Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Suicide and men.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

they do think about what left behind, but only in the context that whats left behind is better off without them and them being gone stops all the hassle for others.

Very well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Shemale wrote: »
    Anyway this is way off topic now, my own view is the massive change in the role of the father in the last generation is a big factor in suicides of fathers now. Going way back to cavemen they went off hunting and the women raised the kids and all of a sudden in the last 20 years the men are expected to be heavily involved in rearing kids.

So it's all women's fault for men being involved in raising their own children is it? Too many bedtime stories being read is it?

The data says pretty much the opposite.

The highest rates of suicide are young men, unmarried, no children.

Having a spouse and children to look out for you, and to talk to, being part of a family reduces suicide risk, and generally lengthens men's lives.

Relationship breakdown increases risk.

I swear, I wish there was a caveman retreat somewhere, where you could send people who thought like this, to see how they would get on in the wild. Nothing like a bit of stress and starvation to focus the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

pwurple wrote: »

The data says pretty much the opposite.

The highest rates of suicide are young men, unmarried, no children.

No it doesn't actually ....

Picture3.png

Precipitating-Factors-in-the-Month-Prior-to-Suicide.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

professore wrote: »
    No it doesn't actually ....

Picture3.png

Precipitating-Factors-in-the-Month-Prior-to-Suicide.jpg

Your graph just proves that those under 34 make up the majority, what's your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

pilly wrote: »
    Your graph just proves that those under 34 make up the majority, what's your point?

It clearly shows that the suicide rate is pretty constant between 25 and 54, with lower rates either side. If it was young mainly unmarried males the 15-24 bar should be highest and then there should be a steep dropoff, which there isn't. This perception might be because there is much more publicity when someone in the 15-24 bracket kills themselves.

I don't think it's right to assume that if a man is a bit older and married with children then everything is grand. This tends to be the hardest part of a man's life, especially if he's the sole breadwinner.

Interestingly for women there is a clear peak in the 55-64 age bracket, where there is a drop for men in the same category.
    Huge variations also exist between different age groups and perhaps somewhat wrongly men in their late teens and early twenties are often identified as being most at risk. While rates are very high amongst men between the ages of 20 and 29, they are routinely exceeded by men in their middle age, particularly over recent years. In every year from 2010 to 2013, the highest rate of suicide was recorded among men in the age bracket of 45 to 49.

https://www.rte.ie/news/investigations-unit/2015/0309/685748-suicide-the-figures/

[EDIT : Reading back through here I see there is some kind of flame war going on. I am only interested in pointing out what the stats actually say on suicide rather than talk about caveman attitudes etc. That's all. ]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Its not right to focus on blame, irrespective of why, we need to focus on help and prevention.

People need to be aware that there are loved and are wanted and that no mater what, we can try to sort it out, and that the world is not a better place without them.

It a matter of listening and understanding, people contemplating self harm are not in the right place for rational thought, they need to be helped to a safe mindset and then help the problem.

Its not a blame game.

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭MickDoyle1979

I recommend the Stoic philosophy.

Accepting your situation. Identifying why you are this way and not some other way. Finding a solution is possible or accepting things as they are if you can't. Regreting nothing and trying to be optimistic about the present and the future in the face of tragedy and hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

Men are four times more likely to die by suicide than women and the highest risk group is among those aged 45-54, researchers have found.

Certain groups are more vulnerable including gay men, farmers, unemployed or people living in rural isolation.

The report from Men's Health Forum in Ireland and the HSE was launched by former Republic of Ireland international Jason McAteer.

Continues at:
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/men-four-times-more-likely-to-die-by-suicide-than-women-36710994.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

iptba wrote: »
    In the current social climate, it’s a great idea. These are 84 people!

As Verne Troyer dies aged 49, why we need to take male depression and suicide extremely seriously

http://metro.co.uk/2018/04/21/verne-troyer-dies-aged-49-need-take-male-depression-suicide-extremely-seriously-7486750/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,241 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just checking , has anyone else received vile PMs from A Maggie Fehily?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

ted1 wrote: »
    Just checking , has anyone else received vile PMs from A Maggie Fehily?

Yes me. Saying I am an African shi* (i am South American she clearly doesn't know the difference) and racist insults hoping someone in my family dies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They've been nuked from the site. And good riddance.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

10 Surprising Facts About Men's Mental Health

Today is World Mental Health Day (Wednesday 10th October 2018) and to mark the day we've produced a list of 10 surprising facts about men and boys' mental health, some of which you may not know.

If you share our commitment to creating a healthier future for men and boys then we invite you to share this information with others. We'd also love to hear from you about any news, research, information, events or programs focused on men’s mental health that you think we should be promoting.

https://www.amhf.org.au/10_surprising_facts_about_men_s_mental_health

https://www.cardiffstudents.com/your-voice/campaigns/alrightmate/
    The ‘Alright Mate?’ campaign - launching on International Men’s day - is a response to the alarmingly high rate of male suicide in the UK. Suicide is the biggest killer of UK men under 45, and in Great Britain alone, an average of 84 men take their own life per week.

