Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&I Lions v Wallabies, Match Thread, Sat June 22, 1105am

Options
  • 20-06-2013 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Time to kick-off

counter.gif

B&I LIONS V QANTAS WALLABIES

Date:Saturday June 22
    Venue: Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane
    Kick-off: 8.05pm AEST (11.05am UKST, 10.05 GMT)
    Referee: Chris Pollock (New Zealand)
    Assistant Referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa), Romain Poite (France)

British & Irish Lions: 15 Leigh Halfpenny, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Jonathan Davies, 11 George North, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Mike Phillips, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Tom Croft, 5 Paul O'Connell, 4 Alun Wyn Jones, 3 Adam Jones, 2 Tom Youngs, 1 Alex Corbisiero.

Replacements: 16 Richard Hibbard, 17 Makovina Vunipola, 18 Dan Cole, 19 Geoff Parling, 20 Dan Lydiate, 21 Ben Youngs, 22 Owen Farrell, 23 Sean Maitland.

Australia: 15 Berrick Barnes, 14 Israel Folau, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Christian Leali'ifano, 11 Digby Ioane, 10 James O'Connor, 9 Will Genia, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 Michael Hooper, 6 Ben Mowen, 5 James Horwill (c), 4 Kane Douglas, 3 Ben Alexander, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Benn Robinson.

Replacements: 16 Saia Fainga'a, 17 James Slipper, 18 Sekope Kepu, 19 Rob Simmons, 20 Liam Gill, 21 Nick Phipps, 22 Pat McCabe, 23 Kurtley Beale.

After much ado about not nothing, the real Lions series finally begins. So much figurative paper has been used discussing the multitude of combinations, tactics and selections, and finally we are there! And after 80 minutes or so (with 20 minutes for scrum collapses etc) at Suncorp, we will know whether Gats is onto a winner or not.

For the Lions the selection is fairly predictable, with most debate centering around the bench. The merits or lack thereof of Lydiate & Maitland and the omission of Sean O’Brien have caused the most angst on this forum.

For the Wallabies, the main issue is at 10, where JOC is essentially untested at the highest level, and his performance, along with that of the Wallaby tight 5, may well determine his team’s chances.

The Wallabies will have pored over the Lions’ displays to date, and expect them to play a more expansive game than they have done in the last season or 2. Israel Folau with ball in hand can be a thing of beauty.

The Lions will clearly favour their setpiece, particularly at lineout time, and any kickable penalty is likely to be punished by the Leigh-meister, who has been impeccable to date on this tour.

The bench will be important, where the Lions have Vunipola and Parling in particular, while the Wallabies have Gill and Beale.

Look for this to be a closely fought game with a single figure victory to either side.

May the best team win, and may we be insatiated at the end of the game, craving more action in the subsequent weeks to come!

Who will win the opening Test of the Lions Tour? 222 votes

Lions by more than 7
    0%
    Lions by less than 7
    27%
    TrojandreginCool_CMBig NellyPhoneheadraher1[Deleted User]subfreqkc66Diamondmakerjohnnysmackredzerdrogbing3buck65heebusjeebusBenny Cakegeurocolman1212jprenderStev_o 61 votes
    Wallabies by more than 7
    47%
    .akDempseyBigConjankmoby2101Hippokeano_afcOtaconcastieLeslie91toomevaraasdfgh86davyjoseeyeball kidDigifriendlyprojectgtrWeleaseWoderickZzippySideshow MarkCoDy1 105 votes
    Wallabies by less than 7
    8%
    peckerheadCrowdedHousekeith16gebbelpeterakoDDC1990redarmyManc-RedGarseysrockbeastCraig Dowling19543261TzrVwrNCypher_soundsseiphilPucaMamaEoinT89Glass Prison 1214IS_a_Class 19 votes
    Dan Lydiate
    16%
    PiligerneilmRedorDeadtolosencgoose06ongaritebuilttospillcornyironingboredmatthew8AmiraniduckysaucegrenachearodabombTimothy BryceBlarney92valleyoftheunosTaco Corpdarragh_havenD!armu!d 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Feck sake, I'm not getting any work done today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

I think the Aussies are going to win the test and the series. Just think Gatlands game plan is far too predictable and the likes of Cuthbert/Davies/Phillips are just too error prone to not cough up scores to what is an intimidating Aussie backline, for the first time in years boasting a midfield to match it's back three

JOC's performance at 10 will be crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7
    I think Maitland is the right call for the bench. Lydiate and Youngs is incorrect imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Wallabies by more than 7
    .ak wrote: »
    I think Maitland is the right call for the bench. Lydiate and Youngs is incorrect imo.

