Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LUXOBARGE (sub5k) of the week/day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Top Dog wrote: »
    Lancia dash is one of the most random posts I've seen in a while. No link. No explanation. I'll just leave this here. :pac:

Thank you!
    The newer model 300c was badged as the Lancia Thema on mainland Europe after Fiat and Chrysler amalgamated

This :)

I'm kind of morbidly fascinated by the 300c.

It's a brutish design, you get the taxi drivers boasting about their "Bentley grill", someone else actually "rebadging" their 300c with a Bentley badge off ebay and a bit of sellotape, AND it's branded as a Lancia in Europe.

And is it even a Luxobarge?

The whole thing is... well, morbidly fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 300c is still sold in the US brand new today and shares it's underpinnings with the Dodge Charger and Challenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Wasn't there crazy waiting lists for the 300C here when it first came out around 2006? It looked good at the time IMO, but had a nasty interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I considered one at the time before coming to my senses and opting for an e61 535d.
    They (300c) are surely designed to look like a barge and handle as such from my brief test drive, but unless sold with the non SRT V8 they do not fulfill the luxo part of luxobarge for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I Was VB wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/view/26673784

Awful fit and finish, constantly going through suspension bushes, but fairly reliable underpinnings?

Could ya be tempted to buy a €1400 Chrysler 300c?

Someone bought it.
    I like them. Drove an 07 for a while.
    Remind me of a mafia staff car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,412 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Trojan wrote: »
    The OG
    4043463632_8845292011.jpg

I know fellas who flew to New York especially to buy those grills.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I know fellas who flew to New York especially to buy those grills.;)

thats the most 2006/7 thing I've heard in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

KevRossi wrote: »
    Wasn't there crazy waiting lists for the 300C here when it first came out around 2006? It looked good at the time IMO, but had a nasty interior.

IIRC, in the UK at least, they were worth MORE than new list price when fresh second hand, as the waiting list was so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭handofdog

IIRC, in the UK at least, they were worth MORE than new list price when fresh second hand, as the waiting list was so long.

You're spot on. Same here (ie in Ireland) in either 2006 or 2007. I spoke to someone at the time who bought one then and they could have sold at profit. Mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

I don’t like them in either guise.

It does give off a certain energy that isn’t really desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭jmreire

Did they use the Mercedes Benz engine and transmission, at least in some of them? And possibly some other MB bits and bobs as well? If so, then at least the drive line should be OK.

jmreire wrote: »
    Did they use the Mercedes Benz engine and transmission, at least in some of them? And possibly some other MB bits and bobs as well? If so, then at least the drive line should be OK.

I think that was a great rumour dealers of these and ssangyongs spread around in those days, saying it was the same solid mere lump out of the w220 s320d , in reality the ssangyong was some Chinese copy and no idea what was in this.

I think that was a great rumour dealers of these and ssangyongs spread around in those days, saying it was the same solid mere lump out of the w220 s320d , in reality the ssangyong was some Chinese copy and no idea what was in this.

300c diesel had an om642 Merc engine.... No rumour, fact. They were under the same ownership at the time iirc.

Ssangyong had Merc diesel engines built under license not by Mercedes.

Augeo wrote: »
    300c diesel had an om642 Merc engine.... No rumour, fact. They were under the same ownership at the time iirc.

there we go, well atleast it was a genuine one in the 300c. Solid lump. Wouldn't trust a yank diesel thats not some giant cummins.

Reason I asked was because during a chance encounter with a Chrysler 300c owner in the local Lidl car park and we got chatting. He was very happy with it, especially the fact that it had MB engine and 5 speed auto matic transmission, and he had just driven it all the way from London ( pre Covid ), and it was not the 1st time either, lovely car for long long drives. And the gear shift was identical to the one MB use. So I am just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Augeo wrote: »

Ssangyong did have a Mercedes engine, if you look at some of the older SSangyong's for sale the average mileage is up there with the best of them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I did a little bit of digging on the subject of Chrysler using Mercedes engines, and I found some very interesting facts about not only Chrysler using MB parts, but other manufacturer's as well including Tesla..Chrysler did use the MB OM642, but later on built their own version of the same engine under MB Licence, called the Rexon, and it was very successful too.
    Hereunder is the link to the to the site I was on, have a look if anyone likes.

