Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera + 18-55mm DC Lens (Refurb) - €220 delivered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Anyone recommend a case/bag for this camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

jamesd wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a case/bag for this camera?

+1 to that. I seen the one posted earlier in the thread, but any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

For anyone interested in quality of the photos.. am putting together a portfolio website (still early days yet.. no logo etc.) but there's about 10 - 11 photos up there.

Brian Basquille Photography

Am hardly using it to it's full potential yet but took about 50 photos over 10 - 15 minutes walking around the house before dinner, and got a few decent shots. I'll get more selective in time but that's what I kept out of those 50 or so.

Particularly like the spider-web shot:

5adLT2.jpg

Really great shots Basq and absolutely love the website design. Is that a template you used or from your own design?

Didn't expect the shots to look that good tbh. Is this your first time at photography? Also are you using just the standard lens or is it the one you bought via Flubit?

DubDJ wrote: »
    Really great shots Basq and absolutely love the website design. Is that a template you used or from your own design?
    Thanks DubDJ. It's a Wordpress theme... I do web-design but am first and foremost a Wordpress fiend, and it's a theme called TheAgency (doing lots of modifications to it though.. the theme is more for a portfolio and not single shots but I'm proficient in PHP so it's a mixture of theme and custom work).
    Is this your first time at photography?
    Yep.. first time at it. These were all taken using the AV (Aperture priority) setting, so aperture is chosen by myself but shutter speed is chosen by the camera... yeah, think that's it. Still trying to finish 'Understanding Exposure' but think that's the gist of it, though I'm open to correction.
    Also are you using just the standard lens or is it the one you bought via Flubit?
    Nope, this is the standard 18-55mm lens kit supplied with the camera actually.

Am expecting the 50mm tomorrow.. but the lens kits is more than capable of getting some good shots.

• Advertisement

It gives me hope seeing how well some of the shots have turned out for you and you've only got the camera a few days. I hopefully can manage getting the hang of things in the coming months. Gonna jump on that book too, seems highly recommended online.

There's gonna be a lot of new photographers around Ireland thanks to your Bargain Alert. And thanks for the tip, gonna check out that WP theme. Looking for something along the lines and have the web hosting ready to go. Thanks again, you've been really helpful throughout the thread.

It gives me hope seeing how well some of the shots have turned out for you and you've only got the camera a few days. I hopefully can manage getting the hang of things in the coming months.
    Probably 98% of shots I took on Friday evening after I got the camera were horrid.. read the few chapters of 'Understanding Exposure' and got the basics and some of the terminology and it made a huge difference.

Now I still ditched 80% of the photos I took this evening, but it's definitely making a difference.
    There's gonna be a lot of new photographers around Ireland thanks to your Bargain Alert. And thanks for the tip, gonna check out that WP theme. Looking for something along the lines and have the web hosting ready to go. Thanks again, you've been really helpful throughout the thread.
    No worries..

.. if you need help setting up Wordpress or setting up any of the themes, give me a shout. Would be glad to help!

Basq wrote: »
    Probably 98% of shots I took on Friday evening after I got the camera were horrid.. read the few chapters of 'Understanding Exposure' and got the basics and some of the terminology and it made a huge difference.

Now I still ditched 80% of the photos I took this evening, but it's definitely making a difference.

No worries..

.. if you need help setting up Wordpress or setting up any of the themes, give me a shout. Would be glad to help!

I've thought myself a little basic web editing in the past, and also used WP and found it pretty straightforward so i'll be ok hopefully, but thanks very much for the offer.

Your definitely getting the hang of it by looking at some of those pics. I thought it would take months to get to that stage. Gonna order some of the DX stuff you mentioned earlier too. Should have them sometime in 2014 :D

Picked up my 50mm lens this morning.. so will give that a test drive this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Picked up my 50mm lens this morning.. so will give that a test drive this evening.

basq. how long did the camera take to arrive in sligo from canon and pm.

mine shipped today but my pm in Dublin and I'm in achill. would it make it to castlebar by the weekend if I changed it now. it shipped thus morning.
    thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Those prime lenses are great. You will probably have it left on the camera most of the time.

Guys dont forget to check out the photography forum on here and post some shots in the random photos thread.

Also, people asking about bags, I dont have this camera but probably a similar sized Nikon and I bought a Lowepro Slingshot 102aw for it and couldnt be happier with it. Its £50 sterling on amazon. Have a look at it on Youtube.:)

I`m still a beginner btw, only two months into owning a DSLR so my advice is coming from the perspective of a relative noob.:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got my shipped notification as well this morning, all excited now, going to have to start looking up all the photo stuff, this is my first time using Parcel Motel as well, very very handy.

basq. how long did the camera take to arrive in sligo from canon and pm.

mine shipped today but my pm in Dublin and I'm in achill. would it make it to castlebar by the weekend if I changed it now. it shipped thus morning.
    thx
    Got notification of shipment from Canon at 8.30am last Wednesday morning (it'll have tracking info on it), signed for in PM in Antrim on Thursday afternoon, and delivered to my local ParcelMotel at 1am on Thursday night / Friday morning.

