Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Eagles Vs Ireland - 8/6/13 KO: 19:45 local, 01:45 Irish time

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Buer wrote: »
    He has a habit of it. Paul Emerick was sent off last year playing Italy. Clever went over to the referee and mouthed off sarcastically "Oh, a red card, is that all you're going to give him?"

I think it was Garces who didn't get the nuances of the comment. If it was Barnes or Rollers, he was in the bin for giving lip.
    Can you imagine Nigles reaction to that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

clsmooth wrote: »
    The highlights are terrible. Although worth watching to see the US fans and hear the commentators. 'All credit to these referees, they come out and they know they're going to be subject to verbal bashing' 7.00mins onwards :D

The Yankee commentators are gas. When Madigan puts up an attacking Garyowen "Gonna put it on the foot is Madigan, not gonna make touch". A few tactics & rules to be learnt yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

So we now have three international hookers who can't throw a ball. Is it time we started letting some other players take the line-outs or is this just a knee-jerk, inflammatory post by a deluded fly-by-night?
    Who made the rule that only hookers can throw ? It demonstrated an incredibly narrow minded attitude toward the game when the idea of someone else throwing seems revolutionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Piliger wrote: »
    Who made the rule that only hookers can throw ? It demonstrated an incredibly narrow minded attitude toward the game when the idea of someone else throwing seems revolutionary.

Don't think its a rule at all, if i'm not mistaken SOB threw a few in a few weeks ago?

Apologies if I imagined that.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Greyian

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Don't think its a rule at all, if i'm not mistaken SOB threw a few in a few weeks ago?

He did, yeah, against Wales while Best was in the sin bin. He threw 2 from 2 successfully too, if I recall correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

P.Walnuts wrote: »

During the Six Nations was it? I remember him throwing, but can't remember whether it was with Leinster or Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

1. There is no rule in rugby that only hookers can throw.
    2. Neither is there a law that only hookers can throw.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Strauss and Sherry have been good at the darts all season. Why Strauss malfunctioned is beyond me. Best has no excuse and should be throwing darts better for the lions, and Cronin isn't as bad as people (Hook) suggests. I'm not worried about the actual darts, they'll come good, much in the same way you shouldn't panic over a kicker having a few mares.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's kind of forgotten now but Keith Wood wasn't a brillant thrower either. I think in truth it's perfectly normal for one or two lineouts to go wrong in a match. It's like a golfer missing a putting, it happens so I wouldn't get carried away with that. However more than that and it becomes a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

During the Six Nations was it? I remember him throwing, but can't remember whether it was with Leinster or Ireland.

Happened against Racing in the HC, I seem to remember Healy doing it at one stage as well

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,450 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think it's just through a process of elimination that the hooker does it?

Don't want to waste a back doing it, want your tall forwards to be options in the lineout and your large props to help do the lifting?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

bilston wrote: »
    It's kind of forgotten now but Keith Wood wasn't a brillant thrower either. I think in truth it's perfectly normal for one or two lineouts to go wrong in a match. It's like a golfer missing a putting, it happens so I wouldn't get carried away with that. However more than that and it becomes a problem.

Yup, as time has passed it has become sacrilege to say it but Wood wasn't actually particularly adept at the core duties of a hooker. There was a spell, near the end of his career, when people were suggesting that Ireland were as good with another hooker in the side who could hit their man all the time. Of course, what Wood brought to the side far exceeded what good throws could bring. It was often said at the time that he was a decent hooker but a world class rugby player.

awec wrote: »
    I think it's just through a process of elimination that the hooker does it?

Don't want to waste a back doing it, want your tall forwards to be options in the lineout and your large props to help do the lifting?

Think that's pretty much it. Modern hookers should be able to lift just as well as a lot of props though. In France, the scrum half used traditionally throw the ball in.

The advent of lifting in the line out really made it such that the scrum half was required to be in place to take the ball quickly and deliver it to his back line though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

.ak wrote: »
    Strauss and Sherry have been good at the darts all season. Why Strauss malfunctioned is beyond me. Best has no excuse and should be throwing darts better for the lions, and Cronin isn't as bad as people (Hook) suggests. I'm not worried about the actual darts, they'll come good, much in the same way you shouldn't panic over a kicker having a few mares.
    Apart from Clermont away.

Strauss is generally good at his throws but occasionally he just collapsed.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I still wonder if a SH throwing to a FB lifted by two locks wouldn't give a better result in terms of claiming the ball. You'd be a bit short staffed in the backs and the maul might suffer at bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

13 man lineout, best lineout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The long standing way was for the blindside winger to throw into the line out, or the SH as Buer mentioned. These were players who, upon throwing in, were assumed to have enough time to make their way back into position to resume play

In the late 60's a law amendment called the Australian Dispensation came in. This stopped kicking on the full outside the 25 yard line; it came to that a little more planning was needed at line out time as it gave a chance of platform for the back line. The line out also needed more strategy so fashion decreed that one of the pack threw in, this giving the backs an extra man. Generally being the smaller guys in the pack and thus less use for catching the ball in the era of 7 men all jumping, throwing in ended up as a job for the hooker.

Going back a step, Irish line out play has suffered more from a lack of an amazing jumper like POC recently than the actual throwing per se. The prospect of him and McCarthy playing together and shoring up the line out will do more to turn loses into wins than anything come November and February.

1. There is no rule in rugby that only hookers can throw.
    2. Neither is there a law that only hookers can throw.

:)

Indeed. I think wingers often used to throw the ball in - Grant Batty was a famous enough AB in the 1970s, and he used to throw the ball into the lineout.

Swiwi wrote: »
    Indeed. I think wingers often used to throw the ball in - Grant Batty was a famous enough AB in the 1970s, and he used to throw the ball into the lineout.

His son spent some time here playing a few years back. Was scrum half at Bective, I think. Nice chap.

Buer wrote: »
    His son spent some time here playing a few years back. Was scrum half at Bective, I think. Nice chap.

He was before my time, so as to speak (ie not even born!), but he was NZ's version of Shane Williams, and much beloved by the public.

Wiki says his son was a Sam Batty, played scrumhalf apparently.

• Advertisement

Wiki says his son was a Sam Batty, played scrumhalf apparently.

That's the bloke. Small but ridiculously powerful for his size especially at that level. Was old AIL Division 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

He was before my time, so as to speak (ie not even born!), but he was NZ's version of Shane Williams, and much beloved by the public
    By the NZ public.

JustinDee wrote: »
    By the NZ public.

Yes, by the NZ public Justin. Thought that was obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Yes, by the NZ public Justin. Thought that was obvious!
    I remember him well. I'd best not comment further as there are T&Cs not worth breaking on the subject of Grant Batty... :)

JustinDee wrote: »
    I remember him well. I'd best not comment further as there are T&Cs not worth breaking on the subject of Grant Batty... :)

You and your mysterious connections! I guess Batty goes in with Deaker & Rattue (fair enough for those 2).

I have no opinion on the matter, as I know nothing about Grant Batty, other than that he was a diminutive AB winger in the 70s, who threw into the lineout. Whether he was obnoxious etc, no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

The great Jean-Pierre Rives was a lineout throwing back row forward for France in the 70s and 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

ThisRegard wrote: »
    What the hell TG4, my recording ended at around 70 minutes, lucky for you your highlights are on now so I switched over at 52 minutes.

Yeah I never saw a match stopped as much. They musta been on the field "playing" for 100 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

It was an horrific game. I'm no expert on the "laws" but it seemed that most players did pretty much what they liked at breakdown/ruck time. It completely ruined the game. The scrums were a disgrace, thankfully I recorded it so FF was used lots. So what to take from it?. For me most noticeable thing was how poor a game Henshaw had. Like everybody I've great hopes for him, he is v young yes but a certain BOD was v young once and did not make as many errors as this guy. I'm giving him a mulligan he won't be as bad again. Olding showed me a small bit but he does appear to be a tad small for a 12 unlike Marshall. Zebo hardly got a touch, might 1 leg have been on the plane?. WTF with the lineouts, mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Olding showed me a small bit but he does appear to be a tad small for a 12 unlike Marshall.

Thats why i've always thought he looked more like a 13 and should be tried there, he's BOD like in stature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

I thought Olding's performance was at least something to take from the game. Classy and composed throughout.

Advertisement