The AlrightMate campaign aims to:
    Raise awareness and start important discussion around this topic
    Improve visibility and access to support services
    Break down the stigma people may face for opening up about their emotional wellbeing
    Encourage every Cardiff University student regardless of gender or identity that they are entitled to support, and that speaking up and speaking out about mental health is a STRENGTH, and NOT a weakness.

For help and support you can click here to see all the services available to you. You can also check out the intranet for more information.
    Warning: the following video contains some sensitive content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

I've been suicidal myself and did encounter the "harsh/tough love" attitudes (which don't help at all in fairness) expressed in the thread in real life.

My dad was like the first poster but did it in an insiduous way. My guidance counsellor was less so, though he kind of made things worse. Remember coming to him when repeating 5th year and he said "I had students who heard their mothers were being beaten nearly every day and they didn't want to kill themselves".

So much for support. I don't know how that helps. Even if someone else has it worse, the fact is you still come back to your life and your problems. I'm from a third world country as one of these people says to visit and live there. I've gone on long breaks, came back, and only felt "better" for a few days. The Still suicidal but want to repeat and go to college.

https://www.jwatch.org/fw115754/2019/08/27/va-offers-suicide-prevention-guidelines-face-climbing
    Current guidelines on suicide prevention from the Department of Veterans Affairs are "as good as one will now find," but "unlikely to dramatically reduce the burden of veteran suicide," according to separate commentaries in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
    I thought this was interesting:
    An editorialist, while praising the guidelines criticizes the underlying evidence, pointing out, for instance, that while trials of psychotherapy include mostly women, almost 80% of suicides are men. In addition, drug trials are often industry-sponsored. He invites the system "to ask questions and conduct research that we in the United States have avoided thus far."

I saw this today:
    The annual report for 2018 for the HSE’s National Office for Suicide Prevention has just been published. There were 352 suicides in the year, down 40 on the previous year. 282 were male, 70 were female. The full report may be read here https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4/mental-health-services/connecting-for-life/news/nosp-annual-report-2018.pdf

A US study so I'm not sure how relevant it is to Ireland:

https://www.jwatch.org/fw116219/2020/01/08/higher-minimum-wage-tied-lower-suicide-risk
    Higher Minimum Wage Tied to Lower Suicide Risk

By Amy Orciari Herman

Edited by David G. Fairchild, MD, MPH, and Lorenzo Di Francesco, MD, FACP, FHM

Adults living in states with higher minimum wages might face lower risk for suicide, according to a study in the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

U.S. researchers examined data on state minimum wages and suicide rates from 1990 through 2015. They estimated that among adults aged 18 to 64 with a high school diploma or less, each $1 increase in the minimum wage was associated with a 3.5% reduction in suicide risk. The association between higher minimum wage and lower risk was strongest when unemployment was high. No such association was seen among people with college degrees.

The researchers note: "Our findings are consistent with the notion that policies designed to improve the livelihoods of individuals with less education, who are more likely to work at lower wages and at higher risk for adverse mental health outcomes, can reduce the suicide risk in this group."

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hardly seems surprising that areas with lower levels of poverty experience lower suicide rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭worded

Ted talk on depression. 1 in 8 NZ on meds if I heard right.

https://youtu.be/3dqXHHCc5lA

Suicide, soneones permanent Sollution to a temporary problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I most likely will die via own hands in 30 years when i am in 50's. I cannot guarantee that though as who knows what pills will be on the market at that time. As things stand i only intend to live for as long as parents live as it would be a cruel thing to die whilst they are alive. I don't have the mental strength, personality or skills to survive in this world. Just think about it logically, I will be in my 50s, all alone and broken by the world and still faced with another 10-15 years of work, why should i have to suffer through that? I can understand why it would be wrong for a man with children to kill themselves but why would it be wrong for a loner? The funny thing is the neighbours will probably say "It was a rash decision" yet I would have had it planned for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i hope you look back at this post when you are in your fifty's with a partner and maybe surrounded with your own kids and happy and think what was i saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I most likely will die via own hands in 30 years when i am in 50's. I cannot guarantee that though as who knows what pills will be on the market at that time. As things stand i only intend to live for as long as parents live as it would be a cruel thing to die whilst they are alive. I don't have the mental strength, personality or skills to survive in this world. Just think about it logically, I will be in my 50s, all alone and broken by the world and still faced with another 10-15 years of work, why should i have to suffer through that? I can understand why it would be wrong for a man with children to kill themselves but why would it be wrong for a loner? The funny thing is the neighbours will probably say "It was a rash decision" yet I would have had it planned for 30 years.

If you are now only in your twenties and don't want to work after 55 then you have 30 years to plan for your retirement at 55. If you stay single with no kids then max out on contributions into a pension plan, there would be no reason you could not retire at 55 financially secure for another 30 years to enjoy life. You have all the time you need to put that plan in place and secure your financial future.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Your outlook on life changes significantly as you get older. The me in my 20's 20 years ago is a completely different animal to the me in my mid 40's.
    My teens and 20s were a rough time for me. I had little confidence and a very poor self image along with a tendency towards depression.
    20 years on I am still the same me but without the confidence issues and the self image issues as tbh I stopped giving a crap what other people thought about me. The depression still comes and goes but I am better able to deal with it now by keeping busy etc.
    I wish I could talk to my teenage self and give some advise.

Advertisement