Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know its a cliche but I need to bulk up quick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

It just seems like you would put on alot of unwanted fat that way because that food is so high in fat and thats not what i want

fat in your food is not the same as fat on your belly

• Registered Users Posts: 23 slimjimabs1887

Yeah I understand that mate, but theres more of a possibility of it ending up there if I'm eating food like that which is high in Saturated fat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

siblers wrote: »
    Seems that he left the extra-strong vitamins off the list...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

It just seems like you would put on alot of unwanted fat that way because that food is so high in fat and thats not what i want

This where the training like your families lives depended on it comes into play. If you train like a teenager just discovering masturbation you will gain minimal fat.

I've done this personally and by the end of week two the other trainers I worked with were accusing me of steroids. By the end of day 28 I still had a visible 6 pack and was up 6kg and my skinfolds, 12site biosig were up 10mm total.

I was training a huge amount of sessions 2 everyday minimum some days up to 4. I have a high training age and high levels of conditioning so just up how hard you think you can go.

Post workout I'd have 4 chocolate croissant and a pack of jaffa cakes for dessert after my PWO meal and a shake on top of that. Every chance I had I was stuffing food into myself.

Extreme results take extreme measures and they take them being done consistently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yeah I understand that mate, but theres more of a possibility of it ending up there if I'm eating food like that which is high in Saturated fat

This is untrue. Fat doesn't make you fat, excess calories make you fat.

• Advertisement

This is untrue. Fat doesn't make you fat, excess calories make you fat.

good man, any help on how i can bulk up not how i can get fat cheers

This where the training like your families lives depended on it comes into play. If you train like a teenager just discovering masturbation you will gain minimal fat.

I've done this personally and by the end of week two the other trainers I worked with were accusing me of steroids. By the end of day 28 I still had a visible 6 pack and was up 6kg and my skinfolds, 12site biosig were up 10mm total.

I was training a huge amount of sessions 2 everyday minimum some days up to 4. I have a high training age and high levels of conditioning so just up how hard you think you can go.

Post workout I'd have 4 chocolate croissant and a pack of jaffa cakes for dessert after my PWO meal and a shake on top of that. Every chance I had I was stuffing food into myself.

Extreme results take extreme measures and they take them being done consistently

wow mate thats some serious gain what sort of programme were u doing, post work out would u not be drained?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

good man, any help on how i can bulk up not how i can get fat cheers

Eat loads, work out hard and don't stress too much about the gut. I wouldn't be adverse to using creatine to maximise the effort you are putting in over the next 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

wow mate thats some serious gain what sort of programme were u doing, post work out would u not be drained?

At this stage having been training for something over 90% of my life. I normally just go on feel but with an upper lower split, ie one day focus on upper body one focus on lower body. On the days with over two sessions the extra sessions were generally olympic lifting with a team or f*cking round with the guys I worked with.

Here's an example of an Upper body session

Session 1

A1: Push press 6-15 sets of 3 20x0

A2: BW chins one set between each set of push press 4010

B1: Reverse grip bench 6-15 sets of 3 3010

B2: Hammer strength seat row, focus on the squeeze, sets of 6-8 2122

Here's lower body session

A1: leg press 5x20 3010

A2: Back extension 5 x12-15 @ bw 4010

B1: Bulgarian split squat 4 x8-10 32x0

B2: seated calf raise 4x15-20 2212

lot of high reps like a GVT programme

• Advertisement

quite clearly you dont understand that.

its the unburned energy in the calories that will become the fat on your belly not the fat in your food.

your body breaks it all down, uses it, what it doesnt use it it will make it into fat. it might end up as fat but it doesnt mean it went in as fat.

if you are training enough you will burn the energy off.

But just get used to the fact that some of your size is going to be fat. but once you are at the size you want you change your diet and the fat drops off quick

If you dont want any fat at all you can't build size and strength quickly.

Your body can only make a limited amount of muscle (about 1/2 a lb a week). so in 10 weeks you could get 5 lbs of muscle added. IF you keep your diet strict by eating exactly what you work out you wont gain any fat.

but you will only gain 5lbs (about 2kg) of muscle

But you dont want that, you want 10+kg, well some of that is going to be fat. but all of it will be size and strength

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What has saturated fat got to do with anything?

And you missed the point of that made up story above. It's not about eating Maccas, Chineses, and pizza all the time.
    It's about eating lots, eating when you don't want to. Forcing it down your mouth. Eating has to become as just a workout as the weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

You need to take before and after pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Not meaning to be smart, but at the level your at in your sport, do you not have access to coaches for this stuff?

xgtdec wrote: »
    Not meaning to be smart, but at the level your at in your sport, do you not have access to coaches for this stuff?

