Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crew

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Pixelbastardo

Played about half an hour, it's utter crap IMO. Cheesy dialogue, poor vehicle handling, just not my kind of game. It's like a cross between Driver San Francisco and Watchdogs without being able to get out of your car.

Have you messed with the different driving options in the menu ?. Theres loads of dials to tweak, along with presets for "all aids" on, "sports" and "pro" or something similar. I played for an hour and just stuck it on sports, got past the first few story missions and got to the point where the whole map is now explorable.. havent really formed a solid impression on it yet myself apart from it having not so great visuals, but not brutal either, it kind of reminds me of the look of the Midnight club games on the ps2.. ill have to have a spin from NY to LA and see if the driving clicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

For those that have played a bit of it:

How big is the game? Is the map large enough?

For those that have played a bit of it:

How big is the game? Is the map large enough?

The map is very big, driving between cities can take awhile let alone driving from one side of the map to the other, which i gotta try later. and ill time it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I could only play the prologue. Now every time I try to play it says that PSN is unreachable. Anyone else having this trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

nocoverart wrote: »
    I could only play the prologue. Now every time I try to play it says that PSN is unreachable. Anyone else having this trouble?

Just tried to play it after downloading there, getting the same message. Will try again later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Anyone see any difference between this demo and the last one? I didn't enjoy the last one and thought that it was very rough graphically.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,682 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All downloaded when i got home, finished the prologue and really enjoyed. Dash cam definitely the best way to play in it. In the main garage and told i cant leave until more of the game installs. I quit to xmb and check options for the game. Shows 6gbs of 16gbs downloaded. Another 10 bollicking gbs. Will check again later tonight.

Enjoying the story, alex looks like a cross between Gordon freeman and a young walter white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

tok9 wrote: »
    I've a code and no interest in playing. PM if anyone would like it.
    Edit: for PS4

Code is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EdragonXX

Everyone on PS4 and Xbox One is already invited to play Crew beta. So you do not need a code.

Still can't get past the prologue, 5gbs downloaded, another 5 to go. Giving up for the night. What car did ye pick starting? I went with the Camaro ss, class car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Still can't get past the prologue, 5gbs downloaded, another 5 to go. Giving up for the night. What car did ye pick starting? I went with the Camaro ss, class car.

downloaded fine for. Started with the 350z thinking it would be good corners. how wrong I was or I'm doing it wrong. :pac: game dosent seem to bad. map in huge didn't think it would be that big. finished game could be class but I think for the handling of the cars don't seem that great.

So i just sank about 4 1/2 hours into this. Completed the prologue, and 2 main missions. The rest was spent driving around the Midwest region, finding the wrecks (20 in each region) and ended up with a lovely Hotrod, which i immediately sprayed black, put on massive fenders, flame stickers, yellow interior and red skull wheels. And now i need to sleep.

As for the game, i absolutely love it. It's the next game in the NFS: Underground series as far as i'm concerned. I can see myself sinking a crazy amount of hours into it, when it's finally released that it.

Pros:
    - MAHOOOOSIVE map. No exaggeration. It takes 40 minutes to drive across the map, with loading!!!
    - Lots to do - As in, a stupid amount. Each region has satellites which you drive to in order to display the skill challenges, landmarks and general locations of the hidden car in that region. But it doesn't automatically unlock the map, so if something you want is in a grey area, you have to drive to it.
    - Fast Travel. Unlike other fast travel systems, you can fast travel to any road which has been discovered. This means, if something you want is greyed out, you can fast travel to the nearest available bit of road/land and go from there, rather than certain locations like in other games.
    - Challenges. It's littered with them, but they're not pointless. Completing a challenge unlocks an upgrade for the car you completed it with. So instead of just showing off your times/skills, you actually get to upgrade your car by doing these, and they can be done on the fly, no loading, or even leaving your current course.
    - Graphics. I know some people don't think it looks great, but it looks absolutely fine in my opinion. Yeah, it's no premium cars and tracks from GT6, or Forza level of detail, but when you take into account the absence of loading in free roam, and the amount of little things like the planes flying in real time above you, hangliders, people, animals, crops (there's something satisfying about driving through corn and leaving a big track behind you), you tend to appreciate it more.
    - Upgrades. All visual upgrades available right from the start. For example, there are 5 or 6 different categories of rims, and each one (aside from the "official" category) has 50+ in each (road has 80+). And you can have whatever ones you want (if you have the money!).
    - Upgrade style. There's a con to this as well, but the pro is the way it's presented also. Performance upgrades takes away everything but the mechanics of the car, and you're left looking at the engine, drivetrain, wheels, suspension, etc. No chassis. It's a neat way of doing it.

