Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Next Doctor

Options
  • 01-06-2013 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Well now it's said who do you all think should be the next Doctor.

Now we will exclude John Hurt and David Tennant as otherwise will be just a thread about them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Benedict cumberbatch!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Benedict cumberbatch!

I thought that at first but somehow I just can't see it happening. He would be deadly I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Kate O'Mara ;P

I'm gonna say Tom Riley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Few rumors going around about nicholas hoult?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Sharon Horgan from Dead Boss, Richard Ayoade (Doctor Moss), Brian Cox (Professor Who), or Bill Bailey.

Gulliver wrote: »
    Sharon Horgan from Dead Boss, Richard Ayoade (Doctor Moss), Brian Cox (Professor Who), or Bill Bailey.

Doctor Moss would be brilliant. Hmm also maybe Chris O'Dowd aswell be amazing to see an irish actor as the Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Zack out of Emmerdale

Also I should have said at the start I think it should be me ;)

Coldzone wrote: »
    Doctor Moss would be brilliant. Hmm also maybe Chris O'Dowd aswell be amazing to see an irish actor as the Doctor
    I was going to include Chris too, but I thought people might think I was obsessed with the cast of the IT Crowd. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Personally would love Benedict cumberbatch but that won't happen now he is a big movie star but I also like Emmett scanlan

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

My money's on a practical unknown again.

But if Carlsberg made Doctors... Jessica Chastain, for, you know, reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Leo from Fair City.

Leo from Fair City.
    Bleedin' run!!! GERONIMOOOO-AH! *flails arms like Kermit*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Just gonna go ahead and say it... Patrick Stewart

We were all thinking it... ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Doubt it would be Hoult, he's off in Hollywoodland now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose if we separate the fantasy casting from the realistic casting choices, there are some rough guidelines, based on precedant, that can be used on possibilities.

1) How well known is the person; are they already a household name?
    1a) If already known, is it for a series of 'big' parts, or have they been 2nd billing for a while, perhaps having a stronger career on stage? Genre actors are tricky, because they can be famous among fans, but unknown in wider circles (eg, Nathan Fillion)
    2) Do they have any kind of a film career, particularly one across the Atlantic?
    3) Are they a comedian / panto / 'stunt' choice? This ain't 2003 so the Bill Baileys, Eddie Izzards, Paul Daniels, David Hasselhoff (seriously, this was reported back in the day) etc. needn't apply :D
    4) Are they British / Irish?
    5) Are they under 40?
    6) Do they have a personality all of their own? This one is pretty important tbh; what I liked about Smith, and to a lesser extend Tennant, was that both incarnations brought some of the actor's own spontaneity & verve to the role. A blank, acting-robot will be no good for playing the Doctor - you need to bring some of your own personality along.
    7) Can they do comedy?

So just by those rules alone, someone like Cumberbatch is completely out of the running. The man is the hottest English acting property around and with his burgeoning film career, there's no way he'd be available for the gig.

I think someone like Russell Tovey would form a decent template of the kind of actor you could expect; limited fame, but has done a series of decent, celebrated roles. Seems to have a bit of charm in the roles he plays, so he could be a good one. I also have a soft spot for someone like Patterson Joseph, although he's possibly struck off my own list by being over 40 :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Donal Gleeson?

Yeah, I know I'm just naming hot gingers now and he's in the new Richard Curtis film so is bound to be hot property in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

pixelburp wrote: »
    I suppose if we separate the fantasy casting from the realistic casting choices, there are some rough guidelines, based on precedant, that can be used on possibilities.

1) How well known is the person; are they already a household name?
    1a) If already known, is it for a series of 'big' parts, or have they been 2nd billing for a while, perhaps having a stronger career on stage? Genre actors are tricky, because they can be famous among fans, but unknown in wider circles (eg, Nathan Fillion)
    2) Do they have any kind of a film career, particularly one across the Atlantic?
    3) Are they a comedian / panto / 'stunt' choice? This ain't 2003 so the Bill Baileys, Eddie Izzards, Paul Daniels, David Hasselhoff (seriously, this was reported back in the day) etc. needn't apply :D
    4) Are they British / Irish?
    5) Are they under 40?
    6) Do they have a personality all of their own? This one is pretty important tbh; what I liked about Smith, and to a lesser extend Tennant, was that both incarnations brought some of the actor's own spontaneity & verve to the role. A blank, acting-robot will be no good for playing the Doctor - you need to bring some of your own personality along.
    7) Can they do comedy?

So just by those rules alone, someone like Cumberbatch is completely out of the running. The man is the hottest English acting property around and with his burgeoning film career, there's no way he'd be available for the gig.

I think someone like Russell Tovey would form a decent template of the kind of actor you could expect; limited fame, but has done a series of decent, celebrated roles. Seems to have a bit of charm in the roles he plays, so he could be a good one. I also have a soft spot for someone like Patterson Joseph, although he's possibly struck off my own list by being over 40 :D

Do they have to be under 40? I think I'd like the next Doctor to be older.It would be a very different dynamic to the whole companion relationship and could be interesting.
    But you're probably right in that the BBC wouldn't be looking at anyone over 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ParalysedBeaver

Ben Daniels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Liamalone wrote: »
    Zack out of Emmerdale

Spider from Coronation Street

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭flazio

They also need to be great with kids, both on and off the screen. Look at the way Matt performed at the last Prom, or when he reassured the girl who was afraid of the weeping angels. You need someone who's willing to engage the fandom of all ages like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Donal Gleeson?

Yeah, I know I'm just naming hot gingers now and he's in the new Richard Curtis film so is bound to be hot property in no time.

Well with both regenerations, the Doc lamented not being ginger, so it'd be nice if this time he got his wish! Plus as a ginger, I agree with the choice purely on the grounds of solidarity :D

I would love to see Jim Broadbent do it.

Be nice to have an older, more character based Doctor for a change.

Or...

Idris Elba. He would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm ginger, so I'll do it. We all know that the Doctor wants to be

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Idris Elba. He would be fantastic.
    Amazing alright!

I'm going for an unknown though.

Another one I'd like to see in the role would be Rafe Spall.. but he has kinda hit the big time now with roles in Life Of Pi and Prometheus - but he's the perfect mix of good dramatic actor and fully capable of injecting humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Cyndaquil

Henry Ian Cusack

Do they have to be under 40? I think I'd like the next Doctor to be older.It would be a very different dynamic to the whole companion relationship and could be interesting.
    But you're probably right in that the BBC wouldn't be looking at anyone over 40.

The pacing of the new show does prohibit an older person taking on the role - the Doctor is, in effect, an action hero these days & an actor in their 50s / 60s would be a little out of place (despite the current trend in cinemas for 'geriaction' films). I remember RTD joking when talking about the same subject - commenting about how ludicrous it would be to have someone like David Warner darting across the set. I'd love to see Warner as the Doctor but RTD was right.

As mentioned in the other thread, a better bet would be to pair the Doctor up with an older companion. It would make for a good narrative: the old man a young person's body vs. an actual old man/woman. A companion like that would be perfect as the voice of conscience, and it'd make for some great conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I'd throw Alex Carter in the mix, he's well liked and more than capable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

flazio wrote: »
    They also need to be great with kids, both on and off the screen. Look at the way Matt performed at the last Prom, or when he reassured the girl who was afraid of the weeping angels. You need someone who's willing to engage the fandom of all ages like that.
    +1 By all accounts Tom Baker was great with kids, while apparently being a bit of a C U Next Tuesday with over exuberant adult fans. A schoolmate of mine when he was in the UK with rellies met him and asked him for an autograph and according to him he was a really nice guy. Got down to his(kids) level.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement