Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Melbourne Rebels, 25th June 2013, Sky Sports 10.40am

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Melbourne Rebels
    simonmln wrote: »
    Missed everything because of work. What was he saying?

http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/8792082/zebo-flying-high

Nothing overly insightful, just that he went out, tried to have fun. And the crowd keep chanting his name throughout the interview, so he starts laughing through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Melbourne Rebels
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Amazingly he actually was our biggest ball carrier with 90 meters from eight carries....

Statistics eh ;)

That wouldnt be hard when everytime he got the ball he ran foward ten metres into contact rather than offload to the outside man.
    He only seemed today to want to run into contact or try the dummy pass and run into contact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭almostover

Missed the game today but have watched a couple of sets of highlights. Few points of contention:

1. Oh please god let Corbisiero be fit!! Grant is a tidy scrummager but sluggish in the loose and if he strays farther than 2 feet from a ruck could be badly exposed in defence. As seen last Sat, Vunipola isnt a technically competent scrummager. Cian Healy's loss is huge given the gulf in ability between him and these pretenders. My call - No change from last week's set up if Corbs fit.

2. Tough choice for the #19 jersey, Gray showed well but Evans performs better at the coalface. Evans is more forceful at ruck time and reads the opposition lineout well. My call - Evans in at reserve 2nd row.

3. The much squabbled about backrow: SOB showing well, especially displaying talent in different areas, carried well, tackled hard, won some lineouts 1 turnover. Played his way into matchday 23 without question. Lydiate did what he does best, put his body on the line and shut down space. Can, and will be used to shut down Genia next Saturday. Felateau, like SOB, displayed a good repertoire of skills but will not usurp Heaslip, especially with POC ruled out. My Call - 6. D. Lydiate, 7. S. Warburton, 8. J. Heaslip, 20. SOB.

4. Youngs on bench for Sat, Phillips will start. Too many unforced errors by Murray and loses out to Youngs based on similar playing style to Phillips.

5. Farrell shows his worth as Sexton's back up. Exemplary goal kicking and good distribution. Able and willing deputy if Sexton cries off. Temperament still questionable.

6. Maitland will keep his place on bench. Question is will T. Bowe get the nod ahead of Cuthbert. My answer is yes, Cuthbert has many BIL tours in his future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I was at the match. A sea of red but the game itself was a bit dull for something to cheer for.

My 2 cents;

There is a massive gulf in class between the Lions 1st team and 2nd team.

1st time seeing Zebo play live. Looked sharp in attack. His defence appeared weak at times. Rushed up in defence and went to smash a rebels player (can't remember who) and completely bounced off him and slightly injuried his shoulder doing so. A minute later he was then caught offside by stepping a yard or so in front of the ruck. Another instance he chased a kick but failed to put his man on the ground. He just slid down his legs and held on. Fantastic player that will develop great with time. Very exciting player.

Maitland had a solid performance. Did great for the build up for his own try. Appeared alot faster than I though he would. Thou I would feel alot better if Zebo came off the bench on Saturday but I can't see it happening. Hopefully Bowe is back from injury.

SOB should at least be on the bench on Saturday. He carried well. Offloaded a few times. I think he gave away a penalty of two thou and I believe that's what the main issue Gatland has. He was also a lineout option yesterday. You have to take into consideration that the Rebels were a very weak opposition. SOB playing 7 yesterday shows that he is not going to start on Saturday. Warburton will stay captain.

The centre's didn't set the world alight. Tuilagi distributed well but wasn't the boshing centre I was expecting. Did well but didn't warrant a test spot. Maybe he's still suffering from injury.

Kearney was solid. He didn't do much wrong at all. Attacked well but wasn't under too much pressure in defence. He did get turned once in defence but other than that he put up a good performance. He needed an exceptional performance to get anywhere near Halfpenny.

Again Farrell was solid. Kicked well. Good distribution. Nowhere near the class of Sexton but developed well on this tour.

Grey had a bad start to the game. Gave away a penalty and knocked the ball in some attacking positions. The 2nd half was alot better. Close call between him and Evans for the bench spot.

The front row is difficult to gauge. They were solid enough but against a weak opposition. They're still along way off a test spot. Corbs + Jones are vital to the scrum.

Lydiate and Falatau put in a good performance. Won't have too many complaints (despite what everybody says here) if Falatau nicks the no.8 jersey off Heaslip. It's a very close call between the two of them.

Murray did OK. Did what was expected from a scrum half. I though he should have up'd the tempo a bit more. Youngs would be my choice for scrum half on Saturday.

I couldn't get a pint before the match due to all the pubs being too full with Lions fans. Expecting town to be jammers with fans this Saturday. I'll be going in early to soak some of the atomosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Mitchell has been banned for 1 game for his tackle on Zebo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Melbourne Rebels
    Lelantos wrote: »
    Mitchell has been banned for 1 game for his tackle on Zebo

Nigel Hampton QC, the same judicial officer who adjudicated on the Horwill citing has decided to impose a one match ban.

“I found that the incident was clearly at the lowest level for this offence,” said judicial officer Nigel Hampton QC, in a statement released by the Australian Rugby Union.
    “The penalty associated for the lower level breach of Law 10.4 (j) is a suspension of four matches.
    “Because of the circumstances and Lachlan Mitchell’s good on-field record, I have determined that the maximum reduction to the sentence of 50 per cent should be applied.
    “Further to this, I found that an additional discount to the suspension should be made as I believe a two-match penalty would be disproportionate to the level and type of offence that has occurred.
    “As such, I have delivered a sanction of a one-match suspension, which will be fulfilled following the Rebels’ next Super Rugby fixture on July 12th.”

What is the point of having 'minimum' penalties if the judicial officer can further minimise them ?

The Horwill finding was a joke, and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

In fairness it's not minimum, it's entry level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Melbourne Rebels
    .ak wrote: »
    In fairness it's not minimum, it's entry level.

Eh, seems I'm confused here.

So the 'entry level' associated with this type of offence is a 4 match ban.

Grand.

So now we'll halve that as the guy has a clean record & he admitted the offence.
    Generous but fair enough.

What other possible consideration can be cited to halve the remaining ban ?

If this 'penalty associated' with this type of offence is a 4 match ban, why hasn't he been banned for 4 matches ?
    If 'entry level' meant anything, his clean record & admission of guilt should mean that he is not subject to a longer ban. Nothing else.

As it happens, a 1 match ban means he misses the entirely inconsequential final game of the season against the Highlanders.

That certainly sends out the right message.
    Spear tackle & get your hols on before your mates.

Advertisement