Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

corktina wrote: »
    OF COURSE I was talking out me arse, it's what car fans do, á lá Clarkson and co.
    I wasn't really serious, it's just a "driving into the sunset" thing...sorry for any trouble caused.

It is a fine looking barge. Buy it , insure it and tax it for the months you need to drive it. Man, you will be like a prince driving around in that Jaaaaaaaaag!
    Enjoy:)

banie01 wrote: »
    My 9yo has decided that he must own that Jag!!!!
    Explaining that much and all as he likes to treat me like a chauffeur, I am fúcked if I'm gonna be paying €1800 a year in motor tax on top of the Insurance and maintenance costs aswell to give him the opportunity to make me wear a cap while he sits in the back....
    Just isn't happening!!!
    He is off to check his piggy bank as I type! haha

Once you buy the car you will have 0 depreciation to contend with, so it is only annual road tax fuel and servicing.

How much depreciation would you have over 12 months on a 132 Ford Focus?

In addition what is the cost of 12 months finance on a 132 Ford Focus? You still have to pay some road tax on the Focus!

Perhaps your son is right after all ?:)

Drive on Driver! No , we are taking the Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

looks hard to resist that Jaaaag (enogh a's?_)
    The economicscs can stack up if you are an old git like me with cheap insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

well at the minute i'm wafting around in an 2003 s-type i bought thru here a couple of months ago, loving it! had to replace the battery and afront wishbone thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I'm probably in the minority in not getting all excited about those old Jag's? I love the outside styling, so long & low ... but I just can't warm to the interior with that dull dash, huge gear-shift gate and slabby seats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

banie01 wrote: »
    My 9yo has decided that he must own that Jag!!!!
    Explaining that much and all as he likes to treat me like a chauffeur, I am fúcked if I'm gonna be paying €1800 a year in motor tax on top of the Insurance and maintenance costs aswell to give him the opportunity to make me wear a cap while he sits in the back....
    Just isn't happening!!!
    He is off to check his piggy bank as I type! haha

Classic insurance as its over 15 years. Tax her for 3 months, take her of the road until April next year and tax her again for 6 months.
    It's not a car you could drive everyday anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Scortho wrote: »
    Classic insurance as its over 15 years. Tax her for 3 months, take her of the road until April next year and tax her again for 6 months.
    It's not a car you could drive everyday anyway.

It's thirty years for classic insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

Depends on the insurer. It's 30yrs for Vintage Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

No - its not. Its down to individual insurers. Some are more than happy to have a 15 year old car on a classic, limited-mileage policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Top Dog wrote: »
    No - its not. Its down to individual insurers. Some are more than happy to have a 15 year old car on a classic, limited-mileage policy.

15 years is classic? its only been run in!! who classes 15 years old as classic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

00833827 wrote: »
    15 years is classic? its only been run in!! who classes 15 years old as classic?

A lot of insurance co's don't want to insure anything over 15 yrs old as a daily these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the Insurance Companies, but only in the case of a special prestigious car that obviously isn't a daily driver, such as a Roller or a Ferrari maybe, although i have heard of top-end Jaaaags getting it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

The X308 was a fine car, when I can afford a barge again I'll be going for an XJR100 if I can find a good one (with newish Brembos, you'd need the price of another car to replace them), or a late "standard" XJR if not.

(Only problem with XJRs was that all of the buyers had zero taste, trying to find one without a gross white interior is very difficult. Seriously, what kind of a langer wants a white interior?)

That being said, the NA XJ8 is a fine car, and the Sport, while smaller-engined, is great looking with the body-coloured trim. If I was looking for luxury more than oomph, that's actually the car I'd go for. They're classy out.

(X308 nerd)

corktina, nothing personal, I just don't like people (in general) that don't pay their motor tax, and I hate people that use the cost as a feeble excuse not to pay it. There's no arguing that it's overpriced, but it doesn't matter -- if they can't afford the tax, they can't afford the car.

