Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know its a cliche but I need to bulk up quick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

I say this only because every once and a while the fallacies, untruths and incorrect information spouted, repeated and regurgitated on this site all gets a bit too much for me to stand. NO ONE and I repeat that for emphasis NO ONE that is a fully developed adult with more than even 6 months of the most basic and rudimentary weight training history is putting on, adding, creating or in any way forming 1lb or 0.5kg or 1/36th of a pood of lean muscle mass per week or anything even close to that. So all you who keep spouting off about '1lb a week' can just shut it.
    So just shut up and stop saying it because it isn't true.

but wat if.............. ah only joking agreed with everything above, off topic: will update ur blog instead of posting here thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

I say this only because every once and a while the fallacies, untruths and incorrect information spouted, repeated and regurgitated on this site all gets a bit too much for me to stand. NO ONE and I repeat that for emphasis NO ONE that is a fully developed adult with more than even 6 months of the most basic and rudimentary weight training history is putting on, adding, creating or in any way forming 1lb or 0.5kg or 1/36th of a pood of lean muscle mass per week or anything even close to that. So all you who keep spouting off about '1lb a week' can just shut it.

I know that you are all going to race off to your google machines now frantically searching but you can save you time....I doubt that there is anyone here that has written '1lb a week' actually knows...as in if someone asked you on the street out of the blue...where the whole '1lb a week' comes from? I mean other than being able to say that they read it on the internet.

So just shut up and stop saying it because it isn't true.

I don't think anyone here is implying that the op will gain purely lean mass, He asked how to bulk and bulk implies, water, glycogen, fat, food stored in intestines, lean tissue and mild increase in blood volume. He asked the most efficent way to gain10-12kg and was given it, if his question was how can I gain 10-12kg of lean mass then the answer would of been completely different.

http://www.biggersmallerbigger.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I don't think anyone here is implying that the op will gain purely lean mass, He asked how to bulk and bulk implies, water, glycogen, fat, food stored in intestines, lean tissue and mild increase in blood volume. He asked the most efficent way to gain10-12kg and was given it, if his question was how can I gain 10-12kg of lean mass then the answer would of been completely different.

http://www.biggersmallerbigger.com/
    Well if your statement above is correct then all the advice is still wrong just not for the same reason. If people aren't talking about lean muscle mass and all people are talking about is 'bulk' and simple scale weight then 1lb a week or 0.5kg a week is ridiculously low. He could put on 1lb a day if that's the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Ok. That's what the answer isn't. What's what the answer is?

(Assuming incorrectly the question is how much pure dry Irish muscle can an average Joseph expect to gain in a month).

Ok. That's what the answer isn't. What's what the answer is?

(Assuming incorrectly the question is how much pure dry Irish muscle can an average Joseph expect to gain in a month).
    That's not how we roll here on boards.ie.

People aren't comfortable with that kind of information. What's preferred here is people just repeating what they've read previously on the interwebz written by someone who read it before when it was written by someone who read it on the information super highway.

I miss the good old days when people at least had to plagiarise misinformation that they at least read in a book or magazine and put that into posts so they could pretend they even had the slightest idea what they were talking about.

I've given up making constructive post here on boards...I'm lurking and posting only when the idiocy really becomes too much for me because it just upsets people when I post....people feel much better with the whole '1lb of lean muscle mass per week' and the 'just eat more calories than you burn' or just burn more calories than you consume' type advice because that's what they see all the time and that's what they're comfortable with.

So I will leave it to posters like Will Hefferman and others to maintain the super high performance and aesthetic standards of the posters seeking advice and help here on boards...all hail the status quo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Is it weight you wanna out on or muscle
    Sorry if its been asked before but I went from a 2nd centre to a flanker after months of eating plenty of protein and cutting out carbs and only training twice a week and gym twice also.
    Went from 82 kg to 96 kg now and still doing the same routine and its worked for me.

Well if your statement above is correct then all the advice is still wrong just not for the same reason. If people aren't talking about lean muscle mass and all people are talking about is 'bulk' and simple scale weight then 1lb a week or 0.5kg a week is ridiculously low. He could put on 1lb a day if that's the case.

~1lb a day is what he'd gain on my junkfood plan, which given the time frame is exactly what he was looking for. :pac:

Also I re-read all the posts in this thread and no one mentioned 1lb/0.5kg per week lean mass ;)

I return and everyone comes out of the woodwork, all we need now is roper, jayroc t-ha g'em and boards is back to its old self

Also I re-read all the posts in this thread and no one mentioned 1lb/0.5kg per week lean mass ;)
    1. You obviously don't read too well or just have poor attention to detail.
    2. You've obviously got a poor memory because not only is it written in this thread but you 'thanked' the very post it was first written in.
    unless you get lucky and have the predisposition to creating muscle quickly then youre probably looking at less than .5 of a kg in lean meat a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I've given up making constructive post here on boards...I'm lurking and posting only when the idiocy really becomes too much for me because it just upsets people when I post....people feel much better with the whole '1lb of lean muscle mass per week' and the 'just eat more calories than you burn' or just burn more calories than you consume' type advice because that's what they see all the time and that's what they're comfortable with.

