Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Crew

Options
  • 13-06-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭

Havent seen many people posting about this so wondering if theres others as excited for this as i am? Im not even a big racing fan but each new thing i hear about it has me so excited to try it.
    Was watching Gamespots stage demo and interview here http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/the-crew-6410007/ where the guy claims their New York is the same size as GTA4s liberty city and they have Chicago, Las Vegas, L.A., Miami and 10 other cities on top of that.
    He also mentions it took one of their devs in a top of the range car with a top level 1 hour and 45 minutes to drive coast to coast via highways and 2 hours 30 to do it off road over mountains etc.
    The scale of this thing is insane and the kind of stuff you might be able to get up to in that world just has my mind racing with custom races between cities etc not to mention all the collectibles out in the wild and i love that kind of thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Anecdotally, open world car games, like Burnout Paradise, have some appeal for self-professed non-racing game fans. Great for them, I guess, but populates the world with (even more) players that just want to 'dick around' (ie. crash into other players). Constantly descending into aimless crash-pile-ups becomes tiresome when the objective calls for anything more inspired than 'crash into other players'.

It doesn't look bad - I just need to see more. I heard mention that the handling model needs attention - too 'squirrely' atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah hoping they fix the driving model as that seems to be everyones major gripe with it right now, and its pretty key

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fnz wrote: »
    Anecdotally, open world car games, like Burnout Paradise, have some appeal for self-professed non-racing game fans. Great for them, I guess, but populates the world with (even more) players that just want to 'dick around' (ie. crash into other players). Constantly descending into aimless crash-pile-ups becomes tiresome when the objective calls for anything more inspired than 'crash into other players'.

It doesn't look bad - I just need to see more. I heard mention that the handling model needs attention - too 'squirrely' atm.

To be fair to these people that "dick around", the Burnout series has revolved around crashing for a long time and Paradise does have some elements of this, though a lot less than its' previous incarnations unfortunately. I don't think it's ever been seen as a proper racing game, has it?

Genuinely so looking forward to this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Waiting to hear if I got into the Beta, I'm looking forward to any game that gives me the opportunity to have a Cannonball run :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Hugely ambitious, but could be amazing if they pull it off. So to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

2 hours to drive coast to coast?

Either the car can go supersonic or the world isn't exactly to scale

Overheal wrote: »

They always said it wasn't completely to scale, just they have tried to fit in as much as reasonably possible

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks so class. Anyone know how many people can be in a crew?

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Looks so class. Anyone know how many people can be in a crew?

From all the videos it looks to be 4 is the size for each crew

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Overheal wrote: »

Yeah I'd say the empty space/small towns between cities will be greatly reduced, and the actual cities made smaller. Still though, what's more important is 2 hours drive coast to coast... with no loading screens or slowdown. They do that, it's certainly an incredible feat.

November 11th full release date confirmed for PS4, PC and Xbox One.

July 23rd is the beta release date which I think is only for PC if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, Beta is only for PC, pity, I'm mad to try this. 2 hour long missions always online with friends sounds like a pain though. No pausing if have to pi$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,989 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

VinLieger wrote: »
    From all the videos it looks to be 4 is the size for each crew

As long as it's fun I guess. Rolling hills of Alabama, the Miami turnpike, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

The Beta should be starting today. Anyone with a spare/unwanted key let me know in case I don't get one.

Footage from Beta. Seems a bit......slow and boring. They definitely need to speed it up a bit or driving cross country will be an awful bore.

Anyone here playing the beta?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If it will have G27 support then it has my attention. I would love a game like TDU with G27.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've had one go at the beta, I haven't had much time to play it and I hear the beta ends today so I won't really be able to judge it too much.

The missions I've done (up to get into the gang) are pretty basic and straightforward, the first few seem to be examples of the particular car types, so you get to try out the different classes. There's loads of stuff just scattered around the map, like drive through this flashing thing and start a high speed challenge, or a slalom challenge or tag a landmark.

Graphically it looks pretty good for such a large map. Once I got through the few initial problems like background programs in windows putting a speed limit of 59kph on cars.

I plugged my wheel in and used the internal view, this makes the driving really easy, the FFB is very basic the wheel doesn't really give you any information but that's to be expected. Can't remap pretty important controls, like the attaching the gears to the wheels paddles. But I was really surprised to see it can accept a clutch and h-shifter.

