Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 3 Episode 9: Have NOT read the books/BEWARE SPOILERS MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

That was one of the most devastating pieces of TV drama that I've ever seen. It didn't a make sense to me that Frey would just roll over about Robb's betrayal in the way he seemed to be doing, but still... Actually thought that he might keep Catelynn alive.

Watched an episode of Arrested Development afterwards and I can't remember a thing that happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Kiwi_knock
    So is Tyrion now the Lord of Winterfell?
    lynski wrote: »
    Possibly, or maybe just his son if he manages to somehow impregnate sensa, or Until someone figures out bran is alive, as males inherit first, unless Lysa's boy has a claim ahead of a stark daughter?

From what I can gather the line of succession after Robb is Bran, Rickon, Sansa(making Tyrion Lord of Winterfell), Arya (with Walder Freys son/grandson as Lord, presuming he now has the power to enforce the match?).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

On the other story of the night, gutted for Ser Jorah , seeing model boy swoop in and having Khaleesi fancying him. Thought his expressions were great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

On the other story of the night, gutted for Sidura, seeing model boy swoop in and having Khaleesi fancying him. Thought his expressions were great

Ser Jorah?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Anachrony

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    From what I can gather the line of succession after Robb is Bran, Rickon, Sansa(making Tyrion Lord of Winterfell), Arya

But as far as anyone knows Bran and Rickon are dead. That leaves Sansa, which is why the Tyrells and Lannisters both wanted to marry her. And if Bran and Rickon did turn up, without an army to protect them, the Lannisters could make sure they are taken care of more permanently.

• Advertisement

Is everyone ok? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Is everyone ok? :p

No they'ye all dead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Got goosebumps when the Rains Of Castamere began playing. :(

Keep seeing this mentioned. It's a song, right? What's its significance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

wilkie2006 wrote: »

Its a song about tywin wiping out a family that screwed the lannisters over. Was explained by Cersei at tyrion and sansas wedding

When you heard this song you should have known the shit was going to hit the fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

"The Lannisters send their regards". That's a line that could well enter popular usage.

So with Robb dead, Renley dead and Stannis defeated, and the Kaleesii seemingly content to spend her time liberating slaves and building a nice empire for herself in a sunnier climate does that leave the Lannisters victorious in the war? Are we now looking at the war between the humans and the zombie like white walkers taking over the story? I hope not as the medieval politics are far more interesting than the fantasy element.

It's a great song by the National.

It's also known as the Lannister song, there's a scene in a bar in King's Landing before the Battle of Blackwater Bay, where Bronn sings it with a bunch of lads, AFAIR the dialogue is something to the effect of 'how do you know the Lannister song?' to which Bronn replies 'Drinking with Lannisters'. Cersei explains the meaning to Margery in the previous episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭wayne040576

So just out of curiosity. Will this episode persuade anyone here to start reading the books in order to find out what happens next?
    I know that's what I did after season 1 and I pretty much went through them all in six months.
    But that's because I have no patience :)

So just out of curiosity. Will this episode persuade anyone here to start reading the books in order to find out what happens next?
    I know that's what I did after season 1 and I pretty much went through them all in six months.
    But that's because I have no patience :)

I've started the first book with the chapter a day thread but I've got long haul air travel coming up so I'm expecting to horse through the rest of that in a 36hr period! As well as not wanting to wait to find out what happens I'm incredibly paranoid about having stuff spoiled for me, it will be nice to not have that hanging over me next season. Also they're very well written, I was expecting them to be pot boilers but there's some lovely language in them too.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

lynski wrote: »
    Possibly, or maybe just his son if he manages to somehow impregnate sensa, or Until someone figures out bran is alive, as males inherit first, unless Lysa's boy has a claim ahead of a stark daughter?
    From what I can gather the line of succession after Robb is Bran, Rickon, Sansa(making Tyrion Lord of Winterfell), Arya (with Walder Freys son/grandson as Lord, presuming he now has the power to enforce the match?).
    Pretty much. Lysa's son is an Arryn/Tully, he doesn't come into the Stark equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I don't care once the Mother of Dragons get's to take back her Castle and kill all the Lannister's

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I watched this early yesterday but I'm late to the game to discuss since it was a savage day out. I was distraught, what an ending! It was extremely well made and a complete shock. I'm glad that I've done so well at keeping away from book spoilers, I knew Season 3 was to have a lot of main character deaths but I didn't expect one foul swoop of such characters. Wow is all I can say.

I cannot wait to see the finale.

Wonder what position this leaves Sansa in now. She's no longer someone they need to keep 'hostage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Headshot wrote: »
    You know im probably in the minority but im fair pissed off that my favourite characters are dead. Puts me right off the show.

I'm feeling a bit like this too. Sure Robb wasn't given as much cool scenes as Jon or some of the other characters but I liked him a lot. I also liked the Starks as a House. Although Bran got a lot more interesting in this episode, I have difficulty getting behind the character. Call me a traditionalist but I was looking forward to Robb vs. Tywin on the battlefield. I won't stop watching because of this though as there are still plenty of other plots to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

The last episode will probably be some letdown compared to this. A tidy up affair I'd say setting the story for next season. I hope im wrong though.

touts wrote: »
    So with Robb dead, Renley dead and Stannis defeated, and the Kaleesii seemingly content to spend her time liberating slaves and building a nice empire for herself in a sunnier climate does that leave the Lannisters victorious in the war? Are we now looking at the war between the humans and the zombie like white walkers taking over the story? I hope not as the medieval politics are far more interesting than the fantasy element.

