Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide and men.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ok. i will try to keep this short.
    I bit the bullet and went back to gp 3/4 weeks ago.
    I asked about confidentiality and showed gp my burns which were quite severe. I also took to stubbing every cig out on my arms legs belly.
    tablets increased to 80mg prozac (4 tabs) Xanax also increased. Gp suggested it might be of benifit if i spoke to someone, gp said that no ones mental health could not be affected by whats going on in my life at the moment. I will bear it in mind.
    Constant yawning, nausea, very decreased libido, inability to "finish" even after an hour (yes an hour) still procrastinating particularly with revenue and tomorrow is last day for 14 returns.
    Discovered that xanax wernt working because of cigarettes.

Ive lost a lot of clients over the last few weeks, When your sick and self employed your fcukd

I had to deal with family problem yesterday which involved guards, extended family,hospital, dr(s) etc, very trying

Im not ...... fully copus mentus.

but im a bit better than i was

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,206 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sounds like your GP listened to you. Good to have that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Klopp

I watched the documentary called Ironmind on RTE2, a documentary by Niall Breslin on mental health. I found it so powerful and emotional to watch. I don't think Niall Breslin gets enough praise for mental health and what he has done now and is doing, what he did for those 4 people was unbelievable and inspiring.

got a phone call from hospital today. coronary heart disease.

when will it stop.

i feel like im in a reality tv show and the audience are shouting "throw more at him.... watch him break"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

Hang in there, man. :-)

I am reading a good book at the moment. I have read it before, and it helped me, and so reading it again as I think I need it again. Its called "Mans Search For Meaning" by Viktor Frankl. Its short (<200 pages) and not as high-brow as its title sounds. Its written by a survivor of the WW2 concentration camps, and how he found a way to see the beauty in life even while they were trying to kill him. As he says "he who has a 'why' can endure almost any 'how' "

Give it a try, you never know ....

• Advertisement

How is it going today?

Meds still transitioning.

walking on a knife edge. And its christmas.

Heard a great song on radio today ..... actually, its only an average song, but the title is great "Above the grey, its blue". Nice thought.

I have had hard times, and dark days (my wife calls it an attack of the "black-dog"), so in those times I just take it one day at a time, and dont think past today . It works for me.

Hope your dogs go easy on you over Crimbo.

Hang in there ......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭getaroom

Whats the story of the missing men that have been in the papers over the last few days?
    "gardai looking for "x" missing since thursday drives blue corolla aged 50.

Thats a lot of men just disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

getaroom wrote: »
    Whats the story of the missing men that have been in the papers over the last few days?
    "gardai looking for "x" missing since thursday drives blue corolla aged 50.

Thats a lot of men just disappearing.

It's the time of year that a lot of stress sticks it's head out.
    The expectations on people at this time of year can be enormous. You're expected to be happy, you're expected to attend that party, you're expected to be able to provide what's on Santas list. You're broke and you can't meet any of those expectations.. Add in the fact that it's mid-winter, with the longest nights and shortest hours of daylight, it's gloomy, wet and miserable..
    If someone is going to crack then the Christmas period creates almost the perfect storm year in year out..

• Advertisement

This time of year sure is hard on a LOT of people. Folk whom you think would sail through, the life-and-soul of the party types .... Keep an eye on each other folks, sometimes you dont know what your best buddy / neighbour are going through until its too late.

There sure does seem to be a lot of missing people in this country. I joined a Facebook page for missing people. Thought the page was great idea. They stick up a pic of the person and a description, and then all of Ireland can keep an eye out. Thats just what the internet & social media do very well. Thankfully most are found very quickly. But it was eye-openeing to see how many go missing every week / month. The papers only report a fraction of it. Its frightening really. But it does seem to be a lot of men of a certain age that are going missing at this time of year.

Thought For The Day:
    "When you are going through hell ..... keep going!" Michael Caine

I joined a Facebook page for missing people. Thought the page was great idea. They stick up a pic of the person and a description, and then all of Ireland can keep an eye out.

I checked out the facebook page. The amount of "found - RIP", is thought provoking to say the least.

only a couple of days left before people start to calm down, and I may not be on here for a few more days after that .... could be visiting in-laws etc .... so just want to wish everyone a good Christmas .... and as Frasier Crane says "wishing you good mental health!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm seriously considering skipping xmas in ireland next year. I've been away for half a decade and I'm finding it really difficult being back. It just feels like everyone acting like complete lunatics and if I don't rise to their level then I'm the prick.

The shops are closed for a couple of ****ing days and people shoping are acting like there's a hurricane coming. Christmas to me is like a storm compared to when I was a child.

One friend of mine is having a mini meltdown cause he wants to return the hover board but his daughter is having a massive fight with him over it.

Xmas is such bull**** now. Happy ****ing hystericus festivus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

catbear wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering skipping xmas in ireland next year. I've been away for half a decade and I'm finding it really difficult being back. It just feels like everyone acting like complete lunatics and if I don't rise to their level then I'm the prick.

Just ignore the hysteria and do your own thing. There is no need to get caught up in it. I find people who 'must have' a certain item for Christmas are best left alone in general and particularly at Christmas.