Nah mate because im just after gettin back from overseas so unfortunately im not with a club here at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Hard frequent training plus fast food is the way I'd go. Eg the Triple Whopper from Burger King has nearly 1200 calories and something like 70 g of protein. I can scoff one in under 5 minutes and not feel sick or even particularly full afterwards. It's quite an expensive burger though.

The 2 euro Double Cheeseburger from McDonalds is a good one, 440 calories and 27 g protein. I had two of them yesterday but have read of others eating 4 or 5 in one sitting.

Also I've been putting olive oil on cooked pizzas long before I heard Dave Tate talking about that stratagy :) Yummy. Some pizzas even have instructions recommending this for added flavour although with small quantites rather than the soaking with oil that Tate would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 will hefferman

In 3or 4 weeks you would be lucky to put on 1lb of muscle . Im Will and I know cos Im a coach and dont argue with me .

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

In 3or 4 weeks you would be lucky to put on 1lb of muscle . Im Will and I know cos Im a coach and dont argue with me .
    TZRwPYn.png

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

In 3or 4 weeks you would be lucky to put on 1lb of muscle .
    You aren't actually that far off in fact...but I'm sure that's purely accidental.
    Im Will and I know cos Im a coach and dont argue with me .
    Don't worry. I've returned to just lurking rather than contributing to this forum. I do think it is hysterical though that you'd think that I encourage people not to argue with me.

I'd love to see some examples of threads where I've not argued my point or have been shown to be incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 will hefferman

You aren't actually that far off in fact...but I'm sure that's purely accidental.

Don't worry. I've returned to just lurking rather than contributing to this forum. I do think it is hysterical though that you'd think that I encourage people not to argue with me.

I'd love to see some examples of threads where I've not argued my point or have been shown to be incorrect?

Strawman fallacy my similarly named friend . So mind your business cos im a coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

who would have thought it, Will arguing with himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

You really know when you have made it on boards...when you get your very own parody account...im very jealous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,049 ✭✭✭COH

Strawman fallacy my similarly named friend . So mind your business cos im a coach.

Its a continuum

TZRwPYn.png

:pac:

Surely il put on more than a pound of muscle in 4weeks

Surely il put on more than a pound of muscle in 4weeks

possible but unlikely.

muscle isn't made quickly. Some make it faster, some make it slower. most make it slower.

unless you get lucky and have the predisposition to creating muscle quickly then youre probably looking at less than .5 of a kg in lean meat a week.

which ever group you are in the advise is the same, eat loads lift loads.

But you will gain size and the strength that goes with being bigger.

The actual fact of the matter is you're worrying too much about a little bit of fat. You might raise your BF% from 18% to 22% which you couldn't even see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

possible but unlikely.

muscle isn't made quickly. Some make it faster, some make it slower. most make it slower.

unless you get lucky and have the predisposition to creating muscle quickly then youre probably looking at less than .5 of a kg in lean meat a week.

which ever group you are in the advise is the same, eat loads lift loads.

But you will gain size and the strength that goes with being bigger.

The actual fact of the matter is you're worrying too much about a little bit of fat. You might raise your BF% from 18% to 22% which you couldn't even see

You know what .5kg is in lbs right?

You know what .5kg is in lbs right?

ha ha, ive jumbled up my kg and lbs, good spot

this is what I was originally referencing
    Your body can only make a limited amount of muscle (about 1/2 a lb a week). so in 10 weeks you could get 5 lbs of muscle added.

that's still a high enough estimate.

OP you are probably in a good position as you are coming back from rest so rebuilding rather than laying a foundation. people who have had the muscle before find it easier to rebuild it, rather than if you were skinny trying to bulk up

possible but unlikely.

I am mate tbh with you, I'm a bit worried about getting a massive belly

I am mate tbh with you, I'm a bit worried about getting a massive belly

refer to post #35 onwards. repeat until it sinks in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Will Heffernan

I say this only because every once and a while the fallacies, untruths and incorrect information spouted, repeated and regurgitated on this site all gets a bit too much for me to stand. NO ONE and I repeat that for emphasis NO ONE that is a fully developed adult with more than even 6 months of the most basic and rudimentary weight training history is putting on, adding, creating or in any way forming 1lb or 0.5kg or 1/36th of a pood of lean muscle mass per week or anything even close to that. So all you who keep spouting off about '1lb a week' can just shut it.

I know that you are all going to race off to your google machines now frantically searching but you can save you time....I doubt that there is anyone here that has written '1lb a week' actually knows...as in if someone asked you on the street out of the blue...where the whole '1lb a week' comes from? I mean other than being able to say that they read it on the internet.

So just shut up and stop saying it because it isn't true.

Advertisement