This spiel you keep coming out with is getting old.

I don't see anyone getting upset, people might disagree (and might be wrong) but people are bombarded with so much information on the net that sometimes it'd be hard for a lay person to decipher whats right/wrong. Hell its even hard for some coaches given personal biases.

That aside, this social pariah get up you like to don isn't really washing anymore.

If you don't want to post. Don't. Don't post and tell us all (again), why you aren't posting

Ill try put this in your self attributed tell it like it is way, stop being a whiney fanny.

This spiel you keep coming out with is getting old.

I don't see anyone getting upset, people might disagree (and might be wrong) but people are bombarded with so much information on the net that sometimes it'd be hard for a lay person to decipher whats right/wrong. Hell its even hard for some coaches given personal biases.

That aside, this social pariah get up you like to don isn't really washing anymore.

If you don't want to post. Don't. Don't post and tell us all (again), why you aren't posting

Ill try put this in your self attributed tell it like it is way, stop being a whiney fanny.
    LOL.

That's much better :)

You know what is also hard to 'get' on the interwebz? Humour, intonation, p*ss taking...it's a continuum really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

2. You've obviously got a poor memory because not only is it written in this thread but you 'thanked' the very post it was first written in.

same goes to you will, genius.

T'was a typo, which was pointed out and corrected directly below.
    but you're a coach, so you don't make typos.
    You know what .5kg is in lbs right?
    ha ha, ive jumbled up my kg and lbs, good spot

this is what I was originally referencing
    Your body can only make a limited amount of muscle (about 1/2 a lb a week). so in 10 weeks you could get 5 lbs of muscle added. IF you keep your diet strict by eating exactly what you work out you wont gain any fat.

but you will only gain 5lbs (about 2kg) of muscle
    and the research I have says that this is even on the high side, but I didnt want to deflate the OP before he even starts or he stands no chance.
    But he is in a bracket which should be able to make up muscle mass easier than most so there is always hope.

same goes to you will, genius.

T'was a typo, which was pointed out and corrected directly below.
    but you're a coach, so you don't make typos.
    Oooooooooooooooooooooh I see what you did there....you redirected my criticism right back at me....even though if you'd read my post you'd realise that I had deliberately 'quoted' from the unedited post rather than the corrected one and hence would have to have understood it was a typo and hence would probably have been maybe perhaps kinda sorta taking the p*ss.
    and the research I have says that this is even on the high side, but I didnt want to deflate the OP before he even starts or he stands no chance.
    But he is in a bracket which should be able to make up muscle mass easier than most so there is always hope.
    Far be it from me to ever try to cut anyone down.

That's it....I am never posting here again....or at least for another 5 or 10 minutes...whatever comes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

Will heffernan looking for fun on boards and he ran to the mods as soon as will hefferman came on the scene . Seems legit .

dor843088 wrote: »
    Will heffernan looking for fun on boards and he ran to the mods as soon as will hefferman came on the scene . Seems legit .
    LOL

I am the reason that boards has mods.

I REALLY need to learn how to use emoticons. Maybe I'll just place a * at the start of all statements that AREN'T taking the p*ss.

Believe me when I tell you...that poster didn't make me 'run to the mods' if anything...it just makes me smile and feel warm and tingly on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

So....is the OP bulking up..or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

xgtdec wrote: »

I think me and you have the same idea about this OP and thread.

xgtdec wrote: »
    The advice way back in this thread was pretty much spot on...train hard, watch his macros, create a significant calorie surplus.

4 weeks is not a long time...we're talking about 10 to maybe 20 training sessions. Miracles are not going to happen.

OP...you already know what to do...there really aren't any short cuts.

LOL

I am the reason that boards hasg mods.

I REALLY need to learn how to use emoticons. Maybe I'll just place a * at the start of all statements that AREN'T taking the p*ss.

Believe me when I tell you...that poster didn't make me 'run to the mods' if anything...it just makes me smile and feel warm and tingly on the inside.

Yea you ran . So when you gonna be a man of your word and stop postin on here or are you full of hot air as usual.

Yea you ran .
    Ahhhhhhhh...no I didn't. Don't blame me if one of you trolling accounts got shut down...I'm sure you've plenty of others or that your buddy can get a new one if that's what you are upset about....because it certainly wasn't me.
    So when you gonna be a man of your word and stop postin on here or are you full of hot air as usual.
    I am just here to be impressed and astounded by your grammar and your overall posting structure and style. I can't leave...I'd miss it too much.

