Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British and Irish Lions vs Melbourne Rebels, 25th June 2013, Sky Sports 10.40am

Options
  • 24-06-2013 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

Melbourne Rebels
    15-Jason Woodward, 14-Tom English, 13-Mitch Inman, 12-Rory Sidey, 11-Lachlan Mitchell, 10-Bryce Hegarty, 9-Luke Burgess, 8-Gareth Delve (c), 7-Scott Fuglistaller, 6-Jarrod Saffy, 5-Hugh Pyle, 4-Cadeyrn Neville, 3-Laurie Weeks, 2-Ged Robinson, 1-Nic Henderson.

Replacements: 16-Pat Leafa, 17-Cruze Ah Nau, 18-Paul Alo-Emile, 19-Luke Jones, 20-Jordy Reid, 21-Nic Stirzaker, 22-Angus Roberts, 23-Cooper Vuna.

Lions
    15. Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland)
    14. Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors/Scotland)
    13. Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers/England)
    12. Brad Barritt (Saracens/England)
    11. Simon Zebo (Munster/Ireland)
    10. Owen Farrell (Saracens/England)
    9. Conor Murray (Munster/Ireland)
    1. Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors/Scotland)
    2. Richard Hibbard (Ospreys/Wales)
    3. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers/England)
    4. Richie Gray (Scotland)
    5. Ian Evans (Ospreys/Wales)
    6. Dan Lydiate (Dragons/Wales, Capt)
    7. Sean O’Brien (Leinster/Ireland)
    8. Toby Faletau (Dragons/Wales)
    Replacements
    16. Rory Best (Ulster/Ireland)
    17. Tom Court (Ulster/Ireland)
    18. Matt Stevens (Saracens/England)
    19. Tom Croft (Leicester/England)
    20. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys/Wales)
    21. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers/England)
    22. Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester Rugby/England)
    23. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors/Scotland)

This is last chance saloon for many of the Lions players wishing to be involved in the Tests. While many players, such as Rob Kearney, Brad Barritt or Rory Best can do little to force their way into the side, opportunity knocks for some of the other stars in this side.

Sean O'Brien will hope for a big game to leapfrog Dan Lydiate onto the Test bench, while Justin Tipuric can also worsen Gatland's selection headache for Saturday. Fellow back rower (insert Scott Quinnell accent here) Faletau will need a big performance to oust Jamie Heaslip from the Test XV.

Injuries to Paul O'Connell and Alex Corbisiero means that Geoff Parling and Ryan Grant both have a great chance to force their way into Saturday's team, while Tom Court will hopefully have the honour of becoming the latest Lion at some point in the game.

In the backs, a big performance from Manu Tuilagi could see him into the side to face Australia, and big performances from Munster duo Simon Zebo and Conor Murray will do their hopes no harm coming up to the second test.

On the Melbourne side, Welshman Gareth Delve will be hoping to upset some of his compatriots with a big performance, while Wallabies capped Luke Burgess and former Wasp Lachlan Mitchell also hold the potential to throw a spanner in the works.

Verdict: The Lions "B" Team it may be, but I'm still expecting a 20 point win, with the 10, 12, 13 axis providing a bit of cohesion in the backs.

Who will win? 27 votes

British and Irish Lions
    0%
    Melbourne Rebels
    100%
    keano_afcekevosuheebusjeebussiochainZzippyduckysaucechecknraiseomega666gcgirlBlarney92PaddyCarandrewdcsHeroditaswillitHyperbulletjohn kinsellaFor PawsGracelessly TomKERSPLAT!astonaidan 27 votes
    Tom Court
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Cheers for the preview TKM. The Rebels have fielded their strongest team, so that's a plus. Hugh Pyle has been in great form this season, although he's only just returning from injury. Has there been a more eclectic collection of names on a reserves bench? Cruze Ah Nau...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Rebels have sometimes been able to click with the big stars on holiday and someone other than JOC at 10, but the Lions should be asking questions of themselves if they can't murder the Rebels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

matthew8 wrote: »
    The Rebels have sometimes been able to click with the big stars on holiday and someone other than JOC at 10, but the Lions should be asking questions of themselves if they can't murder the Rebels.

Higginbotham had a large part to do with the Rebel's turnaround. They will miss him more than Beale and JOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

If I might comment on the Lions team, I'm annoyed Barritt's getting another run. I know the alternative is 36, but the Rebels aren't that good on attack that the Lions need a brick wall behometh in mid-field offering little in the way of creativity. Zebo was good v the Tahs, so I look forward to seeing what he can bring to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭nerd69

Going to this game can't wait. Really strong team in my opinion this team could put it up to the lions 1st team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Higginbotham has been the back bone of the Rebels all season. Although they seem to perform better without JOC and Beale. Rebels have been playing quite well in the latter part of the season at home. They've played terrible away. Not as strong as the Brumbies / Reds / Waratahs but they had some close games all season at home. Hugh Pyle has scored alot of tries for a 2nd rower.