Five carmakers using Mercedes-Benz bits | Stuff.co.nzwww.stuff.co.nz › motoring › five-carmakers-using-merc...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chrysler were not just using Mercedes bits in some of their models. Daimler acquired Chrysler back in the late 1990s to form the company Daimler Chrysler. Daimler then flogged Chrysler to Fiat hence the 300c being later rebadged as a Lancia Thema.

Ssangyong did have a Mercedes engine, if you look at some of the older SSangyong's for sale the average mileage is up there with the best of them.

Yes.............. I said Ssangyong had Merc diesel engines built under license not by Mercedes...........further detail.......... https://mercedes-benz-publicarchive.com/marsClassic/en/instance/ko/SsangYong-licensed-production-of-commercial-vehicle-diesel-engines.xhtml?oid=4912653bo variants"

Mercedes-Benz AG and South Korea's SsangYong Motor Company (SYMC) sign a cooperation agreement which provides for the manufacture under licence of six and eight-cylinder commercial vehicle diesel engines at SsangYong in South Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Nobody wants to look upon any old Ssangyong, expecially that effin Rodius

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Okeydokey, thanks for letting me know how everyone feels.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

The Musso was a great workhorse, I know of two still on the road that have received huge abuse and there were a fair few around 10 years ago. Poor fitting, rattly interior, but the rest was good.

Enough chat, more barge!

LS 460, NCT to 05/21. €4800.

Claims car has no dents, front reg plate begs to differ.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/lexus-ls460/26181591

ZjAxMTkxNmQ4NmY0NzY4NmIzNzRhNGIyYjUwZDFjMDMbadD1rIf-La7b7-DNbTzMaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjMzNDYxMzN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That was for sale much cheaper than that a few months ago local to me, I'd be giving it a wide berth!

460 is a bit meh I think yes I know it's a V8 but found the GS much nicer to cruise in.

I was actually going to post that earlier to try and break up the sh1te talk...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-s500-lwb/26439193
    N2YxMjE2ZmZmNzMzM2M2YWM3M2ZkZmIxMWVlMTg4MjILNccESLySHaZDaHpTXjdKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjE2MTk3ODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Its been facelifted by the owner, pics are bad but it looks clean.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/cayenne-new-nct/26164465
    ODQ4ZGQwZDY1ZDA3MDE4NGNmMDBiNjcyMGI2YmQ3Yjdt-I_z9SGBA3LnS-Eh8F4taHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTg0NzM5OTR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
    A 4.5 Cayenne thats pretty fully loaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/merc-s500-lwb/26439193
    N2YxMjE2ZmZmNzMzM2M2YWM3M2ZkZmIxMWVlMTg4MjILNccESLySHaZDaHpTXjdKaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjE2MTk3ODN8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Its been facelifted by the owner, pics are bad but it looks clean.

Lot of car for the money. Just to note though, that spot looks very familiar, think that guy sells Luxobarges fairly regularly.

Lot of car for the money. Just to note though, that spot looks very familiar, think that guy sells Luxobarges fairly regularly.

ODczZGRiMjJjN2Q3ZjhhNmY0YmU2MmQ5MDhjNzgxYTCJBV7jd_FNDo22zRoIl8BjaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjE2MTk3ODR8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Photo can't be recent......... full leaf clad deciduous trees.
    Must have it a few months anyway :)

• Advertisement

2007 3.0 Petrol. New NCT to 01/22, Tax 04/21. Looks the business in that colour, though I'd prefer a lighter interior.

€4,750, so under €4K when you haggle a bit and take the tax into account.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/jaguar-xj6-3-0-petrol-automatic/26660288

ZmNjODYwNjIxOTA4YmRjMGIwMjkzNzE5ZTkwMmZhMTJIeeXWQMCpO8huV6xdnJgnaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNjM4NDY1MTJ8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement