Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twenty years since homosexuality was decriminalised in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

There is a certain percentage of people who think that ireland is always 1950 and 20 years doesnt matter ( as if attitudes dont change and older generations never die out). People at pensionable age in ireland now rocked to the beatles, not the same as the 65 year olds in 1990.

We do know that 70% support gay marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Corkfeen wrote: »
    From their website

So basically, it's far more inclusive than most sporting events including the olympic games. Many sports are considered to be highly homophobic eg The NFL. So establishing a sporting event that recognises that everyone is essentially different which it does very much so through it's inclusiveness. It also draws awareness to the fact that homophobia is very much present in society. For example someone being upset by the title would be entirely irrational, no? :rolleyes:

I guess they should change the name if they don't want people to make assumptions. I mean if i had a "straight games" i am sure you would assume it to be anti-gay

The idea is good however. I wonder how long it will be until we see no need for separate games/ leagues. Judging by the opposition to marriage, i am doubtful it will be soon

Bambi wrote: »
    It's a fact is it?

Cf opinion polls on gay marriage.

Why do you want to believe that Ireland is more conservative than it is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭mikemcdeedy100

they should just leave it at the civil partnership for gay couples

thats where it should be at

marriage is for a man and woman to procreate and for children to be conceived born and reared

i'm not conservative like but it just seems obvious

i mean the willy was designed to fit a pussy like wasnt it?..................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

It's going to be an absolute fact that the anti-gay side will purely focus on the child raising aspect. Which is a load of old rubbish as gay people can already adopt

"Do you want gay men stealing your children and raising them as gay!"

Aside though I think the more conservative people are underestimating the younger population.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    It's going to be an absolute fact that the anti-gay side will purely focus on the child raising aspect. Which is a load of old rubbish as gay people can already adopt

"Do you want gay men stealing your children and raising them as gay!"

Aside though I think the more conservative people are underestimating the younger population.

That is gay marriage. Bambi doesn't even believe that irish people would vote even now for gay legalisation, were it an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

EyeSight wrote: »
    I guess they should change the name if they don't want people to make assumptions. I mean if i had a "straight games" i am sure you would assume it to be anti-gay

The idea is good however. I wonder how long it will be until we see no need for separate games/ leagues. Judging by the opposition to marriage, i am doubtful it will be soon

Do you believe it to be anti-straight? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

marriage is for a man and woman to procreate and for children to be conceived born and reared

Was it designed to fit a mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

That view of marriage falls apart when you realise that when a couple apply to marry they're not asked, at any stage, about their ability, desire, or suitability, to have children.

Plenty of hetero couple get married knowing full well they can't procreate together. Yet, I never see anyone clamouring to force a civil partnership on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

As you just said, that's gay marriage :)

If legislation hadn't been passed back then, we'd still have a sizable amount of voters right now pissing and moaning about gays just like they piss and moan about abortion. Opinion polls? On a "moral" question I wouldn't trust them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 115 ✭✭mikemcdeedy100

NuMarvel wrote: »
    Plenty of hetero couple get married knowing full well they can't procreate together.

and ALL gay couples get married knowing full well they can't procreate together..................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

A victory of sorts but this thread proves only too well that homophobia is here to stay, be it through ignorance or maliciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Daith

and ALL gay couples get married knowing full well they can't procreate together..................

Well no. They can't get married.

If a straight couple gets married and find they can't have children should they get an annullment?

Marriage is not about having children.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    A victory of sorts but this thread proves only too well that homophobia is here to stay, be it through ignorance or maliciousness.

Where? I see one guy opposed to gay marriage and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

wow I find it strange it's only 20 years, that I was alive during a time when it was illegal, no wonder so much negative attitude still exists towards it today.

Bambi wrote: »
    As you just said, that's gay marriage :)

If legislation hadn't been passed back then, we'd still have a sizable amount of voters right now pissing and moaning about gays just like they piss and moan about abortion. Opinion polls? On a "moral" question I wouldn't trust them.