My total Christmas shopping was an hour this afternoon (Stephens Green Centre - busy but not manic) and 2 hours in last week getting the kid something (coffee break included in this time). Other than that we are just looking forward to doing as little as possible for a few days.

Just stick on a movie and tune out all the loonies ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

THanks for the sensible words but unfortunately we're hosting the mother in law this year and I am dreading it. She's a nutjob catholic who thinks all the sex abuse stuff is just a media invention etc....

The last few years abroad have been bliss without that nonsense. Now it just feels like something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

Thankfully she's arriving at dinner so I can pretend to have attended church just to keep the peace. If it gets too bloody aweful after dinner I'll be going on an extremely long walk to work off the angst.

well, we are on turkey-sandwiches at this stage...... so, how is it going for everyone?

well, we are on turkey-sandwiches at this stage...... so, how is it going for everyone?
    Really Really would love to tell you, but I keep getting messages to contact console etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cattolico

ok. i will try to keep this short.
    I bit the bullet and went back to gp 3/4 weeks ago.
    I asked about confidentiality and showed gp my burns which were quite severe. I also took to stubbing every cig out on my arms legs belly.
    tablets increased to 80mg prozac (4 tabs) Xanax also increased. Gp suggested it might be of benifit if i spoke to someone, gp said that no ones mental health could not be affected by whats going on in my life at the moment. I will bear it in mind.
    Constant yawning, nausea, very decreased libido, inability to "finish" even after an hour (yes an hour) still procrastinating particularly with revenue and tomorrow is last day for 14 returns.
    Discovered that xanax wernt working because of cigarettes.

Ive lost a lot of clients over the last few weeks, When your sick and self employed your fcukd

I had to deal with family problem yesterday which involved guards, extended family,hospital, dr(s) etc, very trying

Im not ...... fully copus mentus.

but im a bit better than i was

Don't ever feel you are alone. Just reach out and there is always someone there to help.

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Sometimes the tunnel is so deep and dark there is no one to reach out to.
    In the old days you went to the priest. These days there are g p s, therapists, psychoanalysts,
    Councillors, ner do wells and your own paranoia. I tried reaching out on this thread but had to close the account.

Im not ashamed to say that I did some painful things over the holiday period for which Im now paying a price.

Thanks for your concern. I "reach out" in the anx., depression forum. The mods are less inclined to tell me to seek help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cattolico

Thanks.
    Sometimes the tunnel is so deep and dark there is no one to reach out to.
    In the old days you went to the priest. These days there are g p s, therapists, psychoanalysts,
    Councillors, ner do wells and your own paranoia. I tried reaching out on this thread but had to close the account.

Im not ashamed to say that I did some painful things over the holiday period for which Im now paying a price.

Thanks for your concern. I "reach out" in the anx., depression forum. The mods are less inclined to tell me to seek help.

Take a moment to sit down and think about your problems. It would be better to talk directly to a person. Really you would be surprised by how much help you can get from someone. I was a seminarian for 9 years, I didn't become a priest, but I care for everyone, no matter what they have done (and some have done a lot). Draw a line in the sand and walk forward changing what you don't like. There are lots of people who are not biased and will help you. Never feel alone.

I could give you a more spiritual dimension to your problems, but not everyone is religious. I suppose I will tell you that I would get in my car and drive ANYWHERE in Ireland to help ANYONE who needs it. I would spend anything to avoid the pain of suicide. So please just take a moment to look for help. Its there.

tonight is a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

getaroom wrote:
    tonight is a bad one.

Sorry to hear that. Anything you can do to ease it? Netflix, YouTube...

tellys over.

ive never been so lonely.

Please Pawned rig dont tell me to contact console etc. have you any idea how soul destroying that is#????????

loggin out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

getaroom wrote: »
    tellys over.

ive never been so lonely.

Please Pawned rig dont tell me to contact console etc. have you any idea how soul destroying that is#????????

The reason we have in the past directed you to these resources is because they are much better equipped to provide the assistance you need at the difficult times than we are. They deal with people in similar situations to you on a daily basis and know what they are talking about. You are quite welcome to post here too but advice that is given here (while well meaning) is not necessarily what is good for you.
    No disrespect was intended when directing you to those resources but it is the way that we have been advised to respond to people with issues like yours from professionals in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭sixfingered

Good luck to anyone feeling the strain at the moment - good luck to you all.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The reason we have in the past directed you to these resources is because they are much better equipped to provide the assistance you need at the difficult times than we are. They deal with people in similar situations to you on a daily basis and know what they are talking about. You are quite welcome to post here too but advice that is given here (while well meaning) is not necessarily what is good for you.
    No disrespect was intended when directing you to those resources but it is the way that we have been advised to respond to people with issues like yours from professionals in the area.

When I originally contacted this forum, it was not for advice, it was to vent.
    When ones spirit and mind is in disarray it helps to communicate with like minded souls as a means of that your not alone or that others are going through what your going through at a particular time. If you look at my previous posts you will note that I already see a GP and a therapist. I have already looked at all the resources available. They are not suitable to me.
    The only alternative to pacing the garden chainsmoking with irrational thoughts is Boards, I presumed that the Forum title "Suicide and Men" was such an outlet. Correct me please if Im wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thread closed pending moderator review.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement