Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

170k new! Surely not. Is that how much they cost in Ireland???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

170k new! Surely not. Is that how much they cost in Ireland???

That would have been around 80k stg fully kitted out in the UK. Id say around 130-140k in euros here with the extra taxes. Not quite 170 but not alot in it. I remember as a kid walking around this fairly young guy pulled up in the mid nineties in an S500 in light gold brand new and used to park in the same place. I thought he was God himself:) as I walked past it every day. That older gen S had an awfull alot more presence than this one but Im sure there are compensations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

mickyellow wrote: »

I raise you this:

3 years fresher, 6 moths tax, just €500 more (better colour IMO)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-s500-nct-03-14/5369341

Full-21625099.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

mullingar wrote: »
    I raise you this:

3 years fresher, 6 moths tax, just €500 more (better colour IMO)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2003-mercedes-s500-nct-03-14/5369341

5369341#

You have to appreciate just how good value for money that car is, fuel consumption and tax aside.

€3,500 for that? That's like getting a ten year old mansion for a 5er.

You have to appreciate just how good value for money that car is, fuel consumption and tax aside.

€3,500 for that? That's like getting a ten year old mansion for a 5er.

10 years old though, old model. Theres no prestige left in driving that. Anyone paying 150k for a new Merc is obviously willy waving . I saw a mid nineties s600 abandoned at the LUAS stop for a few months before it was towed off by luas people and scrapped likely. I had a brochure for that model of car. It said "S600-Built for people who are going places"

The reality of it was no one in their right mind wants one that cant afford it new for prestige. And the prestige is coming out of owning large gaz guzzlers.

Still great motors but very few people are going to run a v8 or a v12 these days new or old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I think there is an abundance of prestige left in that car.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

Another Celtic Tiger Merc. This time it's the CL600. Dealer claims that it was €135k new. Despite being 13 years old it still looks fresh

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cl-class-cl-600/5222071

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

lomb wrote: »
    And the prestige is coming out of owning large gaz guzzlers.

BS. Being prestige by definition means its a lot more expensive than an average car to buy and run so the average motorist cannot afford to buy new.

Every prestige car, new and old, will have terrible MPG with real world driving when compared to any econo boxes as you simply cannot have a small diesel economy in a 2+ tonne barge.

However, Luxonomics means buy a well made, well engineered, well specced, prestige car with all the toys for buttons of the new price and the depreciation saved will all go to the fuel/tax costs.

Stick an LPG kit into it and you will save nearly half on fuel costs.

I suppose its in the eye of the beholder.Id agree with you but I dont think many would. If they did then S classes /7 series would be trundling up and down the UK where tax is under 300 quid a year. Why isnt everyone driving a S 320CDI that will do 30+mpg any day of the week?
    Personally I couldnt give a monkeys what anyone thought , I appreciate good design. The S class has a lot of it and always had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I'm in this very market for a luxo barge....I'm like a dog with 10mickies....there's just so much out there. That 03 s500......jeez I'm thinking of it!

• Advertisement

Prestige Worldwide!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The LWB 500 is nice by you'd want to go over it with a fine tooth comb. In the pic of the lovely shiny shiny wheel there's a spot of rust on the arch. Mercs were notorious for rust around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

View2-21456701.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s80-t6/5335875

I think the S80 qualifies as a luxobarge :)

€2k, NCT just gone :( However, it's the T6! (2.8 twin turbo, 272 horsepower)

Sobanek wrote: »

I think the S80 qualifies as a luxobarge :)

Maybe its just me, but I dont think an S80 has any features that make it qualify as a luxobarge. I take it to mean a huge engined, behemoth of a car, dripping with every electronic gizmo under the sun. With an original price that was astronomical and way beyond the reaches of most folk, then when it nears 8-10 years old, its bargain basement prices. Its got to have that prestige factor, and an S80 certainly doesnt fit any of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Size-wise an S80 is roughly the same as an A6. Is an A6 considered a Luxobarge or would it have to be an A8?

