Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Not very many businesses will be around for long if they operate at a loss. Record companies are entitled to charge whatever they want for records, and they are entitled to pay artists as little as they want. Its the market that sets the price of records and artists pay. If it wasn't desirable to be signed, then artists wouldn't work with record companies, so they must be offering something worthwhile. If its too expensive people won't buy them. However if something is too expensive, people do not have the entitlement to steal it, and companies have the right to operate in a market that isn't distorted by illegal activity.

All record companies are not behemoths like Sony, EMI etc, but smaller operations.

Aaannndd we're in a loop.

Yes, i agree that there are smaller Record companies, Some set up to help bands/artists. Some set up because of the potential profits. Some set up because they want to encourage a specific type of music.

Many of those fail.

We don't have to pay the massive prices they ask. And Artists may sign a contract where they get paid feck all. But this is where the problem arises.
    People don't want to pay the crazy money the record Companies ask, which is the reason we are talking about what we are talking about.

The reason the Record Companies charge what they want, is because they aren't products that are a necessity, they are desireable.

The Record Companies are taking advantage of the desire people have to listen to certain musicians, and push it to the boundaries. Some people say it's 'well worth it, brilliant band, amazing album' etc. and some people say other.

The point being the record companies are relying on the majority of people really wanting the next album.
    In the 60's/70's/80's and 90's The majority of people had to buy them to get to listen (The latter exception being when double tape deck's/CD recorders came in), and that's the way it was.
    The Record Companies still see it that way, that they own the Artist and their music, and can still charge People a small fortune.

It's the only business that i can think of that runs like that.

They are now realising that people have the tools to fight back, and are refusing to pay the extortionate prices.
    The Record Companies think that by fighting it, they will win, because people will always desire good music.

They can't win. Even if they win these cases.
    The Tools are in place, the weapons are available to everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Google offers much the same functionality as The Pirate Bay and other Bit Torrent sites really

http://www.thepirategoogle.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I meant the takedowns and nzbmatrix.

I remember when you didn't have to worry about that stuff.

forgot about nzbmatrix. They made the mistake of hosting in the US (or was it Canada). But the day they closed 200 sites opened and started indexing usenet. Another pointless exercise.The takedowns are not new - they've done that for ages. They're getting quicker at it for the bigger shows like GoT but even then they're not quick enough.Sickbeard ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'm tempted to start my own torrent site here in Sherlock territory just to see how long it would take for them to block me

Make them all legal ones but advertise it like warez and pirated sh1t.

Then sue when you are blocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Allyall wrote: »
    Aaannndd we're in a loop.

Yes, i agree that there are smaller Record companies, Some set up to help bands/artists. Some set up because of the potential profits. Some set up because they want to encourage a specific type of music.

Many of those fail.

We don't have to pay the massive prices they ask. And Artists may sign a contract where they get paid feck all. But this is where the problem arises.
    People don't want to pay the crazy money the record Companies ask, which is the reason we are talking about what we are talking about.

The reason the Record Companies charge what they want, is because they aren't products that are a necessity, they are desireable.

The Record Companies are taking advantage of the desire people have to listen to certain musicians, and push it to the boundaries. Some people say it's 'well worth it, brilliant band, amazing album' etc. and some people say other.

The point being the record companies are relying on the majority of people really wanting the next album.
    In the 60's/70's/80's and 90's The majority of people had to buy them to get to listen (The latter exception being when double tape deck's/CD recorders came in), and that's the way it was.
    The Record Companies still see it that way, that they own the Artist and their music, and can still charge People a small fortune.

It's the only business that i can think of that runs like that.

They are now realising that people have the tools to fight back, and are refusing to pay the extortionate prices.
    The Record Companies think that by fighting it, they will win, because people will always desire good music.

They can't win. Even if they win these cases.
    The Tools are in place, the weapons are available to everybody.

Yes, the record companies charge crazy money for records - but you must remember people do have a choice, they don't have to buy records. The market sets the price. Its not like they sell water in a desert where money is extorted from people. It is not possible to engage in profiteering when recorded music and film are luxuries.

Again artists voluntarily go into businesses with record companies. They are not forced, they know there is a major advantage in having the machinery of a huge label behind them and there is a price to be paid for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

To return to my drug company example. For every successful drug invented, it is estimated that 10,000 drugs fail at some stage along the way. Yet drug companies are hugely profitable. Thats because they take huge risk, and those that pay off, pay off grandly. Same with the record labels. According to the RIAA 90% of records released by the major labels fail to turn a profit.

I afraid music business will soon turn the way pharmacy business did. For thousands years people cure themself on their own, using whatever they want - drugs like cocaine or chloroform etc. But it got restricted and monopolized by big companies and now we are all in hands of few multibilionairs. And it all was done by "democratic" governments for our own good.

I can imagine my grand-children in 2050 when I will tell them how it was to put whatever you want on the internet, how it was to actually keep some data in your house or record something to keep it and watch/listen. I can imagine that in 2050 all data will be stored remotely, secured by "government" for our own good as they do today with drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL that you actually think that, theres still 100s of other sites out there that are exactly the same as the pirate bay not to mention mirrors, vpns and google which does exactly the same thing the pirate bay does in reality.
    Also theres still god knows how many streaming sites for tv and movies, and youtube converters for music, entertainment companies need to wake up and realise they have already lost and start giving consumers a real choice about how to access and pay for their media instead of sticking to their archaic business models
    Think marshbaboon was joking

Yes, the record companies charge crazy money for records - but you must remember people do have a choice, they don't have to buy records.