No argument here about SORN, delighted to see it, despite the retarded Irish implementation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

rovoagho wrote: »
    You have to wonder how much lower our annual budget "corrections" would be if all of those on-off knackers had actually paid their motor tax.

You really think non-compliance is the reason for ever spiralling and extortionate motor tax? I'm not going to even bother arguing if that's your line of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

corktina wrote: »
    the Insurance Companies, but only in the case of a special prestigious car that obviously isn't a daily driver, such as a Roller or a Ferrari maybe, although i have heard of top-end Jaaaags getting it

It doesn't have to be special or prestigious. First Ireland will insure any BMW >15 years as long you have a daily driver. For some reason it's easier to insure German cars, Japanese are probably the most difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

JJJJNR wrote: »

Luxury??? Its got council estate rear windows!

Luxury??? Its got council estate rear windows!

Buy the JaaaaaaaaaaAaAag!:D

JJJJNR wrote: »

Nice......mmmmmmm! Back to the JaaaaaaaaaaAaaag! Drive around in a piece of motoring history not some French farmers garlic store, with council windows)

97 Renault Safrane vs. 98 Jaguar Xj8 . In the words of Clarkson " it has to be the Jaaaaaaaaag"

You really think non-compliance is the reason for ever spiralling and extortionate motor tax?

No, I don't, and it doesn't say that anywhere in my post. You quoted it, weren't you able to read it?
    kuro2k wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be special or prestigious. First Ireland will insure any BMW >15 years as long you have a daily driver. For some reason it's easier to insure German cars, Japanese are probably the most difficult

My understanding is that FI will insure anything over 15 years on a limited mileage policy AS a daily driver, unlike the other classic insurers that require the older car to be IN ADDITION to a regular car on another policy.

That's the impression I got when Matt Simis and others have mentioned it in the past, and it's what I'm hoping is the case as I intend going to them for a quote next year on my 17 year old, which only did around 4k miles this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

kuro2k wrote: »

Don't have to have daily (just increases classic quote by 20%) and they will insure some stuff at 13years old+ !

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭kuro2k

My understanding is that FI will insure anything over 15 years on a limited mileage policy AS a daily driver, unlike the other classic insurers that require the older car to be IN ADDITION to a regular car on another policy.

That's the impression I got when Matt Simis and others have mentioned it in the past, and it's what I'm hoping is the case as I intend going to them for a quote next year on my 17 year old, which only did around 4k miles this year.

First Ireland will require proof of a daily on another policy or your new FI policy will get loaded if you don't and I have heard of people having problems insuring japanase cars as classics with them

Matt Simis alway has 3 or 4 cars going at the same time and are nearly always German. IMO if you want the rock bottom rate you will also

What type of car are you planning to insure with them next year

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Full-21142311.jpeg

This looks clean.
    BMW 728

phelant wrote: »
    Full-21142311.jpeg

This looks clean.
    BMW 728

Looks the real deal. One owner.......

Yes, one could drive about in a nice luxobarge for small €'s:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

rovoagho wrote: »
    No, I don't, and it doesn't say that anywhere in my post. You quoted it, weren't you able to read it?

Though you did. You said you wonder how much lower the year-on-year budget increases would be if 'knackers' paid their motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Good find that 728i, but what exactly is M-Sport about it? The chrome trim, orange indicators, standard wheels, no bodykit, standard suspension.... ??

Though you did. You said you wonder how much lower the year-on-year budget increases would be if 'knackers' paid their motor tax.

No, I didn't.
    Good find that 728i, but what exactly is M-Sport about it? The chrome trim, orange indicators, standard wheels, no bodykit, standard suspension...??

The indicators changed as part of the midlife refresh, they don't reflect msport status. And they didn't come with bodykits, just painted skirts and lower bumpers.

The chrome is probably the best indicator, msports with chrome are very rare, i.e. special order. I'd be very surprised if it's an msport. Still looks in good nick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

That 7er has sooo much want...... So much

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Thats a steal for 3k and nearly 8 months tax too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement