Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brumbies vs Lions, Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

This pundits line up is going to be annoying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

Sky still talking about Faletau being involved. Also saying that Lydiate will start if it rains? Madness. No way in hell is Faletau going to start now after playing a full 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

A few guys with bench aspirations really did themselves no good at all today. Best was obviously terrible, thought Youngs passing was awful.

Gray was disappointing, Barritt was completely anonymous, Twelvetrees & Wade were out of there depth.

SOB & Tipuric were solid as was Kearney. Murray & Zebo did well off the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

The replacement front row didn't do themselves any harm either.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

My test team
    Mako
    Hibbard
    Jones
    AWJ
    POC
    Croft
    Tipuric
    Heaslip
    Philips
    Sexton
    North /Zebo
    Davies
    BOD
    Cuthburt
    Halfpenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I thought the pundits had it pretty right.

I don't think Faletau should start and I would be very surprised if he does after 80 minutes tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Think they went too Welsh heavy on the 50/50 calls, i.e Faletau, Hibbard etc. Don't know if North will be fit imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Anyone else have a feeling Bowe might make Saturday if no North?

What I expect test team to be

1. Vunipola
    2. Hibbard
    3. Jones
    4. AWJ
    5. POC
    6. Croft
    7. Warburton
    8. Heaslip
    9. Phillips
    10. Sexton
    11. Halfpenny (Doubt North be fit)
    12. Davies
    13. BOD
    14. Maitland (i'd have him no-where neat test team, Zebo is much better)
    15. Kearney

Bench
    2 props
    Tom Youngs
    Parling
    SOB
    Murray
    Farrell
    Zebo

preddy wrote: »

I'd be shocked tbh. Think he could make 3rd test if needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

preddy wrote: »

No, pretty sure Bowe ruled himself out today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

If today showed us one thing it's that Tipuric/Heaslip/SOB won't work as a unit. Need a Lydiate or Warburton in there, especially if Jones starts at 3

• Administrators Posts: 53,543 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

HigginsJ wrote: »
    What I expect test team to be

1. Vunipola
    2. Hibbard
    3. Jones
    4. AWJ
    5. POC
    6. Croft
    7. Warburton
    8. Heaslip
    9. Phillips
    10. Sexton
    11. Halfpenny (Doubt North be fit)
    12. Davies
    13. BOD
    14. Maitland (i'd have him no-where neat test team, Zebo is much better)
    15. Kearney

Bench
    2 props
    Tom Youngs
    Parling
    SOB
    Murray
    Farrell
    Zebo

There is no way I would start Halfpenny on the wing. Halfpenny has excelled at full back, he is absolutely nailed on to start at 15 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

awec wrote: »
    There is no way I would start Halfpenny on the wing. Halfpenny has excelled at full back, he is absolutely nailed on to start at 15 for me.

Absolutely. Why would any coach in his right mind mess with one of the clear successess of this tour so far?

If both are required, I think it would work better with Kearney at FB & 1/2P on the wing.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    If both are required, I think it would work better with Kearney at FB & 1/2P on the wing.

Don't think both are required. Halfpenny has nailed on the 15 position, he has been one of the best players of the tour so far.

Rob Kearney will bench at best IMO. His lack of versatility may not be as important as Halfpenny can always move to the wing late on in the game, but Halfpenny starts at full back for me without question.

Honestly wouldnt be surprised to see Halfpenny on the wing. If North and Bowe are out then the only established winger available is Cuthbert, and even he hasn't had an error free tour. So who else is a safe pair of hands? Maitland? I'm a fan but he's been caught out defensively. Hogg? No way. Zebo? Maybe, untested. I'd put Halfpenny on the wing with Cuthbert and move Kearney into FB.

We should be praying for either North or Bowe.

People seem to think that it's more important that Halfpenny starts at 15 than it is to make sure we have the strongest possible wings on the field. It won't matter who we have at 15 if our wings leak space.

For me, a back three of 11. Cuthbert, 14. Halfpenny, 15. Kearney is FAR more safe than 11. Cuthbert, 14. Maitland. 15. Halfpenny

Nothing against Maitland, but he's been a bit suspect defensively on tour.

• Advertisement

I have all crossable body parts crossed for George North.

North/Halfpenny/Zebo is a lovely balanced back three imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

matTNT wrote: »
    Fixed. IMHO.

Croft will start.

trouttrout wrote: »
    North/Halfpenny/Zebo is a lovely balanced back three imo

Yep. I reckon had Zebo started the tour he'd be on the test side. As it is, we haven't seen enough of him, and I can't see him gettin near the team if North is not injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

.ak wrote: »
    Yep. I reckon had Zebo started the tour he'd be on the test side. As it is, we haven't seen enough of him, and I can't see him gettin near the team if North is not injured.

I thought he injected pace and purpose today but that was such a dreadful three quarter line to start almost anyone would have shown up well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

I have all crossable body parts crossed for George North.

I don't, that sounds bad but I hope Zebo takes his place, otherwise I fear we will be stuck with Cuthbert and a half fit North for the entire series, I hope Zebo has a cracker and a fully fit North returns for the second and third tests with Zebo and they're the wings that could win a tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

matTNT wrote: »
    I don't, that sounds bad but I hope Zebo takes his place, otherwise I fear we will be stuck with Cuthbert and a half fit North for the entire series, I hope Zebo has a cracker and a fully fit North returns for the second and third tests with Zebo and they're the wings that could win a tour.

I'd be fairly sure that, if fit which is looking likely, North and Bowe will take their places for the final two tests unless someone does something special this weekend. Bowe already indicated today that he'll be in full training starting next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

That team was closer to the British and Irish Barbarians than the Lions

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

First Up wrote: »
    I thought he injected pace and purpose today but that was such a dreadful three quarter line to start almost anyone would have shown up well.

He didn't get many opportunities in the time he came on but botched one move by taking it into contact and getting swallowed up when he had men outside him. Like Murray I'm not sure that on balance he added to his stock today either.

• Advertisement

Gambas wrote: »
    He didn't get many opportunities in the time he came on but botched one move by taking it into contact and getting swallowed up when he had men outside him. Like Murray I'm not sure that on balance he added to his stock today either.

Going on the balance of play, both Zebo and Murray improved their prospects

Murray's delivery was top notch and got the Lions on the front foot for the first time in the game. Made one top notch clearing kick and made a good break too. His kick at the end was a bad decision and going without support probably wasn't wise but on the balance of play he did a lot more good than bad. Plus he has nothing to lose considering he's been unfairly ruled out of the 23 by virtually every pundit despite being the best performing nine on tour imo

Same for Zebo, didn't get much ball but made one half break. The situation where he took the contact he certainly didn't have men outside him, Brumbies just targeted that ruck (which Zebo spotted and extended his ball placement well as a result) but didn't turn it over in the end

Advertisement