Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Had a bit of time Tuesday to give my car a bit of a clean, only had 2 hours so couldn't do everything, gave her a clean and dried her off and tried out Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection after a small bit of claying. Must say I was very impressed with the results and it brought up a lovely shine. Didn't have time to use any polish on top of that but looking forward to seeing the results when I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

SRP should be used first as it's a polish and EGP used on top of that to protect the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

SRP should be used first as it's a polish and EGP used on top of that to protect the finish.

Ah yes of course, sorry. Got carried away because I didn't have time for both today so just wanted to try EGP. Love it anyway and will use it again next time AFTER polish :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Cleaned the 156 today. Foolishly didn't take any pics (in fairness it was just a wash) but I did take a pic of the rinse bucket. Clearly shows the importance of the two bucket method.

To those who wonder what's the need to have two buckets, this here is the rinse bucket that I washed my mit in prior to using the suds bucket (curran/mm/vectra can explain the technicalities). Also the car was reasonably clean before hand no mud etc just dust. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Jezz that picture gives me Vertigo! :P :D

But a very good example of what they 2BM should be used.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wow, some serious work on this thread!
    One I get my delivery of a young boardsie here I will fire up a few pics.
    I used the wheel woolies and they are a cracking job, need to de-tar though and I see the white "paw" marks on the car, I see a dirty hand mark where the lads putting on my new tires must have left :(

My wife car is destroyed with white marks so I will get at that in a few weeks once my back starts to get back to normal.
    It will take me hours to get right but it will be the ultimate challenge! :D

Out of interest, what do you use to rid of what looks like a yellowish film on parts of her alloys?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

yop wrote: »
    Out of interest, what do you use to rid of what looks like a yellowish film on parts of her alloys?

SRP and plenty of elbow grease, then seal with the sealant of choice. Personally, I use AG Hi-Def.. Lasts for ages :)

Yellowish film is usually contaminant particles embeded in the paint. OAC Iron Cleanse will shift it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

SRP and plenty of elbow grease, then seal with the sealant of choice. Personally, I use AG Hi-Def.. Lasts for ages :)
    Yellowish film is usually contaminant particles embeded in the paint. OAC Iron Cleanse is will shift it.

Thanks lads. I am not a proper car cleaner but I like to car to look good, but hers is a sad state now!
    I see one of the lads on here took out a good few scrapes and scratches, trolley horror!!!, must get into that also at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If it is on the alloy wheel centre hub caps (made of plastic) and not the wheel rim/spokes, it is where the colour-coded silver paint has worn off.

• Advertisement

TomMc wrote: »
    If it is on the alloy wheel centre hub caps (made of plastic) and not the wheel rim/spokes, it is where the colour-coded silver paint has worn off.

Good point. From my experience though, it usually appears in the corner where the spokes meet the rim.

Good point. From my experience though, it usually appears in the corner where the spokes meet the rim.

Its in the where the spokes meet the rim indeed. Pain in the rear!

Its in the where the spokes meet the rim indeed. Pain in the rear!

Get iron cleanse from detailing shed, wash the wheels as normal, dry them, spray iron cleanse all over them (there's iron particles everywhere, not just in the corners), let it work for 5 minutes, agitate with a wheel brush or something soft if you have it, hose off.

The Rav's been getting neglected for a while. Went out to give it a whirl today and when I was snow foamin' away, it was 'pulsing' a lot.

(that is, it was spraying, stopping, spraying, stopping, spraying, stopping, each at about half-second intervals).

Figured i'd a bit of a blockage in my lance, but thought 'sure i'll fire ahead anyway and see if it clears). Then the pressure washer decided it had had enough and water came shooting out the handle.. anyone had this issue before?!

Video might be sideways. I rotated it, but Youtube takes a little while to apply updates. Is it a faulty washer, or have I just worked it too hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Thats not good!!

The pulsing of the machine is a lack of water to the machine. Kink in the hose or poor water pressure so the feed isnt sufficient. Machine pulses as it draws the water and when sufficient pressure is made it carries on as normal, but if feed is poor, it will happen again almost instantly. If the machine is airlocked it will do this for a short while also.

How does it react when the extension bit of the gun is added or the snow foam lance is on??

I know what you're talking about Curran. When this happens you MUST stop pulling the trigger and give the water a chance to build up. It does make the motor come to a grinding halt which sounds horrible but it's better than holding the trigger when there's not enough water pressure built up. This often happens if you have your own well and the dishwasher or washing machine are running.

KKV, I think your water pump is bollixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Spent yesterday cleaning the outside of the mothers merc. I never want to do it again, it's feckin massive. Paintwork was in ****e on it.
    Oh and this clay bar is finished with :pac:

Curran wrote: »
    Thats not good!!

The pulsing of the machine is a lack of water to the machine. Kink in the hose or poor water pressure so the feed isnt sufficient. Machine pulses as it draws the water and when sufficient pressure is made it carries on as normal, but if feed is poor, it will happen again almost instantly. If the machine is airlocked it will do this for a short while also.

How does it react when the extension bit of the gun is added or the snow foam lance is on??

