Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In reality, how useful are German, French etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

jimgoose wrote: »
    There is a difference? Computers are a complete waste of time.

Well you have really blown me away with your detailed, compelling argument. I shall now throw my hands up in the air, walk away from a career in computer science and thank my lucky stars that an extraordinarily intelligent boardsie has convinced me of the futility of technology before a life was wasted in the fastest growing industry on earth.

Sincerely, my deepest thanks to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well you have really blown me away with your detailed, compelling argument. I shall now throw my hands up in the air, walk away from a career in computer science and thank my lucky stars that an extraordinarily intelligent boardsie has convinced me of the futility of technology before a life was wasted in the fastest growing industry on earth.

Sincerely, my deepest thanks to you.

You're welcome. Computers have nothing to do with Computer Science, and sarcasm doesn't particularly become you, by the way. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

bluewolf wrote: »
    Semi fluent on 2 hours a week? Eh, no...
    I've been doing german 3 hours a week for 2.5 years and I'm at the second half of B2 level, you'll be ok to get by after 1 year but not semi fluent... whatever that is

So... you couldn't attain fluency within the space of a year, therefore no-one can? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So... you couldn't attain fluency within the space of a year, therefore no-one can? :confused:

Yeah that's definitely what I said :confused:
    If you're doing 2 hours a week in a non-native country ... I'd be skeptical. And I gave my own experience of how long it takes to get anywhere.

Anyway you may have read on and seen that we all came to an agreement on it

Yeah that's definitely what I said :confused:
    If you're doing 2 hours a week in a non-native country ... I'd be skeptical. And I gave my own experience of how long it takes to get anywhere.

Anyway you may have read on and seen that we all came to an agreement on it

2 hours a week isn't very much though. If you were doing that per day then a B1-B2 level would be easily achievable in a year. If you were spending 6+ hours a day you could probably even get C2 in a year. It all depends on how much work you put in and making sure that you study in the most efficient way for you.

B1 in Italian in a year doesn't strike me as a particularly lofty goal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

2 hours a week isn't very much though.
    That's what I was saying... the original poster I was quoting declared they would be "semi fluent" in a year doing 2 hours a week

How this turned into "fluency in a year" in general I don't know
    I'm sure if you wanted to cram it in every day for a year you'd be doing amazingly well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

That's what I was saying... the original poster I was quoting declared they would be "semi fluent" in a year doing 2 hours a week

How this turned into "fluency in a year" in general I don't know
    I'm sure if you wanted to cram it in every day for a year you'd be doing amazingly well

Agreed, B1 and B2 are 300 and 400 hours study, so you couldn't do it with just two hours a week. Two hour-long classes a week, plus a few hours a week private study? Maybe.

I don't think it's possible to be fluent within a year (I know that wasn't your point, but seeing as we've ended up there...) without being in the country, even if you studied 6 hours a day. Accents, regionalism, slang, intonation, sarcasm, etc. are all really difficult to master without interacting with people from that country on a daily basis. Some people can live in a country for years and never sound 'natural' speaking in that language.

You don't need to be in the country to speak to natives though. You can use immigrants/tourists/skype to get in plenty of language practise without needing to go abroad.

There's no need to be giving people more excuses for learning languages. There are less reasons now than there ever were before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

MadsL wrote: »
    Jak se maš. Jak jde tvoje Čeština?

I looked at this for a few seconds and did some blinking. Czech on boards. Never thought I'd see the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Agreed, B1 and B2 are 300 and 400 hours study, so you couldn't do it with just two hours a week. Two hour-long classes a week, plus a few hours a week private study? Maybe.

I don't think it's possible to be fluent within a year (I know that wasn't your point, but seeing as we've ended up there...) without being in the country, even if you studied 6 hours a day. Accents, regionalism, slang, intonation, sarcasm, etc. are all really difficult to master without interacting with people from that country on a daily basis. Some people can live in a country for years and never sound 'natural' speaking in that language.

Oh yeah, sarcasm's really difficult to master if you're a poster on AH...

In another language, you say? Sarcasm's the international language of.. of.. sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

French is a lovely language, I wish I'd paid proper attention in school.

French is a lovely language, I wish I'd paid proper attention in school.