IMO Stannis is still a player- I'd almost forgotten about his burning leeches curse on the various usurpers when Robb got spliced. He's plotting something away there on Dragonstone, its a pity he didn't direct his vitriol towards the Lannisters rather than Joffery. The Tyrells also have something up their sleeves I'd wager- Cersei has made herself a few enemies there. I'd say beneath the simpering smiles and fancy manners they can be as ruthless as the Lannisters. Mance Rayder's army are also a consideration, as are the Brotherhood without Banners. Bran has also become more important to the larger political story. In the aftermath of the shake up there are a lot of upwardly mobile lords sniffing about for their piece of the pie- Bolton, Frey, maybe even the Karstarks, and of course Littlefinger are going to try to wring something out of the sh1tstorm for themselves. And then there's Daeneres amassing a vast army of freed slaves in the south. I think that there are plenty of politics to be getting on with.

Myself I'm interested in the political angle but I also think that the fact that winter, and the walkers, are in fact coming is going to have implications for everyone involved. Aside from the threat of the walkers, the fact that half the able-bodied men have been off trying to kill the other half during the harvest might impact on how prepared they are for what is forecast to be a long and cruel winter. This was alluded to in a scene in one of the earlier seasons where Bran is acting as lord of Winterfell and a peasant asks for help to bring in his harvest. For me this is a far bigger reality than squabbling nobles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Liam O wrote: »
    apparently he went for a piss before the bedding.

Typical aul fella :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

Arya's reaction!:pac:

Wonder what position this leaves Sansa in now. She's no longer someone they need to keep 'hostage'.

On the contrary she becomes even more crucial. Previously everyone was vying for her so that in the eventuality that Robb was killed (bearing in mind that no one but Theon, Cleftjaw, and the broomsweep sadist know that Bran and Rickon are still alive) she would inherit Winterfell. Now, as far as the vast majority of the realm is concerned, she IS heiress to Winterfell she becomes an even more important hostage. I wondered at Tyrion's refusal of a bedding ceremony and respect of her wishes as regards consummating the marriage...this probably means it would be relatively easy to annull the marriage? I think it was Frey who mentioned something about this in this episode- that the deal isn't sealed til they actually do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

ConFurioso wrote: »
    https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

Arya's reaction!:pac:

I was thinking about how the producers etc pitched the parts to their respective actors the other day:
    Well, Sean, you're the main part in season one...... well, when I say season one I mean most of season one before we kill you off brutally.

Richard, you're going to be one of the main parts, the noble warrior and obvious fantasy-book hero for season 2-3.... well when I say season 2-3 I mean most of season 2-3 before we kill you off brutally.

Michelle, you're going to be the proud wife/mother of the noble Starks....... Well.....

Maisie, you're going to be the youngest daughter, in the shadow of her prettier and more graceful sister and hunky, heroic brothers and father and proud and noble mother ........ BUT hang in there Maisie 'cos yer badass!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Who actually planned the killings? Was it Frey and Bolton together or was it the Lannisters who got them on board? Do the Lannisters know that the Bolton's are handing over Jaime , I am not sure if they would have known that Bolton was willing to betray the Starks. So am wondering if the killings were a move by Bolton and Frey to prove loyalty to the King so as to ensure they are left alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭touts

On the contrary she becomes even more crucial. Previously everyone was vying for her so that in the eventuality that Robb was killed (bearing in mind that no one but Theon, Cleftjaw, and the broomsweep sadist know that Bran and Rickon are still alive) she would inherit Winterfell. Now, as far as the vast majority of the realm is concerned, she IS heiress to Winterfell she becomes an even more important hostage. I wondered at Tyrion's refusal of a bedding ceremony and respect of her wishes as regards consummating the marriage...this probably means it would be relatively easy to annull the marriage? I think it was Frey who mentioned something about this in this episode- that the deal isn't sealed til they actually do it?

I suspect she will have a Lannister baby to secure Winterfell for the Lannisters and then be swiftly done away with. If Tyrion won't do the deed I suspect Joffrey will or possibly even Tyrwin himself.

I still dont think the lannisters will make it out of the season only after losing a hand :D

Surely they have to lose somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Who actually planned the killings? Was it Frey and Bolton together or was it the Lannisters who got them on board? Do the Lannisters know that the Bolton's are handing over Jaime , I am not sure if they would have known that Bolton was willing to betray the Starks. So am wondering if the killings were a move by Bolton and Frey to prove loyalty to the King so as to ensure they are left alone.

I'd say the Lannisters knew they could buy Bolton, his story about being given his choice of Frey's daughters with a dowry of their weight in gold so he picked the fattest one probably sums up the type of person he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe Tywin Lannister did not have a hand in all this.

In fact his strategy over the last few months in the Westeros world looks genius now, if he is behind it all (and with all those letters he was writing and firm promises to Joffrey that he had everything in hand it seems likely). Robb was proving his better in military tactics so he concentrated on avoiding battles, dragged out the war and go to work getting Robb's bannermen to backstab him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭royster999

Interesting to see Baelish's position on this given his affection for Catylyn

Advertisement