Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera + 18-55mm DC Lens (Refurb) - €220 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FitzS

Also managed to get one of there refurbished units this week ..ordered Monday, arrived this morning via parcel motel - unpacked, charged battery, but its not working. Showing ERR 20. Sent off email via ebay to Canon_UK1, but just got standard reply saying they would be in contact within 24 hours - did some more searching and got contact number for them which is here in Limerick. Phoned them and was put through to Canon Service Centre (I think in the UK) - this error code is a mechanical fault and they said to return to Canon Service Outlet - none here in Ireland who service cameras so it has to back to UK. Bummer.... Would have assumed that a refurbished unit would have been properly checked - this was faulty out of the box. Seems to be third one this week from reading recent posts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

FitzS wrote: »
    Also managed to get one of there refurbished units this week ..ordered Monday, arrived this morning via parcel motel - unpacked, charged battery, but its not working. Showing ERR 20. Sent off email via ebay to Canon_UK1, but just got standard reply saying they would be in contact within 24 hours - did some more searching and got contact number for them which is here in Limerick. Phoned them and was put through to Canon Service Centre (I think in the UK) - this error code is a mechanical fault and they said to return to Canon Service Outlet - none here in Ireland who service cameras so it has to back to UK. Bummer.... Would have assumed that a refurbished unit would have been properly checked - this was faulty out of the box. Seems to be third one this week from reading recent posts.....

There is a place in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FitzS

Thanks ....will check it out Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭gar

FitzS wrote: »
    Thanks ....will check it out Monday.

http://www.canon.ie/Support/consumer_products/services_locator/index.aspx

Think they are called iss

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Malahide Estuary with the 75-300 Lens

2uct.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Nice one Inquitus!

I see you shot at ISO 100 (from metadata).. am wondering where a higher ISO been a better shout - see here!

But keep messing around with it.. I've played around with settings and took the same shot at different ISO's etc - just to get a feeling for it.

Few more purchases last night:

Picked up the AmazonBasics DSLR Camera Case found by lindtee earlier in the thread - very good reviews on Amazon and there's a great in-depth video review on the US site here (first review). Will fit the camera with a lens attached and a few accessories in the pouch. Grand for me.. and if I need to upgrade, I'll do that - but it's only a tenner don't want to go much bigger than that at the moment as I don't want to go down the bag / rucksack route just yet.

AmazonBasics-Holster-Front-.jpg

Because there's unlikely to be enough room in my bag for my second lens - said I'd pick up a little pouch for it so this was about €2.50 delivered.

$T2eC16VHJG!E9nm3p32QBQN,HzLK3w~~60_12.JPG

Picked up a basic enough but well reviewed tripod Hama Star 61 with Carry Case for under €15.

00004161abb.jpg

Also took tatranska's advice and picked up a Hama Coated UV Filter.

376997.jpg

Was all set to get a spare battery but went out of stock from Amazon direct! :( Will keep an eye as I'm sure it'll come back in. Also keeping an eye on the Hama Lens Pen for my next order from Amazon.

Oh, and girlfriend had a $5 voucher for DX expiring at end of month so she said she wouldn't use it.. so picked up this for €5.50. Gimmicky? hell yes!

sku_51995_1.jpg

It's a coffee mug by the way! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I had an old Camera case that was my dad's from eons ago, with an old 35mm Olympus and a few lens, some silica in it too to keep the lens fungus at bay! Just enough room for the new Camera!

Think I need to get a Tripod next, hard to keep the Camera stable when zoomed in to 300mm.

My attempt at catching some urban decay!

iyk6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Basq please stop posting these accessories for the 1100D. My bank account can't take much more of it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Basq wrote: »
    Nice one Inquitus!

I see you shot at ISO 100 (from metadata).. am wondering where a higher ISO been a better shout - see here!

But keep messing around with it.. I've played around with settings and took the same shot at different ISO's etc - just to get a feeling for it.

Picked up the AmazonBasics DSLR Camera Case found by lindtee earlier in the thread - very good reviews on Amazon and there's a great in-depth video review on the US site here (first review). Will fit the camera with a lens attached and a few accessories in the pouch. Grand for me.. and if I need to upgrade, I'll do that - but it's only a tenner don't want to go much bigger than that at the moment as I don't want to go down the bag / rucksack route just yet.

Because there's unlikely to be enough room in my bag for my second lens - said I'd pick up a little pouch for it so this was about €2.50 delivered.

Picked up a basic enough but well reviewed tripod Hama Star 61 with Carry Case for under €15.

00004161abb.jpg

376997.jpg

Was all set to get a spare battery but went out of stock from Amazon direct! :( Will keep an eye as I'm sure it'll come back in. Also keeping an eye on the Hama Lens Pen for my next order from Amazon.

Oh, and girlfriend had a $5 voucher for DX expiring at end of month so she said she wouldn't use it.. so picked up this for €5.50. Gimmicky? hell yes!

sku_51995_1.jpg

I have the same tripod a few years. works well.

its worth picking up a backpack type bag for your kit.
    don't get a small case or you risk your lens falling out.

Just picked up a Nifty-Fifty lens from Flubit (Thanks Basq). Also picked up the Hama lens, a decent 45Mb/s SD Card as well as a different type case to the Amazon basics. Also ordered a few things from DX. Think my next purchase will be the Tripod mentioned above. Great ratings on it.