Oooooooooooooooooooooh I see what you did there....you redirected my criticism right back at me....even though if you'd read my post you'd realise that I had deliberately 'quoted' from the unedited post rather than the corrected one and hence would have to have understood it was a typo and hence would probably have been maybe perhaps kinda sorta taking the p*ss.

Far be it from me to ever try to cut anyone down.

That's it....I am never posting here again....or at least for another 5 or 10 minutes...whatever comes first.

You do realise that half your posts are trying to explain why your previous post was a joke or taking the piss, I've got news mate, if you need to explain it then it just aint funny.

Besides, I didnt edit my typo, its there for the world to see. I dont mind when I make mistakes. But then again, im not a coach.

• Advertisement

Ahhhhhhhh...no I didn't. Don't blame me if one of you trolling accounts got shut down...I'm sure you've plenty of others or that your buddy can get a new one if that's what you are upset about....because it certainly wasn't me.

I am just here to be impressed and astounded by your grammar and your overall posting structure and style. I can't leave...I'd miss it too much.

You an expert on grammar as well as how to lose friends and alienate people ? Get off boards like you keep saying and get yourself a life .

Ahhhhhhhh...Nno I didn't. Don't blame me if one of youR trolling accounts got shut down...I'm sure you've plenty of others or that your buddy can get a new one if that's what you are upset about....Only 3 periods in an ellipsis.Bbecause it certainly wasn't me.

Commas, learn to use them.

Grammar expert

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The usual train wreck of a thread. Great.

Stick to the topic or get banned. You want to b!tch at each other, do it via pm. We're not interested.

Oryx wrote: »
    The usual train wreck of a thread. Great.

Stick to the topic or get banned. You want to b!tch at each other, do it via pm. We're not interested.

Maybe there is a common denominator in most of these train wrecks ?

Feel free to PM me any of the train wreck threads and I will take the time to clear up any misunderstandings.

As I said to the previous poster. I will make time over the weekend to point out all the things that are incorrect in his statements and do what he hasn't done and that is to back it all up with research.

It seems fine for everyone else here to make complete unsupported and incorrect statements but if I wish to point out people are incorrect I have to document my statements with research and references.

In this case I am happy to do so. Then we can see who's right and who is wrong.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Feel free to PM me any of the train wreck threads and I will take the time to clear up any misunderstandings.

In this case I am happy to do so. Then we can see who's right and who is wrong.
    I don't care who scores the most Big Man points here. I just want civility. Answer the ops questions in a way YOU feel is right. If you disagree with other advice offered say why in a non dickish way.

here is where I got me info from, i typed "how much muscle can your body make" into google. (.ie not .com)

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-much-muscle-build-3852978.html?cat=50
    http://muscleevo.net/how-fast-can-you-build-muscle/
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/2/373.full
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21030674

admittedly the sciencey bits were over my head, but the gist was its hard to make muscle so don't expect to gain a lot. unless you happen to be in the high responder group. and yes I paraphrased.

Which is kind of the point you were making will isnt it? glad to help.

Stand corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

here is where I got me info from, i typed "how much muscle can your body make" into google. (.ie not .com)

http://voices.yahoo.com/how-much-muscle-build-3852978.html?cat=50
    http://muscleevo.net/how-fast-can-you-build-muscle/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21030674

admittedly the sciencey bits were over my head, but the gist was its hard to make muscle so don't expect to gain a lot. unless you happen to be in the high responder group. and yes I paraphrased.

Which is kind of the point you were making will isnt it? glad to help.
    You don't need to understand the sciencey bits to see that what you're posting does not apply to this thread or what Will's saying.

The poster in question is a 200lb+ rugby prop forward. The key elements in the studies you've posted that show they do not apply to the topic at hand (you may not have access to the full text of the first one):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21030674[/url]
    None of the
    subjects were active weight lifters

We conclude that chronic postexercise consumption of milk promotes greater hypertrophy during the early stages of resistance training in novice weightlifters

Though you both seem to agree that you can't put on muscle quickly so I'm not really sure what the argument's about.

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    You don't need to understand the sciencey bits to see that what you're posting does not apply to this thread or what Will's saying.

The poster in question is a 200lb+ rugby prop forward. The key elements in the studies you've posted that show they do not apply to the topic at hand (you may not have access to the full text of the first one):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21030674[/url]

No one has mentioned that the OP's training was weight lifting. Sure it's been assumed.

And my point and will's are essentially the same, you can't put on muscle that quickly.

The OP want to put on 10-12 KG of muscle in a short period of time without getting fat, My point (and the point of the research to my understanding) is that he simply cannot. The best he can hope for should genetics, training (past and present) and luck all perfectly come together is .5 LB (got it right that time, will ;-)) a week, at best.

The rest of the mass he puts on will be fat.

While I know Will is seeking something to argue about at the end of the day he and I are saying the same thing.

Advertisement