Never too late. Lots of free courses on the net. Lots of stuff in your local library.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Oh now I feel bad using the word atrocious :o Too strong a word to describe her. I suppose it was the fact that she spoke exclusively in the present tense and I am 100% sure she knew her past tenses plus she was flustered and stressed, so I'm guessing in a different context, she'd be much better, I'm sure. Speaking only in the present tense sounds terrible in any language. This is a massive problem among Spaniards and it leaves me like this :eek: I have to tell them that they can't speak that way; that the conjugation of verbs in English is easy peasy and there's no excuse to speak that way.

Learning Spanish myself, I've had mixed feedback and I think in this country there's a great appreciation of colloquial Spanish and slang. It's only recently I'm using it as I tried to perfect "proper" Spanish first. When I drop in some slang, they're very impressed.

I think pronunciation (not accent) has a huge amount to do with it though. I have a friend here who's Greek-Canadian and has a A2/B1 level of Spanish (I'm B2 approaching C1) and she's often complimented on her Spanish because her pronunciation is spot on and she speaks very clearly, concisely and slowly...but she hasn't taken a class and speaks in the present tense and her vocab is very limited and would avoid reflexing (is that a word?) the verb and you can forget about the subjunctive. Drives me a little potty.

With my own students, I have to be careful not to be "tricked" by the same thing. I have to really listen to what they're saying to listen out for grammatical errors, their range of vocab etc. because you could easily believe they're better than they are when they speak with a neutral accent. Same goes for those who can't rid themselves of the very strong Spanish accent but have a great level. Tis a funny one.

Better be careful here because we're going slightly off on a tangent as regards what the OP originally asked, but I think you make some useful points.

Pronunciation is definitely important, as you mention, although contrary to yourself, I would also include accent. To give you a quick example: today I was listening to an Argentinian man speak English. When he first opened his mouth, both his accent and pronunciation seemed very foreign and I instinctively thought that he was going to have a poor level. Nevertheless, after a few minutes I realised that not only did he make very few grammar mistakes, but he also had a very wide vocabulary.

Our first impression is often hard to shake off and which can be both the making and downfall of us as human beings.

I also believe to a lesser degree the way we look also has an influence. In a similar way to when we listen to someone who looks Indian having a Scottish accent, which may initially shock or not seem right to many of us, something along the same lines can be seen with languages, although usually only for a short period of time.

Should a person have a very 'Western' look, say blond or red hair with freckles and pale skin, it can sometimes be difficult initially to convince people in some countries that you can actually speak their language. Even after you have come out with a few sentences which proves your capabilities.

In a similar vein, this is why I never mentioned anything about Ireland when travelling in South America, simply to prevent people from constantly speaking to me in English.

But yeah, to get back to the thread, even with these occasional handicaps, the study of languages can give you great confidence and enhance your self-esteem in many scenarios, if perhaps not being that useful in the job world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Oh yeah, sarcasm's really difficult to master if you're a poster on AH...

In another language, you say? Sarcasm's the international language of.. of.. sarcasm.

That's what you think! Intonation of sarcasm can differ from language to language. I sarcastically "bit the head off" one of my students (Spanish) for coming into class late 2 weeks ago with, "OOooooh it's nice you FINALLY decided to come to class today!!" said with a smile. An Irish person would've known I was joking but it was lost on her. I genuinely thought it was so obvious she couldn't miss it. Queue her getting embarrassed and I haven't seen her since! :o:( :cool: I know now to be absolutely literal and devoid of any kind of subtle humour 'til they reach a certain level in the lingo.

Or maybe she was just a big dry ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

I had mentioned (along with a couple of other posters) in this thread that languages are generally overrated when it comes to landing employment, other than for call centres and a few more prestigious roles. Therefore, I maintained that learning them should be used more for finding out about other cultures and getting to know people from other countries.

Having done a bit of research on this in the meantime, I'd like to change my stance somewhat.

Whereby I do feel the commonly learnt foreign languages, while useful to a CV, will largely be seen as more of a bonus than a pivotal skill in landing the job, this is not so much the case with minority languages, or those that are not usually learnt by foreigners.

Obviously these include many languages of the EU: Norwegian, Hungarian, Czech, Finnish, Lithuanian, even Polish. It also seems being fluent in Irish can provide some openings, but these are restricted usually to EU-related affairs. Plus worldwide languages, Thai, Japanese, Russian etc.