Can I respectfully request that we park the "OMG what is Lydiate doing there" discussion on this thread and just focus on the actual game?

Make yourself useful, .ak, and add a poll!

The Lions are three-point favourites (10/11) with Paddy Power, or 8/13 for the outright win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Can I respectfully request that we park the "OMG what is Lydiate doing there" discussion on this thread and just focus on the actual game?

Make yourself useful, .ak, and add a poll!

The Lions are three-point favourites (10/11) with Paddy Power, or 8/13 for the outright win.

Agreed, much and all as I disagree with the selection it could ruin the thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Wallabies by more than 7
    Guys, I know I'm revealing my leftie, sandal wearing, be-bearded side while also revealing myself to be an utter pedant (yes, as you might imagine, the ladies can't keep away) but the 'Quantas' wallabies? Really? And there was me thinking they represented the nation of Australia as opposed to a bleedin airline...please, please, please remove it from the thread title, if only to make an old, pedantic, commie a tad less miserable....no pasaran..ahem...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Wallabies by more than 7
    toomevara wrote: »
    Guys, I know I'm revealing my leftie, sandal wearing, be-bearded side while also revealing myself to be an utter pedant (yes, as you might imagine, the ladies can't keep away) but the 'Quantas' wallabies? Really? And there was me thinking they represented the nation of Australia as opposed to a bleedin airline...please, please, please remove it from the thread title, if only to make an old, pedantic, commie a tad less miserable....no pasaran..ahem...

I'm sorry, but boards.ie sponsorship rules mean we must keep it in the title... :pac:

What does 8/13 outright win mean? I'm not a betting man

If they played 21 matches, the lions would win 13 of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Lions by less than 7
    So its a ferry company versus an airline? Airline wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Can we not call them Australia?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Wallabies by more than 7
    Grimebox wrote: »
    What does 8/13 outright win mean? I'm not a betting man

If they played 21 matches, the lions would win 13 of them?

Sorry no, it means Paddy Power will pay out 8/13 on a Lions win of any margin, i.e. a €10 stake would win you (€10 x 8/13) = €6.10 profit plus your initial stake of €10 would be returned.

The handicap bet gives you better odds but if the Lions were to win by 1, 2 or 3 points, you would not collect anything. If the Lions win by four or more, a €10 stake would win you (€10 x 10/11) = €9.09 profit plus your initial stake returned.

So if you think the Lions will romp it, go for the handicap bet, if you think it will be very tight, go for the outright win option.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Gambas wrote: »
    So its a ferry company versus an airline? Airline wins.

Well I suppose it would technically be HSBC versus the airline if we were doing it properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Wallabies by more than 7
    durkadurka wrote: »

Well personally I cant wait 'til O2 Ireland take on Admiral Wales in the Aviva Stadium in IMF Dublin next year...Nurse! Nurse!..its time for me meds!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Wallabies by more than 7
    Lions by 4 I think. Can't wait for this. Heading up to it on Saturday morning. Hopefully I will have memories that will last a life time. Another BOD master class please.

Well personally I cant wait 'til O2 Ireland take on Admiral Wales in the Aviva Stadium in IMF Dublin next year...Nurse! Nurse!..its time for me meds!!

IMF Dublin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

It is more like the O2 Leprechauns V Admiral Dragons

Looking forward to the fixture now in the morning. Great to see POC make the starting XV after such a tough season for him with injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Wallabies by more than 7
    So, final numbers in the starting 15:

8 Welsh, 4 Irish, 3 English

In the 23:

10 Welsh, 8 English, 4 Irish, 1 Scottish

The Welsh are the current 6N champions, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Lions by less than 7
    Fireball07 wrote: »
    So, final numbers in the starting 15:

8 Welsh, 4 Irish, 3 English

In the 23:

10 Welsh, 8 English, 4 Irish, 1 Scottish

The Welsh are the current 6N champions, I suppose.