If it'd to hazard a guess from that, it'll probably in your local ParcelMotel late tomorrow night / early Thursday morning.

Got notification of shipment from Canon at 8.30am last Wednesday morning (it'll have tracking info on it), signed for in PM in Antrim on Thursday afternoon, and delivered to my local ParcelMotel at 1am on Thursday night / Friday morning.

If it'd to hazard a guess from that, it'll probably in your local ParcelMotel late tomorrow night / early Thursday morning.

hopefully Friday morning so I can collect when I get home. I was thinking of changing to castlebar but don't know if its risky.

hopefully Friday morning so I can collect when I get home. I was thinking of changing to castlebar but don't know if its risky.
    Give them a call (1890 24 17 17) and ask their advice maybe.

I'd say it shouldn't be a problem to change it now as it shouldn't be with them til tomorrow, and probably won't leave their depot til close of business tomorrow.

Give them a call (1890 24 17 17) and ask their advice maybe.

I'd say it shouldn't be a problem to change it now as it shouldn't be with them til tomorrow, and probably won't leave their depot til close of business tomorrow.

will stay in my box indefinitely with a 3.50 charge per 48 hours. no point changing it. thanks for your help....is there anything you can do about the weather? it's cloudy here in achil:(
    you'll find some photos I took with my 1100d last year on dublinphotographyonline.com

will stay in my box indefinitely with a 3.50 charge per 48 hours. no point changing it. thanks for your help....is there anything you can do about the weather? it's cloudy here in achil:(
    True enough.. if it even arrives late tomorrow night / early Thursday morning, you'll be grand collecting it on Friday evening.

Worse happens, am sure a friend or family member could collect it for you in your PM in Dublin.

PS - Cloudy in Achill? Can't do miracles! :( To quote Crowded House, I tend to take the weather with me - typically miserable god-awful weather!

Got my dispatch notification this morning too. Luckily I'm living 5 mins walking distance from my Parcel Motel (Dublin 1). I'm hoping to have it by Friday. Any earlier will be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

When I tried to get this I added a UK address as requested (the parcel motel one) but it also requests a phone number & it won't accept my own ROI number?? Anyone else get this?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got the notice as well this morning, I'm hoping to have it on Thursday along with all the stuff I bought on Amazon for it, then spend the evening & Friday setting it up and then go walking with the Clarebaby on Saturday to take loads of loads of pictures :D

• Advertisement

When I tried to get this I added a UK address as requested (the parcel motel one) but it also requests a phone number & it won't accept my own ROI number?? Anyone else get this?

I used PM's NI phone number

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Mine arrived today via parcel motel.

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    Mine arrived today via parcel motel.

Did you grab the offer the second or third time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

6 left of this one. It's a seller referb and not a manufacturer one. Not sure what the difference is between those.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Canon-EOS-1100D-Digital-SLR-Camera-18-55mm-DC-Lens-Refurbished-/390616131391?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item5af289273f

Found this bag on Amazon which is pretty highly rated for only £15. Gonna add a good quality SD card and maybe one or two lenses that were mentioned a while back. Should qualify for free delivery.

Broke out the 50mm lens this evening.. lovely lens, but definitely not ideal for indoor shots as it's far too "tight".

As you'll see, the 18mm - 55mm lens kit is very adjustable... that's pretty much in the name though (18mm - 55mm).

I'd say the 50mm has some truly superb range for outdoor shots but for close-up's, it's definitely too tight.

Will be keeping both in my case in the near future methinks... actually, still need to pick up a case!

Took about 5 - 12 indoor shots and this is the only one that's salvageable.. and even then, it's far from perfect.

83Y8St.jpg

Just checked the track and trace and my parcel was signed for at the Parcel Motel address at around 11.30am. So it's in their hands now. Hopefully be here in the next 48 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭tdow

Just checked the track and trace and my parcel was signed for at the Parcel Motel address at around 11.30am. So it's in their hands now. Hopefully be here in the next 48 hours.

You should have it tomorrow morning. Mine arrive at parcel motel yesterday and woke up to a text saying that I can pick it up.
    It's my first time using parcel motel but it seems to be a great service (assuming everything is in order when I pick it up this evening)

• Advertisement

tdow wrote: »
    You should have it tomorrow morning. Mine arrive at parcel motel yesterday and woke up to a text saying that I can pick it up.
    It's my first time using parcel motel but it seems to be a great service (assuming everything is in order when I pick it up this evening)

First time using it myself, handy getting the two free deliverys too. Seems straightforward though. Very quick shipping if you got it within 24 hours.

Advertisement