I drove down to New York the countryside is nice in it, pretty varied from what I saw and again scattered with side missions. There doesn't really seem to be that much depth to the driving, you're constantly upgrading the car as you complete missions (without going to a garage, upgrades can be applied anywhere) and it doesn't really seem to have much effect.

I think if you like exploring an open world and doing lots of side missions you'll like the game, there's plenty to do it seems. I could see myself getting bored with it pretty quickly though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I think its a poor mans TDU.

• Advertisement

I loved TDU 2. Every bit of it except the driving which kinda sucked as it was a driving game. If this is like TDU 2 with better handling, I'm sold. Do you buy cars or just given different types for different missions?

Also, does anyone know if the Dodge Viper is in it?

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Do you buy cars or just given different types for different missions?
    You buy your own cars but you also get given cars for certain missions.

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've had one go at the beta, I haven't had much time to play it and I hear the beta ends today so I won't really be able to judge it too much.

The missions I've done (up to get into the gang) are pretty basic and straightforward, the first few seem to be examples of the particular car types, so you get to try out the different classes. There's loads of stuff just scattered around the map, like drive through this flashing thing and start a high speed challenge, or a slalom challenge or tag a landmark.

Graphically it looks pretty good for such a large map. Once I got through the few initial problems like background programs in windows putting a speed limit of 59kph on cars.

I plugged my wheel in and used the internal view, this makes the driving really easy, the FFB is very basic the wheel doesn't really give you any information but that's to be expected. Can't remap pretty important controls, like the attaching the gears to the wheels paddles. But I was really surprised to see it can accept a clutch and h-shifter.

I drove down to New York the countryside is nice in it, pretty varied from what I saw and again scattered with side missions. There doesn't really seem to be that much depth to the driving, you're constantly upgrading the car as you complete missions (without going to a garage, upgrades can be applied anywhere) and it doesn't really seem to have much effect.

I think if you like exploring an open world and doing lots of side missions you'll like the game, there's plenty to do it seems. I could see myself getting bored with it pretty quickly though.

Hows the performance? Any chance of running it on tripple screen? Or we talking 2x780ti knowing its ubisoft creation?

The upgrade system is disappointing to say the least. For open world mmoish game like this, you would expect some sort of interesting and complex upgrade system.

So it is a mix of single player and multiplayer racing in a big world. TDU unlimited so? I actually like that one.

Hows the performance? Any chance of running it on tripple screen? Or we talking 2x780ti knowing its ubisoft creation?
    Performance seemed pretty good, I didn't get to do any tests but I didn't notice any slowdown and I had everything maxed out on a GTX770.

Every mission has the option to do it solo or multiplayer and you get bonuses for doing it multiplayer. I tried doing a mission in multiplayer but it couldn't find anyone near me so I just did everything solo. You do see other people driving around wherever you go.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Performance seemed pretty good, I didn't get to do any tests but I didn't notice any slowdown and I had everything maxed out on a GTX770.

Every mission has the option to do it solo or multiplayer and you get bonuses for doing it multiplayer. I tried doing a mission in multiplayer but it couldn't find anyone near me so I just did everything solo. You do see other people driving around wherever you go.

Did you play in single screen or surround? I got 680, so I would not be too far in performance.

I will give it a try when it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

My thoughts is thats its trying to a MMO(Torque) and NFS and PGR at the same time.

Spent about 6 hours on the beta tweaking the fook out of my Challenger SRT, got it to not corner like a bouncy castle via mods and a very intricate control scheme. After doing that I got a Vantage for a set piece mission and it drove perfectly power and cornering.....made me want one.

Took me 44 minutes to go coast to coast, was playing with a buddie and raced it. There are literally thousands of missions in this game, i think the best way to play it is Coop only, single player is good but gets much better with your crew hanging about.

Will buy when its €20

Did you play in single screen or surround? I got 680, so I would not be too far in performance.
    Just single screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭crazydom

The game doesn't look next gen exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Will be coming to Xbox 360 but not PS3 and there will be a closed beta for Xbox One and PS4 in late September

• Advertisement

crazydom wrote: »
    The game doesn't look next gen exciting?
    I thought it looked pretty good, I wouldn't have too many complaints about the graphics really given the size of the map. It's not as detailed as the likes of GTA but you're spending most of your time zipping through it at high speed so it works pretty well.

Advertisement