Cons:
    - The cars all handle like boats. Well, the ones i've driven anyway. I know there's options in the menu to change the handling settings, and i did, but it will take a bit of tweaking to get it to feel right.
    - Pop ups! Yeah, pop ups. When you complete a skill challenge, it fills the screen with big boxes of information, all while you're still driving! You can stop, but it would be nicer to have them smaller and up top, rather than covering your car.
    - Your information. Constantly on the left hand side, in the middle of the screen, is the information about you. Nothing you need to see, and i can't seem to hide it. It's distracting, and should be up higher in the corner if it's needed at all.
    - Dark Garage. The garage, where you apply your visual modifications is way too dark, and it makes it hard to see what the upgrades will look like. It needs to be well lit, but it's not the first game to do this.
    - Upgrades. While there is a vast amount of upgrades immediately available for whatever car you have, the way they're applied doesn't look well. When you're visually upgrading the car, each component separates from the rest of the car, even the ones you're not currently upgrading. So the new upgrade is floating in front of the car, and it makes it hard to judge. This can be overcome with a demo (preview) mode, but it would have been easier to just see the upgrade there and then.
    - Upgrade camera. It's locked into position unless you go into the aforementioned demo mode. And even then you've to hit another button to get free view.
    - Demo mode. You can't change the part while in demo mode, you have to exit out, select a different part, and then go back into demo mode. Should be able to change parts in demo mode.

Yeah, so stuck into this until Monday, Advanced Warfare won't get a look in! It'll suck to play so much and then have to wait for the official release. At least it'll only be a month (hopefully!).

Edit: Just realised the save won't carry over to the full release! Think it's time to start messing and not trying to complete anything!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cons:
    - The cars all handle like boats.

I'm sorry but in a driving game, a con like that is unforgivable. All the pro's in the world can't make up for that.

It would be like a platformer with poor jumping mechanics....nothing else about the game really matters if they can't get that basic thing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 EdragonXX

Kirby wrote: »
    I'm sorry but in a driving game, a con like that is unforgivable. All the pro's in the world can't make up for that.

It would be like a platformer with poor jumping mechanics....nothing else about the game really matters if they can't get that basic thing right.

Please do not forget that this is still BETA!

Anyone wanna try the crew feature out, add me sheehy83. Hnady feature in-game where you press the R3 button and you're friends who own the game pop up and you can select one to insta crew with.

I like the Arcadey driving, really not as bad as Watchdogs though. Once you get the hang of the handbrake, you can get a nice controlled drift through the corners.

Is the Hotrod worth collecting? Loving the dash cam driving, some nice intense races with it.

10390969_888895311128237_5971198281008522921_n.jpg?oh=d448750896875252ab4b38b18d475aa7&oe=54DEBA95

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ems_medic

Is the Hotrod worth collecting? Loving the dash cam driving, some nice intense races with it.

Played it during the close beta and to be honest not really. You cant customise it much and it drives like pants (Chicago hotrod that is).

But with that said there is little else to do in the Beta so you may as well :P

edit: and the visibility from inside a hotrod is about the same as a tank

Kirby wrote: »

I'm putting it down to still being in beta, but there are options to fine tune. I also like to think that doing 200 kmh and trying to turn in a stupid heavey rwd Mustang does mean i'm not going to turn as easy as other games make out.