Grand slam, a six nations and a 4th place in the wc in the past two seasons. Probably more significantly, when the chips were down in winner takes all games they beat Ireland in the WC and England to with the six nations. Can't argue with that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »

Wallybees?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Wallabies by more than 7
    Just looking at their wingers. They really are big and powerful. They're lacking a bit of agility thou. Both love to get their hands on the ball. Ioane could do with more tries. He's been involved in alot of play this season but I reckon he needs more tries for the way he was playing. AAC has been hot and cold all season. Some games he's been brilliant, some games he just faded. I'm not convinced with JOC at outhalf. He's wasted there. He's not a 10. He takes the ball too much into direct contact rather than use the players outside him and control the game. He's offloading ability is top class.

The Lions will certainly target their scrum. Have to say if Pockock and higginbotham were fit, I would have backed Oz for the first test. Oz biggest weakness is their lack of depth. By the 3rd test, I would expect too many battered bodies to put up a decent fight.

People seem to forget the Oz have an unbelievable record at Suncorp stadium. It's an extremely difficult place to come away with a win. Great tactics for ARFU to hold the 1st game there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭WorldRugby99

Gambas wrote: »
    Grand slam, a six nations and a 4th place in the wc in the past two seasons. Probably more significantly, when the chips were down in winner takes all games they beat Ireland in the WC and England to with the six nations. Can't argue with that really.

on the other hand you could well argue they are inconsistent and havent beaten a team of real calibre- 8 losses in a row between six nations titles and no wins v nz,saf,aus for years. Question marks do still remain particularly when games get tight v the big SH teams-do they have the temperament,the mental strength and the quality?

With australia being lightweight at 10-12,im sure they will be very glad there will be no tuilagi running at them,and you wonder having seen cuthberts performances will they send runners his way to test him,his defense a possible weakness.Lions may have north,but minus bowe and tuilagi,you do wonder if lions backline has enough x factor to trouble the aussies.
    that said aussies not played since december-lions have to win this first game you feel or its series over as aussies will improve you suspect.i dont know who will win.aussies backline is class,but need parity up front.genia key man of series for me-his brilliance could win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Lions by less than 7
    I have gone Lions by more than 7 as I think they have a 9 point start on this game.

I'm happy with deans selection but I think it's going to take Australia a game or two to get rolling. History tells a recent story of poor starts to the Winter International season and I think that combined with the Lions ability to replace the forwards en-masse in the last quarter should see them home.

Gatland has done his best to even things up with poor selections IMHO, they could have a much better back row and bench to really put this first test out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I'm thinking the Lions 6-10 points purely based on their scrum possibly being stronger and having a guy who is in the form of his life off the tee. Leigh Halfpenny could be the winning of a Lions tour. I think we'll see a very physical and tight game but the Lions to work over Australia at the breakdown with more players who can make an impact there.

It's unpopular but I think we're going to see Warburton have a massive game. I don't think any one player is going to go out there wanting to prove a point more than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Buer wrote: »
    It's unpopular but I think we're going to see Warburton have a massive game. I don't think any one player is going to go out there wanting to prove a point more than him.

I don't think people dislike Warburton, but rather they don't see him as the form player. I certainly don't. I'd love for him to do an absolute number on the Aussies on Saturday, if he played all three games and played complete stormers, that would be great. He should be completely psyched for it too.

We all might disagree on certain players, but now that they're in, we don't want them to fail just to prove anyone right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Buer wrote: »

I don't think anyone wants him to have a bad game, I agree with you to a certain extent about the big game thing - it's clear to see he has been picked on the back of a hope and a prayer that he has a big game.

But what if he doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate

Just to be even more pedantic and because its an Aussie themed Lions series, it's Flip-Flops not sandals...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Just to be even more pedantic and because its an Aussie themed Lions series, it's Flip-Flops not sandals...

It's thongs actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Dan Lydiate
    Teferi wrote: »
    It's thongs actually!

Not where I come from, but a quick google search has proved you are in the right! Bravo Teferi.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I'm the same as the above on Warbs, on-form he is the player we need against the Aussies almost more than any other one player, I absolutely want him to have a stormer and I think we need him to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I do think there's an element of schadenfreude regarding Warburton. People generally want him to have a belter but there's a definite element, I think, that is waiting for him to screw up and hit "Submit" on their pre-typed "I told you so" post.

Advertisement