A contact of mine from England who speaks fluent Hungarian tells me that he is constantly being offered professional opportunities due to his abilities in that language. These are very attractive roles with good salaries, prospects and benefits also.

Even knowing Scandinavian languages, when most of their citizens speak English fluently already, can lead to many job openings, as someone who can communicate with the native markets in their own language is invaluable.

It does appear that while knowing German, French, Spanish, Italian and to a lesser degree Mandarin and Arabic are certainly commendable, it appears that when it comes to employment, there are just too many people who are comfortable in these languages to stand out in any notable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I've lost count to the amount of job posts requiring a specific language...

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

German is an extremely useful language, not only is it the most spoken 1st language in Europe, it's an economic language as such...........Vorsprung durch Technik!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I speak French. I spend a fair bit of time in France so its useful for that. Its quite widely spoken in parts of central and northern Africa too. I don't speak a word of German but every German I've met had fluent english. English is the most uselful language in the world. Whenever I've gone anywhere with a group of mixed nationalities everyone will speak English because its the only language everyone will have in common.

In Spain the kids don't learn French and in France the kids don't learn Spanish so when communicating they generally speak English. Its the same all over the Europe and most of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Buy an iPhone and pay for the professional translate app.

English is the universal language.

Irish is the reason for our difficulty, English: the cat is on top of the table. Irish: the cat the table is underneath of ~ and even that not a good example, Irish often puts the cart in front of the horse/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

French is very useful. You would be surprised at how many nations actually speak French as their First language and if they dont a lot of people would speak it as a second language.

German is Good for Central Europe.

I wish I had done French to my leaving cert instead of Latin believe it or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Red Nissan wrote: »

Irish is the reason for our difficulty, English: the cat is on top of the table. Irish: the cat the table is underneath of ~ and even that not a good example, Irish often puts the cart in front of the horse/

I agree that Irish causes us problems, but not in the way you're saying! Irish puts us off learning other languages - people are forced to do Irish, they hate it because it's badly taught (up until recently anyway) and they bring this attitude with them to other languages, assuming they're all the same.

What you're saying about word order has nothing to do with it - many Latin languages put sentences in different orders to English and people from those countries still manage to learn English. If anything, the word order of Irish should help us when it comes to learning other languages, because we should already be used to thinking about different word orders!!
    Eg.
    English: I bought it for him.
    Spanish: Se lo compré. ("For him it I bought")
    French: Je le lui ai acheté ("I it for him have bought")
    Irish: Cheannaigh mé seo dó. ("Bought I this for him")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I was out with a French lad I had a date with 2 weeks ago. The night went on and we got drinking and conversation kind of stalled a bit at one point, so he started asking me how my French was. I said I get by fine and only focus on the practical side of the language. He asked what did I mean, and I don't know why it popped into my head, but first thing came to mind was; "s'asseoir sur ma bite"

...and whad'ya know, it happened later on as well ;)

If that's not useful I don't want to know what is

1ZRed wrote: »
    I was out with a French lad I had a date with 2 weeks ago. The night went on and we got drinking and conversation kind of stalled a bit at one point, so he started asking me how my French was. I said I get by fine and only focus on the practical side of the language. He asked what did I mean, and I don't know why it popped into my head, but first thing came to mind was; "s'asseoir sur ma bite"

...and whad'ya know, it happened later on as well ;)

If that's not useful I don't want to know what is

D'accord... mais où est le metro Saint Michel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

D'accord... mais où est le metro Saint Michel?

Je ne sais pas, mais voulez vous coucher avec moi pendant que vous attendez pour les directions?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I am wondering the same thing job wise is it worth having, travel wise handy to have. Only leaving cert french but not in college thinking of refreshing or learn new language something to put on cv?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Wow after reading this thread I am really depressed that I'm doing Chinese as my degree !

Je ne sais pas, mais voulez vous coucher avec moi pendant que vous attendez pour les directions?

Malheureusement, je suis pressé... mon grand-père, d'autre part...

haro124 wrote: »
    Wow after reading this thread I am really depressed that I'm doing Chinese as my degree !

Yeah, basically, you're f`cked. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Yeah, basically, you're f`cked. :pac:

Do Chinese they said , be grand they said....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I thought that was a line from moulin rouge or the song beyonce or christina augerllara sang wrong spelling or was it group sang independent women charlies angels iv forgotten! :p

Advertisement