in just about all types of training and training types and modalities you'll get probably 80-90% of your gains in the first 3-6 months of training (I am completely making up %'s and time frames but I don't think I am far off....it's also dependent on you and on your trainer actually knowing what's what and you going at it 100%) getting the last 10-20% is what takes ages.

I don't really know that many people on boards...well at least I don't think I do.

I do know Hanley, COH and Gymfreak and I know that the three of them train their asses off and that they all have an excellent understanding of the training and nutrition process and application.

Someone go ask them what they weigh today and what they weighed 12 months ago and report back.

Then we will have an idea of what the 'above average', dedicated, knowledgeable and experienced trainee can expect to put on with regard muscle mass in 12 months and then we can divide that by 52 and see what the best case scenario is with regard muscle mass gain.

My guess is it's going to be a kilogram or three and therefore we're looking at gains of 40-50 grams of rock solid muscle mass per week :)

Advertisement