You have your own facts then? Based on what? Your own prejudices about the Irish voter, do you think then that the population who would criminalize homosexuality is greater than the <30% who oppose marriage equality and the <20% who oppose civil partnership?

Abortion is a different argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

TheFOB wrote: »
    People reading this thread should say 10 Holy Mary's and 3 Our Father's before bed tonight.

“And Jesus walked to the land of Sodomites and struck down those before him" - Luke 4:16-17

:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

TheFOB wrote: »
    It's tighter, warmer and more degrading for her.

Sorry to burst your bubble plenty of women like a bit of Anal it's pretty mainstream now in 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

whats it like for a man to take it up the bum compared to a woman

can he get an anal orgasm too?

What age are you? 13

Go back to biology and check out the prostate

gcgirl wrote: »
    What age are you? 13

Go back to biology and check out the prostate

Also check out the prostrate if you are over 65.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I was listening to a few clips of the debates in the Dáil from the time and I noted that the outrageous views propounded would be roundly dismissed in 2013. Talk about having to protect the sexual development of young people and objection to the prospect of women holding hands. It did, at the same time, give me a bit of encouragement that similarly huge strides will be made towards not only tolerance but acceptance for people who are not like us in certain ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Do you believe it to be anti-straight? :pac:

not anti-straight but from the name i would assume it is only for gay people.
    As i said, it's a nice idea, i just thing they limit their aspirations with that name

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul9791

Mick Daly would sort ye out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Also check out the prostrate if you are over 65.

Or under 65. Not just an older man's problem.

As i said, it's a nice idea, i just thing they limit their aspirations with that name

What's only for gay people? Not Pride marches or games, as has been pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paul9791

gcgirl wrote: »
    Sorry to burst your bubble plenty of women like a bit of Anal it's pretty mainstream now in 2013
    Too true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Take it you completely ignored the content of my previous post.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

WumBuster wrote: »
    Just wondering, was the law enforced up until that time i.e were people actually being arrested for being homosexual or was it just a dud law for a number of years
    The law was only applied where there was the involvement of a minor, or where a sexual assault had occurred, or where any sexual act had taken place in a public place.

No two adult men, engaging in private sexual acts with consent had been prosecuted by the DPP since the inception of that office.

In fact, this was one of the central arguments made by the Government in trying to stop the European Court of Human Rights from hearing David Norris's application. They insisted that since he had never been prosecuted he had no locus standi - i.e. essentially, he hadn't a leg to stand on.

Mary Robinson acting for David Norris argued that it was a violation of his human rights to even have the threat of prosecution hanging over him. Thankfully, the Court agreed.

It should be pointed out too that the Irish Courts were not the bad guy in the Norris case. If anything, the High Court and the Supreme Court rulings, although they had to find against Norris, were tempered with sympathy and human compassion, and they awarded Norris his costs as some recompense. The courts have to deal with the law hanging above them, as written by Government.

It was the Government of the day who went to significant costs, displayed an outrageous level of arrogance and a puzzling determination just to challenge Norris every step of the way, despite all of indications that they were going to lose from the outset, based on previous rulings made by the ECHR.

This is all the more bewildering because, as it was noted by the Court at the time, public attitudes to homosexuality was far more accepting than the Government's actions would have suggested, which implies that the Government of the day were on a strange sort of moral crusade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

efb wrote: »
    Tomorrow it will be 20 years since homosexuality was decriminalised in Ireland

I'm old enough to remember the debates on this and how the Earth would spin off its axis if the law was changed. Didn't Alpha Centauri look grand last night as we whizzed past it?

Now, if only we could have same-sex marriage - we might get a slingshot from Alpha Centauri and get a close-up of Betalgeuse.

• Advertisement

BrensBenz wrote: »
    I'm old enough to remember the debates on this and how the Earth would spin off its axis if the law was changed. Didn't Alpha Centauri look grand last night as we whizzed past it?

Now, if only we could have same-sex marriage - we might get a slingshot from Alpha Centauri and get a close-up of Betalgeuse.

Don't forget Uranus :D

Advertisement