I like the look of the lions team. A big game is expected from the likes of SOB, Tuilagi, Kearney, Zebo, Faletau. Alot of players there are really pushing for a test spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Geoff Parling withdrawn from team v Rebels, Ian Evans starts, Tom Croft onto bench and Dan Lydiate captain

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gonna be in work for this... What's the best radio station to listen to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Melbourne Rebels
    That backrow for my is still a coin toss from what could have been a starting row, all about how they play together.

Seems maybe Croft Heaslip and Warburton gelled, so even if there is a "better" 6 /7 /8 around, getting into that kind of unit will be very tough.

I think the lions should win, but be closer to the brumbies game than any of the other warm ups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Lions should win this. I mean for start they've actually picked an out half which always gives them a fighting chance! Actually the Lions backline is quite good, you have the England 10-12-13 axis with Kearney and Zebo out wide. Farrell has steadily improved throughout the tour and Tuilagi is a terrific player. Barritt will be a rock in defence as always. I wonder whether a good performance by Murray will push him into the mind of the selectors, unlikely but you never know. I don't think I'm looking at it from a biased perspective when I say that he's been the form 9 on tour.

I also like the back row. I think that's a pretty good midweek Lions XV truth be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

.ak wrote: »
    Gonna be in work for this... What's the best radio station to listen to this?

Michael Corcoran on RTE Radio 1 Extra is enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Melbourne Rebels
    That backrow looks good enough to start the tests. Can't wait to see how they go together. I think there might even be a place in team on Saturday up for grabs. Surely with Joubert who allows a free for all on the deck O'Brien / Lydiate is a better pick than Croft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

bilston wrote: »
    The Lions should win this. I mean for start they've actually picked an out half which always gives them a fighting chance! Actually the Lions backline is quite good, you have the England 10-12-13 axis with Kearney and Zebo out wide. Farrell has steadily improved throughout the tour and Tuilagi is a terrific player. Barritt will be a rock in defence as always. I wonder whether a good performance by Murray will push him into the mind of the selectors, unlikely but you never know. I don't think I'm looking at it from a biased perspective when I say that he's been the form 9 on tour.

I also like the back row. I think that's a pretty good midweek Lions XV truth be told.

Unlikely, I'd say. I thought Philips was quite poor on Saturday, but I don't think anything will change. It would have been better for Murray if Youngs - not Philips - had played poorly, then he might have taken the bench spot. But Philips is very unlikely to be dropped from starter to out of the squad, and Youngs played well, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Is nobody watching this one?

Updated team sheet, and added time to title.

NO STREAM REQUESTS IN THREADS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Leslie91 wrote: »

Its not on yet :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Doesn't start for another 70 mins?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Doesn't start for another 70 mins?

Pfft, that's no excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

If anybody feels like PM'ing me, feel free to do so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Synode wrote: »
    If anybody feels like PM'ing me, feel free to do so :D

sent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Thinking about who can really put pressure on Gatland today I'd say the back row in it's entirety will feel it can force it's way into the test squad for Saturday and Tuilagi may feel he has a chance of the 12 shirt at the weekend with a big game today. Both second rows are fighting for a bench spot as well. So lots to look forward this morning.

As for the test back row, has a back row of 6) Warburton 7) O'Brien 8) Heaslip ever been considered? If SOB puts in a compelling argument at 7 today it may not be beyond the realms of imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Excited to see Manu, Zebo and Kearney with chances to impress. Particularly, depending on their performances today, since Zebo and Kearney could be in direct competition for the 23 jersey.

Maybe I'm being optimistic, but with Parling being called into Saturday's team, I could see a good performance from O'Brien putting him in the 6 spot instead of Croft, and Croft and Lydiate making the bench to cover all of lock and back row?

Switching out O'Connell and Croft for Parling and O'Brien to me represents the best way of offsetting POC's injury in terms of playing styles.

Michael Corcoran on RTE Radio 1 Extra is enjoyable.

Hrmm. I'm using an iPhone, can I get this on the RTE app? It's not on the list....

Hrmm. I'm using an iPhone, can I get this on the RTE app? It's not on the list....

Never mind, my work laptop amazingly allows their stream to work.

EDIT: Anyone else looking for the RTE radio stream http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=24%3A%2D2%3A14373%3A25%2D06%2D2013%3A

• Registered Users Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Just checked now and you can get it using the tunein app.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Unfortunately Donal "tramendus" Lenihan is on commentary with RTE.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Hoping the Rebels put in a good performance, they have been steadily improving all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭MattD

Jaysus, Grant's face is still a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭Kanrith

Murray seems pretty quick from the ruck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Great steal from SOB

Advertisement