It's another car, haven't played around with it much, but it's a cool little thing. I'm more disappointed now that i've found out that the EU launch won't be getting an Mitsubishis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

My initial dislike of the game is waning, it's not nearly as bad as I first thought. Still not enough to tempt me into buying the full game.

I drove from San Fran to New york yesterday (no offroad), and it took me 42 minutes. This map is massive.

Whats the story with the multiplayer races ?, are there any others apart from the 4 player races that pop up on the map when you finish the story stuff ?. is there a way to just quick search for a multiplayer lobby ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Cars dont handle like boats when you get to level 7 or so and you put the right mods on your car. This is a MMO style game what will happen is you will spend 20 hours in one car unlocking 15 others but 30 mods for the car your driving. Switching cars mean you will start from zero in the new car.

PC beta was longer and almost everyone was driving the 1st car they had and had loads of **** unlocked, which means you will form an attachment of sorts. i played 2 betas and 2nd one with the Z it was a beast by level 10.

• Advertisement

Man i hope this game doesnt revolve around MicroTransactions. replaying missions now trying to save 100,000 for the Nissan Skyline, which is one of the first cars available when you start the game(in the NY store), so one of the lower tier cars that will be in the game. Every mission pays out just under 1,200.. thats alot of grinding for a stock car before any customization. I wonder how much something like a super car will cost. Grind for 3 hours or buy some in game credit is the way this might end up.. hopefully not because the game is pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ems_medic

Man i hope this game doesnt revolve around MicroTransactions. replaying missions now trying to save 100,000 for the Nissan Skyline, which is one of the first cars available when you start the game(in the NY store), so one of the lower tier cars that will be in the game. Every mission pays out just under 1,200.. thats alot of grinding for a stock car before any customization. I wonder how much something like a super car will cost. Grind for 3 hours or buy some in game credit is the way this might end up.. hopefully not because the game is pretty good.

I got the developer code for the closed beta so basically money / crew credits wasn't an option. It was great :P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Have pre ordered on amazon. as I need a driving game to just get 'lost in' with huge maps like I did with TDU2, Was happy to read the same core team behind that game are doing this one so (for me at-least) its happy days!

Didnt get into the beta but can wait for full game

Yeah, after the Beta, this is definitely a Day 1 purchase for me. I will definitely lose so much time in this, and that's without even considering Crewing up and doing MP missions/races. From my last post, the only thing that's still bothering me is the lighting in the garages. I hope they brighten them up a bit, especially when trying to put on black/carbon skirts, and they're impossible to see.

Anyway, bring on the release!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Awesome game, with so much going for it and incredible online functionality...

... is what I would've said if it was 2005

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,568 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is it as good as Test Drive Unlimited or as bad as Test Drive Unlimited 2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it as good as Test Drive Unlimited or as bad as Test Drive Unlimited 2?

Well, I drove from Chicago to Las Vegas at night with tunes nice and loud and it was a million times better than TDU.

Not a happy camper. Have this on PC, started the 2.5 hour Faction Mission (drive the circumference of the map). 58 Minutes in, 21/30 checkpoints, and i hit an invisible barrier. AI car 2, 3 & 4 all hit the same invisible barrier. My car slowly tips backwards until a crash scene, and back into the invisible barrier again. Car tips again, stuck on a loading screen. Alt+Tab to the desktop, game keeps trying to bring me back, took 5 minutes of Ctrl+Alt+Del over and over and attempting to end the program before it tries to bring the game back up. Eventually get to close the game. Extremely annoyed.

Also, the rubberbanding in this game is shocking! Still enjoying it, but this crash has put me off for a few days me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

On PC too, enjoying-ish it. PVP and Multiplayer is pathetic though, still haven't got a session going. Terrible for a game that's about "connectivity".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

On PC too, enjoying-ish it. PVP and Multiplayer is pathetic though, still haven't got a session going. Terrible for a game that's about "connectivity".

Reminds me of TDU 2 on launch. That actually killed the game and studio who made it. I really liked that game. :(

Advertisement