Naive and immature - what about parents of child asking for new Disney movie or parents of teenager asking for latest Bieber CD?

And pirate is not only about entertainment. There are tons of data there - like Wikileaks, software, systems, learning materials, etc. Torrent ban will cut many people off important informations, banish them on information streamed by governments and global media corporations. We are on best way info Orwellism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

With Spotify and the thousand of music sites around now there isn't a need for this practice. I suspect if all of Immortal Techniques fans were to pirate his record he might wonder why he released it in the first place.

Not so much, seeing as he has released music for free in the first place. He understands how record label executive absolutely pimp their artists, and infact has songs referring to the subject.

zom wrote: »
    Naive and immature - what about parents of child asking for new Disney movie or parents of teenager asking for latest Bieber CD?
    Do what my parents did back in the day before torrents. Say no.
    And pirate is not only about entertainment. There are tons of data there - like Wikileaks, software, systems, learning materials, etc. Torrent ban will cut many people off important informations, banish them on information streamed by governments and global media corporations. We are on best way info Orwellism.

I agree, torrents are not only about piracy, they are only almost entirely about piracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Listening to the news just now and Dick Doyle Director General of IRMA said that the ruling today allows them to go after all sites that allow for "illegal" downloading. Also reporter said that even if PirateBay changes it's url to PirateBay.co, that it can be stopped immediately by the ISP providers.

Do what my parents did back in the day before torrents. Say no.

Quite interesting point of view - why we should bother about children in some undeveloped areas, cut off education, medical treatment and even food. We should just say NO!

I agree, torrents are not only about piracy, they are only almost entirely about piracy.

Just because YOU can't control what I share, doesn't mean I do something wrong. This is FREEDOM. And this is dangerous.

Anyone listening to their shite about having nowhere to hide etc, they're scaremongering, and talking utter nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

problem is, these sites rarely ever use the legal/legitimate uses >.>..

Listening to the news just now and Dick Doyle Director General of IRMA said that the ruling today allows them to go after all sites that allow for "illegal" downloading. Also reporter said that even if PirateBay changes it's url to PirateBay.co, that it can be stopped immediately by the ISP providers.

At some stage it end up as all websites to be "verified" if they are Politically Correct, able to be published without risk of any public issue. I wish I'm back in times when Internet was domain of small group of people who shared data across it without any control and consideration...

Quite interesting point of view - why we should bother about children in some undeveloped areas, cut off education, medical treatment and even food. We should just say NO!

You are confusing necessities like medical care and food with luxury entertainment such as recorded music and film? :rolleyes:

You must be a troll to come out with a statement like that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

This is mental, what will they think of next? Probably charging for links or something mental like that.....

Hang on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

I'm tempted to start my own torrent site here in Sherlock territory just to see how long it would take for them to block me

Feel free. All 100mb of ThePirateBay legal hosting software can be downloaded from the site.

Sherlock and the Record Company Cronies can keep trying to stop the torrents. But they won't. It's like watching an ant trying to stop a boot.

Im looking forward to seeing Sherlocks reaction when the EU says his SI is unlawful.

Feel free. All 100mb of ThePirateBay legal hosting software can be downloaded from the site.

Sherlock and the Record Company Cronies can keep trying to stop the torrents. But they won't. It's like watching an ant trying to stop a boot.

Any chance of a link to that hosting software?

• Advertisement

Im looking forward to seeing Sherlocks reaction when the EU says his SI is unlawful.

He will probably be delighted, because if it is ruled unlawful not only will it get the internet community off his back, but also media lobbyists as he will have shipped the problem off to Europe.

I'd say he'd see it as a win-win situation for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Says who?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Anyone who thinks this is about piracy is very naive, thats just the tool they're using to usher in what they really want: control.

Net neutrality got pushed a few steps back today, and the bullies were IRMA and Sean Sherlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I think someone had better draw him a diagram, his basic comprehension skills seem to be somewhat lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Don't know whether this was already posted on here..

The EU are fixing Seán Sherlocks f**k up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

IM0 wrote: »
    no just wait for them to fall off trucks
    Won't they be damaged so?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The sites do absolutely nothing illegal, they host none of the material only catalog it which is EXACTLY the same thing google does so why has that not been blocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Can't see what all the fuss is about really. A minor inconvenience. anyone with even little or no experience can still access these sites quite easily. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Can't see what all the fuss is about really. A minor inconvenience. anyone with even little or no experience can still access these sites quite easily. ;)

The principle of the thing. Do you think they'll stop there with just the one website? Will they leave it at just file sharing websites now there's an mechanism to block sites? Do you trust the government and large corporations to decide what you should be able to view on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Retrovertigo

Makes absolutely no difference for anyone wanting to access torrents from the pirate bay.

They did the same in the UK and instead there were sites set up that would search the Pirate Bay on your behalf by proxy and return the same torrent.

Happy downloading.

Advertisement