• Advertisement

DubDJ wrote: »
    Just picked up a Nifty-Fifty lens from Flubit (Thanks Basq). Also picked up the Hama lens, a decent 45Mb/s SD Card as well as a different type case to the Amazon basics. Also ordered a few things from DX. Think my next purchase will be the Tripod mentioned above. Great ratings on it.

how much was the lens from Flubit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Nice one Inquitus!

00004161abb.jpg

376997.jpg

sku_51995_1.jpg

Ive now ordered the tripod, 16GB card with 45MB speed, Lowe Pro backpack, Hama lens covers * 2, Lens cleaner and blower from DX as look the same as Hama one, Jianisi Digital SLR Remote for Canon and a spare battery. Camera is charging away now.Can you please ban me from this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭tdow

I'm starting to question if this thread should be in the ba forum. Just placed an order for the nifty fifty lens with some filters. Also have a few books and Sd cards on the way. :-\

how much was the lens from Flubit

Got it for around €83. Almost the same as Basq, plus I still have one free Parcel Motel. Decent price compared to anything else I could find.

Basq should do the honours and create a new 'Canon EOS 1100D Owners' thread over on the photography forum. Plenty of us here to keep that going. Although I think there's been plenty of Bargain Alert based posts in this thread.

its worth picking up a backpack type bag for your kit.
    don't get a small case or you risk your lens falling out.
    The video for the Amazon DSLR is well worth watching.. the camera fits in with one lens attached (as below):

79L7Jq.png

There's room in the three pouches for a few accessories but not a spare lens, so no risk of a lens falling out.

The reason I didn't go for anything bigger is am going to Malta in early August so want a case that will easily sit in another bigger case for hand luggage. You know what Aer Lingus are like.. "small camera bag / rucksack? That's your hand luggage!".

And it was only a tenner. Will keep an eye out for a slightly larger bag / rucksack in the meantime.. but no rush til after the hols.

PS - good to see so many people picking up bits and pieces.. think I may have started an epedemic alright. Outside of what I've picked up so far, a spare battery is probably all I'll pick up in the next few weeks.

The video for the Amazon DSLR is well worth watching.. the camera fits in with one lens attached (as below):

79L7Jq.png

There's room in the three pouches for a few accessories but not a spare lens, so no risk of a lens falling out.

The reason I didn't go for anything bigger is am going to Malta in early August so want a case that will easily sit in another bigger case for hand luggage. You know what Aer Lingus are like.. "small camera bag / rucksack? That's your hand luggage!".

And it was only a tenner. Will keep an eye out for a slightly larger bag / rucksack in the meantime.. but no rush til after the hols.

PS - good to see so many people picking up bits and pieces.. think I may have started an epedemic alright. Outside of what I've picked up so far, a spare battery is probably all I'll pick up in the next few weeks.
    never had any problems with AL and extra bags.

check out my udemy post for online tutorials for $10

Just ordered the tripod, but to get free delivery added a decent lens hood and microfibre cleaning cloth by Hama.

Started off as a bargain but all these accessories are bringing the price up. All optional of course, only thing any of us needed to buy was an SD card. I've certainly went too far with accessories but that's me done for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

MUST...RESIST....URGE...TO....BUY....MORE....CAMERA....GEAR...

Feck it.... except for that coffee cup... I'm definitely getting that.

And I could always try Flubit for the first time and get that lens.

And I do kinda need a camera bag....

This was exactly my train of thought today :D

"I could use one of those",
    "Thats too cheap I can't not buy it",
    "I don't even know what this is but i'm going to buy one anyway" :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Can anyone tell me if this Canon is better than the Nikon 3100?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CH3OH

260404.jpg

260403.jpg

This might be of interest if you can find one in a Tesco. There were 2 in Arklow located in the reduced section in the birthday party aisle
    Reduced to € 16
    including
    case
    8 Gb card
    Small Tripod
    Air Bottle
    Lens Brush
    3 cleaning cloths
    Lens Cleaning fluid

loremolis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if this Canon is better than the Nikon 3100?

Going purely on specs the D3100 seems to be slightly better. Full 1080p video, higher megapixels, higher ISO. However price wise the Canon is better as its refurbished your saving around €150 compared to buying new in-store. I'm no expert but that's what I got from a quick Google search. Both are the entry level for beginners for any novice starting out.

Going purely on specs the D3100 seems to be slightly better. Full 1080p video, higher megapixels, higher ISO. However price wise the Canon is better as its refurbished your saving around €150 compared to buying new in-store. I'm no expert but that's what I got from a quick Google search. Both are the entry level for beginners for any novice starting out.

both are starter models. its down to preference

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

It's very close alright. D3100 has the edge (slightly) on paper.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-1100D-vs-Nikon_D3100

Worth noting that the Nikon 50mm f1.8 costs twice as much as the Canon version, it is a better lens, but if overall budget is a concern the Canon comes out on top.

Both are entry level but I wouldn't say it's down to preference. Both cameras aren't the same specs or price so I'd say it's down to budget v slightly better specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonna watch for more of these, just what I need atm.

ED E wrote: »
    Gonna watch for more of these, just what I need atm.

got my 600d today. need to find time to play with it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Yahoo! Got my 1100D today. Been meaning to get an SLR for ages & what a great deal. I bought the £200 one & hadn't expected the extra zoom lense so it was a nice surprise. Bag ordered from Amazon too.

Just need to figure out how to use the damn thing now!

• Advertisement

Bit of messing with a rejected photo from last week..

6LSSLu.jpg

.. not perfect (should have softened the edges a little more) but slowly learning!

Advertisement