Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Court moron forces ISP's to block Torrent sites

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

latenia wrote: »
    Will a trip to the High Court be required in every single instance of them getting a site taken down? At over €100k a pop the record companies just don't have the cash to go down that road.

Now that this judgement has gone against, I'd imagine most ISP wouldn't take it to court next time and just do what they are told, because of the legal costs of potentially loosing a case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

VinLieger wrote: »
    LOL that you actually think that, theres still 100s of other sites out there that are exactly the same as the pirate bay not to mention mirrors, vpns and google which does exactly the same thing the pirate bay does in reality.
    Also theres still god knows how many streaming sites for tv and movies, and youtube converters for music, entertainment companies need to wake up and realise they have already lost and start giving consumers a real choice about how to access and pay for their media instead of sticking to their archaic business models
    Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Not really, illegal downloading will continue.

And that's why this is ****ing retarded.

I see some of you are confused by and unfamiliar with the idea of sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

They've even started going after Usenet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Allyall wrote: »
    The record Companies should be jailed. They're the ones trying to rob people.

Seriously? The product has a price, do you rob a telly or laptop if its too expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Mikros

latenia wrote: »
    Will a trip to the High Court be required in every single instance of them getting a site taken down? At over €100k a pop the record companies just don't have the cash to go down that road.

The Judge ordered that each of the ISP's bear their own costs in today's case. If another request to an ISP to block site X comes in it may be cheaper to simply block it than run up legal costs in a case where the High Court seems to only take one side.

I'm pretty sure the record companies realise this will not stop pirating. It is simply getting a precedent set and the first step in dismantling the idea of a free internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

mike65 wrote: »
    Seriously? The product has a price, do you rob a telly or laptop if its too expensive?

Ridiculous comparison, there is a complete difference between stealing a physical object worth a couple of hundred and copying a file that is no where near worth what is being charged and has an exorbitant markup that goes straight to the record companies and doesnt touch the artists hands

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Robbing a telly or a laptop is stealing a physical item from someone else. Download an album is making a copy for yourself. If I borrow a CD from a mate and rip it, how is that any different?
    And as for blocking sites, I was able to get onto TPB just by clicking on the first result in a google search so it's essentially pointless.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

I still remember when eircom blocked thepiratebay.com...

Had to start using thepiratebay.org.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

no just wait for them to fall off trucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Robbing a telly or a laptop is stealing a physical item from someone else. Download an album is making a copy for yourself. If I borrow a CD from a mate and rip it, how is that any different?
    And as for blocking sites, I was able to get onto TPB just by clicking on the first result in a google search so it's essentially pointless.

So the concept of intellectual copyright has no meaning in your er intellect? Be it the design of a fancy laptop or the film you watch and the music you listen to on it, its the creative ability of others that makes it possible.

• Advertisement

They've even started going after Usenet :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

IM0 wrote: »
    no just wait for them to fall off trucks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

So the concept of intellectual copyright has no meaning in your er intellect? Be it the design of a fancy laptop or the film you watch and the music you listen to on it, its the creative ability of others that makes it possible.

That's not what I said. There's no place in the modern music industry for massive labels with the likes of youtube giving artists more opportunity than ever before to get their own unique sound out there. They know it as well. If I want to support an artist, I go and see them perform live. I'm going to a festival which cost me £200 this weekend and I was happy to pay that money. Why should I have to pay some parasitic corporation when I can listen to music free on the likes of youtube and spotify?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Use VPN :) and I don't condone piracy only sharing your own legally owned entities!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Its the record company's own faults for robbing people for so long that pirating music is so popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

So apparently the Irish High Court has no interest in protecting the rights of Irish citizens to visit perfectly legal websites that have legitimate uses.
    [...]

There is always something dodgy about anything that is described as "perfectly legal".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Dear Sean Sherlock

You cannot win this. Kindly cease and desist.

Signed,

everyone.

PS: go **** yourself

returnNull wrote: »
    should they not go after the websites that are breaching the copyright?Its like banning cars because they are used in robberies!

Cars would be banned too if 99% of their use was for conducting illegal business.

Who are we kidding these sites exist almost solely for the distribution of pirated material.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

If only there was a way to HideMyAss..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭overshoot

The record/ tv/ film companies need to move with the times and stop fighting battles they can never win. It is a global audience they now face, not a regional one, people will not wait the week for their favourite tv show/movie to make it from America to here, once it has been aired its free to all, their desire to sell exclusive rights is costing them money imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

They still haven't gotten rid of the TorrentRoot of the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

You wouldn't steal a car......

Fairly sure most people would download a car if they could.

overshoot wrote: »
    The record/ tv/ film companies need to move with the times and stop fighting battles they can never win. It is a global audience they now face, not a regional one, people will not wait the week for their favourite tv show/movie to make it from America to here, once it has been aired its free to all, their desire to sell exclusive rights is costing them money imo

Haven't the record companies won this battle? The record companies know they cannot stop piracy and this is a point that people here seem to be missing. The idea of blocking torrent websites it to make it more difficult for the non-tech savy pirating copyrighted material.

The idea is if its challenging to do it illegally, then it will send users to legal outlets like iTunes which is simple to use. In other words pirating material for the ordinary punter will be more costly (in terms of effort) than in paying for it with cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Eircom blocked thepiratebay.com site but hasn't blocked the other thepiratebay site so bit pointless really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

People aren't entitled to copyrighted materials for free believe it or not. I don't disagree with the ban and would rather the creative industry is allowed to prosper again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

RIP illegal downloading. 1999-2013.

Not in the slightest. This will have zero impact. Even it if wasn't so easy to bypass there are a multitude of other torrent sites and other methods for getting illegal material if you want it.

People aren't entitled to copyrighted materials for free believe it or not. I don't disagree with the ban and would rather the creative industry is allowed to prosper again.

Ask unsigned artists what they think of piracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Someone is going to invent some sort of pirateproxy to get around this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Orion wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. This will have zero impact. Even it if wasn't so easy to bypass there are a multitude of other torrent sites and other methods for getting illegal material if you want it.

You're so right. I've even moved away from torrents, well indirectly anyway. They are much better ways and it's changing all the time. I do think it may be a good thing to make it harder for the non tech savy folk. Even my grandmother can use torrents :) . Then they might leave us alone :)

Advertisement