Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 Episode 9: Have NOT read the books/BEWARE SPOILERS MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I've read he books but even still it was just as shocking as when I read it. Was walking around unable to believe it for a good half hour after I read it. How unexpected and unnecessarily brutal it was (Not unnecessary as in it shouldn't have been in the book but in the way that the Freys chose to do it). At least non-readers can now talk to readers about one of the huge turning points in the book...... at least until the Maroon Communion and Burgundy Bar-Mitzva and Cyan Ceili anyway (JK).

Just a question for the NON readers: Did ANYONE see it coming? I'm not being smug, I certainly did NOT see that coming. Was just wondering.

To change the subject to other parts of that episode: I LOVED every scene with Arya and The Hound. Brilliantly written and acted and the first scene (What I call the terminator 2 scene) with the trader was great. The look on the Hound's face after Arya beans the trader was priceless.

Fantastic episode. One thing though. They're going to have to shake up the formula a little bit: After three seasons people now know that the second-last episode is going to be the one where everything changes. They need to get out of that to keep people on their toes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

oh my god :eek: im speechless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

well color me ****ing speechless. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 53,933 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You know im probably in the minority but im fair pissed off that my favourite characters are dead. Puts me right off the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Just a question for the NON readers: Did ANYONE see it coming? I'm not being smug, I certainly did NOT see that coming. Was just wondering.

I for one didn't see it coming at all. I thought they were going to skim through the wedding and have a massive assault on Casterley Rock- a Blackwater Bay style battle, or I was expecting an attack by the Wildlings on Castle Black.

I didn't trust Bolton at all though, I did think that he would betray them in some way although not as dramatically as that. Robb seemed like such a strong figure last season but ever since he married Talisa I did think that that would be his downfall- I thought it would be more to do with his followers losing confidence in him and trickling away rather than a shytkicking massacre like that.

One thing- was it just the Stark men who were killed or those loyal to them too. If all of the Stark's bannermen have been turned against them then what are the implications for Rickon and Osha when they show up looking for asylum to the Umbers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I always expect someone to get killed off, but that was quite the sweep. That said, they've established that death isn't permanent, the guy with the eye patch whose name I've forgotten was brought back. Is an army of zombies too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

One thing though. They're going to have to shake up the formula a little bit: After three seasons people now know that the second-last episode is going to be the one where everything changes. They need to get out of that to keep people on their toes

It's a pretty standard thing for the last episode of any show's seasons to be a big end or cliffhanger. I liek the way Game of Thrones does the big end, then the wrap up in the last episode :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

To change the subject to other parts of that episode: I LOVED every scene with Arya and The Hound. Brilliantly written and acted and the first scene (What I call the terminator 2 scene) with the trader was great. The look on the Hound's face after Arya beans the trader was priceless.
    Arya is a great character and the actress who plays her is very talented. The scenes with the Hound are awesome but not as awesome as her scenes with Tywin last season. She has great chemistry with really formidable characters and actually makes total c**ts seem human and likeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

**** me pink with a whitewash brush. I am speechless after watching that :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Telchak wrote: »
    It's a pretty standard thing for the last episode of any show's seasons to be a big end or cliffhanger. I liek the way Game of Thrones does the big end, then the wrap up in the last episode :P
    Oh I know, I love the wrap-up/fallout episode too. I'm just saying that the format is getting a bit predictable. They need to shake the format up a bit. Throw something in the first few episodes, or have a musical number or an animated episode :D. Nah, just saying that everyone knows that Episode 9's where it's at at this stage.
    Paddy Cow wrote:
    Arya is a great character and the actress who plays her is very talented. The scenes with the Hound are awesome but not as awesome as her scenes with Tywin last season. She has great chemistry with really formidable characters and actually makes total c**ts seem human and likeable.

Those scenes were some of my favourites of all of last season. LOVED them. Especially the whole "M'lud/My Lord" scene. Fantastic actress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I thought Robb's wife was doomed from when they first went before Frey, but the slaughter was a bit much. With Robb dead, I feel like I've been reading a book and suddenly the last half is missing, and what the hell do I read now? There's no King of the North anymore. The hell...

Arya is my favorite character, but she can't carry a story about battling kingdoms. So what now?

