Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty years since homosexuality was decriminalised in Ireland

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

[QUOTE=mikehammer67;85311993
    Marriage in the Catholic Church, also called matrimony, is a "covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring.
    .[/QUOTE]

Great so that means anyone wanting that kind of traditional marriage can go to their local Catholic church.

The rest of us who don't hold that view can use the variety of other options for civil marriages that we feel best represent our unions. Everyone happy? Good, glad that is cleared up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

is it ridiculous that a man and a woman get married and have children

gay people have partnerships........

have gay sex ...........

adopt children...........

thats different to marriage like.....
    Did I say it was ridiculous? No, I said the attitude which you and a lot of people have which makes you think you're entitled to live other people's lives is ridiculous. But let me share something with you - there are men and women who marry and don't have children. There are men and women who have sex in...non-traditional ways. There are even straight people who adopt! What will we do? :eek: And god forbid gay people have gay sex, what's next?
    we're mostly catholic here

Marriage in the Catholic Church, also called matrimony, is a "covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of the whole of life and which is ordered by its nature to the good of the spouses and the procreation and education of offspring.

thats the way i see it...........

i understand you have a problem with that and will keep debating on and on ........

just my 2c worth and i don't need to have my opinion changed thank you..........
    Here's another shocking fact: not everyone is Catholic. Let that sink in for a moment, I don't know why so many homophobes find that so hard to get their head around. Do you also have a problem with children born outside wedlock? Divorce? If not, it's a huge double standard. At the end of the day it doesn't affect you either and it's none of your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Then most folk will not be gay marrying, presumably. Good for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

That's perfectly fine..... for the Catholic Church.

Luckily nobody's asking the Catholic Church to let gay people marry so you're safe.

But you can't start quoting Catholic standards and expect people who aren't Catholic to live by them.

So y'know - that's life. Gays will be marrying soon. But not in your church.

Everyone's happy.

I expect you to stop using condoms too though - cause y'know the Catholic Church doesn't allow them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

lol

funny how anyone that doesn't want certain changes is a homophobe and gets relentless attacked for it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

lol

funny how anyone that doesn't want certain changes is a homophobe and gets relentless attacked for it
    Funny how homophobes get offended when their homophobia is pointed out. You don't want gay people getting rights because they're gay. Please tell us how you are not homophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lol

You're arguing for the 'tyranny of the majority'. Mob rule, in effect. As a result, yes, you are going to get a hard time of it and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ha ha the irony, claiming we are "A Catholic People"....not only speaking for every single person in Ireland, but also defending the church, the same church that for centuries abused and tortured and killed little kids for kicks, controlled the country with their outdated and irrelevant laws/views and also held this country to ransom for many decades, that the same church? Good riddance to it, this will be thelast generation who clings to this way of life, the rest of us have moved on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

Canard wrote: »
    Funny how homophobes get offended when their homophobia is pointed out. You don't want gay people getting rights because they're gay. Please tell us how you are not homophobic.

i'm not offended

this is after hours

i may not even be serious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I wish people were more understanding. Nobody vilifies you if you're agoraphobic or acrophobic, but if you're terrified of the foreigners and the gays it's suddenly an issue!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

like prostitution fizzled out when they decriminalized sex huh......

I'm not saying it's completely died out just that with homosexuality being more generally accepted that less people need to use a park for anonymous sex. Of course there will always be a percentage of people that like that illicit thrill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

not everybody thinks gay marriage is a great idea

some things should be changed ....some should remain the same

Just because someone is heterosexual doesn't make them a fit parent !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

i understand you have a problem with that and will keep debating on and on ........

just my 2c worth and i don't need to have my opinion changed thank you..........

Christ where did we get you?

Firstly we are not Practicing Catholics jees if I counted all the catholics I know using artificial contraception we'd be here a while, we would be class as cultural catholics, secondly why are people obessed with gay sex ? Like any couple sometimes its gets left behind I know plenty of hetros in sexless marriages I'd imagine there are gay relationships like that too

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wish people were more understanding. Nobody vilifies you if you're agoraphobic or acrophobic, but if you're terrified of the foreigners and the gays it's suddenly an issue!

The former two typically involve irrational fear; the latter two typically involve irrational fear and hatred of people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Rothmans wrote: »
    Alot less than 20 I'd say!

less than 2!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

yes, we've got the gay referendum passed

but i ask you... would two gays be comfortable (or accepted) walking hand in hand down a main street in rural ireland ??

are we really an open society??

Advertisement