Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

As has been said before, it's the precedent of blocking the largest torrent site. It puts pressure on the others then. Netflix and Spotify did not cause HMV to close, rather their losses because of piracy. This had been going on for years.

Bullshit.
    I know people who have been pirating for the last 10 years, since Limewire etc. It's not a new invention in the last 2/3 years.

It is the Netflix, Spotify and other services that brought HMV's downfall about. Why would someone who chooses not to illegally download pay up to €15 in a shop, when they can stream it legally for free, or buy it for less on iTunes or similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

oh no, this would almost slightly inconvenience me if proxies and kat.ph didnt exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Prodigious wrote: »
    Bullshit.
    I know people who have been pirating for the last 10 years, since Limewire etc. It's not a new invention in the last 2/3 years.

It is the Netflix, Spotify and other services that brought HMV's downfall about. Why would someone who chooses not to illegally download pay up to €15 in a shop, when they can stream it legally for free, or buy it for less on iTunes or similar?

When did I say it was a new invention? And it was the gradual build up of piracy over the years that finally became too much for HMV. They also failed to adapt to the download market and Apple trounced them there, fair enough. If my memory is correct Spotify only become available in this country around the time HMV closed, Netflix a while before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Bullshit.

Statistics have shown that when given an easy to use alternative, people will pay subscription fees.
    Netflix has a larger selection in the U.S. and so a smaller percentage of people using TPB while Europe is the opposite.

The same statistics have shown that 'pirates', on average, spend more on music/movies than people who don't pirate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Tell good ol' Seanie what you think.

Tel:
    Phone: 022-53523
    Fax: 022-57761
    Mobile: 087-7402057

Also while your at it ask him why he is breaking a law that he wants bought in.:confused:

Sean Sherlock violates copyright on his OWN site!

https://sites.google.com/site/seansherlocktdsopa/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

in 15 years time i bought maybe 5music CDs,about 50 games and over 100movies-now i bought these because they had some sort of value or interested to me,that i liked to have original copy for future.Saying that never bought any software nor windows OS,unless it came preinstalled.Reason is simple behind it-most of the movies or albums/games that come out these days are total crap.No quality or effort put into making them,so why anyone with any crap released should get anything paid to them if its impossible to listen to a song more then once,same applies to movies and games.
    Secondly it industry is loosing so much movie how the F studios manage to make movies that in two-three days time rake 100 millions in profits,any better movie these days in cinema pays off in less then couple days time.
    If government wants to F&*k around and ban some torrent sites it gonna take more then this,as for one down theres 10 to fill the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Lashings of faux outrage around here this morning.

Sergeant wrote: »

If you have nothing to contribute, why comment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Locanfetzava

What harm is this move going to make now that we got Spotify and Netflix along with other good legit streaming sites:)

At least it will help tidy some of the junk and malware that is associated with these illegal sites.

What harm is this move going to make now that we got Spotify and Netflix along with other good legit streaming sites:)

At least it will help tidy some of the junk and malware that is associated with these illegal sites.

How are they illegal? There's plenty of legal content on them.
    Would youtube be classified as an illegal site if someone uploaded an entire season of game of thrones? It might not last long up there but it's definitely possible. Please educate yourself.

• Advertisement

TPB also actively moderates uploads and removes malware and scams.

Caliden wrote: »

Clutching at straws.

Clutching at straws.

You said that. You are wrong. There is an abundance of legal content on them.

Clutching at straws.

Define an 'illegal' site then. There's no such thing.
    I could go on to youtube right now and rip entire albums from it, is it still a 'legal' website?

Megaupload was raided for being an 'illegal site' but thousands of people used it for legitimate file hosting and have since lost their data. We all know how that turned out....

As has been said before, it's the precedent of blocking the largest torrent site. It puts pressure on the others then. Netflix and Spotify did not cause HMV to close, rather their losses because of piracy. This had been going on for years.

I hope you are being sarcastic cause to day that HMV closed because of piracy is beyond ridicolous. HMV closed because much as it tried to adapt to a changing market place, expanded web presence, wider selection if products, restructured pricing, etc it was still faced with crippling rents. Many if the stores here were paying over a million a year in rent alone meaning that those stores would have to take in 3,000 every day in order to cover rent alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

It starts with Torrent sites being blocked
    Next it will be free expression, anything against the government
    We will eventually end up with what those in power want us to see

Censorship is wrong
    Blocking access to websites is wrong

Sean Sherlock et al are wrong

Sergeant wrote: »

If you can't see how dangerous this nice is then more fool you. This is just the beginning and don't be surprised to find that in 5 years time the government and big business have the power to block any site that is critical if them or hosts material they deem "illegal".

You said that. You are wrong. There is an abundance of legal content on them.

I don't doubt that and thats not where im coming from. He's trying to use it as an argument when the illegality of the site is quite clear. Completely sidelining the bigger issue to cling on to a point.

Sin City wrote: »
    It starts with Torrent sites being blocked
    Next it will be free expression, anything against the government
    We will eventually end up with what those in power want us to see

Censorship is wrong
    Blocking access to websites is wrong

Sean Sherlock et al are wrong

It's the start of a nanny nation where our Government think they know what's best and what they deem 'appropriate content'.

Which makes no sense because we all have the same amount of exposure to the internet as them so they are by no means 'experts' on the matter. The real experts are advising against any such blocks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Locanfetzava

Would youtube be classified as an illegal site if someone uploaded an entire season of game of thrones? It might not last long up there but it's definitely possible. Please educate yourself.

Unregulated would be the correct term for them.

• Advertisement

It's the start of a nanny nation where our Government think they know what's best and what they deem 'appropriate content'.

Which makes no sense because we all have the same amount of exposure to the internet as them so they are by no means 'experts' on the matter. The real experts are advising against any such blocks.

I could see the likes of Shatter wanting to "restrict" what the media can cover, as well as what sites the pubic can view. We will end up like Syria or China or something

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

I think they need to block google now as well.

I just typed Django Unchained into google followed by the word torrent and it brought me to multiple links where I could download it illegally.

fonda wrote: »
    I think they need to block google now as well.

I just typed Django Unchained into google followed by the word torrent and it brought me to multiple links where I could download it illegally.

The Gardai are on their way. TrueCrypt your hard drives now!

Someone I know made a mirror just to test:

seansherlock.net46.net

seansherlock.net46.net

The irony....it's....it's too much

seansherlock.net46.net

Lolz

Maybe we should try and get that site publicity
    Make it more known than TPB
    Could you imagine his face

Sin City wrote: »
    Lolz

Maybe we should try and get that site publicity
    Make it more known than TPB
    Could you imagine his face

If/when the block comes in the person I know plans to make a proper domain and hosting mirror, something along the lines of NoShitSherlock.net.

The current one is a free webhost he tried just to see how easy it was.

If/when the block comes in the person I know plans to make a proper domain and hosting mirror, something along the lines of NoShitSherlock.net.

The current one is a free webhost he tried just to see how easy it was.

So pretty easy then?
    When the time comes, I think using twitter and get it trending would leave a bad taste in Sherlock's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

So apparently the Irish High Court has no interest in protecting the rights of Irish citizens to visit perfectly legal websites that have legitimate uses.

The vast majority of all traffic through thepiratebay is the downloading of torrents for copyrighted material.

There is no possible reason the owners/runners of the site could claim they knew nothing about it, and if they did (as they must have done) and did nothing to stop it, then they were indeed facilitating.

Not that this is anything to worry about.

Piratebay has been declining for a long while now and isohunt is a far better site, and these sites will simply pop up faster than they can legally be taken down, so why the fuss?

• Advertisement

Let the games begin

Advertisement