Well see, it was firing away on all cylinders initially (whenever i go to use it, I have to spray water randomly for a minute or two as the pressure usually dies on it, and it has to be built up again. If I use it straight away it's very 'spurty' and spits a lot and the machine goes mad, so i leave it for a minute or two to build up the pressure again, and then it's grand).

I think you use the same machine as me (the C120)? It sounds like an industrial hoover for a while, then makes a 'star wars'-esque kind of noise when it's rearing to go and goes silent (until you start using it). I don't let it dehydrate.

I presume all pressure washers are the same.

It was shooting away with no issues, and when I put the AD Snow lance on it began it's on again, off again, half-second intervals (hence, I figured there might be some slight blockage in the lance itself).

So I fired away for about 15-20 seconds hoping the build up of pressure would force out whatever was blocking the lance, and when I stopped squeezing the handle, the water began coming out everywhere (as in the video. In the video above, the lance had just been taken off about 2 seconds earlier, as it was too awkward to hold and record at the same time).

I know what you're talking about Curran. When this happens you MUST stop pulling the trigger and give the water a chance to build up. It does make the motor come to a grinding halt which sounds horrible but it's better than holding the trigger when there's not enough water pressure built up. This often happens if you have your own well and the dishwasher or washing machine are running.

KKV, I think your water pump is bollixed.

When you say water pump, presumably you're talking about an internal part of the machine itself? (I'm no plumber! :o ).

Surely the fact that the water is shooting out of it left, right and centre would mean there's no issue with it getting fed a healthy supply of water?

As an aside, there were no loops or jams in the hoses, no excessive tugging at the machine that could cause any breakages, and as usual when I'm cleaning the car, there were no water-intensive products in use (no washing machines on or baths/showers being had, etc).

Considering it's only 6 months old and hasn't exactly had a hard life, I'm a bit peeved.. :(

6 months..? It'll still be under guarantee...Take it back..!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Spent yesterday cleaning the outside of the mothers merc. I never want to do it again, it's feckin massive. Paintwork was in ****e on it.
    Oh and this clay bar is finished with :pac:

MIL merc the same! if she ever asks me to wash it again, I aint using any of my good stuff, fvck it, I'll even wash it with a sponge!

• Advertisement

When you say water pump, presumably you're talking about an internal part of the machine itself? (I'm no plumber! :o ).

Surely the fact that the water is shooting out of it left, right and centre would mean there's no issue with it getting fed a healthy supply of water?

As an aside, there were no loops or jams in the hoses, no excessive tugging at the machine that could cause any breakages, and as usual when I'm cleaning the car, there were no water-intensive products in use (no washing machines on or baths/showers being had, etc).

Considering it's only 6 months old and hasn't exactly had a hard life, I'm a bit peeved.. :(

I'm talking about the internal pump in the washer. The water is obviously just being fed in by the garden hose but the pump isn't sucking it it, pressurizing it and sending it out again.

Four coats of AG Hi-Def, and one on the wheels :P

_IGP0242_zps3866873d.jpg
    _IGP0256_zps4878adea.jpg
    _IGP0245_zps6a9a6c41.jpg
    _IGP0250_zps2620f78a.jpg
    _IGP0243_zps377b9f68.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

^ Nice car.
    Love the color.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Savage colour. Is it rare? Only ever see reds and blacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

@KKV, PM sent re your PW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Very nice, missed the arches though george ;)

bazery wrote: »
    Savage colour. Is it rare? Only ever see reds and blacks
    Its Rosso Brunello Met. Used on some Skoda's as well, I believe.
    Very nice, missed the arches though george ;)
    Didn't quite "miss" them, they are coated with that strange "hairy carpet" stuff. Attracts all the grass and what-not

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

first time posting in the detailing forum as, well, it's my first time doing any real detailing of a car i have owned. After picking up a new motor last week, well new to me anyway, 11 520D i wanted to give it a proper bit of TLC
    its an ext company car from where i work, low enough mileage as it wasn't used by a sales guy, but the previous owner hadn't taken great care of the bodywork. not in bad nick, but handprints,and more annoyingly lots of dried in bird droppings that have marked the paint.

anyway, ordered a load of stuff from curran early in the week. hit into it this afternoon. all washes done with the two bucket method, first time doing that and i'm convinved.

anyway,washed, detarred(lots to deal with, 3 passed, and found out while waxing i missed a good bit), washed again, hand dried, then applied a coat of collinite 845. Alloys got a quick wash with a different mitt, but will get more focused tlc over the week if it stays fine. working on the interior as well but not done yet. all the glass cleaned as well

5 hours of work, tired now, but it looks a hell of a lot better. happy with the results.

20140517_185919_zps1cenmxae.jpg

20140517_185826_zps69pkano2.jpg

20140517_185930_zpspfmo6j3o.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I detail, I goPro, I technology. All that together equals a bit of fun video editing.

Vimeo link, for when youtube kicks because of the song:
    https://vimeo.com/95655045

• Advertisement

It must have taken you a while to edit that! No sign of the Interlagos alloys :pac:

Nice work though, both detailing wise and video wise! :)

Advertisement