Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty years since homosexuality was decriminalised in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,927 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yep, only 20 years. I was in my first year of college when this happened. It was long overdue but don't forget that divorce wasn't even legal in 1993 and condoms had only been allowed in pub toilets a couple of years ago

Actually Ireland didnt allow condoms in vending machines until June 1993

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was Virgin on the ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

efb wrote: »
    Prostate man!

What a terrible idea for a super hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭TheFOB

People reading this thread should say 10 Holy Mary's and 3 Our Father's before bed tonight.

“And Jesus walked to the land of Sodomites and struck down those before him" - Luke 4:16-17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

TheFOB wrote: »
    People reading this thread should say 10 Holy Mary's and 3 Our Father's before bed tonight.

“And Jesus walked to the land of Sodomites and struck down those before him" - Luke 4:16-17

“And Jesus walked to the land of Sodomites and struck down those before him with his giant wang and said unto them, "WOOO! HELICPTER! YOLO!" - Luke 4:16-17

• Advertisement

Fantastic step for Ireland not segregating gay people from straight people.

And then the step backwards by allowing The Gay Games in Limerick, Segregating Gay people from straight people. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

The very fact they had to go to the ECHR is frightening and a poor reflection on the country's views at the time.
    Fantastic step for Ireland not segregating gay people from straight people.

And then the step backwards by allowing The Gay Games in Limerick, Segregating Gay people from straight people. :rolleyes:

You seem to do this a lot. The gay games allows everyone to participate so your point is moot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

If the catholic church had their way these homosexuals would still be priests and nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I started reading this thread and thought "Yeay, Ireland has come a long way, it's great" and then I read some of the posts here. Maybe not then...

On the plus side, I think it's mad that it was illegal twenty years ago and yet one of my best friends came out to me ten years ago and I didn't bat an eyelid. That was only ten years after it was illegal so it technically should have been shocking but I couldn't have given a flip what way he swung. Neither did most other people. Just goes to show how ridiculous the law was in the first place.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    The very fact they had to go to the ECHR is frightening and a poor reflection on the country's views at the time.

You seem to do this a lot. The gay games allows everyone to participate so your point is moot.

Why call it the gay games ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

To frighten people like you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

flas wrote: »
    because your sh*t at it.

O I'd say not. What has you all angry and bitter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....because all the men wear very tight fitting skimpy clothes and are very muscular and fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Had it been necessary to amend the constitution, this change would never have passed a referendum back then, or even probably now.

Sad to say and worth bearing in mind about the current shower roaring about abortion legislation requiring a referendum.

Hoop66 wrote: »
    To frighten people like you.

Oh because i am against having such events that makes me a homophobe?

You got it all wrong, i am all about breaking down barriers and not creating new ones as we are all equal, gay straight bi, we should all have equal rights and all should be allowed marry who we want without prejudice.

Gay Games = Barrier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

You got it all wrong, i am all about breaking down barriers and not creating new ones as we are all equal, gay straight bi, we should all have equal rights and all should be allowed marry who we want without prejudice.

Gay Games = Barrier

As has been pointed out to you, many times, anybody can join in the parades and I'm assuming anyone can watch or help out with the games. There's no barriers I'm aware of, Doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

TheFOB wrote: »

Ah yes, the old triumph sodomite, it could have been such a great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Gay Games = Barrier

From their website
    Inclusion fosters an atmosphere where all are welcome to the Gay Games® in whatever manner they choose, whether as athlete, artist, official or supporter. The Gay Games® are open to all, regardless of one’s race, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, religion, ethnic origin, political belief, age, physical challenge, health status, athletic or artistic skills.
    http://gaygames.org/wp/about-the-fgg/about-the-federation/participation-inclusion-and-personal-best/

So basically, it's far more inclusive than most sporting events including the olympic games. Many sports are considered to be highly homophobic eg The NFL. So establishing a sporting event that recognises that everyone is essentially different which it does very much so through it's inclusiveness. It also draws awareness to the fact that homophobia is very much present in society. For example someone being upset by the title would be entirely irrational, no? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Actually Ireland didnt allow condoms in vending machines until June 1993

I remember buying them from under the counter. Always a bit silly. Am I wrong in recalling UCD student bar did have a machine installed but it was removed pronto, folllowing complaints?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Meangadh wrote: »
    I started reading this thread and thought "Yeay, Ireland has come a long way, it's great" and then I read some of the posts here. Maybe not then...

On the plus side, I think it's mad that it was illegal twenty years ago and yet one of my best friends came out to me ten years ago and I didn't bat an eyelid. That was only ten years after it was illegal so it technically should have been shocking but I couldn't have given a flip what way he swung. Neither did most other people. Just goes to show how ridiculous the law was in the first place.

Ireland didnt prosecute for years before this. Its not like David Norris had to hide his identity.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    Had it been necessary to amend the constitution, this change would never have passed a referendum back then, or even probably now.

Sad to say and worth bearing in mind about the current shower roaring about abortion legislation requiring a referendum.

Yeah it would have. And it would win 70%+ now.

Yeah it would have. And it would win 70%+ now.

Were you all grown up twenty years ago?

Utter bollox

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Utter bollox

Don't underestimate the conservative nature of the irish voter me ould flower

old hippy wrote: »
    I remember buying them from under the counter. Always a bit silly. Am I wrong in recalling UCD student bar did have a machine installed but it was removed pronto, folllowing complaints?

As far as I know a lot of the university SUs installed machines despite the ban

Terry Pratchet

Don't underestimate the conservative nature of the irish voter me ould flower

I don't. If there was a referendum tomorrow to decriminalise gay male sex tomorrow it would win. That is a fact.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Terry1985

Because the main event is the wheelbarrow race.

Ireland didnt prosecute for years before this. Its not like David Norris had to hide his identity.

apart from the fact he could have easily been sacked

Terry Pratchet

Were you all grown up twenty years ago?

Yes. Why? (Well i was 17 but i remember it )

• Advertisement

I don't. If there was a referendum tomorrow to decriminalise gay male sex tomorrow it would win. That is a fact.

It's a fact is it?

Advertisement