Did it bother anyone else that Bran saw his brother outside and didn't seem to care? "Oh, btw, saw Jon Snow. Yeah, he left."

Also, that Second Sons guy, I hope he dies. If he gets with the Queen of Dragons, I will not be happy. Smug pretty-boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Well that was something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

For some reason I really thought that Catelyn threatening Frey's wife would result in at least one of them escaping. I thought she might have at least not killed the wife- she was an innocent party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭snausages

Great episode but I'm beginning to see where some of the criticism of the series' author comes in. There are only so many twists and turns you can take before you alienate your audience. I hope the series doesn't lose momentum now. I know we're only halfway through the third book (not a reader myself) but the comments I've heard about books 4 and 5 make me worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Well, that was violent even for Game Of Thrones. Was impressed with Catelyn's balls-out aggression; it takes some ferocity to react to the massacre of your family by grabbing your host's wife and threatening to cut her throat. No shock, no panic, just identify the best chance of survival and stick a knife to its neck. Maybe Winterfell would have done better if she'd taken charge, patriarchal aristocracy be damned.

That said, some of the storylines are beginning to drag. Bran's been on the road for bloody ever, and where are the damn White Walkers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I had expected that Robb's wife was going to turn out to be a spy, because I didn't see what other purpose she served in the story. I wonder what will happen to Robb's uncle who married the Frey girl. And Catelyn's uncle went for a leak just before the bedding ceremony; he might be still knocking around somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Hiwazup

Dayyum Robb would have done much better for himself had he married the Frey girl, she was a right beour! :p And he wouldn't of died and stuff too of course. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

....I wasn't prepared for that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

XRhMQIJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Walder Frey is a twisted old f*ck! Roose Bolton is a sly one too, really hope they get their comeuppance but the way this show has gone I wouldn't be so sure, the "bad guys" seem to get away with everything! I'd thought something might have happened Rob from a couple of vague things I'd heard, but certainly not in this manner and to have the Starks ripped apart further, really wondering what way that leaves things. Will Edmure be killed in his room or will he be kept alive? Where did Catelyn's uncle(can't remember his name) go, did he escape and will he seek revenge?

Elsewhere interesting seeing Bran control the direwolves, if he develops that skill further that will be a real weapon, and I wonder where Jon is gone now he's left the Wildlings. Also, great to see a bit of Grey Worm in action!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Wow, just wow. Brilliant episode and a reminder of how brutal this show can be. Even without reading the books, I predicted Ned's death in season 1 from a long way off, he was just too noble for his own good, but this episode took me completely by surprise. I had high hopes for Robb learning from his father's mistakes, but in the end he fell into a similar trap.
    Roll on next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Well, that was violent even for Game Of Thrones. Was impressed with Catelyn's balls-out aggression; it takes some ferocity to react to the massacre of your family by grabbing your host's wife and threatening to cut her throat. No shock, no panic, just identify the best chance of survival and stick a knife to its neck. Maybe Winterfell would have done better if she'd taken charge, patriarchal aristocracy be damned.

That said, some of the storylines are beginning to drag. Bran's been on the road for bloody ever, and where are the damn White Walkers?

Don't worry, winter IS coming....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

GerB40 wrote: »
    Don't worry, winter IS coming....

it's come and gone for nearly all the starks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭paulgeog

NaDBK5n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Anyone else reminded of the ridiculous fight scene in the restaurant in Kill Bill?? Haha. That was an incredible ending though! I always said they needed to kill off a few characters to let things move along a bit faster but christ I was expecting a slaughter of that magnitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Out of all the tv shows I ever watched, Lost, 24, The Sopranos, etc. etc. I don't think I've ever been so stunned after an episode. Most tv shows are fairly predictable or don't go mad killing off numerous main characters but this is a first! I never saw it coming at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭abff

Where did you all see this episode? It doesn't air until 9 p.m. on Sky Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

abff wrote: »
    Where did you all see this episode? It doesn't air until 9 p.m. on Sky Atlantic.

If you haven't seen the episode, you probably shouldn't be reading this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

abff wrote: »

We all have weekly flights booked to and from the US, we get a board discount for group booking.

Advertisement