Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Doctor

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Bloody brilliant!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Should make for an interesting new Doctor, who will give the character a couple of new shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

As much as I'm a wee bit grumpy I am happ that the creepy romance things with the companions will end!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yea it was nice when donna and the doctor were just friends

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I reckon the show will get much darker now, a little less flamboyant and physical actor, but a great choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

bradyle wrote: »
    As much as I'm a wee bit grumpy I am happ that the creepy romance things with the companions will end!

Or just get creepier...........

Will make for interesting viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Hooray.... I like this choice. I like the more mature looking doctor. I think he should do well. Also got that slightly strange air to him.

eVjbPKTl.jpg

Witchie wrote: »
    Or just get creepier...........

Will make for interesting viewing.

This is not allowed

Actually I was thinking about Neil Gaimans quote about the doctor...and we are all assuming he'll come play the hard tough man he usually does....so kinda going against the quote of I want someone who I can never see being the doctor....but what if he played it totally opposite...really nice friendly...the shock!

This is not allowed

Actually I was thinking about Neil Gaimans quote about the doctor...and we are all assuming he'll come play the hard tough man he usually does....so kinda going against the quote of I want someone who I can never see being the doctor....but what if he played it totally opposite...really nice friendly...the shock!

Yep, and he did hint at a more gentlemenly doctor when responding to his character in 'The Thick of it', saying something like 'the 12th doctor wouldn't put up with that kind of language'. Something of the sort anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Important question #1: will he keep his accent? It's quite unique and id hate to think theyll anglicize it again ala Tennant.

• Advertisement

gufnork wrote: »
    Yep, and he did hint at a more gentlemenly doctor when responding to his character in 'The Thick of it', saying something like 'the 12th doctor wouldn't put up with that kind of language'. Something of the sort anyway.

Exactly!! Eveyone sees him and assumes we're gong to get a darker more angry/cynical doctor (so did I) but thats just his latest character...he's a ctually quite a varied actor...we shouldnt presume!!

Yes, it would be great if he played it gentlemanly. I'd really like to see that.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Important question #1: will he keep his accent? It's quite unique and id hate to think theyll anglicize it again ala Tennant.

I wondered that myself. Gonna be a long wait to find out.

Or maybe it'll just be that bit creepier! *shudder*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Sonics2k wrote: »
    To be fair, Matt and maybe David were the only younger ones.

All the others have ranged from late 30s to near 70s.

The Doctor isn't about age or looks after all.

Peter Davison was 29 when he took over. William Hartnell was 55.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

gufnork wrote: »
    Or maybe it'll just be that bit creepier! *shudder*

Is it the idea of a 900 year old alien romancing younger ladies? He is a grandfather, after all... ;)

Or is it the thought of an actor in his 50s having a romantic side?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The tense wait for a new Doctor has been replaced by a heavy 'get on the telly already, lad.'

I am very, very keen to see what Mr. Capaldi does with the role.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This is not allowed

Peter Capaldi is an incredibly versatile, talented character actor; it would be a huge mistake to assume that because of Malcolm Tucker alone, we're going to see a tougher, harsher Doctor. I don't think this will be the case at all - I suspect we'll see a more paternal, nurturing approach from #12 (which may put more emphasis on Coleman as the audience surrogate), but yes, if and when the 'alien' aspect of the Doctor's personality will be required, Capaldi has the chops to turn on a time and be cold/distant. I think this is an inspired choice by all involved.

I see rumblings from some quarters already, despairing that the new Doctor is older & not attractive. I hope this all doesn't backfire because of this shallow demographic ... :eek:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to the news on this, so sorry if this is already common knowledge, but will Clara be leaving with 11? I can't imagine Colemen and Capaldi meshing well. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but right now my instinct is that I'd prefer to see a more mature companion alongside 12. Someone about Donna's age.
    campo wrote: »
    He was in Torchwood wasn't he

And utterly fantastic in it. He was so good that even though all we could see was a door, the pause between the 3rd and the 4th shot absolutely slayed me.:(

He was also in an episode of Who a few years ago, the father of the family in Pompeii who the Doctor and Donna saved.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent choice. I'm glad they had the courage to go with an older Doctor and ignore the idiots who think the Doctor needs to be young.

Capaldi will be able to bring the rage - absolutely - but I reckon he'll be great at the avuncular side. I can see him being closest to Pertwee in that regard doing a sort of Jo Grant relationship with Clara. He's more than capable of pulling off kind and will do it just as well as cutting sarcasm. Having said that I'm looking forward to him putting down. And please keep the accent - don't tone it down just to sell it to the US market.

Notice on Google now that as soon as I type in Peter it auto-suggests Peter Capaldi. A lot of people looking him up now and I reckon a few people, particularly those unfamiliar with him (such as Americans) will be horrified if they sample his work from "The Thick of It" :D

• Advertisement

iguana wrote: »
    I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to the news on this, so sorry if this is already common knowledge, but will Clara be leaving with 11? I can't imagine Colemen and Capaldi meshing well. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but right now my instinct is that I'd prefer to see a more mature companion alongside 12. Someone about Donna's age.

Nope, Clara's going to be around for #12 - and I'm glad too. I think it's important to keep continuity during the regeneration, especially with such a potentially divisive Doctor as this one. It makes it easier for the audience to accept the new Doc if the companion is going through the same turmoil and confusion that the audience potentially is, and at the end of the day Dr. Who is still a family show - Clara should be kept for the demographic that's in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im actually going to watch some of the next season now. smith killed it for me. well, smith and moffat but hopefully capaldi will make it all worthwhile.

Interesting fact nugget: as a young fella, Capaldi was in a punk band with Craig Ferguson, the US chatshow host & unapologetic Who fanboy (seriously, he never misses a chance to big up Who on his show)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Thought it was an awful choice - for all of 5 minutes.

I like the fact he's older.... hopefully they will 'typecast' him and make the show less 'wibbly-wobbly' zany... more cynical, with no tacked on, tacky romance angles to the Doctor-Companion relationship.

And, even better, he'll probably only be the Doctor for a season or two... all-in-all, I'm looking forward to it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

old hippy wrote: »
    Peter Davison was 29 when he took over. William Hartnell was 55.
    Tom Baker was 40 IIRC. Funny enough to me as a kid he didn't seem "old", as 40 year old will to kids. :)
    old hippy wrote: »
    Is it the idea of a 900 year old alien romancing younger ladies? He is a grandfather, after all... ;)
    Actually that for me OH, sitting down to watch New Who having grown up with the original doc was an interesting dynamic with Eccleston and Piper's Doc/companion vibe. He was clearly an "older man" and she was a teenage girl and it was alluded to in the show itself. IIRC Her ma smacked him for "picking her up off the internet" as a 45 year old. Then he tells Rose he's 900 years old and she comes back with "that's a big age gap".

The Tennant/Piper dynamic while OK in spots was far less "ehhhhh hang on..." because of his cuteness(even though he wasn't that much younger than eccy). It was straight up and obvious "love's young dream". Eccy and Piper if he had stuck around would have been far more interesting a dynamic dramatically IMH. More like a kinda bromance with an extra and slightly uncomfortable undertow. One that wouldn't have gotten in the way so much as it later did in spots.

Imagine that beach scene(can't recall which episode) where Rose declares she loves the Doc, only with Eccleston on the receiving end. Much more pathos/tragedy/depth would be involved IMH. The ultimate we met at the wrong time in our lives/we're so different, but this makes the loss so more acute vibe to it among other things.

Imagine some day when humans may live to be 500 years old(and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility either). Now imagine you're a guy(or gal) who falls in love with a 20 year old. Could that even happen or would you be so jaded?

Or maybe not that simple as again alluded to in the show the Doc seeks out companions to help him relive the excitement of seeing things afresh, because he can't on his own. He says that to both Rose and Amy. Because of his great age he's become a vampire of youth in a way. He needs to feed from it to stay sane. That for me is one of the darkest and more uncomfortable aspects of the new Doc. The old Doc was much more detached, more alien. I remember Baker's doc saying to a woman "you're very pretty... probably". :) Very different. Don't get me wrong I do like some aspects of the more "human" doc of the new, but an uncomfortable mix would be nice dramatically.

I wish RTD had run with his original notion of having the Doc "groom" Rose as a perfect companion. A line survived into the finished article when he tells her he gave her a red bike for her 10th birthday(something like that. Help me out here :)). That would have added a low level real darkness to this character that the kids wouldn't have spotted, but the adults would have.

Like ixoy says Capaldi has some damn fine acting chops, so this could get very interesting. If Moffat is up to it. As I've said before while I rate him in a big way as a script writer who can make fantastic puzzle plots that give us all nerdgasms, he's not great at the human aspect compared to RTD.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

pixelburp wrote: »
    Peter Capaldi is an incredibly versatile, talented character actor; it would be a huge mistake to assume that because of Malcolm Tucker alone, we're going to see a tougher, harsher Doctor. I don't think this will be the case at all - I suspect we'll see a more paternal, nurturing approach from #12 (which may put more emphasis on Coleman as the audience surrogate), but yes, if and when the 'alien' aspect of the Doctor's personality will be required, Capaldi has the chops to turn on a time and be cold/distant. I think this is an inspired choice by all involved.

I see rumblings from some quarters already, despairing that the new Doctor is older & not attractive. I hope this all doesn't backfire because of this shallow demographic ... :eek:

http://youtu.be/JjAyazqtQj8

Looking at old you tube videos of Capaldi in the Thick of It where the comments have been streaming in since the announcement it is 100% positive. Imagine him telling the Daleks to F off like that etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭flazio

First Karen Gillan, now Capaldi, they do like to cast from Fires of Pompeii.
    I wonder who they'll pick as the next Master?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

But just say if Captain Jack makes another appearance on Who would they even bother to try explaining away that Jack has already met someone who is identical to the Doctor...

Or will this be ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭flazio

campo wrote: »
    But just say if Captain Jack makes another appearance on Who would they even bother to try explaining away that Jack has already met someone who is identical to the Doctor...

Or will this be ignored
    Or Donna's head explodes because the Doctor looks like that dude from Pompeii.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great choice.

Really hoped they'd go with someone older, but wasn't sure they would, so now I'm super excited about Capaldi as 12....

Advertisement