Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

This is where one of those pop-up gazebos comes in handy.

yeah the sturdy one would have been ideal!

IMG_20140506_165432_zpsinzcb6ta.jpg

Some tyre glitz from OAC
    IMG_20140506_165445_zpspyiutxuo.jpg

IMG_20140506_165459_zpshblaejh2.jpg

IMG_20140506_165514_zpscalnel6y.jpg

IMG_20140506_165652_zpssuxuwetk.jpg

And i just had to go up to the shop in the rain and now its dirty again! Feckin rain

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Spike Witwicky

Checked weather forecast and figured i'd just de iron n wash. Its still in my nostrils hours later and i have a cold :(
    Def gonna check the lemon one out

20140506_150131_zpsevlwnhqx.jpg

20140506_150155_zpswuobvfxz.jpg

Havin some issues with paint and hoping not to need a respray. road rash on front bumper and stone chips in bonnet. Might check a breakers or would respray be cheaper?

Few swirls im gonna tackle when i get meself a DA polisher next month. By hand isnt doin the job.
    Couple of deepish scratches on doors too

Whats best for cleaning a sooty exhaust?
    Third brakelight is faded looking. What should i use?
    All advice appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Checked weather forecast and figured i'd just de iron n wash. Its still in my nostrils hours later and i have a cold :(
    Def gonna check the lemon one out

20140506_150131_zpsevlwnhqx.jpg

20140506_150155_zpswuobvfxz.jpg

Havin some issues with paint and hoping not to need a respray. road rash on front bumper and stone chips in bonnet. Might check a breakers or would respray be cheaper?

Few swirls im gonna tackle when i get meself a DA polisher next month. By hand isnt doin the job.
    Couple of deepish scratches on doors too

Whats best for cleaning a sooty exhaust?
    Third brakelight is faded looking. What should i use?
    All advice appreciated. :)

For exhaust wire wool or brillo pad I find works great if really bad.

Machine polish will make a huge difference just get the cutting compound and polish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

For the exhaust, any of the metal polishes - Autosol, Megiuars Metal Polish, Peek etc. - take your pick.
    You might have to get involved with some really fine wire wool too, depending on how bad it is.

As for the brake light, same polish you'd use on your headlights to remove oxidation will work here too.

As for the brake light, same polish you'd use on your headlights to remove oxidation will work here too.

Thanks for the tips guys. Whats good for headlight oxidation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Thanks for the tips guys. Whats good for headlight oxidation?

You can use toothpaste if not very bad but if bad a headlight restoration kit is needed as you will be fine sanding the surface and then sealing at the end.

Much cheaper then headlight replacement but don't be surprised when it does happen again.

You can use toothpaste if not very bad but if bad a headlight restoration kit is needed as you will be fine sanding the surface and then sealing at the end.

Much cheaper then headlight replacement but don't be surprised when it does happen again.

Might price a replacement unit so. :)

It'd want to be fairly bad for me to consider buying a replacement light - I'd always try treating it first - you'd be surprised at the turnaround that can be achieved with a bit of work.

It'd want to be fairly bad for me to consider buying a replacement light - I'd always try treating it first - you'd be surprised at the turnaround that can be achieved with a bit of work.

Yeah i'm just pricing one for when i make a balls of the one i have :pac:

Is it ok to use quick detailer after applying collinite 845 or will it strip it off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Quick detailer will be fine. It might effect the way the surface beads while it's on the paint but most have little durability so will disappear fairly quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

A little tip when polishing headlights although I know it's not suitable for everyone but apply a coat of Gtechniq C1 after polishing. This will seal it up, protect it and ensure they don't go foggy again.

If not, you could get lacquer in a spray can but this won't always leave a smooth surface but you will have the protection there.

McLove - as Curran said, a QD is fine but because it's the top layer, you will get whatever beading that provides rather than the 845. It's never a bad thing to have more protection though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I try to avoid QD's as a rule as I find they destroy the beading.
    I porefer a quick topup of collie 845 every few washes.
    After all. It takes no time to do it.

vectra wrote: »
    I try to avoid QD's as a rule as I find they destroy the beading

Im the same, with the exception that when the protection of the LSP applied starts to show signs of deteriorate. Then I'll use something that would be stronger than a QD, something that offers shine and protection; to get me by until I get around to claying and re-applying a LSP.

If you look back through this thread, you wont see any posts from me doing anything car related; because since the arrival of my son, almost a year ago, Ive only washed the car once; yes once! :(:o:( And even when I did that, it was a rushed job - it was as bad as it was today; washed the wheels, snowfoamed it, washed it with one bucket and rinsed. Was a stupid thing to do, but it had to be done!

So today, I had planned on spending a few hours on the car; prep it properly for some LSP as whatever was on it last, is long, LONG gone!
    Plug in the hoover, pull out the lead, bring it out the door, realise the lead isnt long enough (moved house recently); just then *click*....the front door closes over...balls; locked out! :mad: Luckily I had the car key. Off into town to get the keys off the missus - hoover sitting a the front door! :o :P

That ruined any chance of getting the planned work done, so had to change the plan to give the car a wash and hoover to get the heavy dirt off it, and attack it again at a later date.

Wanted to see how effective a non-aggitate wash would be on the wheels; the wheels were destroyed
    20140507_141916_zps53gs0ag2.jpg

Rinsed with PW'er
    20140507_142456_zps3eqlp4re.jpg

Wheel Cleanse dwelling - 1 product : 2 water
    20140507_142707_zpsp06ojeza.jpg

Forgot to take a picture after the rinse, but the applied Chemical Guys D-Con; how it looked after doing all 4 wheels
    20140507_143146_zpsl1s71xxc.jpg

After 5 minutes - was in direct sunlight, so decided I'd wash it off as most of the work was probably done
    20140507_143433_zpsqpiadaye.jpg

Rinsed - not bad for a touchless wash - was lots of tar, and in the corners of the spokes still needed attention, but for no agitation and the state they were in; I'll take it
    20140507_143818_zpsocusuvy8.jpg

Wheels really need to come of the car and be given the full treatment...painful job, so think I'll protect them properly when I do! ;)

Before
    20140507_134308_zpsfjzpxco9.jpg

Car power hosed down; washed with the two bucket method. A bit better....
    20140507_145200_zpseeoin24p.jpg

Definitely no protection - miss the beads! :(
    20140507_150106_zpslnnpmzue.jpg

Didnt bother to dry it and this is the resulting water staining - should have really washed the car again, but wasnt bothered! :P
    20140507_151002_zpsewxc0tsa.jpg

Decided that Id do half the bonnet and a panel on the side of the car with OAC Perfection, so see the results on untreated paintwork, as I had only applied it on paintwork with LSP that was on the way out. Wanted to see how it would perform over the next while, until the next wash; watch out for beading photos in Beadophiles! :)
    Some of the white marks are actually bits of fluff from a new towel Id opened.

20140507_151129_zps6qvj2bux.jpg

20140507_151153_zpseavwzrjg.jpg

20140507_151205_zps1iasetlm.jpg

The car is destroyed in swirls; was starting to show some anyways, before I stupidly decided I'd rush a quick wash not following the methods I'd usually preach about! Car hasnt been polished in around 4 years; jezz I have it 4 years now!! It's in desperate need of a machine polish; might have to do it panel by panel over a few weeks, as I just dont have the time anymore!
    Perfection on the right - definitely deeper, glossier, and hiding some defects!!
    Will see how the beading is when it rains!

20140507_151438_zps8ddczvva.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

I'm shocked. I honestly believed your car would be spotless!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just a quick wash today
    One bucket and a big brush
    Wiped down with Baby oil
    :D

10353652_878187928875021_8656120687591757156_n.jpg

It's a classic case of The Cobbler's Children's Shoes!

One of my mates is a bloody good mechanic, and his own car and his wife's car often get left on the long finger for servicing.

Jesus Vectra, that E46 has a savage gloss on it!

Never mind the baby oil - you must've squeezed the juice out of a whole unicorn on that one!

• Advertisement

mfergus wrote: »
    I'm shocked. I honestly believed your car would be spotless!

Previously, it would have been!! Now the lil fella is almost a year old, Im hoping he'll be spending some time on days out with this Granddad's or uncles and aunts....give me some peace too do a bit on the car!!

Used to be kept like this, without fail!! :o

20130227_172720_zpsefdbd88f.jpg
    vectra wrote: »
    Just a quick wash today
    One bucket and a big brush
    Wiped down with Baby oil
    :D

10353652_878187928875021_8656120687591757156_n.jpg

Someday; my car will compete; someday!! :D

Top work by yourself and Nick - great to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Jaysus Vectra your son must be so lucky (or spoiled) :pac: Not a hope in hell my dad would even wash my car. He laughs at me for even giving it a quick wash. "Sure it'll be dirty again tomorrow" :rolleyes:

Edit - Any chance ye would send that car back Connacht direction :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Here Curran, a crowd out near you called detailing garage or something like that might be able to polish up that car for ya :D

Here Curran, a crowd out near you called detailing garage or something like that might be able to polish up that car for ya :D

Thanks for that Dave; because I was considering taking the car for a spin down to the sticks, ya know, bring the missus and lil fella on a night away....and dropping it to a place called "D n C Valet & Detailer", but was warned they are cowboys!! :D;) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Curran wrote: »
    Thanks for that Dave; because I was considering taking the car for a spin down to the sticks, ya know, bring the missus and lil fella on a night away....and dropping it to a place called "D n C Valet & Detailer", but was warned they are cowboys!! :D;) :P

Where have I seen DnC Valet and detailer recently (serious q)

Try the signature, 3 posts up! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Curran wrote: »
    Try the signature, 3 posts up! ;)

I'm blind............and thick:o

So I have someone local at home and no time to be there. Great

Firstly I want this car but secondly - the foam!! I have yet to get the consistency CG gets with this but got close to it using it with a mix of hyperwash and mr.pink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SS66yCEtwQ&list=TLN6ZdzDCungjoDxMz0zWtBxDbUFs8RhN6

Also, if you havent purchased a microfiber madness drying towel - do, it is the best drying towel I have ever used

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭mikeyod123

So I had my first go at detailing today and I think it went alright. I washed the car, de-tarred it, used an iron cleanser, used a clay bar, polished with autoglym super reisin polish and finished it off with collinite 845. I think everything went alright until the polishing and waxing as I just wasnt sure if I was putting on enough or was i putting on too little but there is a good shine off it anyways. Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

You must have a good handbrake, that is a steep hill :P

Car looks good :)

Advertisement