I think there's a difference between a "barge" and a "luxobarge". I'd say the S80 is a barge alright but probably not a Luxobarge.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Size-wise an S80 is roughly the same as an A6. Is an A6 considered a Luxobarge or would it have to be an A8?

I think there's a difference between a "barge" and a "luxobarge". I'd say the S80 is a barge alright but probably not a Luxobarge.

Id say the A8 is exactly what defines a luxobarge, the A6 just doesnt cut the mustard.

Alright, fair enough. I apologise :)

Sobanek wrote: »
    Alright, fair enough. I apologise :)

Dont worry about it buddy, we all have our off days! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

rovoagho wrote: »
    No, I didn't.
    The indicators changed as part of the midlife refresh, they don't reflect msport status. And they didn't come with bodykits, just painted skirts and lower bumpers.

The chrome is probably the best indicator, msports with chrome are very rare, i.e. special order. I'd be very surprised if it's an msport. Still looks in good nick though.

Looks in good nick alright. But not a single Sport trait apart from the steering wheel, he's just trying to sweeten the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Good find that 728i, but what exactly is M-Sport about it? The chrome trim, orange indicators, standard wheels, no bodykit, standard suspension.... ??

Doubt it is a M Sport, it is a 728i. Surely if it was MSport it:confused: would be a 7501?

Perhaps it was specified with a few MSport features, Steering wheel, gear leveretc?

Either way it is a nice car for the noney:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

M Sport is a trim level, are you thinking of the ///M division?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

rocky wrote: »
    M Sport is a trim level, are you thinking of the ///M division?

Apologies, yes I am thiking of M Division:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Doubt it is a M Sport, it is a 728i. Surely if it was MSport it:confused: would be a 7501?

Perhaps it was specified with a few MSport features, Steering wheel, gear leveretc?

Either way it is a nice car for the noney:)

Back then the E38 was defined as just 'Sport', if it had the pack, equated to about £3500 more over base price, included exterior shadowline trim, smaller sport steering wheel, sport front seats, anthracite headliner, stiffer sport stuts, lower 0.8" springs in the front, 25% stiffer in the rear, 18" M-Pars or Style 32 alloys. ;)

You could argue the 740i was the only 'true' sport as it had the lower ratio 3.15 rear diff.

/E38 lesson

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Looks like one of the best deals on a genuine looking 7 series that ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

mickyellow wrote: »
    Another Celtic Tiger Merc. This time it's the CL600. Dealer claims that it was €135k new. Despite being 13 years old it still looks fresh

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-benz-cl-class-cl-600/5222071
    Typical, I was scouring the place for a CL600 last year, the few on offer over priced IMO (given their reliability reputation). This looks very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Typical, I was scouring the place for a CL600 last year, the few on offer over priced IMO (given their reliability reputation). This looks very interesting.

That was with a dealer in Dublin for 7.5k up to a couple of weeks ago. The cynic in me says there must be something seriously amiss at that price. I'd love to buy it and keep it for a year, I'd start a thread on it here so people could see whether I was in the poorhouse at the end.

Also, 135k new? Try 235k I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/maybach-62-6-0-s-4dr-auto-1-years-warr/5173286

Hmmmmm might put a cheeky little offer in for this myself.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Also, 135k new? Try 235k I'd say.
    Nah, the VRT Calc lists the original price as EUR162k, sounds about right.

Mind you, the current year/model CL has a EUR275k list price, but its at a much higher VRT % than in year 2000, so I dunno.
    http://cars.irishtimes.com/new-cars/7005008/mercedes-cl-class-5-5-cl-600-auto-sport/

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Nah, the VRT Calc lists the original price as EUR162k, sounds about right.

Mind you, the current year/model CL has a EUR275k list price, but its at a much higher VRT % than in year 2000, so I dunno.
    http://cars.irishtimes.com/new-cars/7005008/mercedes-cl-class-5-5-cl-600-auto-sport/

VAT and inflation went up as well since 2000.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Are they just selling the interior of the Maybach? Bizarre ad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement